Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic SWF PDK Bard level split (Read 4948 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

SWF PDK Bard level split
Jan 4th, 2016 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Just gearing up for my next life and planning to do a warrior/bard starting on a PDK Iconic and doing single weapon fighting. I've seen a few different iterations of this build and I wanted to get some advice on the favored level split. I've seen anywhere fromn 2 to 6 fighter levels. I'm planning to focus primarily on melee though.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: SWF PDK Bard level split
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 4th, 2016 at 4:46pm:
Just gearing up for my next life and planning to do a warrior/bard starting on a PDK Iconic and doing single weapon fighting. I've seen a few different iterations of this build and I wanted to get some advice on the favored level split. I've seen anywhere fromn 2 to 6 fighter levels. I'm planning to focus primarily on melee though.

If you wish to primarily melee, I would recommend a 12 Bard/6 Fighter/2 Rogue split.

Tier 5 Swashbuckler and buff up Stalwart Defender and Vanguard secondary to make the most melee bard you can.  Splash Warchanter and Spellsinger as you see fit.

IP Logged

SmokeMonster
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 8:31am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 4th, 2016 at 4:46pm:

Does it have to be a multiclass build or can it be pure? If so check out the Count of Monte Cristo build. It is a pure bard swashbucking/CC build. I've played it before and it was one of my favorite plays to date.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 10:10am
Print Post  
This thread from Teh_Troll and 5 Foot Step really has all the info you need for a melee bard:
http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1425138442

IP Logged

FM
Dragon Raider

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2016 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
I've enjoyed a 16 Bard/3 Fighter/1 Rogue. Charisma based, tier 5 in the Warchanter tree, stance, heavy armor, short sword, buckler, swashbuckler, shield feats, traps. The game has probably swung in the other direction by now though, and evasion might be more desirable than heavy armor again. I have no idea. Just now trying to get back into the game after missing a few updates.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 10:21am
Print Post  
FM wrote on Jan 5th, 2016 at 11:19pm:
I've enjoyed a 16 Bard/3 Fighter/1 Rogue. Charisma based, tier 5 in the Warchanter tree, stance, heavy armor, short sword, buckler, swashbuckler, shield feats, traps. The game has probably swung in the other direction by now though, and evasion might be more desirable than heavy armor again. I have no idea. Just now trying to get back into the game after missing a few updates.

Evasion vs heavy armor is 50/50.  On my ranger, I can use both and respec feats on the fly before some LE content per quest or raid if I feel it is necessary.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 7:23am
Print Post  
I prefer the 15bard/3fighter/2rogue split  because it is the most flexible one imho. If you are sure you never want to use Inspire Heroics or Inspire Excellence and don't mind scrolling GH 12 level of bard are enough.

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Doggydaddy
Titan Demolisher

Pull my Finger......

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Just out of curiosity, what does the 2 rogue give you aside from an evasion you're probably not going to use and mediocre trap skills? Fighter for 3 I get, Stalwart Defensive Stance....

nvm.. forgot Swash doesn't work with medium or heavy armor.. damnit Sad
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2016 at 9:04am by Doggydaddy »  

IP Logged

Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Doggydaddy wrote on Jan 7th, 2016 at 9:03am:
Just out of curiosity, what does the 2 rogue give you aside from an evasion you're probably not going to use and mediocre trap skills? Fighter for 3 I get, Stalwart Defensive Stance....

nvm.. forgot Swash doesn't work with medium or heavy armor.. damnit Sad

Why would the traps be medicore? Bard gets a ton of skillpoints. With 14 starting INT and a +4 tome you can get Perform, UMD, Concentration, Search, Disable, Open maxed and there are still 10+ skillpoints left for spot or heal. And that is on a STR, CHA or DEX build - INT build can get more. And Evasion is OK on a DEX or INT build with insightful reflexes.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2016 at 9:27am by string table error, tableDID »  

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 10:17am
Print Post  
string table error, tableDID wrote on Jan 7th, 2016 at 9:23am:
spot

This skill is actually being used and invested into?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Doggydaddy wrote on Jan 7th, 2016 at 9:03am:
Fighter for 3 I get, Stalwart Defensive Stance....

nvm.. forgot Swash doesn't work with medium or heavy armor.. damnit

15/3/2 gets evasion, traps, and stance.

not hard to reach 60 reflex with a middle 30's dex score. 

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Doggydaddy
Titan Demolisher

Pull my Finger......

Reply #11 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
string table error, tableDID wrote on Jan 7th, 2016 at 9:23am:
Why would the traps be medicore? Bard gets a ton of skillpoints. With 14 starting INT and a +4 tome you can get Perform, UMD, Concentration, Search, Disable, Open maxed and there are still 10+ skillpoints left for spot or heal. And that is on a STR, CHA or DEX build - INT build can get more. And Evasion is OK on a DEX or INT build with insightful reflexes.

Are you taking the Rogue levels first? I guess it doesn't really matter when you take the Bard levels....

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2016 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Galadriel wrote on Jan 7th, 2016 at 10:17am:

Prolly not on a min/maxxer toon. Personally, I find it improves my overall enjoyment of the game when mobs show up before hitting my toon as opposed to after.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jan 7th, 2016 at 7:41pm:
Prolly not on a min/maxxer toon. Personally, I find it improves my overall enjoyment of the game when mobs show up before hitting my toon as opposed to after.

I feel there is too few places this happens at epic levels for it to matter but can't really argue with personal preference Smiley

IP Logged

Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #14 - Jan 8th, 2016 at 3:36am
Print Post  
Doggydaddy wrote on Jan 7th, 2016 at 4:27pm:
Are you taking the Rogue levels first? I guess it doesn't really matter when you take the Bard levels....

Youe get the most skillpoints out of your rogue levels when you take one at level one and one at level 15 after your +4 INT tome kicked in. If you take rogue or bard as first level on a human build you get a ton of skillpoints but you don't have BAB 1 and that limits the feats you can take at level one. SWF is a no-brainer for level one but the bonus feat can only be insightful reflexes, toughness, magical training (but you can get that one from spellinger too) or SAP (along with some useless other feats) I always take SAP because I solo a lot and SAP + Cup de Grace is a 0 SP instant kill that works every time. Simply love it.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2016 at 3:37am by string table error, tableDID »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #15 - Jan 9th, 2016 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Galadriel wrote on Jan 7th, 2016 at 10:17am:

I take max spot on all my ranged characters. The higher your spot, the farther away you detect the mobs.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint