Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I'm Kind of a noob with casters - Please help (Read 1209 times)
radonek
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

I'm Kind of a noob with casters - Please help
Jan 30th, 2015 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Okay, so after years of playing melee and ranged toons, I decided to dive into the world of the caster. I made a pretty successful Sorc Shirardi caster that I basically will play to nuke mobs. It was pretty easy and straight forward to play but I never had to worry much about DC's.

I noticed my guild really didn't have a CC toon. Now I'm guessing I should've went Bard for CC but I was always a fan of the Necromancer from way back and always wanted to make a palemaster. My idea was to make a toon that was about supporting a party and not DPS. So I created a max Intell 18/2  Sun Elf Wizard/Rogue because I thought it would be nice to be able to trap and CC and be a versatile support toon.

I don't remember why I chose Sun Elf, probably not the OP race but it's nothing a TR down the road can't fix. I run this toon in Magister and have basically used Enchanment as my school of choice to raise my DC's as high as I can for a first life. I have slotted Greater enchantment and greater Necromancy augments in my gear. My TF weapon also has the enchantment spell lore.

My main form of CC is Otto's Dancing Sphere...cast it, throw up a firewall, let the party hack and slash. for undead, i use command undead and undeath to death mostly but I dont really have any way of CCing undead. I use Feeblemind on casters to make them unable to cast (unless they save) and use spells like mass hold person, power word stun, power word blind, flesh to stone and Ottos irresistable dance to name a few. My DC's are between 54-59 plus a 20 second buff from Magister that brings my dancing ball DC to 64. Please keep in mind this is a first life toon.

I ran the Storm Horns chain on EE the other night fully expecting to be useless in there thinking my DC's won't be high enough to provide decent CC for the party. I was surprised...I was still making about 90% of the mobs dance...even in EE WGU.

I do my best to try and read up on builds and I like to tweak and experiment with new spells just to see what works...what doesn't and try and figure things out for myself. But I'm curious to know what some of you more experienced people here playing a CC toon do. Am I on the right track? What can I improve? Any suggestions? Should I not worry about any of this until I TR through all my caster lives to get my DC's higher? Is it possible I overlooked something and I could get my DC's higher then they are now without TRing?

Any help or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don't post often but I read these forums frequently and I respect the amount of knowledge you guys have brought here.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: I'm Kind of a noob with casters - Please help
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Sun Elf is the master wizard race if you LR out of the cleric level.

Will save target numbers are lowest (and easiest to hit.)

Disco Balls are best for large fights...combo with mindfog if your DC is low. Symbol of stunning is good, but I usually don't bother prepping that much. Greater Shout is good for stunning mobs too. Heightened web usually works well too on low reflex types. Halt undead is great for undead, a lot of mobs don't even get a save against it.

Spamming the Hypnotism and Resistable Dance SLA's is quite effective and efficient for single target CC or SP saving mode.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

radonek
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: I'm Kind of a noob with casters - Please help
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the input. I did LR the Cleric level out. I am curious though. When I TR should I just go pure pure wizard? I like the 2 rogue levels and I can trap pretty well. my DD and OL are in the high 80's but search is only mid 70's. Now I could fix that as well in a TR if I was to still do the rogue levels and trap.

Being new to casters, I have been experimenting with different spells to see what affect they have on mobs. I am liking the Feeblemind spell on casters.

I went into the archmage and palemaster trees with a small spalsh into EK to get mage armor, shield SLA's and some toughness.  I looked at the Harper tree but I dont have many points left over to use there and nothing caught my eye as a "must have" for a caster. I need to reset the archmage tree and take enchantment over necromancy to get the SLA's you suggested. They make more sense with the build anyway. In the Palemaster tree I dont use the pet at all. Seems like too many points to throw away. Any other ideas on enhancements to take?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint