Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Cleric Advice (Read 24640 times)
stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Re: Cleric Advice
Reply #75 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I used to get really nervous about hjealing and then Strakeln told me that it is so laid back.  He said when he was feeling lazy, he would just hop on his cleric and watch red bars.  Grin  This was, of course, back in the day before we even HAD blade barriers - remember those days??  And Strake was totally right.  I have a harder time healing on my FvS since she's melee based and I hate muti tasking.

Nancy had some awesome advice in the wall of text on page 1. Smiley  Definitely worth reading and not just mocking.

If a rogue dies and the monks live, you are timing your mass heals in the right intervals. If the rogues and monks die, you are waiting to long.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #76 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:12pm:
If a rogue dies and the monks live, you are timing your mass heals in the right intervals. If the rogues and monks die, you are waiting to long.

Is that why Winnar was always dead on her first life?

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #77 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Definitely not worth reading and just mocking.

Yes.

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #78 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Is that why Winnar was always dead?

Yes.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #79 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Belwaar wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:20pm:
Yes.

Grin

IP Logged

Nancy
Ex Member

Reply #80 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 10:05pm:
Nancy will back me up on this second one. ***I have no idea how we actually beat that hound run. Nancy how did we manage to complete that run again? *** Actually just don't do anything when you have been up that long. Unless you are Hordo and/or on a bard. If you are at least one of those two things you are golden because no one will care.

1.  I am not sure which part I am supposed to back you up on, but ysr.
2. As to the completion, it was magic.  Dark magic.  /game of thrones.  I LOVE PUG hounds, for all the reasons my husband hates 'em.  The cleric mindset there is like this:  if they mostly all fuck it up, rez only the competent ones, hum The Breeders' Cannonball, and take the plunge, 'cause it is showtime.  I have seen, say, Othea do some amazing things at level elite and always tried to backward engineer his moves.  Situational awareness city. But to your question, the bard and the monk (the latter was ER or Ransack, I think) were teaming and good.  You will recall, lol, that my husband was on that run too and didn't get an early raise.  "It's not personal, sweetie, it's just business." 
3.  Approve of the Hordo reference.  He's so intentionally trying to be cute in Khyber, and he totally works it as the Khyber mascot.
4.  One reason to send tells mid-quest is so NOT to clog up the COM at key moments.  I recall audio communications being useless as people uttered various defenses on why they were being useless.  First responders first aid types are often trained to trust their eyes, not ears, when say they arrive at a train wreck.  The screaming baby has good lung function.  The semi-comatose moaning adult with shallow breathing might need triage first.  The puppies don't talk but they really matter.  Wink
5.  You were really sleepy.  You kept saying "you know who I am, right?"  Not sure why, perhaps pride?  Like ooooo "I have a Vault logon."  It amused me.  I don't play differently with assholes who post here, if you were worried I would.  I know I am playing a game. Some PUGs had difficulty getting to quest.  I dare say you lost snother hour of sleep right there. Totally fun run.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:53pm by »  

IP Logged

Nancy
Ex Member

Reply #81 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 5:35pm:
My best advice on playing a cleric is to TR into a FvS as soon as possible.

People I really trust say that.  My FVS bores me.  Maybe just needs more gear or I have the playstyle wrong.   I dislike my Fvs's play.

Gawna, it may have something to do with what you mentioned: mine is melee too.  I think that's a problem.

Calvet, yeah, thanks for giving my Sorc a backpack ride.  Mostly farmed that with Jennafer and a guildie, with some more if the same. It is just a pl I am getting through in what little time I have had to play what with work nonstoo these 3 weeks.  So I am tired and definitely not saying the Sorc is uber....  Probably we should take Grace's hint/demand, so I will let you take that swipe and let's give it a rest, shall we?

Grace, I think I said this but def. at least3 levels on wand/scrolls, and don't laugh at old school healers like Twoheals that use cure crit wands in endame.  Check out the cast timecompared to heal scrolls.  Helps to mix em in.  Also should mention: shroud advanced:  you see low wiz killcount in part 1.  You clear portals.  You check map halfway through part 2.  Caster is not in position.  You go to crystal, turn on max and quicken, and alternate cometfall and searing light to take down crystal.  Dp is too slow.  Start with cometfall.  Eardweller enhanced.

Finally, in ddo blog Pjstechie has a good article on raid-specific clericing.  But mostly it is a mindset, and asking for advice reveals a good mindset.  As Bialdi once said, people in good time find the class that is best for them.  Playing a cleric poorly is easy.  Since playstyle for any class is key, takes some practice always.  Everyone has tomake their hotkeys work with their playstyle.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2012 at 5:27pm by »  

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #82 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
People I really trust say that.  My FVS bores me.  Maybe just needs more gear or I have the playstyle wrong.   I dislike my Fvs's play.

mmm. I adore my FvS (just a boring old human based on Matuse's Superior Soul build on forums) but I detest playing my cleric. I don't know if it's the DR, or that she's designed to be more melee debuff while still instakill capable or what, but my poor cleric is far better geared and gets the shaft because I spend all my time on the Soul.

Don't know what to do about that, really. Of course the epic Scirocco and Epic Timeblade help a lot (I use her mainly as challenge runner / scroll farmer, should really work on soloing epics more as I get a kick out of it but time is not on my side, alas) but I find her way more relaxing to heal on because of the SP and capstone and way more fun to solo on because I'm not out of options when out of mana.

Dunno what I'll do with my cleric really. Am waiting to see how druid shapes up, may go there - will put the slowest completionist in DDO through a druid life and have a think, I think Wink

IP Logged

Nancy
Ex Member

Reply #83 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Yeah Ter your FVS is way better and it is melee.  It is a playstyle thing.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are

Reply #84 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yeah Ter your FVS is way better and it is melee.  It is a playstyle thing. 

Yeah, I think. My running partner plays his cleric like it's an invincible killing machine and it works brilliantly. I'm too aware of the limitations I think to be really comfortable, and too aware of the differences in playstyle.

I will either go clonk or dronk on the pure cleric in the end I think. Certainly a melee hybrid of some sort or the other. Just don't find the capstone good enough to keep since the Abbot change (and TBH I hate Abbot with a passion so it was more a millstone around my neck than anything then).

Sorry, Grace. To bring it back, there's this sort of sweet spot where divines work for you, just need to find it. Personally I'm much happier being able to do all 3 of the key roles in one toon but it just depends on what you want to achieve with the toon, really.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #85 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
I really hated my cleric when I first rolled her up, which was maybe 6 months or so after I started playing. I think it was too soon, and being a divine requires a lot more understanding of the game front-loaded, or at least I'm more comfortable with it that way. When I dragged it out again a month ago, I had a blast and leveled the shit out of her.

But now that I've capped her, I think I'm actually going to TR her again fast. She's a 28 pt build, and with the stone of experience thing going on it's just too easy to boost her a bit. Though, I wish I had time to run her through a sorc life and then another cleric cap, because the evoc DC would be so much more beneficial than another cleric life. But the expansion will be out in a couple weeks, and I want her capped as a cleric when that happens. Though, I'd dearly love to skip through 8 levels of a sorc life. I kinda hate playing arcanes.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #86 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 5:39pm:
mmm. I adore my FvS (just a boring old human based on Matuse's Superior Soul build on forums) but I detest playing my cleric. I don't know if it's the DR, or that she's designed to be more melee debuff while still instakill capable or what, but my poor cleric is far better geared and gets the shaft because I spend all my time on the Soul.

Don't know what to do about that, really. Of course the epic Scirocco and Epic Timeblade help a lot (I use her mainly as challenge runner / scroll farmer, should really work on soloing epics more as I get a kick out of it but time is not on my side, alas) but I find her way more relaxing to heal on because of the SP and capstone and way more fun to solo on because I'm not out of options when out of mana.

Dunno what I'll do with my cleric really. Am waiting to see how druid shapes up, may go there - will put the slowest completionist in DDO through a druid life and have a think, I think Wink

Wings

Even castrated as they are, they're still the best thing in the game

IP Logged

Enoach
Korthos Resident

Paladins, Wizards and
Clerics Oh my!

Reply #87 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
The best advice to give any Divine taking on a primary healing role

Of everyone in the party, your #1 in your healing order

Basically if your not alive you can't help your party stay alive.

The next best advice I can give is

They are your resources, you pick how you want to use them

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are

Reply #88 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 6:41pm:
I really hated my cleric when I first rolled her up, which was maybe 6 months or so after I started playing. I think it was too soon, and being a divine requires a lot more understanding of the game front-loaded, or at least I'm more comfortable with it that way. When I dragged it out again a month ago, I had a blast and leveled the shit out of her.

But now that I've capped her, I think I'm actually going to TR her again fast. She's a 28 pt build, and with the stone of experience thing going on it's just too easy to boost her a bit. Though, I wish I had time to run her through a sorc life and then another cleric cap, because the evoc DC would be so much more beneficial than another cleric life. But the expansion will be out in a couple weeks, and I want her capped as a cleric when that happens. Though, I'd dearly love to skip through 8 levels of a sorc life. I kinda hate playing arcanes.

Grace, I'd just go do the sorc life. You know it will be chaos for a little bit when the expansion comes out, and it's not hard to PUGGle on a cleric if you need to (hard on your blood pressure, perhaps, but that's a wee bit different Wink )

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are

Reply #89 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:00pm:
Wings

Even castrated as they are, they're still the best thing in the game

I guess I could go pure evoker, for sure. Meh. Not a primary project. At the moment my cleric is my opener and my crafting toon Wink

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #90 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 8:15pm:
I guess I could go pure evoker, for sure. Meh. Not a primary project. At the moment my cleric is my opener and my crafting toon Wink

But clerics run slow!!! Cheesy

IP Logged

hgm-chi
Dragon Raider

Meh.

Reply #91 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 5:39pm:

I play an evoker FvS, a melee Fvs (WF) and I've got a human one like yours (it sounds like) at about level 15.  I also have a cleric that was my first character.  I love playing all of them.  My cleric is a high hitpoint dwarf that can stand in the mix and radiate/blast and implode/destruct along with the melees keeping everyone up no problem, my evoker FvS blades/kites/wings with implosion and destruction, and WF is a killing machine with sword and blade barrier.  So much fun on all of them.

The human melee I started up a while back thinking to make him like that WF but with healing word and heal amp for survivability.  He's actually working out good, but I have so many alts he gets stalled a lot.

I'd offer advice to the OP about playing a divine, but I do such a shitty job playing mine that I wouldn't feel good about it.  It's kinda all about anticipating when the burst damage is going to hit and where, and being ready for it.  Sometimes I'm on, but quite often I'm not.  The times when you're on are awesome... keeping Dots up, keeping the party up, harming the PM Wizzie right when he needs it, nailing trash with destruction as it runs by...

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #92 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
5.  You were really sleepy.  You kept saying "you know who I am, right?"  Not sure why, perhaps pride?  Like ooooo "I have a Vault logon."  It amused me.  I don't play differently with assholes who post here, if you were worried I would.  I know I am playing a game. Some PUGs had difficulty getting to quest.  I dare say you lost snother hour of sleep right there. Totally fun run.

By then I was going up and down between crashing hard and being awake and very alert. During the hound run I was crashing hard. I think I was just surprised at how nice you were being. Or maybe I was just being really stupid that night. I'm going to go with stupid.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2012 at 3:11pm by JC »  

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Nancy
Ex Member

Reply #93 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
hgm-chi wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:46pm:
It's kinda all about anticipating when the burst damage is going to hit and where, and being ready for it.  Sometimes I'm on....

like basketball:  helps to envision the near future status of players on the court, 3 seconds from now

Often a mistake to commit to a vision of the future 15-seconds hence

IP Logged

pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Reply #94 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:31am
Print Post  
As others have said - the first rule of Cleric club is "Cleric, heal thyself". The 2nd rule is "my SP is MY SP, I will use it as I see fit". Sometimes that means a Cometfall to knock down 3 or 4 giants in Elite TOR, or a Quickened Energy Drain/Destruction combo in Epic Deeps to take out a caster, sometimes that means standing back and doing nothing but Heal scrolls/Mass Heals/Radiant Servant Bursts in ToD.

Finally, 3rd rule: never, never, never chase a player to heal them. This is a fruitless endeavor, because by the time you catch them they're surrounded by half the mobs in the dungeon, who then turn on you after they've killed the other guy :p

I love playing Clerics, but sometimes you need to be absolutely ruthless in determining who lives or dies, and you need a very, very thick skin...

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #95 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Just let them die, then BB and DP everything.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Goaticorn
DQ Assaulter

Reply #96 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:41am:
DP everything

not DP, save that for later.  Implosion, destruction and slay living with that BB!

IP Logged

Kannyaheals
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #97 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
I read the thread, but I'm going to be repeating some people's points, just cuz they're that damned important. Cheesy

1. Some toons just need to die. That super squishy rogue that constantly draws aggro...the barbarian with no hp or healing amp...the fleshy sorc/wiz with no self-healing ability. If they are being an inordinate drain on your resources, fuck 'em.

2. Don't be afraid to call somebody out. There are times that a gentle /tell gets the point across...then there are moments when you shout "Hey, fuckwit! Pull it together."

3. Don't ever, EVER raise the squishy fuck in point #1. He will invariably charge back into the fight as buff-naked as the day he was born, and die again. Not worth the scroll, or the sp.

4. Join those PUGs. It's the fastest way to learn how to pull a raid out of the fire by its ears.

5. The leader isn't always right. If his way isn't working, and the raid isn't completely in the shitter, you still have a chance to make it happen. Cheesy

6. Do NOT ever, ever ever ever let the AA, sorc, wiz, whatever...stand in your aura when they have a bosses aggro. They're close enough to you to benefit, but that means that when elite Harry gets pissy, you get nailed with the meteor swarm.

7. You have to be alive to keep everyone else alive...or kill bad guys. If it's down to you or the tank, the tank has got to bite it. Cuz he's gonna as soon as you're dead anyway. Be prepared to take the heat for it.

8. The one's that don't have healers/divines are the ones with the loudest voices. You will get far more shit from folks that don't have a clue about how different the game is when you play a Soul/cleric. Ignore them.

9. Don't expect a return on the resources you use. That way, when someone does chuck you a pot, or a piece of gear, it's a pleasant surprise.

10. Moving is critical. Nancy hit that one on the head for sure. Be the fucking bunny hopping around the place, it may just be the difference between life and death.

11. Always have heal scrolls. Always. It may not be your playstyle, but it's often the difference between chugging pots or making it through without.

12. There is a rhythm to healing. This is clear in raids like Shroud and EV6...the damage is reasonably consistent, so you can time your heals appropriately. I run with quicken and emp healing on all the time.

13. Know what the raid needs to complete, and run like hell if it's not joining the group. I can't count how many raids I've been in full of squishy melee, no tank, no CC...See the wreck before it happens and maybe dodge the bullet.

I reserve the right to add more when my brain isn't mush. Cheesy

IP Logged

Nancy
Ex Member

Reply #98 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Kannyaheals wrote on Jun 6th, 2012 at 4:59pm:
I read the thread, but I'm going to be repeating some people's points, just cuz they're that damned important. Cheesy

1. Some toons just need to die....the barbarian with no hp or healing amp...

6. Do NOT ever, ever ever ever let the AA, sorc, wiz, whatever...stand in your aura when they have a bosses aggro. They're close enough to you to benefit, but that means that when elite Harry gets pissy, you get nailed with the meteor ....

10. Moving is critical. Nancy hit that one on the head for sure. Be the fucking bunny hopping around the place, it may just be the difference between life and death.

12. ... I run with quicken and emp healing on all the time.

Mostly agree.  Note the synergy between 10 and 6.  I have heard casters say "hey stay still"!  For some quests like that water ellie into the deep fight that's a legit request, or at least do tight figure 8s about 'em.  But oft times the best move is to haste thyself away.

Re 12.  Mmmm, not so sure about that.

Re 1.  There are very good barbs who have very good reasons for less than stellar healing amp.  The way at least most raids are set up, there are little pre-battle skirmishes that let me see if I am working with a killer I should be eager to invest in.  And really if you have empower always on, not that hard to heal the mediocre one.  I can't see their exact damage numbers, so there's a rebuttable presumption that they aee doing something.  I am avowed enabler, I suppose.  I want even those that should die to live if it doesn't mean potting.  I cut people off when I really have to.  I am harsher on Rezzes: I am thinking in pugs, "if you weren't helping to begin with, there may be a brief delay while we straighten out the room before you enjoy its placid comfort...."

You mention fucking bunny, so, deferring to the expert, I await Azog's input.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2012 at 5:42pm by »  

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #99 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Kanny also likes to yell at the WF Arti that took Improved Fortification.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint