Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic About-fucking-time. (Read 4256 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

About-fucking-time.
Sep 1st, 2016 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Double Bonus Points sale alongside Otto's Boxes. Why did it take turbine so long to put two and two together?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Re: About-fucking-time.
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 10:30pm:
Double Bonus Points sale alongside Otto's Boxes. Why did it take turbine so long to put two and two together?

Maybe because they make more money if people buy points not at sale prices when Otto's boxes are available?

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 11:33pm:
Maybe because they make more money if people buy points not at sale prices when Otto's boxes are available?

This is a failure of sales. They actually believe that what they sell has an intrinsic value. It doesn't.

If they moved the decimal point one space to the left on everything in the store, as well as turbine points, they would have a lot more money.

People don't sit back and say, "I am going to buy X amount of stuff for entertainment this month". What they say is "I have X amount of dollars to spend on entertainment stuff this month."

People look at what they are going to get for their money. When they see the turbine prices they think to themselves, "gee I could get a whole fucking game for the price of a few hours of entertainment from turbine."

If they priced different people would be thinking that they could get more entertainment value out of their money from turbine.

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2016 at 1:20am by Who Cares »  

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

nowAvaultie
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Who Cares wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 1:20am:
This is a failure of sales. They actually believe that what they sell has an intrinsic value. It doesn't.

If they moved the decimal point one space to the left on everything in the store, as well as turbine points, they would have a lot more money.

People don't sit back and say, "I am going to buy X amount of stuff for entertainment this month". What they say is "I have X amount of dollars to spend on entertainment stuff this month."

People look at what they are going to get for their money. When they see the turbine prices they think to themselves, "gee I could get a whole fucking game for the price of a few hours of entertainment from turbine."

If they priced different people would be thinking that they could get more entertainment value out of their money from turbine.

This. If I could get more with my Turbine Points, I'd be more likely to buy them more often and not always when they're on sale.

OldCoaly wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 11:27am:
If one of those types of weapons isn't "wraps", then it's a non-starter for Fran.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 9:13am
Print Post  

^This

I bought 1 gargantuan bag and discovered it was BTC and never bought another. I looked at Shadowfail and said meh, I'll play something else for half a year, and when it dropped to 80% off I bought it for all 5 of my family members. Sales cost them nothing, and providing a good value has many benefits including goodwill, more time playing, and positive social media coverage.

With the game as laggy and buggy as it is it may be too late for trying to be a better value to save them, but squeezing the whales harder certainly isn't going to.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 1:41pm
Print Post  

And you know this is a fact due to your incredible insiders knowledge of their sales trends and revenue figures.  Right.

Keep dreaming about how people actually plan around small dollar amount purchases.  If people actually did that then it wouldn't matter if the double points sales and the Otto's boxes were up at the same time, would it?  Because people would do all that planning you think they do and buy the points when they are on sale and then buy the Otto's boxes when they were available, and the OP wouldn't make any sense at all because planning would make the synchronizing of double bonus points and anything else they sell irrelevant.

People plan for a vacation, or a car, or an education, or other high dollar things.  Very few people do much planning over something that's a low dollar cost, unless they are on a very tight budget.  And if ~$100 is a stretch for someone then buying TP is probably not going to happen over food or rent or other necessities.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 1:41pm:
And you know this is a fact due to your incredible insiders knowledge of their sales trends and revenue figures.  Right.

Well, he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 2:17pm
Print Post  

Keep dreaming about how people actually plan around small dollar amount purchases.  If people actually did that then it wouldn't matter if the double points sales and the Otto's boxes were up at the same time, would it?  Because people would do all that planning you think they do and buy the points when they are on sale and then buy the Otto's boxes when they were available, and the OP wouldn't make any sense at all because planning would make the synchronizing of double bonus points and anything else they sell irrelevant.

People plan for a vacation, or a car, or an education, or other high dollar things.  Very few people do much planning over something that's a low dollar cost, unless they are on a very tight budget.  And if ~$100 is a stretch for someone then buying TP is probably not going to happen over food or rent or other necessities.

Although I agree with much of what you say here, I think he's right about lining up points and boxes increasing sales. The problem isn't so much planning as opportunism. People will "snap up a good deal", which is why advertisements make use of "for a limited time" or "plus, if you act now" so much. For a buggy game, TP even on sale are at best a moderate deal, and boxes are a moderate deal, but if they are both on sale at once you have a better chance of having someone make an impulsive purchase.

Which is what you are arguing, really. Many people *aren't* planning TP purchases or box purchases, and neither alone is a good enough deal to trigger the good deal bargain reflex. The two together make a much better bargain and would get more people to buy them. Everyone's threshold is different, of course, but aligning the sales would bring the price below more thresholds and trigger more sales.

And factor in impulse and delayed reward - a gamer has $20 and can spend it on DDO or another game. If he spends it on the other game, he can use it immediately. If he considers spending it on TP on sale, if the sales don't line up then he'd have to wait for the box, and the immediate use in the other game looks better. If the Box is on sale but not the points, he knows he could get a better deal by waiting until points come on sale and buying them then, so he waits. But by the time the points are on sale again the boxes aren't, and the immediate purchase in the other game looks better. So the box never gets purchased.

No one model of purchase decision making covers all DDO players, but clearly aligning the sales would increase the number of boxes sold.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Very few people do much planning over something that's a low dollar cost, unless they are on a very tight budget.  And if ~$100 is a stretch for someone then buying TP is probably not going to happen over food or rent or other necessities.

It seems like you understand micro-transactions, and yet at the same time, completely miss the point. Next time you're in a strip club, go ahead and ask why they're always happy to change your twenties into singles.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Sep 2nd, 2016 at 2:23pm:
It seems like you understand micro-transactions, and yet at the same time, completely miss the point. Next time you're in a strip club, go ahead and ask why they're always happy to change your twenties into singles.

I think you missed maj's posts long ago about ddo being funded from a small group of whales.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 10:37am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Sep 3rd, 2016 at 10:31am:
I think you missed maj's posts long ago about ddo being funded from a small group of whales.

I know someone who gave them 15grand, no shitting you. Some people have got more money than time.

The guy is a beast and works like one. Some shit with NASA or something...
... cool guy...

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Otto's boxes have stayed at the same price point for years.  I don't see their sales numbers, but I would guess that if they weren't selling at that price, the seller would change the price.

Is there a more efficient price point?  Possibly.  I have no data, so I can't say. 

I would guess, however, that an even better alternative would be if they released mini-boxes with 1 million XP stones at half the price, they would tap into a market that is currently not being served.   Possibly even going into lower increments like 500k and 250k. 

For when you just want to skip a level or catch up with a guildie/friend because you missed a few gaming sessions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Sep 3rd, 2016 at 10:31am:

... because Turbine doesn't price for microtransactions. Now, if only there were a way to offer microtransactions, and still have big ticket items for the whales to buy....

Asheras wrote on Sep 3rd, 2016 at 11:00am:
I would guess, however, that an even better alternative [...]

Just toss that shit in the Good Idea bin. Someone at Turbine will bring it out to the curb for trash day. Like always.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
buying TP is probably not going to happen over food or rent or other necessities

Phrasing.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2016 at 5:17pm
Print Post  

This is most likely wrong. A person who buys a pizza for $4 is way more then twice as valuable to a company as a person who buys a pizza for $2, all else equal.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #15 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:15am
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Sep 6th, 2016 at 5:17pm:
This is most likely wrong. A person who buys a pizza for $4 is way more then twice as valuable to a company as a person who buys a pizza for $2, all else equal.

But that's not the question, we don't have an equal number of customers and there is negligible cost associatd with a sale. If you want to use a piza shop analogy, what we have is more like a shop that sells slices for $50 across the street from one that sells them for $5, if they lowered the price they would get more sales, possibly resulting in an overall gain.

But maybe a movie theater would be a better analogy - there are a bunch downtown, maybe the one with the really high ticket price should drop it a bit so they could attract more viewers and sell more popcorn and soda.

The whole factor of ten number is just pulled out of his ass, but considering the stuff Turbine just pulls out of their ass (people complain there aren't enough Feather Fall clickies) that hardly seems to matter, one ass is as good as another for producing random gusses.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint