Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stupid Bard Questions (Read 3644 times)
QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Stupid Bard Questions
Aug 26th, 2016 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Sometime in the next week I plan to iTR one of my characters into a PDK swashbuckler bard.  But, the last time I played a Bard was shortly before Menace of the Underdark went live.  So, I have a bunch of stupid questions that I could use some help with.

First, I see that Bards have access to Spellcraft as a class skill.  But, I can’t see any reason to actually invest in it.  Last I checked, Sonic spell power is covered with Perform and Positive is covered by Heal.  I see that a lot of the Swashbuckler builds go into Legendary Dreadnought during epic levels, so I can’t see anything in epic levels to justify it either.  Is there something I’m missing?

Second, is Celestia’s DR breaking broken by the Swashbuckler capstone, or by the very first Swashbuckler core?

Third, I see a lot of suggestions for putting Empower Healing on a Swashbuckler over Quicken.  What am I missing there?  Are those builds solely depending on Rejuvenating Cocoon for healing?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: Stupid Bard Questions
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 3:12am
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Aug 26th, 2016 at 2:17am:
Are those builds solely depending on Rejuvenating Cocoon for healing?

No. Cure spells hit for more with empower heal, as do cocoon ticks. Max would be better for the cure seplls but will not work on cocoon.

Second, is Celestia’s DR breaking broken by the Swashbuckler capstone, or by the very first Swashbuckler core?

dont know, but assume always that celestia will break. 87% certainty for anything to randomly break that sword. low estimate.

First, I see that Bards have access to Spellcraft as a class skill.

Perform. All your swash imbues are sonic spell power based. Not sure if scion feywild or arborea is the better dps feat. What spellpower for feywild is needed to beat the 20% melee power from arborea.      

If youre going pdk I would suggest warchanter for freezing attacks.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Yes, Bards are stupid; what's your question?

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Depending on the number of bard levels, cocoon definitely is the primary healing spell for many swashbucklers. I would not take maximize unless planning to pick up spellsinger SLAs. Ideally grab emp.healing AND quicken.

Swashbucklers don't need Spellcraft.

IIRC early cores break Celestia.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2016 at 9:13am by crunch »  

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 9:51am
Print Post  
If you go at least 6 Fighter you get access to a crit multiplier for hand axes and picks while swashbuckling (swashbukling only increases range on these).  If you plan on investing heavy in fighter levels instead of a freeze bard, 12Bard 6F 2Rogue w/handaxe in LD or light picks in DC is tough to beat.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 11:13am
Print Post  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the help so far guys.  Do the sonic procs from Swashbuckler Spell crit like the Scion feats?

Also, I guess I should mention that this character was a light blades kensai.  So, wouldn’t I be better off wielding Balizarde, over a Level 24 Thunder-forged handaxe, in epic levels?
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2016 at 9:27pm by QuantumFX »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Scion feats can crit their imbue? That's news to me

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 10:25am
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 8:36pm:
Thanks for the help so far guys.  Do the sonic procs from Swashbuckler Spell crit like the Scion feats?

Resonant Arms does not. Scions do not AFAIK, but I haven't tried all of them. Which one were you using?

QuantumFX wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 8:36pm:
Also, I guess I should mention that this character was a light blades kensai.  So, wouldn’t I be better off wielding Balizarde, over a Level 24 Thunder-forged handaxe, in epic levels?

You can get slightly more crit damage on balizarde in t5 Kensei, but in doing so you'd either give up 20 AP of Swash or shield enhancements and have significantly lower [W] and proc damage. (Bali would be +8 2.5[d8] 3d8 bleed 14-20x4, handaxe would be +10 4[d6] 10d6 fire or 8d6 neg 15-20x4 +2 from headsman's)

Simply not enough AP to sink 30+ in kensei and still get all the swash, vanguard, defender, WC stuff you want. Without 30+ in Kensei, handaxe is strictly better.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Disregard the scion critting.  I tested it on a character and it wasn't doing it.  But, for anyone curious, I had found it on a tread about spell crits back in January.  A guy was messing around with Fire Scion and found that it was hitting for higher than 40 * Spell Power *1.5 for a helpless dummy.  It could have been an early lammaland thing.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 30th, 2016 at 10:25am:
You can get slightly more crit damage on balizarde in t5 Kensei, but in doing so you'd either give up 20 AP of Swash or shield enhancements and have significantly lower [W] and proc damage. (Bali would be +8 2.5[d8] 3d8 bleed 14-20x4, handaxe would be +10 4[d6] 10d6 fire or 8d6 neg 15-20x4 +2 from headsman's)

Simply not enough AP to sink 30+ in kensei and still get all the swash, vanguard, defender, WC stuff you want. Without 30+ in Kensei, handaxe is strictly better.

Well, poop.  I'm thinking of going Shadar Kai instead of PDK.  (I want to save my 2 mandatory PDK incarnations for Monk and Druid.)  Since I don't have completionist on this character, it ought to work out to about the same.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Aug 30th, 2016 at 2:28pm:
I'm thinking of going Shadar Kai instead of PDK.

Should work great. Just no racial action boost.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Tilo
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2016 at 2:59pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint