Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) majmal - what the fuck? (Read 30307 times)
Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Re: majmal - what the fuck?
Reply #25 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:59am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 29th, 2013 at 11:59pm:
We fought this bug all week. Delayed patch twice. I'm not in today, but what I got from email is it is one epic quest, and can be fixed a. by CS, b.versioning in the next patch.
Chill. It wasn't perfect, but I was seeing crashes every day that we were sitting on in the patch, and 4+ exploits exc. Rolling back was not an option sadly, it was discussed, but would have put us in a worse place with this raid counter stuff. All this will be sorted out with the next patch.

So this was a case of "yeah we got this really obvious but inconsequential bug, but this patch will fix some other major bugs and we have to ship it?"

What was the purpose of separating the epic and heroic counters, anyway?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #26 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Still wondering why something got put in that MIGHT possibly be used later on, but does nothing now except break shit.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #27 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Oh and so far this new producer is really getting it done.   Grin

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #28 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 1:00am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.

You got this one tested really well!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2013 at 1:01am by Silky »  

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #29 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Silky wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 1:00am:
You got this one tested really well!!!

Did you not read his posts?

IP Logged

Feklar
Korthos Resident

Not a hater, ... unless
you're human.

Reply #30 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 2:31am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
Sorry you are not happy.

You think it's just a matter of our not being happy? Take a couple steps back from it all and have a better look. It has to do with overall QUALITY. Is there no one in your department with the clout to tell the decision makers that Something Is Rotten In The State Of Denmark? Pushing changes into updates/patches before they are polished (okay, fine, polished is asking a lot), before they are PASSABLE has a cumulative effect on the game as a whole. Something FUNDAMENTAL has got to change at Turbine. I understand that I have no idea what kind of pressures your team and the dev team are under to produce. But somebody somewhere up the chain has GOT to be smart enough to understand that DDO is bleeding from a thousand cuts. Running through the razor blades FASTER is no way to stem the flow.

IP Logged

arjiwan
Titan Demolisher

I Love Comedy!

Reply #31 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 2:48am
Print Post  
Yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah.  I know you are frustrated, I know it sucks.  This is the game that I absofuckingloutely love, and I haven't played any MMO with the dedication I have for DDO. 

I am also sad about the changes and sad about the bugs, content, changes, etc.  But maybe you guys need to step back and point your nerdrage somewhere.  It is not Maj's job to be here, he can just ignore you guys. 

I also personally think that DDO is worse now, but I don't go around bashing whoever is there available.  Maj has managers, he has other colleagues, he doesn't have the final say.  So maybe we need to step back a little eh?

IP Logged

Feklar
Korthos Resident

Not a hater, ... unless
you're human.

Reply #32 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 3:03am
Print Post  
Nope. He, or someone, needs to step UP. Get a few of themselves together, figure out where in the suit echelon to start the movement, get the guy drunk or laid or whatever, and start him crusading. Play politics. Bribe someone. Frame an exec with a skanky hooker. I dunno, figure out a way.

I think most of us are past nerdraging, though yeah, we are gamer geeks....

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #33 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 4:03am
Print Post  
Thanks Majmal for the information on the patch.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Dhalgren
Big Sexy

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Feklar wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 3:03am:
Nope. He, or someone, needs to step UP. Get a few of themselves together, figure out where in the suit echelon to start the movement, get the guy drunk or laid or whatever, and start him crusading. Play politics. Bribe someone. Frame an exec with a skanky hooker. I dunno, figure out a way.

Dumb.

Flav wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 4:03am:
Thanks Majmal for the information on the patch.

Smart.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Feklar wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 2:31am:
Is there no one in your department with the clout to tell the decision makers that Something Is Rotten In The State Of Denmark?

You don't know much about how software companies work.  QA is rarely a gatekeeper.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Correct.  There are very few, if any, software companies that have a QA department that has the ability to say:
"This product will not ship with the state it is in".

It is rather, "Hey guys, these are the bugs we've found in the short amount of time you've given us to test, and with the understaffed department I have".

Then the suits say "Okay, we can live with that... ship it"

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #37 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Sgtgig wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:59am:
What was the purpose of separating the epic and heroic counters, anyway?

I don't know about you but after 20 Epic runs, I'd like to choose my loot from the Epic versions, not the Heroic versions.

I thought this would be self-evident. Wait...are you from Sarlona??
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2013 at 8:50am by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #38 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 9:11am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 8:37am:
Correct.  There are very few, if any, software companies that have a QA department that has the ability to say:
"This product will not ship with the state it is in".

It is rather, "Hey guys, these are the bugs we've found in the short amount of time you've given us to test, and with the understaffed department I have".

Then the suits say "Okay, we can live with that... ship it"

Sadly... I lived the transition of Telecom from the first model to the second one...

A fucking software update for one single operator was a fucking 3 years project ( 2 Years Development 2 Years Testing, 1 Year deployment... Yes that's more than 3 years, but Testing was happening while development and deployment )... then it was a 10 year support project with a dedicated team of tester/troubleshooter/support engineer to reproduce each and every fucking bug reported by the customer (  or to troubleshoot on the live system  ). [ at that time support was free ]

Now development is 9 Month, Testing 1 month, Deployment 2 month...
And the shit we produce is so riddled with bugs that it's impressive it does mostly what it is supposed to do. Support lasts as long as you pay for it, with various contract types linked to how many cases you are allowed to open in a year and if you want an emergency 24/7 support on call.

But the operators are fine with that, as long as it mostly work as intended it costs 3 times less than the old way of doing things that's the only thing that interest them now, they don't care if the maintenance cost is important, it's an OPEX, while the Software Updates and the Hardware is a CAPEX... Having Big CAPEX is bad in IT and Telecom nowadays...
( well if you have played a bit with excel, budget management and such you know what I mean )

TL;DR
Most people nowadays are used to things that mostly work as they should and break relatively fast. They just replace the thing when it's broken.
In the case of software, it's easier to patch, and patch the patch of the patch of the patch of the update of the hotfix than to thoroughly test things and delay shipping.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Name_Is_Not_Allowed
Korthos Resident

Reply #39 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 9:28am
Print Post  
We fought this bug all week. Delayed patch twice. I'm not in today, but what I got from email is it is one epic quest, and can be fixed a. by CS, b.versioning in the next patch.
Chill. It wasn't perfect, but I was seeing crashes every day that we were sitting on in the patch, and 4+ exploits exc. Rolling back was not an option sadly, it was discussed, but would have put us in a worse place with this raid counter stuff. All this will be sorted out with the next patch.

Thanks for having the Kobold Cajones to post here... I'm sure Turbine is like any other software house, in my experience QA has little authority to make a ship/no ship decision. But sadly, it makes it look like QA has their heads up their asses.

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #40 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 8:49am:
I don't know about you but after 20 Epic runs, I'd like to choose my loot from the Epic versions, not the Heroic versions.

I thought this would be self-evident. Wait...are you from Sarlona??

No.

I was expecting Epic loot from epic 20th completions but apparently that hasn't been implemented yet.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2013 at 9:39am by Sgtgig »  

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #41 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 9:40am
Print Post  

Props to you... Even the Pope uses bulletproof glass when he goes out. Personally I cant get back into the game. Too many changes over a short few years. Most of my 17 toons are in various stages and idle due to game changes that make them below par for todays game. Any word from the iside on advertising/marketing to increase playerbase?

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #42 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 10:01am
Print Post  
arjiwan wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 2:48am:
Yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah.  I know you are frustrated, I know it sucks.  This is the game that I absofuckingloutely love, and I haven't played any MMO with the dedication I have for DDO. 

I am also sad about the changes and sad about the bugs, content, changes, etc.  But maybe you guys need to step back and point your nerdrage somewhere.  It is not Maj's job to be here, he can just ignore you guys. 

I also personally think that DDO is worse now, but I don't go around bashing whoever is there available.  Maj has managers, he has other colleagues, he doesn't have the final say.  So maybe we need to step back a little eh?

Actually, Feklar was more than reasonable, IMHO.

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #43 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Luxgolg wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 9:40am:
Props to you... Even the Pope uses bulletproof glass when he goes out. Personally I cant get back into the game. Too many changes over a short few years. Most of my 17 toons are in various stages and idle due to game changes that make them below par for todays game. Any word from the iside on advertising/marketing to increase playerbase?

For a game this old, I just don't think it would work. Especially as a F2P MMO.

The Shadowfell conspiracy got added to Steam recently but they didn't bother to get DDO on the front page of Steam, so it's pretty obvious they don't really care about advertising. Getting on the front page of Steam can lead to a massive spike in sales/interest, as it did when DDO was released on Steam.

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #44 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Feklar wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 3:03am:

This sounds like a great way to get fired.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #45 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Thanks Maj. Though I care more about lag that raid timers atm...

EDIT: Seems to me raid timers is a big enough issue for a hotfix imo.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2013 at 11:28am by Meat-Head »  

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Feklar
Korthos Resident

Not a hater, ... unless
you're human.

Reply #46 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Regarding QA not being gatekeepers. Well... there's the "Q", and there's the "A". The definition seems self evident.

Regarding a good way to get fired. That's why you don't do it alone. Find those co-workers that have some altitude on the ladder and feel the same way. Don't issue any ultimatums obviously, but show that there is a solidaritous group. Have the balls. Worst case, get fired, find a new job with a company that has a higher level of care. Comes down to that - how much is your integrity worth?

IP Logged

mudfud
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:17am:
Damn...  I always miss most of them...  Thanks for the updates, btw...

LOL They only found 4. There are still more just from the expansion and a few older ones back still.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #48 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Rolling back was not an option sadly, it was discussed, but would have put us in a worse place with this raid counter stuff. All this will be sorted out with the next patch.

Why was that code in the Maintenance stream to begin with? Clearly that belongs in the Development stream. You guys use a Code Versioning System that supports Branch and Merge operations, right? Or do you work only in a single trunk and Rollback is all you've left yourselves?

Getting chocolate in your peanut butter is funny and tasty, getting development code in your maintenance code means you can neither develop nor maintain well.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Maj, I feel your pain. I'm a software developer and I've been in shops where QA is an afterthought, and is resented by developers. I suspect you take crap at both ends - from us here and from the people at Turbine who want the warm fuzzy feeling of doing a good job without the actual work of doing a good job (not that they all fall in that class). I don't know if it will help you, but while I was going through the Certified Quality Engineer certification process I came across a quote that I've successfully used to justify bringing QA in early on my projects, maybe it will help you get a say earlier in the process there.

The quote is by Harold Dodge but Deming made it famous, "You cannot inspect quality into a product. The quality is there or it isn't by the time it's inspected."

Good luck, and thanks for not just giving up.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #49 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Feklar wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:14pm:
co-workers that have some altitude on the ladder

like.... feather?  Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint