Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Layoffs at Turbine (Read 31249 times)
stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Re: Layoffs at Turbine
Reply #50 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Cyr wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:02am:
If FoS really did not get laid off then Turbine missed a golden opportunity to get rid of the employee which has caused the most damage to the game in it's history.

He is SolarDawning and he posted in this thread. Kinda heaped a whole bunch of fail onto one guy, when it could be spread around to several different groups, but whatever.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #51 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Cyr wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:02am:
If FoS really did not get laid off then Turbine missed a golden opportunity to get rid of the employee which has caused the most damage to the game in it's history.

Feather of Cunt is terrible, but that title is reserved for Fernando.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #52 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:49am
Print Post  
I appreciate Feather_of_Sun posting here, if he did, and respect his attitude. 

He had to know it was going to be received about as well as it was.  A lot of venom and hatred.  Not going to feel sorry for you, though.  If someone would pay me money to work on DDO all day long, I'd be down with that. 

To all the folks who lost their jobs - I hope that you find new work quickly.   It's a shame when anyone loses their job unless they just weren't performing at the level required.  Best of luck to you.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Breca still there? Dude made some mistakes, but by god he owned them, and did his damnedest to drill down to what the underlying objections were.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #54 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 10:43pm:
a common consensus is that it's the best ass-kissers that keep their jobs.

A common consnseus amongst people who got fired/laid off even though they "know for certain that they were holding that place together and it's going to fall apart without them" and whose boss is "an incompetent idiot whose job you could do 10 times better".

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #55 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:49am:
To all the folks who lost their jobs - I hope that you find new work quickly.   It's a shame when anyone loses their job unless they just weren't performing at the level required.  Best of luck to you.

I completely agree with that.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Jalora
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Oct 25th, 2012 at 10:43pm:
This must be your first job for you to say something like this.  No one who's been around the block believes the above.  In fact, a common consensus is that it's the best ass-kissers that keep their jobs.

Lol.  In my experiance, the people that are actually "quite good" at their jobs don't need to continually remind others that they are.  Then again, in the past I generally fired fragile egos as soon as I discovered them

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #57 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:06am:
He is SolarDawning and he posted in this thread. Kinda heaped a whole bunch of fail onto one guy, when it could be spread around to several different groups, but whatever.

Someone has to wear the hair shirt.

There is a lot of fail.  It should be spread around to the appropriate people.

I'm not pointing a finger at Feather_Of_Dawning for not fixing:
- ladders
- ship captain teleport dialogue
- memory leak
- epic destinies issues after Lesser Reinc
- UMD lag
- Mobs continuing to attack when danced or paralyzed

or lots of other things.

If he wants to wash his hands of accountability for the fails to which he has linked himself (Abbot 20th, Spell Power, Loot Generation, Named Loot Itemization), that's no surprise. 

What would be a welcome surprise would be for him or anyone at Turbine to step up, publicly take ownership for pissing off a lot of people, explain how they failed and what steps will be taken to prevent the same damn thing from happening again.

What would be a REAL surprise is if the same shit didn't happen again.

Shine a light on it and don't turn it off until the mess is cleaned up.

I thought he was a fan of the game.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #58 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 1:05pm:
What would be a welcome surprise would be for him or anyone at Turbine to step up, publicly take ownership for pissing off a lot of people, explain how they failed and what steps will be taken to prevent the same damn thing from happening again.

This is not something that happens in most B2C software companies with their customers.  In part because of liability, in part because of the risk of exposure of proprietary information, in part because it doesn't really help.  Judgemental assholes will be judgemental assholes.  Details don't help. 

The only thing that really helps is fixing shit quick.  Nobody expects perfection.  But if you can resolve stuff fast enough, they generally don't care.  I think where Turbine fails isn't so much in the failure reporting/communication process or the mean of failures per build cycle.  It's in the mean time to repair.  If they could get that down, they would see a whole lot better attitude.

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 10:06am:

I saw the post, but I take claims about who people are on these forums with more then a grain of salt.

And I stand behind that statement.  Plenty of fail at Turbine, but FoS is like a wrecking ball of destruction.

His loot design has destroyed ingame incentives to run lots of content and that hurt the game on a fundamental level.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Breca still there? Dude made some mistakes, but by god he owned them, and did his damnedest to drill down to what the underlying objections were.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=396357

FUCK!

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #61 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Too slow.

Bye Breca. Fatesinger turned out pretty awesome on my 17/2/1 bard/rogue/fighter. Thanks for the hard work.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:11pm by rest »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #62 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Not sure why, but I always assumed Breca was a woman.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #63 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Cyr wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:00pm:
I take claims about who people are on these forums with more then a grain of salt.

It is him.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #64 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Farewell Breca, it was nice dealing with a dev that didn't think the players were clueless regarding how to play the game.

IP Logged

kitsune_ko
Titan Demolisher

Halfling Pali-Rogues FTW!

Reply #65 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:58pm
Print Post  

I generally feel for anyone who loses their job; expecially in the tough employment situation the US is in currently.

Now that being said; perhaps a little shake-up at Turbine is not a bad thing. Quality control I feel is basically non-existant, and has been for some time. The last few years seems nothing but  "Design, push content out, hope the hell it works; if not, ah well, worry about it later because we are busy working on the next big thing".

Honestly, you can only distract players by dangling new shiny things for them to chase for so long before they realise they are constantly wading hip-deep in a sea of shit while chasing the latest toy.

I am very sure that a lot of staff at Turbine do an exceptional job; I am also quite sure that most of these productive staff members are still employed there. Losing a bit of the dead wood is not always a bad thing.

I think that a bit of house-cleaning is this case is good; jobs at Turbine are paid for through customer satisifaction after all, and some seem to have lost sight of that fact a while ago.

"Shiny stuff comes and goes; XP is forever."

2008-10-15: Full frontal Nerdity

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #66 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Had a quick conversation with my buddy at Turbine, he was spared but "it's been a bad week".

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #67 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Breca is awesome.  Almost makes me want to play a bard.

IP Logged

jollen
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #68 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Feather of Sun and FlimsyFirewood both need to be axed, they haven't added anything meaningful to the game.

However on the topic of bad items...

Compared to Lucid Dreams and Toven's Hammer.. The new Rune Arms have been really bad. I cannot overstate the value of the Craftable that was supposed to be a feature of Rune Arms. I know a few folks have gone Acid with Corruption.. but you end up with an enhancement line to boost acid that only affects one rune arm and none of your spells. That's not a good Return on Investment compared to focusing on say Force. My artificer used Lucid Dreams at 17. He's 25, guess what he's still using.

Related... Frost (1d6 Cold) is +1 enchantment... How the hell is  Boreal (2d6 Cold) equal to +4. At most it should be +3

PS: Pet weapons suck ass, almost as much as the pets themselves, but not quite

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
jollen wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 3:57pm:
Feather of Sun and FlimsyFirewood both need to be axed, they haven't added anything meaningful to the game.

However on the topic of bad items...

Compared to Lucid Dreams and Toven's Hammer.. The new Rune Arms have been really bad. I cannot overstate the value of the Craftable that was supposed to be a feature of Rune Arms. I know a few folks have gone Acid with Corruption.. but you end up with an enhancement line to boost acid that only affects one rune arm and none of your spells. That's not a good Return on Investment compared to focusing on say Force. My artificer used Lucid Dreams at 17. He's 25, guess what he's still using.

Related... Frost (1d6 Cold) is +1 enchantment... How the hell is  Boreal (2d6 Cold) equal to +4. At most it should be +3

PS: Pet weapons suck ass, almost as much as the pets themselves, but not quite

Much as I want to shank feather for what his fucking with the random loot has done to pretty much all forms of crafting, and his outright attitude leaden refusal to keep that end updated, can't blame him for 20+ not having craftables till they drop the 'caps at 20' mechanic.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #70 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Breca just posted a goodbye thread.

edit: Somehow missed an entire page of this thread...
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2012 at 4:18pm by Glenalth »  
IP Logged

Eyeran
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #71 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Guuuuuuys!!!!!  Feather is buffing hirelings, stop being so mean!  I mean, now when my retarded as shit hireling decides to stand in the middle of the trapped door in PoP when all it needs to do is pull a fucking lever it will last like 5 more seconds.  Or when my cleric hireling is spam healing itself because it has a double tick of melfs acid arrow, instead of just casting acid resistance, it will be able to heal that damage slightly faster.

Hirelings are serious buziness.

Glenalth wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 4:10pm:
Breca just posted a goodbye thread.

Honestly not sure what to think about this.  I liked Breca's communication with the players, and that alone was enough to make me want them around.  But I think they had a horrible idea of the role of a bard and were not doing the class justice.  Hopefully they've have somebody with a better vision for bards working on the enhancement bypass.

Still, it's a lot easier to teach somebody about the strengths and weaknesses of a class than it is to teach them how to communicate like an adult and just generally not be a douchebag.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2012 at 4:21pm by Eyeran »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #72 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Eyeran wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 4:18pm:
Guuuuuuys!!!!!  Feather is buffing hirelings, stop being so mean!  I mean, now when my retarded as shit hireling decides to stand in the middle of the trapped door in PoP when all it needs to do is pull a fucking lever it will last like 5 more seconds.  Or when my cleric hireling is spam healing itself because it has a double tick of melfs acid arrow, instead of just casting acid resistance, it will be able to heal that damage slightly faster.

Hirelings are serious buziness.

Honestly not sure what to think about this.  I liked Breca's communication with the players, and that alone was enough to make me want them around.  But I think they had a horrible idea of the role of a bard and were not doing the class justice.  Hopefully they've have somebody with a better vision for bards working on the enhancement bypass.

Still, it's a lot easier to teach somebody about the strengths and weaknesses of a class than it is to teach them how to communicate like an adult and just generally not be a douchebag.

The sonic proc stuff and vulnerability was working nicely with my Elyd Edge wielding bard. Plus having sonic spell power actually do something was cool.

IP Logged

jollen
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #73 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Much as I want to shank feather for what his fucking with the random loot has done to pretty much all forms of crafting, and his outright attitude leaden refusal to keep that end updated, can't blame him for 20+ not having craftables till they drop the 'caps at 20' mechanic.

Sure you can... He could have placed additional effects on the Rune arms. My arti doesnt meed natural armor .. his ac sucks as is from not having the appropriate armor available to him

IP Logged

Eyeran
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Oct 26th, 2012 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 4:46pm:
The sonic proc stuff and vulnerability was working nicely with my Elyd Edge wielding bard. Plus having sonic spell power actually do something was cool.

Yes, there's a few nice things, I'm not saying it's all bad, but I just felt they didn't have a good grasp on the role of a bard at all.  No boosts to healing, not much in the way of party buffs, and a general watering down of all the bard songs.  They were trying though, and that's the most important part.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint