Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) majmal - what the fuck? (Read 30119 times)
rest
One Man Wolfpack

majmal - what the fuck?
Aug 29th, 2013 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Did you not assure the quality of this stupid separation of heroic/epic quest completions? Jesus tapdancing christ. And you want to say that the game is less buggy than it's ever been? HA.

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Re: majmal - what the fuck?
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Keep in mind that in most organizations QA can find and report defects, but the organization as a whole can then decide to *not* fix them, or to postpone a fix.

That being said, I'm not sure which would be the worse scenario - that QA didn't find these probelms, or that they found them and Turbine decided to release anyway.

I'd say this is a steaming pile, but a steaming pile can actually be marginally useful if used as fertilizer.

IP Logged

gardner
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
GooFY wrote on Aug 29th, 2013 at 3:34pm:
That being said, I'm not sure which would be the worse scenario - that QA didn't find these probelms, or that they found them and Turbine decided to release anyway.

Surely Turbine wouldn't decide to release a product with known defects anyway.  It's not like they have a history of doing so.

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Smiley fix one bug, generate two new ones Smiley

Smiley

Smiley

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Please hire a UI developer.  Command line interfaces ended with MUDs.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
man I loved playing MUDs...

....back in 1996.

IP Logged

LafoMamone
Waterworks Kobold

Feather of Sun's Chief
Muse

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 21st, 2013 at 9:37pm:
Give the buggy crap a rest. The game is in better shape now than it has been since 2011.

Give the buggy crap a rest. The game is in better shape now than it has been since 2011.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
1)  Everyone releases products with known defects (some just release with more defects than others).

2)  QA will miss stuff.  However, missing this bug that involved a feature they were explicitly changing/fixing should get someone fired. 

But likely Turbine knew about the problem and released anyway.

IP Logged

pnellesen
Titan Demolisher

We can't all just get
along.

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Just....

Not even "wow".

I don't even want to log in and see how many Heroic FoTs they think I've run now :/

[Edit: They got my FoTs right, but my ADQs are all showing Heroic now.... that may not be such a bad thing, considering Wink ]
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2013 at 5:58pm by pnellesen »  

IP Logged

AnalFissure
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Aug 29th, 2013 at 4:52pm:
Please hire a UI developer.  Command line interfaces ended with MUDs.

If only we had some interface already in game for this stuff. That comes up when you hit the "L" Key. We could call it a quest journal or something.

Please hire some developers that actually play your game and know what's there to be improved upon.

If I can go to my journal and see that I have an 88% XP Penalty for being overlevel in heroic GH (content dynamically calculated), then Putting in number of completions and ransack xp penalties shouldn't be rocket science.

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Give me $20,000 a month and I'll manage this game twice as good as you do with only a handful of people. Some reasonable store-products and art-department included. I'd fix all the shitty bugs and start a viral marketing campaign. I'd make all customers happy and make them actually spend money because the'd know the game's still running in 2 years. I'd polish this shit like it was a blizzard game, not some 3rd rate russian indie title. Halflings would worship me as a deity!!!  Smiley

Instead we have ... this!
Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2013 at 6:35pm by DDOcrackhead »  

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

sadface
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
well i am not a user so i do not feel this pain. Grin

IP Logged

Sgtgig
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
DDO's code must really be a mess if it has this much trouble with basic integers. I usually don't mind bugs but this is just sad. I sort of feel or majmal.

Showing "you have -80 enhancement points" could have easily been a result of one single erroneous bit, but this raid counter bug seems to be totally random.

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
I should look into this. Is /quest completions FoS'ed?

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Sgtgig wrote on Aug 29th, 2013 at 6:43pm:
DDO's code must really be a mess if it has this much trouble with basic integers. I usually don't mind bugs but this is just sad. I sort of feel or majmal.

Showing "you have -80 enhancement points" could have easily been a result of one single erroneous bit, but this raid counter bug seems to be totally random.

But random is better, right???

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #15 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Aug 29th, 2013 at 7:20pm:

Ok, you actually got me to laugh out loud with that one Smiley

IP Logged

sadface
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Aug 29th, 2013 at 7:20pm:

well played Grin

IP Logged

fuckFoS
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I had a big what the fuck moment when i logged in after two weeks to see that i had completed heroic citw 16 times.
well no fucking wonder that raid has shit for drprates then if i've been playig a difficulty setting that doesnt exist. bangup job turbine, really.

IP Logged

Feklar
Korthos Resident

Not a hater, ... unless
you're human.

Reply #18 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
My favorite part of this whole shinannegan is that the reason they split the counter was in anticipation of providing separate lists for H and E. Except Cord then says that that feature may or may not ever actually happen. So like, we usually get bugs when new features are introduced, but this time they skipped the feature and just gave us the bug. That's just downright brilliant.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Aug 29th, 2013 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Sgtgig wrote on Aug 29th, 2013 at 6:43pm:

We fought this bug all week. Delayed patch twice. I'm not in today, but what I got from email is it is one epic quest, and can be fixed a. by CS, b.versioning in the next patch.
Chill. It wasn't perfect, but I was seeing crashes every day that we were sitting on in the patch, and 4+ exploits exc. Rolling back was not an option sadly, it was discussed, but would have put us in a worse place with this raid counter stuff. All this will be sorted out with the next patch.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #20 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:08am
Print Post  
I don't think he will care, but here is my opinion:
Each time they get new code monkeys, they jump all in to solve a problem by rewriting it their way. They don't solve the players' true problem, players don't "love" their work and then the developer quits / moves on. So, Turbine will abandon that system because another Dev comes along with a "great idea". So, we have more useless crap to collect, characters are completely changed, equipment is useless.

These recent enhancement changes are like me being stuck in traffic and mad about it. Then, a bum (Turbine dev) comes along, spits on my windshield, "cleans" it with a dirty rag and demands some money.
They don't realize that the reason I am not moving is the FUCKING TRAFFIC and that cleaning my windshield doesn't make me go any faster.
And, they (Mal) wants me to "thank them" for fucking up my windshield and not solving my original problem - that I am stuck in traffic.

Thanks for not understanding the Issue, Mal.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:11am
Print Post  
DDOcrackhead wrote on Aug 29th, 2013 at 6:28pm:
Give me $20,000 a month and I'll manage this game twice as good as you do with only a handful of people. Some reasonable store-products and art-department included. I'd fix all the shitty bugs and start a viral marketing campaign. I'd make all customers happy and make them actually spend money because the'd know the game's still running in 2 years. I'd polish this shit like it was a blizzard game, not some 3rd rate russian indie title. Halflings would worship me as a deity!!!  Smiley

Instead we have ... this!
Smiley

Wow. Total bullshit. No idea what it takes to run an MMO. Blizzard? And the undead army that they have? Go look at their staffing. The job page goes on for like 16 pages. They have a separate building for QA. For 3 games. 300+ testers.
Like Far Cry 3? 1000 people worked on that.
Knights of the Old republic? 500.
Skyrim on line - close to 800 now.
Well, go forth armchair developer. Unity is easy. Go build this mystical game. Love to play it...in like 100 years.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:08am:
I don't think he will care, but here is my opinion:
Each time they get new code monkeys, they jump all in to solve a problem by rewriting it their way. They don't solve the players' true problem, players don't "love" their work and then the developer quits / moves on. So, Turbine will abandon that system because another Dev comes along with a "great idea". So, we have more useless crap to collect, characters are completely changed, equipment is useless.

These recent enhancement changes are like me being stuck in traffic and mad about it. Then, a bum (Turbine dev) comes along, spits on my windshield, "cleans" it with a dirty rag and demands some money.
They don't realize that the reason I am not moving is the FUCKING TRAFFIC and that cleaning my windshield doesn't make me go any faster.
And, they (Mal) wants me to "thank them" for fucking up my windshield and not solving my original problem - that I am stuck in traffic.

Thanks for not understanding the Issue, Mal.

I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #23 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:17am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 29th, 2013 at 11:59pm:
and 4+ exploits exc.

Damn...  I always miss most of them...  Thanks for the updates, btw...

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #24 - Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:28am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:11am:
Wow. Total bullshit. No idea what it takes to run an MMO. Blizzard? And the undead army that they have? Go look at their staffing. The job page goes on for like 16 pages. They have a separate building for QA. For 3 games. 300+ testers.
Like Far Cry 3? 1000 people worked on that.
Knights of the Old republic? 500.
Skyrim on line - close to 800 now.
Well, go forth armchair developer. Unity is easy. Go build this mystical game. Love to play it...in like 100 years.

Smiley

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint