Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Best Bow build? (Read 14411 times)
[]
Madame President

Re: Best Bow build?
Reply #25 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 24th, 2016 at 5:33pm:
Bows are pointless without 10k stars.

Obviously hasn't played a bow user since the manyshot/10k stars nerf:

1) they both suck

2) manyshot sucks much less than 10k

IP Logged

LagMonsterrrrrr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
crymorepls princess

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #27 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 12:30am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 24th, 2016 at 5:33pm:
Bows are pointless without 10k stars. Pure ranger isn't even up for consideration.

While 10ks is definitely good, I'm not sure it's that much better than the core 5s and a capstone.

With 6 monk levels and 50 Wis, 10ks gives 19 ranged power and 30% doubleshot every 30s out of 60s. 

Assuming you use Manyshot every 120s, you get three 10ks every 120s if you use it every time it's off timer.  That averages out to what?  +10 or +11 ranged power and 15-18% doubleshot?

DWS core 5 gives passive 10% fort bypass.  AA core 5 gives passive 5% doubleshot.  That closes the gap to 10ish ranged power and 10-13% doubleshot.

AA capstone gives for +4 Dex and 20% doubleshot.  It gives up 10 ranged power vs 10ks but is 7-10% doubleshot ahead so should be comparable.

Better yet, go with the DWS capstone which gives 4 Dex, 3 SA die, perma PBS+SA range, 20 spell power and 20 ranged power.  This puts a pure ranger +10 ahead on ranged power.  I suspect that the other bonuses from the capstone are pretty comparable to 10-13% doubleshot overall.

A pure ranger may be less bursty, but in the long run should be fairly comparable to a 14/6 or 12/6/2 with 6 monk and 10ks.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2016 at 12:32am by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #28 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 4:29am
Print Post  

Bollocks. Pure ranger is very viable. I don't need fucking forum math to see what good people with 20 ranger do to mobs, bosses or Shroud portals in game.

IP Logged

Dr Faustus
Korthos Resident

Reply #29 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 12:30am:
While 10ks is definitely good, I'm not sure it's that much better than the core 5s and a capstone.

With 6 monk levels and 50 Wis, 10ks gives 19 ranged power and 30% doubleshot every 30s out of 60s. 

AA capstone gives for +4 Dex and 20% doubleshot.  It gives up 10 ranged power vs 10ks but is 7-10% doubleshot ahead so should be comparable.

Wrong. 10k stars gives 5% doubleshot per monk level, and your wisdom score to ranged power. 50 wis = 50 ranged power not 19.

Also, AA capstone can be taken by spending an additional 14 AP in helf tree (really this is 11-13 more because you would have already spent 1-3 for dex and damage boost), while also getting 10k stars. Bottomline, monk levels do more for you than ranger levels once you get past level 6 in ranger.

IMO, bow isn't viable alone. You need to couple it with shuriken to get comparable dps to other top builds. I spreadsheeted a few different builds and without shuriken use, dps drops by over 40% for intervals longer than 20 seconds. Not to mention, that adrenaline recharge is significantly and intangible better with shurikens than with bow/arrow.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #30 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 12:30am:

Assuming you use Manyshot every 120s, you get three 10ks every 120s if you use it every time it's off timer.  That averages out to what?  +10 or +11 ranged power and 15-18% doubleshot?

DWS core 5 gives passive 10% fort bypass.  AA core 5 gives passive 5% doubleshot.  That closes the gap to 10ish ranged power and 10-13% doubleshot.

Better yet, go with the DWS capstone which gives 4 Dex, 3 SA die, perma PBS+SA range, 20 spell power and 20 ranged power.  This puts a pure ranger +10 ahead on ranged power.  I suspect that the other bonuses from the capstone are pretty comparable to 10-13% doubleshot overall.

A pure ranger may be less bursty, but in the long run should be fairly comparable to a 14/6 or 12/6/2 with 6 monk and 10ks.

Your "math" is wrong,...but yeah I guess "pointless" was a little too strong. How about demonstrably not optimal?

Wipe wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 4:29am:
Bollocks. Pure ranger is very viable. I don't need fucking forum math to see what good people with 20 ranger do to mobs, bosses or Shroud portals in game.

True, I didn't mean that that pure ranger is not viable. TWF w/ khopesh is top tier melee. TWF w/ scimitars and manyshot w/ bow every 2 mins is the optimal hybrid.

We were talking about fulltime bow users though, and fulltime bow users are strictly better with 10k stars than without.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #31 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Dr Faustus wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 8:02am:
Wrong. 10k stars gives 5% doubleshot per monk level, and your wisdom score to ranged power. 50 wis = 50 ranged power not 19.

Oops.  I misread the 10ks description and thought it was your Wis score bonus.  10ks will be better than I thought.  Thanks for correcting me. 

5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 10:14am:
Your "math" is wrong,...but yeah I guess "pointless" was a little too strong. How about demonstrably not optimal?
We were talking about fulltime bow users though, and fulltime bow users are strictly better with 10k stars than without.

Using the correct bonuses for 10k Stars w/ 6 monk @ 50 wisdom gives 30 doublestrike and 50 ranged power for 60s out of every 120s assuming you also use Manyshot every time it is off timer.

That means 10k Stars averages out over time to 15% doublestrike and 25 ranged power assuming you have enough Ki to use it every time it is off timer.  That 25 ranged power balances/cancels out the extra 25 ranged power you could get from DWS T5 and capstone.

The 2 extra Imbue Die from AA will essentially balance out against the 2 extra SA die from DWS.

Here's the breakdown after eliminating all the shared/duplicate benefits:

14/6 Half-Elf Ranger/Monk with Elf AA Capstone & T5s + T4 DWS:
  • 10k Stars - 15% doublestrike
  • Arrow of Slaying
  • Final Strike AE

20 Human Ranger with DWS Capstone & T5s + T4 AA:
  • 5 spell power
  • 10% Fort Bypass
  • Aimed Shot (faster AF stacking)
  • Leg Shot (Tendon Slice)
  • Merciful Shot
  • Head Shot
  • Infinite SA range
  • 30 extra ranged power while stationary (+10 stacks of AF)

On boss fights/burns, the 15% doubleshot advantage of 10k Stars is largely mitigated by the additional 30 ranged power from Improved Archer's Focus assuming you are stationary.

I have no personal experience with how good or bad Final Strike is but I don't believe it scales with ranged or spell power so I can't see it being amazing.

Arrow of Slaying is definitely sweet but I don't see 10k Stars + Arrow of Slaying + Final Strike being significantly better than all the additional things DWS gives you instead.

One build may be better than the other, but I think they'll end up being pretty close in actual game play.  I expect the AA half-elf would be more bursty and the pure DWS ranger would be more consistent.

Dr Faustus wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 8:02am:
IMO, bow isn't viable alone. You need to couple it with shuriken to get comparable dps to other top builds. I spreadsheeted a few different builds and without shuriken use, dps drops by over 40% for intervals longer than 20 seconds. Not to mention, that adrenaline recharge is significantly and intangible better with shurikens than with bow/arrow.

I 100% agree with this but like FFS said, I think the OP was interested in full-time bow use.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2016 at 2:10pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #32 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 1:56pm:
One build may be better than the other, but I think they'd end up being pretty close in effectiveness in actual game play.

I agree, 14/6 is probably pretty close to pure.

There's no reason to take ranger to 14 levels though. Not when T5 Kensei is on the table.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1459182420/17#17

Quote:
Mongerer v2.0

12 Fighter/6 Monk/2 Ranger
Lawful Neutral
Half Elf

Stats:
18 dex (+ levels)
12 con
18 wis

RRFFFF FFFFFF MMMMMM FF

Feats:
1 Point Blank Shot
1 Rogue Dilletante
2 (Rapid Shot)
3 Completionist
3F Precise Shot
4F Weapon Focus Ranged
6 Weapon Spec Ranged
6F Manyshot
8F Improved Critical
9 Dodge
10F Greater Weapon Focus Ranged
12 Improved Precise Shot
12F Zen Archery
13M Precision
14M Deflect Arrows
15 Mobility
18 Master of Forms
18M 10k stars
20F Shot on the Run
21 Overwhelming Crit
24 Combat Archery
26 Epic Spellpower
27 Greater Weapon Spec Ranged
28 Double Shot
29 Elusive Target
30 Quick Draw
30 Scion of Astral

Enhancements:
33 points in Kensei for Power Surge & T5 stuff
22 in Elf AA for morphic elemental arrows
15 in HElf for AA
6 in DWS for Imp Weapon Finesse
4 in Tempest for Improved Defense

Epic Destiny: Legendary Dreadnought w/ pulverizer 17-20x4

Shiradi Echoes
Grim Precision
Rejuvenation Cocoon
Dance of Flowers
Enlightenment

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #33 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 2:09pm:
I agree, 14/6 is probably pretty close to pure.

There's no reason to take ranger to 14 levels though. Not when T5 Kensei is on the table.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1459182420/17#17

You know... given how strong the Kensai lvl 18 core and capstone are, I'd almost think that a pure fighter using Half-Elf for AA access might be a candidate for the best full-time bow user build.

Kensai lvl 18 core + capstone +T5s would give 40 ranged power, 2 Dex, 15% doubleshot, 4 extra ABs.

Holds its own versus DWS capstone + T5 benefits of 4 Dex, 3 SA die, 20 ranged power and 20% doubleshot.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #34 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 2:32pm:
You know... given how strong the Kensai lvl 18 core and capstone are, I'd almost think that a pure fighter using Half-Elf for AA access might be a candidate for the best full-time bow user build.

Kensai lvl 18 core + capstone +T5s would give 40 ranged power, 2 Dex, 15% doubleshot, 4 extra ABs.

Holds its own versus DWS capstone + T5 benefits of 4 Dex, 3 SA die, 20 ranged power and 20% doubleshot.

A problem with pure fighter is that you can't get the synergy of dex to damage. It isn't available at all to HElf, and would cost 81 AP as a full Elf (41 minimum in Kensei, 22 minimum in AA, 18 minimum in Elf).

So you have to waste a feat on Bow Strength (losing 2 ranged power) just to add the inferior stat to damage. (Technically you could go Ranger Dilletante, but that caps at +8 and is even less worth it in opportunity cost)
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2016 at 2:59pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #35 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Could go Int to hit/dmg via Harper.  Not sure if there are enough APs to spare for that or not, but if so, it would have nice synergy with KTA.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #36 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 5:20pm:
Could go Int to hit/dmg via Harper.  Not sure if there are enough APs to spare for that or not, but if so, it would have nice synergy with KTA.

41 in Kensei, 14 in Elf, 12 in Harper, only 13 points left for AA. That's hardly enough, and still MAD since you still need build points in dex to hit 21.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 1:56pm:
Oops.  I misread the 10ks description and thought it was your Wis score bonus.  10ks will be better than I thought.  Thanks for correcting me. 

Using the correct bonuses for 10k Stars w/ 6 monk @ 50 wisdom gives 30 doublestrike and 50 ranged power for 60s out of every 120s assuming you also use Manyshot every time it is off timer.

That means 10k Stars averages out over time to 15% doublestrike and 25 ranged power assuming you have enough Ki to use it every time it is off timer.  That 25 ranged power balances/cancels out the extra 25 ranged power you could get from DWS T5 and capstone.

The 2 extra Imbue Die from AA will essentially balance out against the 2 extra SA die from DWS.

Here's the breakdown after eliminating all the shared/duplicate benefits:

14/6 Half-Elf Ranger/Monk with Elf AA Capstone & T5s + T4 DWS:
  • 10k Stars - 15% doublestrike
  • Arrow of Slaying
  • Final Strike AE

20 Human Ranger with DWS Capstone & T5s + T4 AA:
  • 5 spell power
  • 10% Fort Bypass
  • Aimed Shot (faster AF stacking)
  • Leg Shot (Tendon Slice)
  • Merciful Shot
  • Head Shot
  • Infinite SA range
  • 30 extra ranged power while stationary (+10 stacks of AF)

On boss fights/burns, the 15% doubleshot advantage of 10k Stars is largely mitigated by the additional 30 ranged power from Improved Archer's Focus assuming you are stationary.

I have no personal experience with how good or bad Final Strike is but I don't believe it scales with ranged or spell power so I can't see it being amazing.

Arrow of Slaying is definitely sweet but I don't see 10k Stars + Arrow of Slaying + Final Strike being significantly better than all the additional things DWS gives you instead.

One build may be better than the other, but I think they'll end up being pretty close in actual game play.  I expect the AA half-elf would be more bursty and the pure DWS ranger would be more consistent.

I 100% agree with this but like FFS said, I think the OP was interested in full-time bow use.

But you are not counting the increased attack speed from shuriken and chance to throw an extra shuriken from shuriken expertise. With 70 dex that means roughly 70% chance to throw and extra shuriken and it can also doubleshot what means you can get 4 shurikens with one animation if your doubleshot is between 0 and 100%, or 6 if your doubleshot is from 100 to 200. And the 4 can be boosted by a single adrenaline + slayer arrow (slayer arrow works with shuriken).

Also, having both 10k stars and manyshot is more sinergetic with adrenaline uses for obvious reasons.

And you are wrong about boss fights, becuase your manyshot is over after 20 seconds, but the epic moment is 30 seconds, so you will suck the last 10 seconds with a bow while the monk splash will change to shuriken... and when these 10 seconds are over his 10k stars will be ready to click while the pure who has only manyshot will keep sucking.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2016 at 5:42pm by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #38 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 10:24am:
But you are not counting the increased attack speed from shuriken and chance to throw an extra shuriken from shuriken expertise. With 70 dex that means roughly 70% chance to throw and extra shuriken and it can also doubleshot what means you can get 4 shurikens with one animation if your doubleshot is between 100 and 200%. And the 4 can be boosted by a single adrenaline + slayer arrow (slayer arrow works with shuriken).

Also, having both 10k stars and manyshot is more sinergetic with adrenaline uses for obvious reasons.

And you are wrong about boss fights, becuase your manyshot is over after 20 seconds, but the epic moment is 30 seconds, so you will suck the last 10 seconds with a bow while the monk splash will change to shuriken... and when these 10 seconds are over his 10k stars will be ready to click while the pure who has only manyshot will keep sucking.

He wasn't comparing to Shuriken.

Besides, currently both Bow builds and shuriken builds should really be using Kensei. Kensei only applies to one or the other though, so it should be a loss to hotswap.

Also, Fury was only marginally better than LD over realistic time frames back when manyshot was 4 arrows.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #39 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 11:10am:
Also, Fury was only marginally better than LD over realistic time frames back when manyshot was 4 arrows.

*doesn't know how to Furyshot*

There was actually skill to it faggot, and you could do over 1 million damage in 30 seconds with that shit; not that you'd ever know on a monkcher LOL!

Those were the days.

IP Logged

Tilo
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I like the pure ranger DWS/AA with a repeater when manyshot is on cooldown.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2016 at 3:51pm by »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #41 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
[] wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 12:14pm:
1 million damage in 30 seconds

Sounds gimp since you're pushing an unrealistic timeframe.

If you're going to ignore prep time and cooldowns, you might as well double down the derp and go by single seconds. I had ~34,000 point normal adrenaline slaying arrows when shadowfail came out. On a 19 or 20 those could go up to ~57k with a x5 crit. One time I went into the mansion and grabbed the quad damage buff and fury shotted Dr. Rushmore in the face and rolled all four 19-20. 57k times four times four = over 900,000 DPS build.

[] wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 12:14pm:
1 million damage in 30 seconds

3.65% of my DPS. Amateur.  Grin

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #42 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 4:31pm:
If you're going to ignore prep time and cooldowns, you might as well double down the derp and go by single seconds.

That was always my message to Jakeelala BTW. I don't GAF how fast you take down a dojo kobold. Unbridled Fury has a 5 minute cooldown, so you need to average that shit out.

Edited:
Well,...one of my messages.
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2016 at 4:52pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 11:10am:
Besides, currently both Bow builds and shuriken builds should really be using Kensei. Kensei only applies to one or the other though, so it should be a loss to hotswap.

Nonsense. You can't say that because you can't calculate the DPS in fury. And it doesn't matter because sustained DPS doesn't matter, burst DPS is everything and of course fury wins that.

I don't get why would someone do an archer that is not in Fury. If it is sustained DPS what you want, than do a fucking mlee dam it.

Repeat with me: archers = furyshot harry and furyshot crystal
archers = furyshot harry and furyshot crystal

got it?

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 4:40pm:
That was always my message to Jakeelala BTW. I don't GAF how fast you take down a dojo kobold. Unbridled Fury has a 5 minute cooldown, so you need to average that shit out.

Edited:
Well,...one of my messages.

You have a lot of adrenalines to use while fury is on cooldown.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #45 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
What about 14 monk 6 ranger? I've heard that's a viable monkcher split.

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #46 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 5:47pm:
Nonsense. You can't say that because you can't calculate the DPS in fury. And it doesn't matter because sustained DPS doesn't matter, burst DPS is everything and of course fury wins that.

I don't get why would someone do an archer that is not in Fury. If it is sustained DPS what you want, than do a fucking mlee dam it.

Repeat with me: archers = furyshot harry and furyshot crystal

got it?

I agree. Furyshot and raids go like PB & jelly Cheesy

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #47 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 1:35am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 4:40pm:
Unbridled Fury has a 5 minute cooldown, so you need to average that shit out.

You already proved you don't understand averages.  Also, no, no you don't faggot; there's absolutely NO need to average ANYTHING when NOTHING can survive your 30 second burst.  Please think before you type, and please, think of the children.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #48 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 5:47pm:
And it doesn't matter because sustained DPS doesn't matter, burst DPS is everything and of course fury wins that.

Correctest.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #49 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 5:49pm:
You have a lot of adrenalines to use while fury is on cooldown.

That's "Baby Furyshot": manyshot+adren+slayer first arrow, then pump adrenalines during manyshot while unbridaled fury is on cool down.  I swear, 99% of faggots yapping have no idea how to play this fucking game.  It's not hard to do about 400k damage in 30 seconds with this tactic.  Furyshot is better, and Super Furyshot is the exquisiteness.
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2016 at 1:40am by [] »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint