Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) U22 Swashbuckler Dev post by Varg (Read 49423 times)
TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

U22 Swashbuckler Dev post by Varg
Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/441193-Swashbuckler#post5318269

Quote:
Hi! We’re writing to give you an early look at the Swashbuckler, an upcoming Bard Prestige Enhancement line coming to DDO with Update 22. A major focus of Swashbuckler is a new style of fighting in DDO: Single-Weapon Fighting. We’re working on creating a line of Single-Weapon Fighting Feats, similar in power and scope to Two-Weapon and Two-Handed Fighting, tentatively giving some Dodge and Armor Piercing (ignoring enemy Fortification.) The Swashbuckler also supports Thrown Weapon builds. The Swashbuckler’s Sonic damage scales with Spellpower in most places.

We believe having the Swashbuckler focus on Single-Weapon Fighting makes for interesting build options, both for pure Bards and multi-classed characters. We’ve also worked to make sure that players can spend a moderate amount of points in the Swashbuckler tree and receive good benefits, even if the build isn’t focusing on Single-Weapon Fighting. We’re hoping to find time to improve Warchanter and Spellsinger as well, although those improvements are likely more limited in scope, and those changes may end up delayed beyond the launch of Update 22.

Please take a look at the Swashbuckler, and give us your comments, general ideas, and larger reactions in addition to feedback on individual abilities. As usual, this is an early look, so details may change, including names, individual numbers, including AP costs, and any balance concerns (which we welcome your input on.)

Core Abilities
1 AP, class level 1: Swift Strikes: Passive: +1% Dodge.
5 AP, class level 3: Swashbuckling: Defensive Stance: You gain 1% Doublestrike and Doubleshot as well as +1 to the Enhancement Bonus of the weapon in your main hand. Swashbuckling requires wielding a Finesseable or Thrown weapon in your main hand, wielding a Buckler or nothing in your off hand, and wearing Light Armor or no armor. (Druids cannot Swashbuckle while in animal forms.)
Passive: In addition, while Swashbuckling, you gain +1 Damage, and the weapon in your main hand gains a Competence bonus to Critical Damage Multiplier that makes it x3 (ignoring other bonuses) and Critical Threat Range that makes it 18-20 (ignoring other bonuses).
10 AP, class level 6: Uncanny Dodge: You gain the Uncanny Dodge feat. Passive: Swashbuckling grants an additional 1% Doublestrike, 1% Doubleshot, and +1 Damage.
20 AP, class level 12: Panache: While Swashbuckling, you gain +1% Dodge, 1% Doublestrike, 1% Doubleshot, +1 Damage, +1 Reflex Saving Throw, and the weapon in your main hand gains an additional +1 to its Enhancement bonus.
30 AP, class level 18: Roll with the Punches: While Swashbuckling, you gain +5 Insight Bonus to Character Dodge Cap, the Slippery Mind feat, +1% Doublestrike, 1% Doubleshot, and +1 Damage.
41 AP, class level 20: Evasive Maneuvers: +2 CHA, +2 DEX.While Swashbuckling, you gain the Evasion feat, +1% Doublestrike, 1% Doubleshot, +1 Damage, and the weapon in your main hand gains an additional +1 to its Enhancement bonus.

Tier One

On Your Toes: +1/2/3 Dodge
Blow By Blow:
Multiselector: Melee or Thrown Attack: Make an attack with +(1/2/3) critical threat range that deals extra Sonic damage, and reduces your threat with nearby enemies. This sonic damage scales with Spell Power.
Multiselector: Insults
Scathing Words: Activate to reduce the Fortitude saves of nearby enemies by 3. (Costs Spell Points, moderate cooldown)
Cutting Jibes: Activate to reduce the Will saves of nearby enemies by 3. (Costs Spell Points, moderate cooldown)
Appalling Diatribe: Activate to reduce the Reflex saves of nearby enemies by 3. (Costs Spell Points, moderate cooldown)
Tavern Shanties: +1/2/3 Bard Songs.
Limber Up: +(1/2/3) to Balance, Jump, Swim, and Tumble. 3rd Rank: When you Tumble, you gain +3 to saves against traps for 6 seconds. 12 second cooldown.

Tier Two

En Pointe: Melee Attack: Make an attack with +4/8/12 critical threat range, but -1 Critical Multiplier. Costs Spell Points to activate.
Deflect Arrows: You gain the benefits of the Deflect Arrows feat, knocking aside one incoming projectile that would have struck you every 6/4/2 seconds. (Antireq Tempest Deflect Arrows)
Aqua Vitae: Gain 3 Temporary Hit Points per Bard Level for 9 seconds. Heal 1d6 HP every two seconds while the temporary hitpoints persist. (Long cooldown).
Sword Dance: While Swashbuckling, when enemies miss you in combat, you deal 1d10/1d12/1d20 Sonic Damage. Scales with Spell Power. (This triggers off of various miss chances, including Dodge, Armor Class, Displacement, etc.)
Multiselector:
Action Boost: Doublestrike: You gain +10/20/30% Action Boost bonus to Doublestrike for 20 seconds. Usable 5 times per rest.
Action Boost: Doubleshot: You gain +10/20/30% Action Boost bonus to Doubleshot for 20 seconds. Usable 5 times per rest.

Tier Three

Elegant Footwork: When enemies miss you while Swashbuckling, they have a small chance to be knocked down with no save. Cooldown: 12 seconds.
Swashbuckling Style:
Dashing Scoundrel: While Swashbuckling with nothing in your off hand, you gain +1 Damage per 5 Character levels and 7% Doublestrike/Doubleshot.
Skirmisher: While Swashbuckling with a Buckler in your off hand, you gain 7% Dodge.
Arcane Marauder: You can now Swashbuckle with an Orb in your off hand. (Does not count as a Buckler for Buckler-specific abilities). Requires Magical Training.
Cannoneer: You can now Swashbuckle with a Rune Arm in your off hand. (Does not count as a Buckler for Buckler-specific abilities). Requires Runearm Proficiency.
Resonant Arms: While Swashbuckling, the Finesseable or Thrown weapon in your main hand deals an additional 2d6/4d6/6d6 Sonic Damage on critical hits.This Sonic damage scales with spellpower.
Fast Movement: You run faster. Additional Bard levels increases the speed bonus.
CHA/DEX

Tier Four

On the Mark: Passive +1/2/3 to attack rolls to confirm critical hits and damage on critical hits (before weapon multipliers)
Multiselector: Swashbuckling Style II
Slap in the Face: While Swashbuckling and wielding nothing in your off hand, activate to deal 1 Bludgeon damage. Damaged enemies can't cast spells for 3/6/9 seconds and are stunned for one second (Perform + d20 saves for the Stun). 18 second cooldown. Costs 10 Spell Points.
Low Blow: While Swashbuckling and wielding a Buckler in your off hand, activate to perform a shield bash with +2 Critical Threat Range and Multiplier. On hit, briefly knock down affected enemy (Perform + d20 saves for the Knockdown). Costs 10 Spell Points.
Loud & Clear:Toggle: While Swashbuckling with an Orb in your off hand, +10 Sonic Spell Power.
Tune Arm/Music Box: Toggle: While Swashbuckling with a Rune Arm in your off hand, your Rune Arm Weapon Imbue deals an additional 1d6 Sonic damage.
Battering Barrage: (2 AP, 2 ranks) While Swashbuckling, critical hits inflict Destruction/Improved Destruction.
Wind at my Back: +1 to the Enhancement Bonus of your equipped Throwing Weapons, plus an additional +1 for every five Bard levels.
CHA/DEX

Tier Five

Thread the Needle: While Swashbuckling, +5 Damage while the Precision feat is active.
Exploit Weaknesses:While Swashbuckling, every time you damage an enemy but do not critically hit, you gain a stacking +1 Insight Bonus to Critical Threat Range until you successfully critically hit.

There's a chart as well(edited got the chart as well).

Yeah, I'm on the fence here, I don't think it buffs bards?
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:24pm by TractorsareEpic »  

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: U22 Swashbuckler Dev post by Varg
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
single weapon fighting feats to come eh? I wonder if they'll change d axes/b swords to not give glancing blows with the thf feats when wielding a shield.

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:22pm:
single weapon fighting feats to come eh? I wonder if they'll change d axes/b swords to not give glancing blows with the thf feats when wielding a shield.

Yeah who knows what they're thinking. Blah. I can't get excited or optimistic about anything concerning DDO anymore.

I have 2 bards, at 1st glance I doubt I'll use anything in this tree? Maybe a couple of things...

IP Logged

Bones
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
This is actually kind of interesting... It seems to encourage multiclassing with an arti...

EDIT: Ah, nevermind... Crossbows aren't Finesseable...
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2014 at 2:55pm by Bones »  

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Fantastic tree.  Except for the "While Swashbuckling" on pretty much every enhancement...  Single weapon fighting sucks, whether you have a shield or not.  I somehow doubt that will change in the next year.

Could be a good splash into Monk, perhaps?  As long as everything works with Handwraps and as long as Handwraps count as a single weapon.

Monk/Fighter/Bard or Monk/Bard/Paladin?

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
3 Bard splash on thrower builds...?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Yeah splash bard on your monk notPOPE. Tell me how that works out for you  Grin  Cheesy  Cheesy

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:43pm:
Yeah splash bard on your monk notPOPE. Tell me how that works out for you  Grin  Cheesy  Cheesy

Okay, I guess I forgot about that alignment thing.  Smiley

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
The point about SWF has been raised... by me at least.

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2014 at 2:25pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Half Elf Creeper
Waterworks Kobold

Fer.nan.do thinks I'm
hawt

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
I think I'll stick with the other bard trees, which goes a long way to demonstrating how incredibly meh this tree is, IMO.  I'm not retiring my epic Sword of Shadows for this.

Way to kick a bard when he's already down...

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Seems very meh.  Bonuses are ok but loosing paladin and monk splash as well as encouraging light armor.  Not enough defense to give up monk/ pal. And not enough defense to not 2hand or twf

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
has the potential to make all throwing weapons very viable without monk levels, therefore making all Throwers competitive with all other ranged options.

Huge potential. You people have no vision, or no building skillz. Either way, this is sort of bad ass.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:01pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:01pm:
Huge potential. You people have no vision, or no building skillz. Either way, this is sort of bad ass.

Sad

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
has the potential to make all throwing weapons very viable without monk levels, therefore making all Throwers competitive with all other ranged options.

hahaha

fuck you

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:21pm
Print Post  

You are wrong.  GO ride Nancy Corod's dick some more.  I hear he is feeling down today.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #15 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Shadehater wrote on Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:21pm:
You are wrong.  GO ride Nancy Corod's dick some more.  I hear he is feeling down today.

Prove it asshole

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #16 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:08pm:
Sad

you hadn't commented yet so you don't count

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #17 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:19pm:
hahaha

fuck you

I only play my thrower now, I've fully converted. I realize not everyone eats, breathes, and sleeps throwers so whatever.

I am much less sold on the one handed fighting style that is the other side of this prestiges coin. also, I care much less about it.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:32pm
Print Post  

Bardbarian thrower build with 2 levels of Rogue for Evasion.

If you've absolutely, positively got to avoid that yellow bar, might as well do it in style.  Smiley

(and with 0 total bonus feats)

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #19 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
this tree has potential if they add new feats that would boost your damage while one handed fighting.....all in all, the tree isn't half bad, it just relies on one handed fighting too much.

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #20 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:32pm:
Bardbarian thrower build with 2 levels of Rogue for Evasion.

If you've absolutely, positively got to avoid that yellow bar, might as well do it in style.  Smiley

(and with 0 total bonus feats)

What about Rogue with Int to Damage and Daggers?

Bard + Barb Speed would be pretty cool too.

If this stays mostly whole until live, I'm dreaming about a Dwarf Str or maybe Con based hammer thrower in LD with pulverizer.
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:38pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

tachyon
Titan Demolisher

Reply #21 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Wonder if these feats work for druids. I wouldn't mind wielding a thrower in wolf form. Not as bad as putting a scroll on and forgetting it's there  Smiley

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #22 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
I predict my bard is sticking with his ESoS and not putting a point in this laughable tree.

IP Logged

jaggedmonk
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
I kind of like the idea and direction they are going with it.
Of course the implementation will most likely make the end product a bag of meh.

Adding spellpower to its sonic dmg bonuses is great, but only if the base dice/number is large enough to boost DPS so it can compete with TWF / 2HF.

Aqua Vitae also sounds good, but 9 seconds duration is nothing for THP.  Healing 1d6 every two seconds for that 9 seconds isn't going to keep anyone alive either.
If its 3 THP / bard level for 9 sec/bard level and healing 1d6/bard level every 2 seconds (boosted by meta's and spellpower) then its a lifesaver.

I really wanted to see CHA for hit/dmg from Core 0 and 1.  Without that the stat boost should add STR as an option.

If they add 2 or 3 feats that really do give single-weapon fighting enough punch to compete with TWF / 2HF then this might be a rather good prestige for some bard players. 
I would probably find a way to make it work for a build.  Of course I'd keep an LR stone in bank just in case.

IP Logged

Houshi
Dragon Raider

Click here to unnerf grease

Reply #24 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
tachyon wrote on Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:37pm:
Wonder if these feats work for druids. I wouldn't mind wielding a thrower in wolf form. Not as bad as putting a scroll on and forgetting it's there  Smiley

Thrower in wolf form. Got it. Wonder if the sonic damage would be affected by other things beside spell power

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint