Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic THF Assassin GR Build (Read 9938 times)
Nerdychaz
Waterworks Kobold

I was queer before the
ponies!

Re: THF Assassin GR Build
Reply #25 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
http://ddowiki.com/page/Attack_sequence

When you wield two weapons, even with the feats, you instantly take a -2 to attack.  Your off hand strike procs on a percentage based upon which feats you have.  You must have a light weapon in your off hand unless you have the feat Oversized Two Weapon Fighting. 

Most who play TWF dual wield two heavy weapons without the feat over-sized two weapon fighting citing a "not noticeable difference," but it is a costly error.  On a rogue, the extra feat is expensive and thus they don't take it and suffer an additional negative two.  That brings the your BAB down to 11, basically.

Really, this is was all fine and dandy until they upped the AC of many mobs and bosses on Epic difficulty.  You can still slide through levels 1-19 without much noticeable difference with a -4 to attack.

The Epic Midnight Greetings revamp has brought many back to using a light off hand weapon and changed this quite a bit. 

But why is the penalty such a big deal at high enemy AC?  Every time an assassin hits they deal 17d6 of SA dice on top of their base damage.  Missing even 5% of the time is a huge loss in DPS. 

Also, after leveling my THF assassin, I have found that where I normally cursed constructs and undead as "my weakness" they are not anymore.  I can slice through them quite easily now. 

I have never once said that my build is uber and ultimate and all must play it.  Rather, I find it a fun alternative to the cookie cutter build everyone else is playing with a definite lean towards kicking ass against epic bosses and Instakilling trash. 

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #26 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 12:36am
Print Post  
I use OTWF on my assassin (two rapiers). It really helps.

Of course, I'll be dumping it for another toughness feat after I finally finish my Epic Midnight Greetings.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2011 at 12:37am by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Throate
Waterworks Kobold

...to hear the lamentation
of them noobs

Reply #27 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 2:32am
Print Post  
So you give up a chance of 80% to deal another 17d6 + offhand weapon damage for +2 to-hit?

I say +2 to-hit because every rogue worth his salt will swap to a light offhand weapon when he notices he's missing.

Not saying your build is utter crap, i'm sure there are some nice 2HF weapons out there to play with.

But imo it can't compete with 2WF, no matter how you put it.

Especially if you haven't completely dumped int and are using EMG.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #28 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 4:32am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 12th, 2011 at 1:49am:
He posted that shit on the live forums, not once but twice?

I don't believe it, I refuse to believe humanity has fallen so far.

The actual build was only posted once.  That was the second instance.  The first was when he asked:
Which weapon is better for my THF rogue, the Bonesplitter or a triple pos maul?
People went on and on with fucking equations until they reached a resolution, but no one mentioned the glaringly HUGE problem inherent with the question until I cam along.
All of their math and debate, and the answer was simple.
The answer was neither.

It's fucking hilarious, because I got a shitload of neg rep for it.  Crybabies whining about "telling others how to play" and shit.  They were sobbing that "maybe he doesn't want to optimize it" and "not everything needs to be perfect" and shit like that.
Ummm.... he came here and asked a question about which would be best.  Translation = which would be optimized.  So don't pull that flavor shit with me.
If he wants to do more damage, he wouldn't be using either of them, so the question is flawed.

Then he posted the build in a different thread, and guess what people said?
Then he came here with it....

So you can refuse to believe that humanity has fallen that far if you want to, but you'd be deluding yourself.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2011 at 4:35am by Cale »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #29 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 4:35am
Print Post  
It lowers your to-hit, not your BAB.  There is a difference.  If you don't know what it is, you shouldn't be making builds and posting them.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #30 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Dec 14th, 2011 at 4:32am:
So you can refuse to believe that humanity has fallen that far if you want to, but you'd be deluding yourself.

Ignorance is bliss.  You have shattered all my hopes and dreams for humanity.  Dashed them upon the rocks of despair.  Poisoned them with reality and truths.

I hope you are happy.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Nerdychaz
Waterworks Kobold

I was queer before the
ponies!

Reply #31 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Dec 14th, 2011 at 4:35am:
It lowers your to-hit, not your BAB.  There is a difference.  If you don't know what it is, you shouldn't be making builds and posting them.

Oh, so sorry, I tried to say to hit but had people upset about that.  So from now on I will just say it lowers your sex drive.  Can we all work with that?

Everyone always brings up DPS, DPS is not the pure intent of the build.  If DPS calculations were the only concern in the game, I would stick to a spreadsheet.  It is about a higher to-hit, lowered gear requirements, higher base damage, AoE sneak attacks (via cleave), shit tons of skill points, Fortification breaking, and a ridiculously awesome possible assassinate check.  Yes, it is not optimum DPS, it is optimum assassinate, overcoming the rogue's weaknesses, and adding more versatility.

Frankly, I saw someone intending to play an assassin III THF build.  I offered my advice based on my experience, as I play a quite successful soloable THF rogue as my main and a quarterstaff build in my dedicated group.  Do you have an constuctive advice or experience for this person?  I am sorry if the concept is a bit hard for your little mind to grasp, but I can't really simplify the concept when you only measure DPS.  Please, continue playing the same build as everyone else and have fun, being like everyone else.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #32 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Nerdychaz wrote on Dec 16th, 2011 at 7:23pm:
Oh, so sorry, I tried to say to hit but had people upset about that.  So from now on I will just say it lowers your sex drive.  Can we all work with that?

Everyone always brings up DPS, DPS is not the pure intent of the build.  If DPS calculations were the only concern in the game, I would stick to a spreadsheet.  It is about a higher to-hit, lowered gear requirements, higher base damage, AoE sneak attacks (via cleave), shit tons of skill points, Fortification breaking, and a ridiculously awesome possible assassinate check.  Yes, it is not optimum DPS, it is optimum assassinate, overcoming the rogue's weaknesses, and adding more versatility.

Frankly, I saw someone intending to play an assassin III THF build.  I offered my advice based on my experience, as I play a quite successful soloable THF rogue as my main and a quarterstaff build in my dedicated group.  Do you have an constuctive advice or experience for this person?  I am sorry if the concept is a bit hard for your little mind to grasp, but I can't really simplify the concept when you only measure DPS.  Please, continue playing the same build as everyone else and have fun, being like everyone else. 

Everytime I read a post about in this thread you made, I think, wow you are fucking retarded.

1.  Rogues don't have a problem hitting, unless they have aggro.
2.  Your optimum assassinate isn't optimum. 
3.  You may want to look up the meaning of the word optimum so you know what you are talking about.
4.  Rogues don't have a problem with fortification anymore.
5.  Rogues don't have high gear requirements.
6.  Rogues already have plenty of skill points, hence why they invest them in stupid worthless shit.
7.  Are you seriously equating the difference between to-hit and bab to my sex drive? When you get more pathetic, let me know.
8.  A rogues weakness is shitty players, that is it.  Hence why I hate them.
9.  Your ridiculously high asassinate dc as you call it makes me laugh.
10.  You need a hug, bring it in big guy  Sad

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

wowo
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Nerdychaz wrote on Dec 16th, 2011 at 7:23pm:

You're looking at at least +4 effective assassinate DC from dual wielding over a single weapon. +6 when you include EMG in the offhand (unless you are single wielding an EMG?!) No THF'ing build is going to keep up in terms of assassinate as what a TWF'ing build will put out.

I don't like playing the same build as everyone else but at the same time I wouldn't want to play a worthless fucking gimp either.

Hence I went with an unarmed rogue 18 / 2 monk tactics/DPS build. It works wonderfully and has all the uniqueness that I like without inviting massive ridicule like your build is worthy of. Worst that can be said about it is that it is fucking ugly (but that's what /show helm/goggles is for).

Your build is the sort of unique that has its own bus service.

IP Logged

(.)
Waterworks Kobold

Ebading a van XD

Reply #34 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 4:54pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint