Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Layoffs at Turbine (Read 31245 times)
rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: Layoffs at Turbine
Reply #75 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Eyeran wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 5:20pm:
Yes, there's a few nice things, I'm not saying it's all bad, but I just felt they didn't have a good grasp on the role of a bard at all.  No boosts to healing, not much in the way of party buffs, and a general watering down of all the bard songs.  They were trying though, and that's the most important part.

I also thought it was cool to have 768943268765784627386874326872 songs. I never once came even close to using them all. Ever. And I played spellsong vigor for everyone with a blue bar. Even barbs  Grin

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #76 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
its about time someone started 2-checking the incompetent folks working at turbine. Sadly, it took major revenue losses that wont be replacable. Reap what you sow motherfuckers.

to feather of suck: quality employees dont need to tell folks how good they are. They know it and their work shows. You work is crap so you need to do this.

your next. hope you saved your paychecks.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2012 at 7:52pm by mystafyi »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #77 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
next page plz

IP Logged

Allo
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #78 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
where does it say they had major revenue losses?

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #79 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Allo wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:22pm:
where does it say they had major revenue losses?

It doesn't. People are speculating.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #80 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:29pm:
It doesn't. People are speculating.

When there are layoffs and restructuring, it's not because a business is doing good. Sad

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #81 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
mudfud wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:55pm:
When there are layoffs and restructuring, it's not because a business is doing good. http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Smoak.png

I agree that is probably the case, but there is a theory that it was downsizing from the expansion (LOTR and DDO).

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #82 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
I think it was at least implied when they brought extra people on to get the expansion done that those people wouldn't necessarily stick around after.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #83 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 1:54am
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:59pm:
I think it was at least implied when they brought extra people on to get the expansion done that those people wouldn't necessarily stick around after.

True. i'd read from Breca's post on the main forums tat they at least weren't expecting it though. Perhaps they are just the eternal optimist.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #84 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 1:58am
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:59pm:

yip, you dont restructure for short term contract employee's.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #85 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 8:43am
Print Post  
When there are layoffs and restructuring, it's not because a business is doing good. http://www.ddovault.com/Images/Smoak.png

According to Inkblack's sources, MOTU sold better than expected.  So much so that Turbine wanted to push out another expansion next year.

Edit: Typos before morning coffee.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2012 at 1:23pm by Carpone »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #86 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 10:59am
Print Post  
It is possible the layoffs are consolidating some duplicate functionality between LOTRO and DDO or just cleaning up some inefficency within either or both organizations.  The advent of F2P and MOTU saw a huge expansion in staff.  Often when you are growing so fast that you can't keep pace and are hiring rapidly you can get inefficiency in your org chart.  When things slow down a bit you go back and restructure it.  Think of it like a house for a 4 person family.  And then you have triplets.  And grandma comes to stay.  And then you have twins.  And each time you build an add on to the house.  You end up with a floor plan that isn't nearly as efficient as if you had built the house for 8 people in the first place.  But in the case of an org chart, you can combine duplicate functions, change reporting relationships, etc. and make it look like how you would if you built it from the ground up.  And take into account the fact that there has been a dip in demand recently.  So you size for your future, not your past.

I think reductions are bad news, but not necessarily as devastating as might be thought otherwise.  Keep in mind that WB is a public company that has greater demands on profitability and corporate governance than a private company might.

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #87 - Oct 27th, 2012 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Oct 27th, 2012 at 8:43am:
According to Inkblack's sources, MOTU sold better than expected.  So much so that Turbine wanted to push out another expansion next year.

That is indeed what I heard, but I also heard a week before the layoffs that Turbine was one of the only MMO's not shrinking and cutting people.  So much for that.

Also, I can't remember if I said this before, but the odds of an expansion next year are declining.  Right now it's around 1 in 3.

IP Logged

Combat Wombat
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #88 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Eh these are reorg changes pushed by WB. Turbine likely used it as an excuse to out the underperformers that wernt quite bad enough to justify firing otherwise.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #89 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Combat Wombat wrote on Oct 28th, 2012 at 12:25am:
Eh these are reorg changes pushed by WB. Turbine likely used it as an excuse to out the underperformers that wernt quite bad enough to justify firing otherwise.

Considering how low that bar was set but some of the shaved-apes they kept . . . it's hard to believe any could have been lower and still been able to tie their own shoes.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #90 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 2:53am
Print Post  

Depends. I don´t know how it is in the USA.
If you have a working contract that is attached to a product, when you finish the product the contract ends. But usually then you don´t call it "lay off", it is just a natural end of contract.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #91 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Quote:
If you have a working contract that is attached to a product, when you finish the product the contract ends. But usually then you don´t call it "lay off", it is just a natural end of contract.

In the US they more or less can tell you on a Friday that you won't have to come back on Monday.

Now consider that in my case, my employer has to give me a 3 month warning ( by snail mail ) and give me 2 days /month to look for another job. ( along with a lay off package that gets more and more expensive [ for them ] the longer you have been in the company )
Add to that the fact that if it's more than 10 people that are fired, it automatically becomes an Employment Recovery Plan... that needs to go through all the union circus... which will add at least 4 months between the time the lay off is announced and the day you receive the letter. ( remember you have 2/3 more month before actually being fired ). So basically in Froggy Land a mass ( mass being defined as more than 10 people ) lay off is at least a 6 month thing.

Personally I don't know which one is best...Both have advantages and drawbacks.

In Froggy Land we have what we call Intérim Jobs to compensate for the production peaks.
They are people hired from other companies ( Manpower, Addeco, ... there's many ) and they are here to buff the workforce when the production needs it... and to be laid off ( figuratively speaking, they are still employed by their original company ) when the production don't needs them anymore.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #92 - Oct 28th, 2012 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
I don't know how it works in Massachusetts, but in Ohio there is a financial difference for the company between a firing (termination for cause) and lay off(terminiation for convenience).  An employee fired for cause is not eligible for unemployment benefits.  On a lay off, you get unemployment benefits.

A severance package would be discretionary in either case.  Typically dictated by the employee policy manual.  However, most companies give longer severance pay for a lay off than a firing.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #93 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Feather:

Gives WF items and healers some love please.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #94 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 28th, 2012 at 9:15pm:
I don't know how it works in Massachusetts, but in Ohio there is a financial difference for the company between a firing (termination for cause) and lay off(terminiation for convenience).  An employee fired for cause is not eligible for unemployment benefits.  On a lay off, you get unemployment benefits.

I used both terms because in Froggy Land it's the same expression that is used : être renvoyéThen there's qualifiers :
- Etre renvoyé pour raison économiques ( to be laid off )
- Etre renvoyé pour faute ( grâve) ( to be fired for cause )
( and the result of the difference is similar in France, if you're fired for cause you don't get any severance package and you definitely don't get unemployment benefits )

I fully understand that all the lay off that occured were for economical reasons.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2012 at 4:37am by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #95 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:

There's a couple of different ways that contract work here works.  You can have a defined employment term where you start on Date A and finish on Date B, or at the conclusion of the project that you're working on.  You can also be called a contractor, but are just a glorified temp and just told not to come back the next day, thanks, your contract has been fulfilled.

A lot of companies use the contractor term to get around the legalities for long-term temps.  If you employ a temporary employee for longer than 11 months, you have to start giving them benefits (insurance, etc.).  Microsoft for years got away with having temps that worked for them for decades with no accrued benefit.

IP Logged

Vexation
Waterworks Kobold

Blah, Blah, Blah...

Reply #96 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
SolarDawning wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 5:39pm:
Deal with it.

-Feather of Sun

You might be one of the ones better off NOT dealing with the forum.  You might be OK at your job but your attitude sucks hairy, sweaty balls.

Deal with that.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2012 at 3:34pm by Vexation »  

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #97 - Oct 29th, 2012 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Vexation wrote on Oct 29th, 2012 at 3:34pm:
You might be one of the ones better off NOT dealing with the forum.  You might be OK at your job but your attitude sucks hairy, sweaty balls.

Deal with that.

Nah, let him keep shooting his mouth off.

1- Letting slip things like the fact he can't code does let those of us giving feedback know to give up on expecting new functionality, and confine suggestions to a smaller sub-set.

2- The more push-back bad ideas get, the clearer his bosses'll understand what the underlying problems are. (And who knows, maybe he'll eventually get the point himself. At least once he's learned that the first rule of development is that everyones shit stinks.)
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2012 at 4:40pm by »  

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #98 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=396711

Some of you might get a charge out of that. Me? More dissapointed they're still trying to salvage mournlands. Never really interacted with 404 enough aside from a few lam bughunts to have an opinion.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2012 at 3:40pm by »  

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #99 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=396711

Some of you might get a charge out of that. Me? More dissapointed they're still trying to salvage mournlands. Never really interacted with 404 enough aside from a few lam bughunts to have an opinion.

404 was one of the good ones at Turbine.

As usual the decisions here make it clear that management at Turbine needs it's own layoff notices.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint