Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) U27 Release Notes (Read 18750 times)
DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Re: U27 Release Notes
Reply #25 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 4:52pm:
You should see the actual bug list...

You can't because it doesn't exist.
Turdbine only selectively read the bug reports submitted.
Player lists that crop up from time to time are far more comprehensive.

Compiling a whole list would be too depressing, so they don't.

The whole bug list thing is just BS.
"It doesn't get on until it is confirmed as a bug".

How about making a semi-bug list then which lists all the reported issues that have not yet been "confirmed"? 
So that player's experiencing those aberrant features know they're not alone and that it might get looked at soon (TM).

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #26 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 2:53am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 5:05pm:
I would LOVE to see the actual bug list.  Especially if it listed for each entry date first reported and frequency of reports.

Maybe someone will get Strake a copy for Vault Leaks.

[quote]

There was a thread a few month ago ( was it for U25 or U26 ? ) that started to pile up bugs here in The Vault, it's nowhere a complete list, but it's probably the most comprehensive one.
I remember putting all the stuff in a text file.... but I can't find it on my home computer... so it is probably sitting on the HDD of my $Ork one.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #27 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 3:05am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 2:53am:
[quote]

There was a thread a few month ago ( was it for U25 or U26 ? ) that started to pile up bugs here in The Vault, it's nowhere a complete list, but it's probably the most comprehensive one.
I remember putting all the stuff in a text file.... but I can't find it on my home computer... so it is probably sitting on the HDD of my $Ork one.

Did you also make a features list?

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #28 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 3:13am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 7:50pm:
You can't because it doesn't exist.
<snip>

Of course it does.  It's just internal-only.  The one they publish is "hand-crafted" and naturally incomplete.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Some Guy Here On The Boards
Ghostbaned

Somewhere on Korthos Island

Reply #29 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Looks like some good, some bad with this update. On a side note, my antivirus kicked in with this new patch saying DDO was a virus now, lol. Using avg pro (got it for free :/ I know it's not the best).

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #30 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Some Guy Here On The Boards wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 7:04am:
Looks like some good, some bad with this update. On a side note, my antivirus kicked in with this new patch saying DDO was a virus now, lol. Using avg pro (got it for free :/ I know it's not the best).

Seriously, you're much better off using Microsoft Security Essentials than AVG.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Groo The Wanderer
Titan Demolisher

did I err?

Reply #31 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
^^ THIS

There was a time when AVG wasn't bad but they headed down the path of Norton and it's just bloatware crap now.

Security Essentials is just as effective, runs a much smaller profile and player nicer with just about everything.

where's the cheese dip?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #32 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 12:07pm:
Seriously, you're much better off using Microsoft Security Essentials than AVG.

MS SE is basically the only thing I use... and I've started using it not long ago...

Honestly, anti-virus nowadays are just bloatwares that are mostly useless unless you spend your time in the dark side of the Internet.
( and even there there's ways to avoid problems ).

I remember the time when Symantec was doing good stuff like Norton Commander, today they just make a piece of shit ( Symantec Security suite ) that fucks up so many things it forces me to stop it on my work PC everytime I reboot it. ( the services startups are locked in, Local admin can't bypass the service startup lock... but can stop it manually from command line )

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Agreed. AVG has turned from awesome to shit.  I guess they realized they make more money from idiots.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #34 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
TIL That AVG sux. I haven't been paying much attention to it. I've been using it for years. Now, I will ban it from my PCs with EXTREME PREJUDICE!

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #35 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 12:07pm:
Seriously, you're much better off not connecting to the internet. Ever.

ftfy

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #36 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Microsoft security essentials sucks ass at finding anything. It is especially terrible against malwares and adwares.

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #37 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 3:10pm
Print Post  

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Ginger_Walri
Titan Demolisher

Fire. Die In It.

Reply #38 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Used Avira for years, fuck AVG, Norton, and all that other bullshit.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 2:53am:
[quote] There was a thread a few month ago ( was it for U25 or U26 ? ) that started to pile up bugs here in The Vault, it's nowhere a complete list, but it's probably the most comprehensive one.

Yeah, it was when all that Cranemace stuff happened. It most definitely was not comprehensive, but what'd we get up to? 150? More?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Ginger_Walri wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 3:23pm:
Used Avira for years, fuck AVG, Norton, and all that other bullshit.

Same, I also use avast too.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #41 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 4:28pm:
Yeah, it was when all that Cranemace stuff happened. It most definitely was not comprehensive, but what'd we get up to? 150? More?

here it is, now that I have started $Ork Laptop :

Quote:

Current Known Issues (4-28-2015)
Of Special Note:

Players purchasing the newest edition of the Monster Manual need to log out, then log back in,
after the purchase in order for their account to be refreshed.

It is possible to set a recipe to repeat and expend materials on a recipe even when additional
crafting produces no benefit when using the new multiple turn-in UI in a Barter UI.
For example, it is possible to upgrade a Thunder-forged weapon to Tier 2 multiple times if you
set your multiple turn-in box above 1. Please do not craft multiple items using the multiple
turn-in box unless creating more than one item produces a beneficial result until we get this
issue fixed.

Potions are consumed with no benefit if used just as toon begins to walk, including Gold seal pots, 18 months
This issue is also present for spells being casts, scrolls being used and SLA/clickies being triggered.
The relevant Spell Points, Scrolls, SLA or Clicky use gets used for no benefit.

Hirelings & Pets :

Artificer Pets go unresponsive and must be dismissed and re-summoned (losing all buffs) to allow them to
attack or operate levers again - a year?

Hirelings forget their "set AI" settings and resume undesired behavior as soon as your back is turned
- months?

Challenges:

The Kobold Island: Short Cuts optional objective "Kill 5 Orthon Lieutenants" is not able to
be completed.

DDO Game Launcher:

The French and German language game client is no longer supported. Please use our supported
game client to avoid certain UI issues.
When trying to launch the game client, make sure to use TurbineLauncher.exe
(located in your DDO installation folder), and make sure to shortcut the TurbineLauncher
(instead of the dndlauncher or other .exe's!)

Mac Game Client Issues:
Mac users utilizing the "Install, then play" DDO launcher option will encounter an message stating
a "disk image" error when launching the game client. This error does not impact the ability to
patch the game or play DDO.

Players using the Mac client may receive the message "dndclient quit unexpectedly" when quitting
the game through any method.

Players using the Mac client are not able to adjust their Brightness, Contrast and Gamma levels.

Characters :

*Races:

It is not possible to hide the Dragonmark on a Half-orc.

*Enhancements:

-Class :

+Rogue :
The Rogue Assassin's Nimbleness core enhancement is not providing a benefit on-hit, but does provide
a benefit when hit.

Time bomb is a bit moody.  Sometimes mobs will stand right on top of it and take no effect and have no
save.  Saving for half damage also appears broken as mobs that save often (or maybe always) take no damage.

+Bard :
The Swashbuckler stance is not applying its +1 Critical multiplier to thrown weapons.

Song of Arcane Might -- still does absolutely nothing

+Fighter :
The Kensei Agility enhancement's tool tip displays incorrect information when taken or reset until
the character logs out and then logs back into the game.

+Ranger :
The Deepwood Stalker enhancement "Improved Weapon Finesse" is not applying to Unarmed attacks or
Handwraps.

+Monk :
Shintao: the light based moves do not build up to finishing moves.
Core Arcane Archer enhancement bonuses to bows do not overwrite the already-present enhancement bonuses
on bows.

+Paladin :

The Paladin's Improved Dilettante does not add up to three points of the character's Charisma bonus to
increased Saving Throws.

+Artificer :

Artificer Enahancement "Automated Repairs" is badly broken, it works only occasionally.

-Race :

+Dwarf :
The Dwarven hands of stone DC bugged, has been for 34 months.

*Feats:

Divine Grace is not currently limiting its saving throw benefit based on Paladin level. This change will
be done for a future game update.

Epic Feats do not list their Pre-Requisites.

There is no Skill Focus: Spellcraft feat

*Epic Destinies :

-Legendary Dreadnought :

The cooldown for momentum swing will show as reset, when it actually isn't. Since U14, I think.

Unstoppable (LD Core 3) cannot be selected while restrained by most CC effects. Probably since U14.
In fact, let's just put here that most things that say they work while helpless/restrained, don't, since whenever they were introduced.

Sundering Swing (Tier 1 LD) does not apply the fort reduction or fort save reduction that it should. Since U14.

Tactical Genius (Tier 4 LD) doesn't work at all. Since U14.

Master's Blitz stacks can be lost while zoning in a quest. Since U14.

-Fury of the Wild :
The countdown for Unbridled Fury remain after they should be consumed to prepare the epic moment, giving
you two uses of said moment. Probably from U14 as well.

Enemies always save against the knockdown effect of Boulder Toss. May have been fixed, haven't tried it in a while.

-Shiradi Champion :
The countdown for Rain of Arrows

-Primal Avatar

The Dryad Elder from Primal Avatar heals and gives DW to enemies as well as allies. Since U14.

-Exalted Angel

The Mass Cure Wounds SLA from EA can't be cast while targeting a hostile undead. Since... dunno. Probably U14.

-Divine Crusader

The effect of Celestial Champion is removed when zoning, and weapons need to be switched out then back in to
reapply the bonus. Since... Epic Orchard?

Divine Crusader being a Lag Generator excluding this destiny from EE Raids/Quests.Tweaks in Lamania don`t seem to work.

Divine Crusader`s Crit Threat Range works only if you swap weapons every time you enter a new instance.

-Grand Master of Flowers

The Perfect Peace buildup counter can be lost while zoning in a quest. Since U14.

-Shadowdancer

Has Dark Imbuement ever actually worked? Never tried it myself, but heard things.

*Spells:

Spells with a Fortitude save for half damage are displaying an "Evade" combat text on a successful saving
throw.

Caster levels gained from epic destinies do not add to your spell penetration score. Haven't checked this one in
a while, might be fixed, but been there since U14.

The DC of Mass Frog is 30+WIS mod, contrary to the spell description. Also, its spell resistance check will
automatically fail every time.

Crushing Wave, Niac's and Creeping Cold have buggy interactions with each other. Creeping erases Niac's, Wave erases Creeping.

Caster levels gained from epic destinies do not add to your spell penetration score. Haven't checked this one in a while,
might be fixed, but been there since U14.

Is Holy Aura still bugged?

The DC for sleet storm is permanently 10, with no way of raising it. Since as far back as I can recall.

Death Pact sometimes auto-rezzes you. Since... I dunno, but I can remember a time when it didn't.

The air elemental Gust of Wind should have a save. It doesn't. I think this is from when they nerfed it.

Niac's,  Eladar's and Divine Punishment are not affected by CL/MCL increases. For as long as I can remember.

Disjunction (does anyone disjunct other than the Abbot?) can disable visual and practical effects on gear until
relogging. Since... dunno, was late to the Abbot scene.

*Guilds & Airships:

-Guild :

The commands /guild createrank, /guild renamerank, and all the rank related commands are disabled.
( at least 7 years )

-Airships:

After a sudden server restart, it can take up to an hour for pre-Update 22 "old" guild airship amenities
to repopulate. No action is needed for the amenities to reappear, but placing amenities
in the empty hook points can cause amenities to be overwritten when they repopulate.

Airship interior trim dyes do not work on some airships.

Airship tavern amenities are not currently working correctly, and are not allowing for spell
swaps, usage regeneration, and other tavern area effects. Additionally, Airship hot tubs and
top decks are not providing tavern area benefits.

The First Mate does not allow players to deposit platinum or other coinage (but does allow
players to deposit Astral Shards.)

Guild ship legacy buff NPC's fail to interact from mouse, must target and hit U 30% of the time 10 months

*Items:

The Diadem of Fire does not display correctly in darker lighting conditions.
Shining Crescents currently benefit from Single Weapon Fighting feats, even though it is a two-handed
weapon. This will be fixed in a future update.

Attempting to use a Key to the City - Eveningstar from a Veteran Status airship (Heart of Wind) or
Reincarnation Grove will prevent your character from being able to return to the Heart of Wind or
Grove. Please do not do this!
Older versions of the Libram of Silver Magic are not updating correctly if they were stored in a bank
or TR cache when Update 22 was released. Players affected by this should contact Customer Service
for assistance.

The Quiver of Poison's poison damage does not appear in the combat log.

The Treads of Falling Shadow's Ghostly effect does not bypass incorporeal creatures.

The Lantern Ring's Radiant Glory effect has an incorrect tooltip. The description should read, "On
Harmful Spellcast: Do an additional 2 to 12 Light damage. This effect scales with Light Spell Power.
Cooldown: 1 second." The upgraded version should read, "On Harmful Spellcast: Do an additional 3 to 18
Light damage. This effect scales with Light Spell Power. Cooldown: 1 second."
The Vertigo and Dazing weapon effects are affecting the wrong effects. Vertigo is increasing the DC
of Stunning effects instead of Trip effects, and Dazing is affecting Trip effects rather than Stunning
effects.

The Draught of Greater Heroism (and Warchanter Song of Heroism) are not providing Immunity to Fear.

* Crafting

- Trapmaking

The following traps seem to have no effect whatsoever - sleep, deep slumber, slow, daze monster, blindness,
hold person, cause fear, touch of idiocy, and dispel magic.  No save, no effect, the trap blows up and nothing happens.

Grease and ottos resistable dance traps partially work, but the DCs appear so low as to make them utterly
useless.  I don't think they follow the same DC rules as the other traps (those that actually work).

Thunderforged Weapons Tier 2 auto consume ingredients

*Quests:

-Not quest specific :
certain Spell Wards are considered 'blocked' when making disable attempts even if there's a clear line of
sight (Sep 2012)

-Deleras

The Fire Traps in the catacombs quest where delera is chasing you and you have to pull levers to get out
are bugged, you can disarm them but they still go off (or was this finally fixed?)

-Gianthold

It is possible to accidentally click on the Gianthold portal rather than the Gianthold wilderness area
when attempting to enter the Gianthold wilderness zone

-House Cannith

+Secrets of the Artificers
Warforged are missing their death animations.

-Orchard of the Macabre
+Ghosts of Perdition
The two brothers' hit points are too low on Epic Elite.

-Sentinels of Stormreach

+Spies in the House
Completing Spies in the House while running the Sentinels quest chain will cause Taggart d'Deneith to not
grant an end reward list for completing the quest chain.

-Three Barrel Cove
The Heroic Saga timer for the Three Barrel Cove quest arc is incorrectly set to be repeatable every four
days instead of every three days.

+Precious Cargo
Ranged attacks against moving airships will miss unless the attack targets and hits the center of the
airship.

-Devil Assault
The second boss in Devil Assault gets stuck in spastic teleport mode

-Thunderholme
There is a typo in Thela Bonmar's dialogue after players defeat Aurgolroasa.
Pressing the "use" button too quickly may cause a mirror to not reflect light properly until the mirror
is spun around again.

-Vale of Twilight
+Meridia
Valairea Satnerine's tutorial quest for the Altar of Fecundity doesn't check for items inside bags. As long
as the items she wants are outside the bags, she will take them.

+The Thirteen Eclipse

The side quests in The Thirteen Eclipse have been completely FUBAR since a few patches after the Module that
introduced Shroud ( before that they were just bugged )

-Temple of Elemental Evil

The outdoor map when you first enter the dungeon does not display.
The Dungeon Master audio and text for the end fight against Zuggtmoy gets cut off at the beginning of the
fight.

ToEE part II static chests fail to interact from mouse consistently. Player will often end up shoot or
attacking chest instead of opening, breaks stealth. most common site the Pyramid chest.  2 months

*Reincarnation:

It is possible for items to erroneously appear above or underneath other items in your first few inventory
slots following a Lesser or Epic Reincarnation, making it appear that an item disappeared. Moving your
inventory slots around can uncover these items.

The Lesser Reincarnation UI does not state that the account-level 32-Point Build option is required in order
to upgrade a character to 32-points when using a Lesser Reincarnation.

*UI:

The Social Panel does not display the names of party members in the LFM panel until the Who tab loads the
names of characters on the server first. To see LFM names, please select the Who panel, then allow the name
list to populate.

Items placed in the Shared Bank prior to the release of Update 24 are not able to be located through the
Search function of the bank until the items are returned to your inventory, then placed back into the Shared
Bank.

Quest Optional Objective text no longer lists monster names.

Festival Cookies will not go into the Bag Deposit Box.

Spell Critical effects sometimes post messages to the Combat Log about bonuses not stacking for effect types
they do not actually provide.

The word "Dodge" is used instead of "Spell Resistance" when a monster makes a Spell Resistance saving throw.

The Founder's Fountain in the Harbor displays only a black screen when clicked on.

The Challenge Rules button displays only a black window when selected.

If a player dies and checks the "Do Not Show" option in the "You Are Dead" UI box, then resets hints, the
"Do Not Show" check box remains checked the next time the "You Are Dead" box appears.
NPCs that have been turned to stone still move in the Focus Orb.

Bank UI will seize if inventory TR to bank spot movement is attempted to fast, all window must be
closed and reopened 8 months

Bank UI closes up a few seconds after being opened. This does not always occurs.

Adventure Compendium, Adventures Tab no longer retains quest sort order

Social Panel, Grouping Tab does not display player names until player clicks "Who" Tab

The loading screen for Tor likes to periodically invade other quests. Can't recall off the top of my head how long that one's been around.

The in-game bug-reporting system is broken.

*Monsters :

Scorpions can initiate a "burrow" action while held or paralyzed

Held and paralyzed monsters make reflex saves

Mobs will still move/attack while knocked down. Again, been around as long as I can remember.

*Other

Some ambient audio noises fail to clear up when changing instances/leaving the area, and persist in other
areas of the game when they should not.

In Dx11, some ground textures appear black, particularly if using the "Low" setting. This can be corrected
by turning on Multi-Pass Lighting in the graphics settings, or by increasing the display quality above "Low".
Artificer Iron Defender Modules appear under the Handwraps section of the Auction House.

Ladders in numerous quests are sticky stopping player's upward mobility. When present multiple attempts to
climb ladder required. Years

Mousewheel Zoom can stop working.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
And that. Isn't. All of them.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #43 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 3:13am:
Of course it does.  It's just internal-only.  The one they publish is "hand-crafted" and naturally incomplete.

You're such an Optimist.   Grin

Varg got caught out making a big deal about getting around to reading the bug reports on a burning issue (because he wasn't even aware there were any bug reports on the subject until he got rekt by many posters....) - the implication being that the devs don't normally read them.

I don't think they have a master list because it implies some level of competence and project mgmt - none of which have been demonstrated in any of their observable work (eg. version control, QA/QC, etc).

If it makes you feel better thinking they have a comprehensive master of list of bugs which they know about and choose to ignore, then so be it.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #44 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 10:09pm:
You're such an Optimist.

No, just worked on codebases larger than somebody's Crucible macro.

In any modern system, bugs are generally assigned to either a person or a group whose job it is to do the next step until it's resolved.  When they're entered, they'll either be unassigned completely or set to somebody by default, but that's very rarely a developer in practice, and I'd be shocked if Turbine did that.

What that means is it's perfectly possible (and plausible) that Varg has a bunch of bugs assigned to him, but doesn't go looking at new shit, so until somebody says "hey, you can equip epic stuff by dragging it from the bank," he has no idea about it.

That's shitty bug wrangling, but that part wouldn't surprise me at all.

Honest question: how do you think they keep track of bugs?

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #45 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 11:15pm:
No, just worked on codebases larger than somebody's Crucible macro.

In any modern system, bugs are generally assigned to either a person or a group whose job it is to do the next step until it's resolved.  When they're entered, they'll either be unassigned completely or set to somebody by default, but that's very rarely a developer in practice, and I'd be shocked if Turbine did that.

What that means is it's perfectly possible (and plausible) that Varg has a bunch of bugs assigned to him, but doesn't go looking at new shit, so until somebody says "hey, you can equip epic stuff by dragging it from the bank," he has no idea about it.

That's shitty bug wrangling, but that part wouldn't surprise me at all.

TL :  DR
I think bug tracking is haphazard as evidenced by their approach in general.  There are a number of clear indicators that bug tracking is not taken seriously (bugged online tool).

I'm not a coder, but I used to look after several financial systems where the error tolerance was far less than DDO and my team was smaller than Turdbines.  It was old, it was imperfect and I inherited it.  Similar situation to the current dev team.

We had two environments - "production" and "test" for sandboxing.

Production changes had to be packaged and had limited time windows for updates.  Test was available to us to make any changes and even had version history so we could select what version we wanted to Sandbox in.

All bugs reported came to a central DB.  Bugs that weren't reported by users, but found by the team, were also added.

That list was characterised in a number of ways to identify risk - business impact (critical/urgent/moderate/low from memory), fix complexity/time (estimates or 0 for unknown), timing (for less urgent fixes, but ones that should be in the next prodn update), bug/error type, who reported, assigned to, linked to (other bugs), and a few other administrative ones.

This could drop out a priority list in any number of ways.  Only had a small team with defined roles, so assignment wasn't such an issue.
But identifying, fixing and testing was important.

If a bug fix went into production and broke something else, there was always an investigation of the process of fixing and testing.  If it was found that the process wasn't followed or not thorough enough, it was my head on a platter.  Some fixes requires stress testing, and I would call in other super-users/users to help stress test the system in a test environment when required.

Why am I so hard on Turdbine?
Because they have fracking Lammania and don't use it to its potential.
Excuse 1 - Lamm code is different.  Well fracking make the base code the same, except for the Lammania specific elements which should be in a separate module.
Excuse 2 - it's a preview server, not a test server so it is too late in development to make substantive changes.  BS - what's the point of testing if you're aren't going to fix it?

There is no excuse why Turdbine should be pumping out the shit they do to Live, other than a lack of professionalism and lack of consequences.
No-one expects perfection, although if the bank loses your life savings to an "unfortunate bug", I think those Turdbine forums paladins might care a little bit.
This game has a loyal fan base more than willing to ensure the product's future and they don't use them or listen to them.

Having consequences really does change your view on what is acceptable to pass onto your customers.  "It's just a game" doesn't cut it with me, since I pay for it.

To address your question: I don't think they track bugs other than in a haphazard fashion.  I'm sure that there used to be a bug tracking system, but it was "someone else's" and has fallen into neglect.

Why do I think this:
1. The online bug reporting tool doesn't work.  Why the frack not?  how fracking hard can it be?  If you cared for one moment about the quality of your product and addressing bugs, you would fix this.  If anything, it just looks amateurish that your product's bug reporting tool is bugged.  A convenient excuse to minimise bug reports that you have to read?

2. They rely on people going online to report bugs.  Path of least resistance - good chance a very large proportion don't bother.  If the online tool worked, you could capture much more information about instance/loc/server load etc while making it painless for the customer to type in their problem.   Also, many times I've seen people complain on the forums about a bug that dozens reported and it never made it onto the official list.  What is the criteria for the "official list"?

3. When they do fix bugs, they forget to mention it in the release notes sometimes.  If they were serious about bugs, there would be more transparency and reporting.  If they were fixing bugs and tracking them, they could easily roll out a list to quell the "whiners".  Never seen it done.

4. Bugs are being fixed, but it is completely haphazard.  eg. the Cannith Crafting Crude Vial fix.  WTF?  That trick has been around for years in a now dead crafting system and someone decided to fix that ahead of I dunno... anything else??  There is no logic to what bugs are fixed and when.  Lots of small shit gets done, whilst much worse bugs that really piss players/customers off are left.  This to me is a clear indication of a haphazard system where devs pick the low hanging fruit to fix to meet some arbitrary KPI.

5.  Bugs re-appear over and over again.  Poor code version control.  There is no history of what a bug was, the cause and why & how it was fixed.  If there is a structured system to bugs, then team turnover has less effect as the history is recorded and accessible rather than in someone's head.

6.  The lack of professionalism displayed in the code itself.  "I don't know what this does, but don't touch it!"  We've discussed this previously and some think this is ok, but I believe your product is a representation of your approach.  A sloppy code base, permits future sloppy work.

7. The timing of fixes.  They know about features not working properly and yet they leave them for so long that players think they WAI.  They then cries of nerf!  The longer you leave it, the more people will build around it - thus affecting more of your customers adversely.  If you don't like how something is working in the first few days/weeks, then fix it fast and explain it to the customers.  Most will understand, some will not.  That's life.   Communication is there other great failing - they never explain anything, so people fill in the missing detail with the worst case scenario.  And then Cordo mocks them for being tin foil hatters.  Dickhead move.
Take Holy Sword for example, we know that they realise it is overpowered and plan to nerf it.  Why haven't they?  Why wait?  Hoping to leave it to the next chair warmer (producer)?
If you alert players that something isn't working as you expected and we plan to make changes after some testing, then anyone who builds around that only has themselves to blame.

8. The manner of bug/exploit fixes.  Look at the hamfisted way in which they try to address bugs.  They don't fix the root cause, they apply an interface restriction or some other stupid mechanism that just ruins the immersion for 100% of customers to stop 5% who are exploiting.  Many here on the vault would know a damn side more about the weaknesses in the system than the devs, because they keep finding exploits using the same methods.  Yet the devs keep creating content with the same weaknesses - where is the learning cycle evident in anything Turdbine have done?

I could go on, but I'm out of time.

You outline the system they might use - who assigned, how it progresses and the bureaucratic risks of information flows in larger orgns.   How big do you think the DDO team is?  I don't think there is the role diversity that you believe.

Last count, it has 4 developers and 1 system engineer left + some other support types.  Who do you think does the bug identification?
I think a Dev is primary bug identifier and the best placed to do root cause analysis.  If it leads back into the code, then you involve the systems engineer.  Depending on their backgrounds, the devs should be more than capable to investigate and fix some bugs.

In a team of 5-8 people in the same location, communication is not that hard, nor is a bug tracking tool.  You could do it in a spreadsheet on a shared drive if you put a few hours into it.

The problem with assignation in DDO is how do you do it?  Who do you assign to fix a Cannith Crafting bug when no-one know anything about it or wants to touch it?  Their own stuff probably gets fixed first and old "shit" gets left to rot unless it is an exploit.

Summary: I reckon it's a complete mess.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:28am by DropBear »  

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #46 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Bugzilla?

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #47 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:53am
Print Post  
the implication being that the devs don't normally read them.

He said it as if it were an unusual and special favor just to look at the bug reports for one issue.

Forget Varg. for a moment. Remember MajMal? He came to The Vault specifically to con folks into handing him some exploits, but the way he did it was to ask for a list of QoL bugs.

Honest answer: No.

DropBear wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:21am:
pwns.

I guess somebody's gotta lay it out every time it comes up. You should maybe keep that on a txt file for easy copy-pasting.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #48 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:57am
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 6:58pm:
And that. Isn't. All of them.

never said so...
It's just the list made by Vaulties, along with the Update Whatever known issue list.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #49 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Varg got caught out making a big deal about getting around to reading the bug reports on a burning issue (because he wasn't even aware there were any bug reports on the subject until he got rekt by many posters....) - the implication being that the devs don't normally read them.

Varg is a coder, he don't read bug reports... Those are read ( and reproduced )by Kookie, then Kookie send stuff to coders so that they can try to piss the codefix.

That's the theory... since I'm at home I can be a bitch about work.
Bugs sent to support at work usually gets sent to second line.
( because first line has no way to look into the code and/or try to reproduce the bug : we don't have code access and we are not supposed to have any test bed to try to reproduce )
Then it is left to rot for at least 2 weeks ( unless First Line contract responsible gets called twice a day by the customer ) before it gets sent to Design.
Then Design whine because Second line didn't reproduce it... so the bug rots 2 more weeks.
If the bug is straightforward, Design will then pull their fingers out of their ass and write a patch for it... If it is not straightforward, they are going to require traces and logs from
the live system... and will request it to Second Line, that will have to request it to First line... that will have to Coordonate with the customer to get them ( yeah another week or two lost [ at best ] a few months [ at worst ] )
If Design is really dumbfounded, they might even go as far as create a debug version of the code with added logs and tracing active and ask Second Line and First Line  to upload and activate it in the system ( you have no idea how much customers like to do that.... it take MONTHS just to get them to agree to install such debug software version )

Eventually after two months ( if you were lucky ) or longer ( years if unlucky ) the bug will be fixed... Though Design hopes that Customers will just drop the matter after 6 months to a year... so there's bugs that never gets fixed.

DropBear wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:21am:
[...wall of text]

DB : sometime it's quite difficult to reproduce a production environment and you have to make do with just a test environment as representative of production as you can get it.
( trust me, been there done that, still unable to reproduce a 1500 Router ISP network with 3 routers and no customers )

1) I agree, the fucking bug reporting tool should be fixed ASAP. Priority 1, Critical Bug... Fix ASAP.
2) Criteria for the official known issue list : Bugs that we have enough information to eventually fix one day are in the known issue list. All the other bugs are not in, please keep spamming bug reports with the ( bugged ) bug report tools for them.
3) They said numerous time that they will never release a full bug fix list....
     anyway, at work, even with all the bug tracking databases we manage to fuck up and forget about fixed bugs in the release notes... Our Customers love it when it happens...
4) See above.... year long bugs that finally got nailed.
5) I'll partially nail that one to the fucking mess called the DAT Files. it doesn't take much to fuck up and bring back old code to life because of the file structure.
    now with good versionning it shouldn't happen even with the pile of shit contained in the bloated DAT files.
6) No issue there... Sloppy Work is Sloppy Work... Sloppy Comments doersn't help fixing Sloppy Work.
7) As The Kobold That Jumped Ship Before Getting Fired said : some Features are great to boost Store sales, fixing them too faast would be bad for the business.
8) Some of the exploits we keep finding cannot just be fixed any other way... Because the weakness is inherent in distributed architecture of MMOs, UDP and TCP/IP. Gaming companies do not have enough money to create a whole new set of notwork protocol to plug all the TCP/IP and UDP weaknesses.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint