Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Cleric Advice (Read 24637 times)
Goaticorn
DQ Assaulter

Re: Cleric Advice
Reply #50 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 5:49pm:
One thing I have been learning on my cleric is how to better assess the developing party and bail if necessary. I just escaped what is probably going to be a fail VoD when I realized there was no adequate CC, no threat tank, and two players with sub-300 hp. holy moly.

See, on another toon I'd probably run it anyway, for the lolz. But on my healer? Hell no.

I actually have healed a few parties like this.  In part because I was trying to figure out what I was doing and it is the really challenging parties that help us to develop into strong healers.  Not that I am one in any way, just saying the challenge is sometimes worth it because you learn to manage the party while you are under pressure.  It makes the good runs that much easier, plus you know what to do if things go south :p

The one thing I would say is in these dooOOoOOooOOOOm runs, do not use pots.  If someone hands you one maybe, but I would never use my own posts for a run like that.

kmack wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 5:52pm:
If you need to heal in this part get a new group use bursts.

Don't forget to keep aura running!  You may not need to burst if you have your aura up :p

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #51 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
EChrono

As you first step in make sure you cast mass deathward on the party.

In the first part position yourself near where the caster spawns. As the ritual gets underway put a symbol of death over where they will spawn then you should be able to destroy them with implosion. Other than that spot heal and let your CC/melee handle the rest.

In the run to the bank your party probably won't expect too much of you other than the occasional spot heal.

In the bank you should be able to keep most people healed with heal scrolls and perhaps the occasional mass heal on the party. Use DP on bloodplate in-between hjeals. Avoid BB or cometfall in this quest as all you will do is draw the aggro of the devils. Let the CC's take care of trash and the melee will clean up in-between rounds with bloodplate.

In the next part use searing light to draw razorarm close enough to get a full stack of DP's on him. Once he climbs the stairs hide behind your melee and keep the dots coming. CC should handle the trash, just make sure to keep your aura up and occasionally check the red bar. Once the fight with razor arm is over go ahead and use the shrine at the bottom making sure you pick up break enchantment. (You can use the shrine in the rusty nail if you have to ddoor back for mana.)

In the final boss fight one healer will be assigned to the tank and the other to the party. If you are assigned to the tank you should be able to keep them up with scrolls for the most part. If you don't know the visual cues for break enchantment just let the party know and be ready to cast it when they call for it. Keep your aura up and avoid drawing any aggro when trash spawns since your only important role is keeping the tank up. If you are assigned to the party then use heal scrolls and remind anyone taking lots of damage to reposition themselves on the "back" end of the boss. Use mass heals as necessary. When trash spawns you can use implosion if it's effective otherwise save your mana since you'll be relieving the tank healer if they need to shrine. DI is nice to use on the tank, even though they'll lose aggro if they drop they won't actually die so they won't lose ship buffs/any other buffs the party has cast on them.

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #52 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Goaticorn wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:22pm:
Don't forget to keep aura running!  You may not need to burst if you have your aura up :p

I agree with that. I actually try to keep my aura running all the time, it's especially useful if you get knocked down/held cause you forgot FOM.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Goaticorn wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:22pm:
I actually have healed a few parties like this.  In part because I was trying to figure out what I was doing and it is the really challenging parties that help us to develop into strong healers.  Not that I am one in any way, just saying the challenge is sometimes worth it because you learn to manage the party while you are under pressure.  It makes the good runs that much easier, plus you know what to do if things go south :p

The one thing I would say is in these dooOOoOOooOOOOm runs, do not use pots.  If someone hands you one maybe, but I would never use my own posts for a run like that.

If it was a different raid, maybe. I'm not going to run all the hell out to VoD to fail.

Quote:

I almost always do. Free healing ftw.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

Goaticorn
DQ Assaulter

Reply #54 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:36pm:
If it was a different raid, maybe. I'm not going to run all the hell out to VoD to fail.
Understandable, though there are worse (LoB and MA I cringe at the thought of pure pug of either of those).

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #55 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Reaver's Fate

Could probably use aura/burst heals and do just fine in this one. But if you don't want to pike it...

Run out behind the whoever has aggro and grab your charge. Use your unlimited power to keep the party healed/buffed while handing out whatever form of death you find most pleasing. (banishment/implosion works well on the air ele's, you can stack DP on the reaver but if you're in a PUG you may not want to help them wear him down before it's time.

Once the reaver drops head over into the puzzle room and set up lots of BB's all over the place then climb back up the stairs. You don't have to kill everything just focus on keeping the annoying whisps of air away from those working on the puzzle. If you did a good job of keeping your charge then it's lots of fun to grab fly from the Reaver then hover over the crowd below raining down death from above in the form of cometfall/searing light.

Most importantly, if you get the madstone boots be sure to loot them. Then if you're ever in a group you don't want to heal claim madstone rage and link the boots. Not great for your rep among random puggers but amazing for the rest of us you tell the story to.  Grin

IP Logged

Nancy
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Goaticorn wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 5:35pm:
Start with
What I am saying to you Nancy is that there are 38 posts in this thread 9 of which are you and nearly half of them are attacking someone.

and what I am saying to you is that I was responding to Calvet's attacks.  Grace had it right when she said "you TWO shut up." I respect that she was not cowed by the make attacker and told us both to go to Hell.  I was on topic, giving cheerful cleric advice to her.  So I would say you are counting my responses to Calvet and not his attacks.  I would say that I mentioned this to you before, and all you did was count up all my responses to Calvet.  So, I would say that your failure to bring it to the instigator, Calvet too is tellng.  The boys don't bite.  Call 'em out too.  Don't be cowed.  Grace wasn't. 

Edit:  that said I am not pleased to be working another 12-hour day yet another weekend day, so I will try to be less of a grumpy bear.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:01pm by »  

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #57 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
kmack wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 4:44pm:
When in HoX make sure the group leader is going to use the patrol method.

This is where I put you on my mental Ignore List.
Unless you're running elite with a less than desirable group, this will in-fucking-variably create more problems than it solves.  If there are newbies in the group then your strategy is an almost guaranteed wipe.

You know the rest of your raid specific advice that followed in later posts?  Yeah, I ignored all of it and didn't waste my time reading it.

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #58 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
HoX

There are two healer roles, one for the tank/dogs and one for the party. `If you are selected to heal the tank then swap between using heal scrolls and tossing heals as needed. If you're Sovereign then Unyielding can come in handy here as well should the tank get low with beez. Once the dogs are charmed then your role changes based off of the tank. If the tank can maintain aggro with the dogs on the back side then concentrate on healing the tank while occasionally checking the HP of the puppies and tossing a mass heal to cover the tank and dogs when needed.

If you're assigned to heal the party then run around with the party and keep them healed. This should be really easy unless your party is not patrolling and is collapsing instead. At that point good luck, get your pots ready. The main thing you need to be aware of is what's going on with the other healer. If they get low on mana or should drop for some reason then you have to get into the middle to take over healing and get them rez'd (in that order) as quickly as possible.

Decent shield and necklace in this raid for ya. I have the third on my DT armor but typically don't 3 piece it.

Oh yeah... did I mention that you shouldn't agree to do this one using the collapse method?

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
I hate the patrol method and only do it when it's absolutely clear that the party is totally reluctant and uncomfortable with anything else. I agree with Cale that the patrol method causes more problems. But to each his own.

she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #60 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
kmack wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:21pm:
HoX

There are two healer roles, one for the tank/dogs and one for the party. `If you are selected to heal the tank then swap between using heal scrolls and tossing heals as needed. If you're Sovereign then Unyielding can come in handy here as well should the tank get low with beez. Once the dogs are charmed then your role changes based off of the tank. If the tank can maintain aggro with the dogs on the back side then concentrate on healing the tank while occasionally checking the HP of the puppies and tossing a mass heal to cover the tank and dogs when needed.

If you're assigned to heal the party then run around with the party and keep them healed. This should be really easy unless your party is not patrolling and is collapsing instead. At that point good luck, get your pots ready. The main thing you need to be aware of is what's going on with the other healer. If they get low on mana or should drop for some reason then you have to get into the middle to take over healing and get them rez'd (in that order) as quickly as possible.

Decent shield and necklace in this raid for ya. I have the third on my DT armor but typically don't 3 piece it.

Oh yeah... did I mention that you shouldn't agree to do this one using the collapse method?

The reason you need to drink so many pots is because there's only one healer on the tank in your runs.
Zero healers go outside with the party.  All healers head in and scroll heal the tank.  The idiots outside are running as a group, and if 8 or 9 fucking people can't handle a few renders then you're fucked any way you look at it.
When the group running has the stones, they head in.  They split up and cover the outside, staying in the center, but watching the outside for possible renders, eventual beholders if the group sucks.  As long as they stay in the middle, nothing will ever aggro on them and the mobs running around outside will do just that: run around outside.
As you were using scrolls to heal the tank, you have a full blue bar for when the puppies need it.

Guess what?  You just completed the easiest HoX you've ever run.
Enjoy.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #61 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Conversely, with the patrol method, some fucking noob will start to get his ass kicked, shit his pants, run into the middle like an idiot, and drag a fucking freight train of renders in behind him.

Which method sounds more likely to wipe?

(and where the fuck did the Modify button go?)

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Yeah, one method is everyone together/easier to heal/far less trash. The other is everyone all over the place/more trash. If a bunch of drunks can complete it on hard multiple times every week using collapse, I would think anyone can.

she's Kmack's property

Quote:

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #63 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:39pm:
As long as they stay in the middle, nothing will ever aggro on them and the mobs running around outside will do just that: run around outside.

Until you need moar stones. Then the party wipes. Enjoy.

Zero healers go outside with the party.  All healers head in and scroll heal the tank.

Typically the groups I'm in have the bard head in with the Cleric or FVS assigned to the tank. My post did assume a balanced group. I was focusing on the two roles typically assigned to the healer.

The idiots outside are running as a group, and if 8 or 9 fucking people can't handle a few renders then you're fucked any way you look at it.

Especially if you need moar stones and haven't been on patrol keeping the hoard in check.

Anyway, started a discussion on this so we don't clog up Grace's thread just on HoX. I'll respond there if ya want to discuss further.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #64 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
kmack wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:54pm:
Until you need moar stones. Then the party wipes. Enjoy.

Are you running elite every time?
Because if you need more stones, and you're not running elite, then you need to uninstall the fucking game, and so does everyone in your party.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #65 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
If you need more stones, everyone goes out together and grabs stones. It's way better than having everyone all over the map getting picked off by mobs. I'd rather deal with the trash on the outside with 7 more people than 1.

she's Kmack's property

Quote:

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #66 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
My post did assume a balanced group.

Right, because you need a balanced group to run HoX.  I forgot that part.
Shocked

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #67 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:57pm:
Are you running elite every time?Because if you need more stones, and you're not running elite, then you need to uninstall the fucking game, and so does everyone in your party.

Grace and Gawna, what difficulty did we fail that HoX on the other day?

Grace wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:58pm:
goes out together and grabs stones. It's way better than having everyone all over the map getting picked off by mobs. I'd rather deal with the trash on the outside with 7 more people than 1.

That isn't how patrol works. Cleric, bard and tank on inside. Everyone else moving as a group on the outside until small beholders spawn. At that point half run opposite direction, once the group meets up at which point they move together again. You kill more mobs throughout the quest but never have to take on a huge number all at once. We always designate people to run stones to the center, everyone else lives and dies on the outside.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #68 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
and if 8 or 9 fucking people can't handle a few renders then you're fucked any way you look at it.

Especially if you need moar stones and haven't been on patrol keeping the hoard in check.

Anyway, started a discussion on this so we don't clog up Grace's thread just on HoX. I'll respond there if ya want to discuss further.

OK, so we'll do it in this thread.
As to the needing moar stones and wiping in an effort to get them, you have my answer in your post.  You quoted it.  I left it here as a multi-quote for you to take a gander at.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #69 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Two more things. If you are in normal Shroud/ToD/VoD/whatever where everyone surrounds and beats on a boss join in melee. If you have mediocre HP you will live and if my cleric with a base strength of 8 and a base dreamspitter can hit Harry so can yours. The damage you will do is insignificant. What is important is that you never need to stop targeting the boss to throw a mass heal. Once you do this it becomes mush easier to keep DP up efficiently and to heal the party. If you are too squishy at the moment just go in and shield block instead of auto attack so you can still get sp from con-opp/torc. Remember, greensteel con-opp from a weapon and from an accessory stack with each other.

Nancy will back me up on this second one. If you have been awake for 35+ hours with absolutely no sleep don't join anything on your cleric. Or you will have a brain fart at a critical moment and some puppies will die. I have no idea how we actually beat that hound run. Nancy how did we manage to complete that run again? I can't really remember anything from that night. I think I had the star, or at least started the raid. Why the fuck did I think that would be a good idea. I must have had some oxygen deprivation the the brain or something. Oh wait...

Actually just don't do anything when you have been up that long. Unless you are Hordo and/or on a bard. If you are at least one of those two things you are golden because no one will care.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #70 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
kmack wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:06pm:
Grace and Gawna, what difficulty did we fail that HoX on the other day?

It was on hard. And as I said earlier, when the group is clearly uncomfortable with the collapse method and insists it's going to fail, then it will probably fail, just like any other method in any other quest. That's why I said go ahead and do it patrol the second time - not because I think it's better, but because the group was asphyxiating thinking about collapsing.

Quote:
That isn't how patrol works. Cleric, bard and tank on inside. Everyone else moving as a group on the outside until small beholders spawn. At that point half run opposite direction, once the group meets up at which point they move together again. You kill more mobs throughout the quest but never have to take on a huge number all at once. We always designate people to run stones to the center, everyone else lives and dies on the outside.

So when they split up, you have 2-3 people instead of 6-7. My point is made.

she's Kmack's property

Quote:

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #71 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:15pm:
And as I said earlier, when the group is clearly uncomfortable with the collapse method and insists it's going to fail, then it will probably fail, just like any other method in any other quest.

Yes we talked ourselves into failing it. We failed because we refused to accept it would work. (or we failed when people had to go get more stones which is what actually happened Tongue everyone actually followed directions that run)

Grace wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:15pm:
So when they split up, you have 2-3 people instead of 6-7. My point is made.

Having one group of 5 and one group of 4 clearing the small number of things which spawned on the outside is hardly "everyone all over the map getting picked off by mobs."

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Except what happens in reality is...everyone is all over the map getting picked off by mobs. And THAT is what happened when we failed before.

ETA: Well, that and issues with people bringing trash into the center.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:53pm by Grace »  

she's Kmack's property

Quote:

IP Logged

Nancy
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:48pm:
ETA: Well, that and issues with people bringing trash into the center.

Yeah, Hound is a really good example of a raid you do differently with PUGs then you do good people.  And a situation where you don't rez people and revert to your 4 good people to complete the quest if the PUGs are screwing it up.  As long as one of your good people is a bard or a cster, and you made some progress, should work.  Symbol of death again. 

There's a sweet spot on the map for collapse -- far enough in not to pull aggro, but still in the corridor to the center and not fully in the center.  That's a good place for good melee to stand.

Similarly, there's a sweet spot on the TOD map.  Where you can heal both tanks if need be.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #74 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
I used to get really nervous about hjealing and then Strakeln told me that it is so laid back.  He said when he was feeling lazy, he would just hop on his cleric and watch red bars.  Grin  This was, of course, back in the day before we even HAD blade barriers - remember those days??  And Strake was totally right.  I have a harder time healing on my FvS since she's melee based and I hate muti tasking.

Nancy had some awesome advice in the wall of text on page 1. Smiley  Definitely worth reading and not just mocking.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint