Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Is it just me... (Read 28874 times)
Azog
Ex Member

Re: Is it just me...
Reply #25 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 9:29am:
Azog, it seems to me like no one even gives a fuck that you breathe.

That is totally true. Nevertheless, your hobby is very strange, I repeat.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:09am
Print Post  
I am Azog, I am aghast.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #27 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 2nd, 2013 at 2:14pm:
That is a load of horseshit.  Windows is just as stable as any NIX system when ***competetly administered***.  I've personally run networks with 99.9% uptime.

What company is administering Turbine's servers?

fnord

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #28 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 7:59am:
It's a fucking fallacy.  It might have been true with NT 4.0.

Wasn't even true for NT 4.  I had servers going for months without rebooting.  The Windows Server 2003 machines only needed rebooting due to Windows Updates or a piece of software required it.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #29 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
I knew someone who worked in Turbine's data center, years ago. They were pretty top notch then, actually. Dunno about now, but you never know.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #30 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:18am:
What company is administering Turbine's servers?

Not sure about the administering. The hosting though seems tp be PNAP at one of their Boston Datacenter : http://www.internap.com/colocation-provider-facility-overview/boston-data-center...

At least that's what my Traceroute seems to say.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #31 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 9:35am:
It's because we have been trained to expect the worst and look cynically upon anything different or not DDO.  Look at the forums every other MMO sucks and has nothing to offer.  DDO is the best or you are a loser.  If you aren't actively defending DDO you are a hater.  Every thread.   7 years.  same fucking story.  WoW sucks.  Guild Wars sucks.  SWTOR sucks.  EQ sucks.  DDO is the best.  Turbine rule. 

I bring up that DDO now after 7 years of not needing it needs to reboot it's servers once a week and the fanbois come out to defend Turbine.

Turbine shits in your mouth and trains you to eat it with a smile on your face.

If Turbine was so fucking good how the hell did they fuck up two MMO based on two IP's with the most rabid fans on the planet. 

Wow does suck (played for 6 months),  GW sucked (played for a year), EQ sucks (couldn't be bothered to play it), SWTOR sucks... This is what all my friends who went and played it reported back.

The fact that DDO has lasted 7 years (2 of which were spent tied up in a secret law suit resulting in 0 content release) and lasted means they are doing something's right.  LoTRO seems to b plugging along fine as well compared to the Conans, and Warhammers of the MMO world. There is plenty I wish Tirbine would do differently and I bitch about it, but I have to give credit where it's due. The only thing more pathetic than a sycophant fanboi is the hypocrit hater. You come off as a bitter old man sitting on his rocker who hits anyone that gets to close with his cane and thinks the nursing staff is trying to kill him. Take a pill Eladiun... The meds should straighten you out.

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #32 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:58pm:
The meds should straighten you out.

Probably not.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #33 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:34pm:
Not sure about the administering. The hosting though seems tp be PNAP at one of their Boston Datacenter : http://www.internap.com/colocation-provider-facility-overview/boston-data-center...

At least that's what my Traceroute seems to say.

I have a couple of servers in a similar facility in Waltham.  They likely just rent a cage and keep their equipment there.  The facility provides the large redundant internet pipes, security, multiple redundant power supplies, and high level air quality and climate control.  It's much more cost effective for most companies over building your own high end data center.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
As great as my disdain is for Turbine and the current mass of buggy shit the game has become, DDO held my attention far longer than any other game ever has.  GW2 is the first MMO that I've played since 2006 that has finally caused me to pretty much stop playing altogether.  I think that really says a lot about the game and the community.  I have to agree that both have taken a hit recently though.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #35 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 1:58pm:
The fact that DDO has lasted 7 years (2 of which were spent tied up in a secret law suit resulting in 0 content release) and lasted means they are doing something's right.  LoTRO seems to b plugging along fine as well compared to the Conans, and Warhammers of the MMO world

Sure, WoW sucks 10 million people are just wrong.

AO  11.  WoW 8   EQ 14   SWG even made 9 years.   AC 11

Longevity, isn't all that impressive.  It doesn't take a whole lot to keep an MMO up and running.

As for LOTRO, the AA number was last reported around 200k-250K which I think would be considered a profound disappointment vs expectations for that IP.  F2P bounced them over 500k but they were unable to retain a majority of those players and fell back to pre-F2P numbers

Age of Conan and Warhammer, they are in the same ballpark as DDO with AA account numbers.

Fact's are simple. 

- Post $160 million WB buyout none of the four founders of Turbine are still with the company

- Store cash grabs have increased with once unthinkable items now available.

- Quality of the releases has decreased sharply since the buyout

- Layoffs

- Servers now crash regularly. 

BTW, you want to know a game that tanked but is actually pretty fun.  I've been screwing around in DC Online F2P.  Nothing serious just dicking about a hour here or there and it's a well put together game.  The combat is unique and fun and the world is visual beautiful.  Only played like 10 hours and far from end game but it's a fun little time killer with a lot of different things to do.
It's also 2 years old and I find MMO's really hit their stride at two years.  It's when they finally have enough content and features to satisfy the masses.  The first two years is for die hard fans to stick it out through the growing pains.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:17pm by Eladiun »  

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #36 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As great as my disdain is for Turbine and the current mass of buggy shit the game has become, DDO held my attention far longer than any other game ever has.  GW2 is the first MMO that I've played since 2006 that has finally caused me to pretty much stop playing altogether.  I think that really says a lot about the game and the community.  I have to agree that both have taken a hit recently though.

Same here.  Although I think some of my issues with other games were more about not finding the social dynamic that makes you stay with an MMO through the slow times.

Quote:

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #37 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:49pm:
Same here.  Although I think some of my issues with other games were more about not finding the social dynamic that makes you stay with an MMO through the slow times.

I wish I found you in an MMO.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 2:01pm:
The facility provides the large redundant internet pipes, security, multiple redundant power supplies, and high level air quality and climate control. 

indeed they do just this. ofc, even with internap providing the majority of backbone folks still think its turbines hardware causing lag issues, when its nothing more then turbines bastardized code that is rapidly becoming a pile of shit.

The alternative is much worse. Turbine has simply cut their internap lease to the bones. Only 1 reason they would do this though...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #39 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 3rd, 2013 at 6:21pm:
indeed they do just this. ofc, even with internap providing the majority of backbone folks still think its turbines hardware causing lag issues, when its nothing more then turbines bastardized code that is rapidly becoming a pile of shit.

So true because the reality is hardware is cheap if the problem could be fixed with hardware it would be fixed already.

Quote:

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Last night I hopped on to run raids because Grace commanded it.  FUCK YOU DDO.  Ran VoD, good ole Hordo fell down to the bottom and as soon as he reached the rest of the party, we all simultaneously locked up for a solid 3 minutes.  Couldn't move, couldn't do anything.  Then it happened again in part 4 of Shroud.  We're all beating on Harry, all of a sudden the damage numbers stop and the blades aren't moving in anymore.  It happened to everyone in the group.  Every once in a while I would be tossed up in the air and hovering over Harry like an out of body experience and then back down.  We all died except Hordo (that's how you know lag is bad), but no one got taken to the penalty box.  All of a sudden we all hit the loading screen and are trapped there for another couple minutes.  Then the Recall button doesn't work once we arrive at the penalty box.  I was so fucking enraged.  The same thing happened the other night in a quest.  What the fuck is going on?  I've never experienced anything like that before in all my time in this game, let alone to the entire party.  FIX YOUR FUCKING GAME.

One of the puggers typed in party chat, "Cue the why GW2 is better speech..."  Grin

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #41 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
The same thing happened the other night in a quest.  What the fuck is going on?  I've never experienced anything like that before in all my time in this game, let alone to the entire party.  FIX YOUR FUCKING GAME.

One of the puggers typed in party chat, "Cue the why GW2 is better speech..."  Grin

That's the thing...  these aren't little issues I'm not pissed because an ED doesn't work.  These are massive, game breaking, and fun sucking issues.  They ruin the whole experience.  They are also completely unacknowledged by Turbine.  In all the time I have played game quality has never been this bad.   It's disgusting what they have done and how they are handling it. Honestly, over dozens of MMO's over a dozen years I can only think of a few instances where issues were this bad and most of those were fixed within days or weeks and came with massive "We're sorry" free game time.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:56am by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #42 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
I must just be very lucky, these things rarely if ever happen to me.   Undecided

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #43 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Jan 4th, 2013 at 12:01pm:
I must just be very lucky, these things rarely if ever happen to me.   Undecided

Could be a Khyber thing...it wouldn't be a first but it been going on for months.  I would be just questing and would lock up.  Couple that with gross UMD lag and it was brutal to play.

Quote:

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #44 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jan 4th, 2013 at 12:05pm:
Could be a Khyber thing...it wouldn't be a first but it been going on for months.  I would be just questing and would lock up.  Couple that with gross UMD lag and it was brutal to play.

UMD lag is disgusting and needs to be dealt with. And isnt Khyber known for weird unexplainable lag (which is probably attributted to the actual physical server it self)?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #45 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 12:55pm
Print Post  

It happens occasionally on Argo as well. Could just be a population thing at this point.

The UMD/List Redraw thing is stupid and just gets worse every time they add another thing that modifies or adds another list to be drawn.

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #46 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
JDollar wrote on Jan 4th, 2013 at 12:01pm:

Had it happening on Bloody Crypt, Sanguine Heart area three times in a row.  Freeze, be irritated for 2-4 mins, come back to a wiped party.

Just ran Von3 this am and got stutter stepping all through there.

Yeah, it happens.  Not just in raids either.

I'm not optimistic for our guild's EE PDK Favor Run scheduled for tomorrow.  At least I know the company will be outstanding.  Who the heck knows what the game will do?

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #47 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 1:14pm
Print Post  

Quite possible. I've only had that happen maybe once in the last year of daily play on Sarlona, excluding when things were really screwy after the U13 release.

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
I've had it happen a couple times, but yeah, it's pretty rare for me to see it on Sarlona.

Not like the guaranteed UMD lag, or Chaos Orb lag.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #49 - Jan 4th, 2013 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Turbine is unable to recreate this "lag" you speak of. Reinstall your os.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint