Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Layoffs at Turbine (Read 31251 times)
OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Re: Layoffs at Turbine
Reply #25 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
SolarDawning wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 5:39pm:
Fortunately, being very good at what you do and dedicated to your job helps avoid getting fired.

I regularly take blame from the community for things that aren't my doing, or my responsibility to fix. Rather than avoid any forum interaction like most developers do, I'm willing to actually pop in, say hello, give some insight on what's going on or how things work, and ask questions to get to the heart of a problem so that I can fix it, because if I don't, no-one else will find out what's going on or do anything about it.

I'm okay with that.

See: Broken Black Abbot 20th rewards, Warforged healer's friend, Spell Power issues, among many other things.

Abbot 20th:  I'm fairly certain I fixed it. The issue was of a nature that was not possible to reproduce internally, however, so I could not personally test my fix to the problem.But I did find the source of the issue and resolve it, so you should be good to go, provided you had not looked at the 20th-multiple reward list in question before u13. (It becomes locked in when you see the list

Here, you explicitly claim to have resolved the issue, except it wasn't fixed.  The issue DID eventually get resolved at a later date.

Universal Spell Power:  This bug is fixed internally on our development build, and the fix will go live with Update 15.Same goes for all non-functioning Spell Power set bonii.

You may not explicitly claim involvement in adjustments to Spell Power, but you do assert that it's fixed, and that's close enough to task ownership for me.

If you want to delude yourselves into thinking that I caused those issues (hint: I don't code), or that somehow they're my responsibility, just because I'm the one trying to figure out what's going on with them so that I can get them fixed, then that's fine if it makes you feel better.

I can't speak for anyone else.  I'd like to think I speak for some people, but whatever.

What would make me feel better is some sincere contrition, ownership of mistakes, and a believable, publicly facing, and SUSTAINED effort to learn from past mistakes.

I can deal with the harassment, and the threats of physical violence from you guys, because in the end, it honestly doesn't matter. I'm not going to let that kind of bullying discourage me from doing my job properly.

The fact is, I'm here, and I'm here to stay. I have a job I love, and I'm damn good at it. I work insane hours, go into the office on weekends to work on side projects (like buffing hirelings, or on the hinted-about new augment system) because I want to, and I put my all into what I do.

You make it too easy.  Today's Mabar outcome was forecast a month ago.  You may claim you had nothing to do with this, but I call bullshit on that.

The Events are extremely high-visibility.  If you allowed anyone to accept "it worked fine in development, so I'm pretty sure I nailed it" as enough validation of Mabar or ANY new system, you failed.

People who are damn good at their job KNOW they are damn good at their job and don't have to tell anyone about it.  Decision makers know the person is an asset and the person's customers (both internal and external) are delighted to have them around.

Their efforts add value to the community environment.

They use criticism as a check list of activities to avoid and opportunities for improvement.  Failures are always used as a learning opportunity.

NOBODY is trying to discourage you or anyone from doing their job properly.

If you think the observed outcomes of your efforts, or more importantly what are PERCEIVED to be your efforts are consistent with doing a job properly, THINK AGAIN.

If I'm getting it wrong and this isn't your fault, take some time to wrap your head around why anyone might think otherwise.  How might this be corrected?

Deal with it.

-Feather of Sun

There's a whole lot of hard work and sincere effort at quality put into the game.  It's obvious.

Stop making the same mistakes.  Just stop. 

It's like delivering a replacement wedding cake with rat droppings on it. 

A replacement cake for one that was returned because it had rat droppings on it.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #26 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Fortunately, being very good at what you do and dedicated to your job helps avoid getting fired.

I regularly take blame from the community for things that aren't my doing, or my responsibility to fix. Rather than avoid any forum interaction like most developers do, I'm willing to actually pop in, say hello, give some insight on what's going on or how things work, and ask questions to get to the heart of a problem so that I can fix it, because if I don't, no-one else will find out what's going on or do anything about it.

I'm okay with that.

See: Broken Black Abbot 20th rewards, Warforged healer's friend, Spell Power issues, among many other things.

If you want to delude yourselves into thinking that I caused those issues (hint: I don't code), or that somehow they're my responsibility, just because I'm the one trying to figure out what's going on with them so that I can get them fixed, then that's fine if it makes you feel better.

I can deal with the harassment, and the threats of physical violence from you guys, because in the end, it honestly doesn't matter. I'm not going to let that kind of bullying discourage me from doing my job properly.

The fact is, I'm here, and I'm here to stay. I have a job I love, and I'm damn good at it. I work insane hours, go into the office on weekends to work on side projects (like buffing hirelings, or on the hinted-about new augment system) because I want to, and I put my all into what I do.

Deal with it.

-Feather of Sun

Tl/dr version : The people who got fired sucked, I am awesome.

Gunga is that you?

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Reply #27 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
How many times must a flustercluck like today happen before the people in charge think "maybe we're doing it wrong"?

(Oh, and did I just miss it, or did the post regarding the "restructuring" get deleted off the official forums? I know I saw it there earlier while at work, but can't seem to find it now. Not surprising if so :p )
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2012 at 7:22pm by pnellesen »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #28 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 7:30pm
Print Post  

I'm okay with that.

Deal with it.

-Feather of Sun

Spell power was fine until you morons decided to change the system.  Warforged healers friend was fine until you all fucked with it.  Many other things were fine until all of you cast your gaze upon it.  Now they are more broken then your mother was after admitting you were her child.

Hirelings are fucking retarded, just like the moron who put them in the fucking game.  So someone who would spend valuable time on some worthless shitty thing that doesn't matter instead of focusing on actual issues in the game.... Well, you must be pretty fucking retarded as well.

Would you like everyone here to bring up the many failures of Turbine, especially recently? I mean, you seem to think you are bragging about success.  It is only fair if we brag about the many failures you all have brought upon us, right?

Last point, then you go back to asking mommy for some more tit milk, what the fuck is with the items you make? Do you have a capped character? Do you run raids? WHat the fuck is with the shit you hand warforged? Don't like them? Do they scare you? Are you just a little lazy bitch? I guarantee you didn't put any thought into docents for update 14 - or raid weapons.  I mean seriously, you can claim all you want about how great you are and how much time you invest into your job, don't let me stop you from patting your own back.  All the raid gear? Shit.  Docents, wraps, most of the new items - shit.  Update 15? Does anyone really play it? nope.  Why is that? I mean, it is the newest content out there.  Oh, right, because the gear in it is fucking bullshit.  Until you being damn good at your job starts to show, and all those extra hours you put into the job reveal themselves as actually constructive, you can put a bullet through that idiotic brain of yours and even your own mother won't care.

You can blame your parents.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2012 at 7:30pm by Epoch »  

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
pnellesen wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 7:20pm:
(Oh, and did I just miss it, or did the post regarding the "restructuring" get deleted off the official forums? I know I saw it there earlier while at work, but can't seem to find it now. Not surprising if so :p )

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=396251

IP Logged

walkingwolfmike
Korthos Resident

STFU

Reply #30 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 7:30pm:
Spell power was fine until you morons decided to change the system.  Warforged healers friend was fine until you all fucked with it.  Many other things were fine until all of you cast your gaze upon it.  Now they are more broken then your mother was after admitting you were her child.

Hirelings are fucking retarded, just like the moron who put them in the fucking game.  So someone who would spend valuable time on some worthless shitty thing that doesn't matter instead of focusing on actual issues in the game.... Well, you must be pretty fucking retarded as well.

Would you like everyone here to bring up the many failures of Turbine, especially recently? I mean, you seem to think you are bragging about success.  It is only fair if we brag about the many failures you all have brought upon us, right?

Last point, then you go back to asking mommy for some more tit milk, what the fuck is with the items you make? Do you have a capped character? Do you run raids? WHat the fuck is with the shit you hand warforged? Don't like them? Do they scare you? Are you just a little lazy bitch? I guarantee you didn't put any thought into docents for update 14 - or raid weapons.  I mean seriously, you can claim all you want about how great you are and how much time you invest into your job, don't let me stop you from patting your own back.  All the raid gear? Shit.  Docents, wraps, most of the new items - shit.  Update 15? Does anyone really play it? nope.  Why is that? I mean, it is the newest content out there.  Oh, right, because the gear in it is fucking bullshit.  Until you being damn good at your job starts to show, and all those extra hours you put into the job reveal themselves as actually constructive, you can put a bullet through that idiotic brain of yours and even your own mother won't care.

You can blame your parents.

Holy shit, this made my day.  I love you, Epoch

How 'bout a dose of Shut The Fuck Up?!

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #31 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Jaxx wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 5:42pm:

I'm okay with that.

Deal with it.

-Feather of Sun

You're fooling no-one Arkat!

Fuck!

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Jaxx
Fleet Admiral

Reply #32 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 8:02pm:
You're fooling no-one Arkat!

Fuck! [/quote]

Busted Bitch!

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #33 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Seriously though, to the guys and gals at Turbine who lost their jobs, I'm really sorry to hear it. I hope you find a good job soon.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2012 at 8:29pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #34 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
They need to get rid of that Remi Sklar guy and replace him with Randy Sklar.

fnord

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
See: Broken Black Abbot 20th rewards

That was the broken loot table Rodrak got banned for posting, yes? Are you taking credit for banning him, or just for stealing his work?

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #36 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 9:54pm
Print Post  

I'm okay with that.

Deal with it.

-Feather of Sun

Your best isn't good enough, pull your lip over your head and swallow.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #37 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 7:30pm:
Would you like everyone here to bring up the many failures of Turbine, especially recently? ...

I would like this list, especially if it wasn't constrained to only the recent failures.

With the following information included:
- enough information to describe the failure
- date first noticed by a player & link to forum thread(s) announcing it
- date acknowledged by a dev or moderator & link to dev/moderator acknowledgement
- date resolved, if ever, and description of the resolution
- whether or not the issue re-appeared after being "fixed"

and the whole thing in table format so I could sort on "fastest to fix", "reappeared most often", etc.

I'd also like a new television, a magic pony, a garage large enough for a two post lift, and the back and eyes I had 12 years ago.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #38 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 10:38pm
Print Post  

I'm okay with that.

Deal with it.

-Feather of Sun

Well your weapon designs fucking suck. Whether or not you coded them, you designed them. And they suck.

Also, hirelings are only good for pulling levers, opening SOME locks and refilling SP. I don't care if they'll die less. Or "get better equipment".

We'll see how this alleged new augment system works. My bet is on it sucking.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #39 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That was the broken loot table Rodrak got banned for posting, yes? Are you taking credit for banning him, or just for stealing his work?

Beautiful.

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #40 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 10:43pm
Print Post  

This must be your first job for you to say something like this.  No one who's been around the block believes the above.  In fact, a common consensus is that it's the best ass-kissers that keep their jobs.

IP Logged

malo
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Deal with it.

-Feather of Sun

Good for you.  DDO is a good game, and I appreciate your work on it.  And my heart goes out to the people who were layed off today.  It must not be a fun time to be at work.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #42 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
GFY

Fair enough.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #43 - Oct 25th, 2012 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 10:43pm:
This must be your first job for you to say something like this.  No one who's been around the block believes the above.  In fact, a common consensus is that it's the best ass-kissers that keep their jobs.

Feather_of_suck likes to french kiss.  My source refuses to go into more detail.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #44 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:00am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 10:10pm:
I would like this list, especially if it wasn't constrained to only the recent failures.

With the following information included:
- enough information to describe the failure
- date first noticed by a player & link to forum thread(s) announcing it
- date acknowledged by a dev or moderator & link to dev/moderator acknowledgement
- date resolved, if ever, and description of the resolution
- whether or not the issue re-appeared after being "fixed"

and the whole thing in table format so I could sort on "fastest to fix", "reappeared most often", etc.

I'd also like a new television, a magic pony, a garage large enough for a two post lift, and the back and eyes I had 12 years ago.

You know what I would like? For you guys to actually test the shit you put out.  Try this for size.  Copy the current live version of DDO, then put whatever add on or fix onto that.  Then see how fucking jacked up it is, like everything else.  Then go, oh shit, this must be why we have to have 6 hotfixes for every change we make to the game.  Let us not forget as far as coding goes, we are inferior to monkeys.

I would also like to get paid a million dollars just for existing each year - tax free, and execute all Turbine staff that really believe their work on the game is good.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #45 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:38am
Print Post  
All I have to say is don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. I use to love DDO before it turned into this shit we have now!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #46 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 3:00am
Print Post  
[snip]

Thanks to answering in our cesspool where you're definitely going to take some heavy flak in return...

Now here's my bullets :

- why is it that your raid loot sucks so bad [ read :  CiTW named items ] that randomly generated loot [ read items pulled from any epic Chest ] is better most of the time ?
- why is it that your raid loot don't contain anything at all for a Cleric ?
- why is it that most of the spellpower items have to be staves ? ( we get 1 something else for 10 staves )
- why is it that it's impossible to get spellpower items ? ( except old named ones) that uses a slot that does not require hands ( that is there's no armor, jewelry, equipment with spellpower except a few old and totally underpowered named items )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #47 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Good luck to the folk at Turbine that got laid off. Hopefully you find good job opportunitites elsewhere soon.

Thanks to the turbine folks that came in and posted. Just one more thing to say.

FoS every time you make another randomised thingy I will sacrifice a cartoon pony.

:d

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #48 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 6:13am
Print Post  
posting from xbox so cant c/p.
thank you Epoch.
also I Think it is fucking funny that devs post here but to even say this websites name on the offical fourms is a excuse for a deleate/infract.

I think the vault is more viable then mr. jerry wants it to be now.

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:02am
Print Post  
If FoS really did not get laid off then Turbine missed a golden opportunity to get rid of the employee which has caused the most damage to the game in it's history.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint