Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Sunday Sept 1 (Read 30836 times)
Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: Sunday Sept 1
Reply #125 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:03pm:
T1, oh dear, where do you live ?  ( well here we call that E1 and it's a 2Mb link instead of a 1.56Mb link )

Yes your fucking DSL connection has more bandwidth than a fucking T1.

We are talking about STM64 or STM256 here ( or OC-192/ OC-768 ) at minimum. ( That's 10Gb and 32GB respectively )

Probably more. ( maybe 1Teb, as there's some involved in the traceroute just before Turbine )

Well, yes my understanding of specific equipment is lacking, by T1 I just meant something directly on web of the ilk that you have mentioned, but the essence of the idea is correct.  Does Turdbine do anything hardware for any of their games?  I'm guessing it's all farmed out to subcontractors.  But in my defense, I do know of Rasteau which you mentioned in a post a while back, it's been a long time since I have had one, they've gotten a bit out of my price range, plus being in California, the selection of French and Italian wines is rather limited...
  I've had to do the Languedoc dance from the Rhone valley in search of the daily drinkable...  Last really good Rhone I had was a Santa Duc Gigondas a few years back, that was bottled as a "meritage" because the yield was well over the bottling allotment for Gigondas that year, .... good times!  T

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #126 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
BTW Lotro twitter said they would update in 3 hrs even if it was "no update", that sounds good... Not.  (that was 30mins ago) T

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #127 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:11pm:
Maybe the Turbine login server is on fire in a hurricane underwater with a date related glitch and no power?

Well there's that IT company in New Orleans that managed to keep their servers up all the while the city was underwater from Katrina, they even made a blog about it.

Now, once again for the idiots that don't get it, and in simple terms :

Pando = bittorrent

Pando is not related to the game except that it's used by some to download the game.
Pando can be removed safely ( and it's best to do it ) once the game is installed.
Pando has absolutely no impact on the game

You cna play without Pando being installed ( like me, and I never installed it to be able to play, I recovered the installation files long ago  )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #128 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:25pm
Print Post  

GawnasCavernDestroyer has turned his evil eye towards Turbine!

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Dragonfly
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #129 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:09pm:
Now, once again for the idiots that don't get it, and in simple terms :

Pando = bittorrent

Pando is not related to the game except that it's used by some to download the game.
Pando can be removed safely ( and it's best to do it ) once the game is installed.
Pando has absolutely no impact on the game

You cna play without Pando being installed ( like me, and I never installed it to be able to play, I recovered the installation files long ago  )

How dare you try to infuse truth when so many are continuing to spout the Pando conspiracy all over the forums!   Shocked

Getting rid of Pando was one of the first things I did when I first installed DDO forever ago.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #130 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Could the lack of pando be putting unusual strain on the DDO servers?  Or would they have a separate server system to handle game downloads/updates?  (Again, not terribly computer literate, but eager to learn Cheesy )

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #131 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:25pm:
Could the lack of pando be putting unusual strain on the DDO servers?  Or would they have a separate server system to handle game downloads/updates?  (Again, not terribly computer literate, but eager to learn Cheesy )

No.
Yes the download server is separate... The fucking download server is not even in Turbines network.
Dig out some of my older posts here where I points to DDO talking to third party servers .
One of them is the download server.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #132 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Oh and MajMal, if you're around : The poor guys at the data center trying to fix the thing have my compassion. I know what it means to be called at an indecent hour to fix a broken piece of hardware.

Once it took me ( and 2 colleagues doing shift ) form Friday 10 AM to Sunday 5 AM to get a system back (semi) online... Then it took us a full month of work to get things squared out.
( fiber channel controled that went awol and wrote shit on the hard disks he had under control, customer that didn't have any recent backup, a few had disks that were actually failed and a database server... )

IP Logged

DDOcrackhead
Stormreaver Piker

Worlds: Khyber, Wayfinder

Reply #133 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Ok I'm an addict on withdrawal and I know that's part of the problem, yet I have to be mean and say: Why do this fat ass Jerry and the dyke not give out any information whether this will take 1 hour or 1 day?

'no ETA yet' - Those clowns usually give an ETA exactly 10 minutes after it's back online again. HELLO - it's too f***g late then for an ETA! I'm sitting here pushing the Login-button over and over and over again. What these community-guys are getting payed for?  Angry

***TWF-Kalashtar, 1-st hand: Nerf-hammer, 2-nd hand: Troll-hammer. Intimidate 500. Bluff 600***

IP Logged

deftest
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #134 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
DDOcrackhead wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 1:52pm:
Ok I'm an addict on withdrawal and I know that's part of the problem, yet I have to be mean and say: Why do this fat ass Jerry and the dyke not give out any information whether this will take 1 hour or 1 day?

'no ETA yet' - Those clowns usually give an ETA exactly 10 minutes after it's back online again. HELLO - it's too f***g late then for an ETA! I'm sitting here pushing the Login-button over and over and over again. What these community-guys are getting payed for?  Angry

no eta? either they dont have a clue ( they arent techs)or the clue that they do have would cause much nashing of teeth and auto hair removal

IP Logged

LafoMamone
Waterworks Kobold

Feather of Sun's Chief
Muse

Reply #135 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:05pm
Print Post  

Because they are patsies who don't know shit except making/bringing coffee to the big guys and locking down/deleting threads when the criticism gets too much for Hendrik/Thrudh to contain on their own.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #136 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 12:11pm:
No, no. I'm just kiddin. Rest assured, "They continue to work with their vendors to resolve the current issues"

See i knew my faith wasn't misplaced:

[quote=jerry]
Login and Launcher Issues: September 2nd, 2013 Last Updated 1:42 PM Eastern
UPDATED: We continue to work with our vendors to resolve the current issues. [/quote]

Also im staring at character select so i think its up.
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:14pm by eighnuss »  

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #137 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
I guarantee they have a pretty good idea when they'll be back up. The problem is it's probably not going to be today and if they publicized that, not only would the DDO Forums be even more deeply in the land of Butt Hurtia, places like TenTonHammer and Massively would go stark raving banana noses and totally reem Turbine back into the King's Quest age.

Edited:
Oops...servers are ACTUALLY up.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:16pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #138 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
I loved King's Quest IV.

It never crashed on my 8086, either.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #139 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
currently in game on the flagship ddo server of sarlona

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #140 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
I was able to log onto Sarlona with pylotro. Who knows how long things will stay up though.

IP Logged

Slug
Shroud Slacker

Reply #141 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:15pm:
currently in game on the flagship ddo server of sarlona

I am also on.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #142 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Also in on Sarlona.

Like an airline, "Special Needs" customers are seated early.

Cheesy

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #143 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:35pm
Print Post  

I can answer for him.
First I'm critical to Turbine when it's needed ( like now, but that's a manglement decision and the poor guys at the bottom are just there to take the flak ).

They can't give an ETA because they have no idea of the ETA.

See my previous post, when I was called at 10 AM on friday I  had no clue of the size of the failure.
The Fiber channel card was replaced at 4PM.
Then I spent from 4PM to 10 PM to try to get back the server working.
I raised the fucking Third Line ( going through the second line like lightning after explaining the problem at 10 PM. I left the site, a colleague joined me at midnight, at 3 AM on Saturday.
I went back on the site at 5PM on the Saturday, the system was not online yet, there was a few databases to restore.
That was already one day and a half of downtime and we fucking had no clue of the ETA when the system would be back online as we had 4 databases to recover from a 2 year old backup...
( and even if we could recover we didn't know if the data in the databases wasn't too obsolete )
After restoring all the databases it was 3AM Sunday, the system came online but with two years old data. ( it as a provisioning system for telco equipments, needless to say that we HAD TO recover the missing data one way or another before the customer could provision data again, it took us a month )

So all in all in my case, the downtime started at 10 AM on a Friday and lasted until 5AM on a Sunday... And we had no clue about the ETA or partial system recovery until 1 AM on Sunday.

This outage made history in Local Support, at the Global Support Level and at the Third Line ( Design ) level as one of the best (disaster) recovery ever made on that system, but I can tell you that when I was working on it it didn't feel like one of the best recovery, it was a pure and unbriddled nightmare.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint