Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help me understand how this works (Read 5347 times)
spyder
Korthos Resident

I Hate People!

Help me understand how this works
Nov 8th, 2016 at 9:13am
Print Post  
So as i slowly knock out all the classes i trd into a purple dragon knight wolf build. 4 ftr, 6 ranger, 10 druid.  From what i gather the basic premise of the build is it takes advantage of the single weapon fighting attack speed stacking with wolf form attack speed for ridiculously high attack speeded. 

What I'm having confusion on is how the weapons work.  The main hand weapon effects work just fine, but the offhand has me confused.  I'm uding an orb so swf works. I got the elite madstone one for the purple slot and put in a meteor to pair with the negative level on slotted in my main hand,  but i have yet to see a single proc of the meteor after running about 6 quests. 

Currently only have 5 levels of ranger so improved 2wf hasn't kicked in yet for more offhand attack procs.  I'm thinking is 1 of 3 things
1:I've been unlucky and eventually the random chance gods will favor me and I'll see the meteor star start proccing.
2:turbine changed things and i will never see ruby attack procs so need to switch it out for devotion ruby
3:what i read was wrong and the ruby slotted in the off hand orb never procced.

Can i get some input and clarification of how the augments slotted in the orb work in wolf form?

While at it,  what about main hand metal types for dr purposes? For example:  If i equip a silver rapier with holy burst on it will it get through harrys dr?

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©

Re: Help me understand how this works
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 9:16am
Print Post  
http://ddowiki.com/page/Wild_Shape

to be specific to your post:

The main hand will transfer any treasure effects to your natural attacks, e.g. the Flaming effect. The off-hand/shield will not transfer such effects [1]
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2016 at 9:21am by eighnuss »  

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

spyder
Korthos Resident

I Hate People!

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 9:16am:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Wild_Shape

to be specific to your post:

The main hand will transfer any treasure effects to your natural attacks, e.g. the Flaming effect. The off-hand/shield will not transfer such effects [1]

Is the augment slot specifically that I'm confused about.  The way i am reading that wiki article is nothing from the orb will apply but i was specifically directed towards the heroic epic madstone skull specifically for the purple slotfor ruby eye of xxx effect procs. If it was one person id just chalk it up to bad advice by an idiot,  but it was multiple players more knowledgeable than me so it makes me think i screwed something up or totally misunderstood them.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
spyder wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 12:12pm:
Is the augment slot specifically that I'm confused about.  The way i am reading that wiki article is nothing from the orb will apply but i was specifically directed towards the heroic epic madstone skull specifically for the purple slotfor ruby eye of xxx effect procs. If it was one person id just chalk it up to bad advice by an idiot,  but it was multiple players more knowledgeable than me so it makes me think i screwed something up or totally misunderstood them. 

You don't ever swing an orb, so the DPS augments such as ruby eyes or endless night augments are useless in them.  The red slot is for parking a spell power augment, the blue for something defensive.

As a wolf form build you should be using a buckler, another weapon (w/o swf) or nothing.  If you have to use the orb for some reason park a blue augment in it and call it a day, you don't need spell power much.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

spyder
Korthos Resident

I Hate People!

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 2:02pm:
You don't ever swing an orb, so the DPS augments such as ruby eyes or endless night augments are useless in them.  The red slot is for parking a spell power augment, the blue for something defensive.

As a wolf form build you should be using a buckler, another weapon (w/o swf) or nothing.  If you have to use the orb for some reason park a blue augment in it and call it a day, you don't need spell power much.

Thanks for the clarification.  Guess i was told wrong by multiple folks(I'll be sure to tell my friends they are morons).  I will slot a devotion ruby in there to help with vigor and later coccoon.  Gonna stick with an orb cause a buckler would void the attack speed advantage of swf.

IP Logged

Farmer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Dharma!

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 3:28pm
Print Post  

Orbs work with shield bash and the augments proc  Wink

although i never tried them in doggy style

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Farmer wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 3:28pm:
although i never tried them in doggy style

And that's the key point here, right?  I've got an endless night augment in a PDK shield and it drained levels fairly frequently, but then I wasn't using it in an animal form.

I could be wrong, but I didn't think you could get off-hand augments to proc in wolf/bear/tree forms.  But then the standard rule of thumb for those forms is that weapons don't apply except in the cases where they do.

This needs a fix just as much as handwraps ever did.  The amount of 'gotchas' and non-intuitive mechanics a player encounters is legion.

Handwraps still aren't applying any metal types, btw.  I have screen shots of a few with 'cold iron studded' and such, none of those metal types show up in the damage types alongside magic and blunt.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2016 at 4:08pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 5:41pm
Print Post  

Spyder, please forgive Frank.   He's a bit slow and tends to be below the curve.

In your original post, you say you're running a 4 ftr, 6 ranger, 10 druid.  Per the SWF Wiki:
Quote:
Description
While Single Weapon Fighting, you gain +10% Combat Style bonus to attack speed and +2 Combat Style bonus to Melee Power. Requires fighting with a single one-handed weapon, and wielding only an orb, runearm, or nothing in your offhand.

Notes
Common misconception is that you can wear a shield and still benefit from this feat. You cannot wear a shield and benefit from the single weapon fighting feats unless the third tier Swashbuckler enhancement Skirmisher is taken and the character is single weapon fighting in the Swashbuckling Stance. Then a buckler can be used in the offhand.

No bard splash, no buckler with SWF.  You take a pretty big hit to your DPS if you equip anything in the offhand other than a non-metallic orb on that build. 

Also, take note that leveling order is important on the SWF+TWF wolf as you have to be able to manually choose your SWF feats before hitting whichever Ranger level auto-grants the equivalent version of the TWF feat, so plan accordingly.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2016 at 5:49pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
There is a build section with a relevant thread.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 5:41pm:
Please, Daddy!  Pay attention to me!  I love you!

Proving yet again that you think your Daddy is infallible and can't wrap your childish mind around things when I miss a detail.

I also notice that you've got nothing at all to say about the question at hand, which is orb use while in animal/tree form.  Just a worthless snipe at your beloved Daddy.  Kids these days, they get all sullen and useless when you don't constantly affirm their worth...

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

spyder
Korthos Resident

I Hate People!

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 5:41pm:
Spyder, please forgive Frank.   He's a bit slow and tends to be below the curve.

In your original post, you say you're running a 4 ftr, 6 ranger, 10 druid.  Per the SWF Wiki:

No bard splash, no buckler with SWF.  You take a pretty big hit to your DPS if you equip anything in the offhand other than a non-metallic orb on that build. 

Also, take note that leveling order is important on the SWF+TWF wolf as you have to be able to manually choose your SWF feats before hitting whichever Ranger level auto-grants the equivalent version of the TWF feat, so plan accordingly.

Yep i know it has to be an orb or nothing at all.  And i know tforged orbs are metal  so break druid oath.  I got the heroic and epic versions of the madstone and the one from haunted halls from previous lives.  I did a purple dragon knight so leveling order was fighter then couple ranger levels then druids. Took swf at level 1. So the twf shouldnt be broken. But thanks for the warning.  Any input on procs from the orb? Is it another vote for they won't ever happen?

Edit: i got crap for memory at 130 am after a 16 hour day.  Order was 1 ftr 9 druid 5 ranger.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2016 at 2:07am by spyder »  

IP Logged

spyder
Korthos Resident

I Hate People!

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 1:28am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 6:20pm:
There is a build section with a relevant thread.

I couldn't find it, but searching from a smart phone while at work isn't always that easy.  Mind linking it? Please and thank you.

IP Logged

Farmer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Dharma!

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 4:06pm:

I could be wrong, but I didn't think you could get off-hand augments to proc in wolf/bear/tree forms.  But then the standard rule of thumb for those forms is that weapons don't apply except in the cases where they do.

Not arguing with that, I do have no clue if one can shieldbash in animal form. Just maybe the original advise (what OP referring to) wasn't that bad.
Also twf & shield bash might just screw each other... doggy style

And to OP, no Orbs won't hit/proc in TWF they are just fancy shields hence they do hit/proc with shield bash. Whether they work in animal form is unknown to me but as long as You don't have shield bash they will not hit/proc.
Just roll up a pdk fighter/druid with improved shield bash feat and vanguard enh. and test it on a dummy. If there's pure force damage then there will be procs.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2016 at 8:40am by Farmer »  

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 7:47pm:
Proving yet again that you think your Daddy is infallible and can't wrap your childish mind around things when I miss a detail.

Your tired and copy-catted kindergarten insults aside, no actually.  Your obliviousness to the details has been the point from the outset.  That you still haven't picked up on that is just confirmation of said obliviousness.

Frank wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 7:47pm:
I also notice that you've got nothing at all to say about the question at hand, which is orb use while in animal/tree form.  Just a worthless snipe at your beloved Daddy.  Kids these days, they get all sullen and useless when you don't constantly affirm their worth...

That part of the question was answered already.  What would you propose I add to it? 

Unlike you, I don't feel the need to post inane things just to be noticed when I don't have anything productive to add.  Your posts more often than not are just self-important versions of "Hey guys, me too!" 

If pointing out that you're giving people bad advice regarding shields and monk/ranger wolves is a worthless snipe, you should consult a mirror regarding being sullen, useless and constantly needing affirmation of worth.  After all, I'm not the one reduced to using kindergarten level responses because I won't own my mistakes and can't think of anything of substance to respond with.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2016 at 1:24pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Bo-ring!

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 11:17am:
That part of the question was answered already.  What would you propose I add to it?

I propose that you add the answer, since that question had not been answered already.  All you wanted to do was jump into an adult conversation with your petulant and childish insistence that you be treated as an adult.  You'll be treated as an adult when you earn it, Mookie, and not before.

Unlike you, I don't feel the need to post inane things just to be noticed when I don't have anything productive to add.

Mookie, Mookie, Mookie...  This is exactly what you do, constantly.  You stalk my posts and pray, on your knees, for the day you can point out my typographical errors, or that I missed a minor detail, or that I don't actually read every different forum thread.  It's your entire life!  There is zero value in you doing this, but you persist because you have an uncontrollable compulsion to try prove to yourself that you are worthy of the attention of your Daddy.  It's really quite pathetic, but I keep hoping without any real hope that you'll outgrow this childish and puerile behavior.  And someday, Mookie, someday you might actually win by not fighting with someone who doesn't even need to try hard to beat you.  As Bruce Lee said:  It's the art of fighting without fighting.  It's like a finger pointing at the moon.  Pay attention to the finger and you miss all that heavenwy gwory.

I won't own my mistakes and can't think of anything of substance to respond with.

Quote:

I put the part you need to pay better attention to in red so you can't miss it this time.

Now there, little Mookie, if you're going to challenge your Daddy for the alpha male title you'll need to make it more difficult for me to show you how wrong you are.

I give up, this kid can't learn.  I've tried, and failed I must admit, to teach him how to act like an adult.  He needs a post birth abortion to do the world some good.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #16 - Nov 10th, 2016 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 5:06pm:
I propose that you add the answer, since that question had not been answered already.  All you wanted to do was jump into an adult conversation with your petulant and childish insistence that you be treated as an adult.  You'll be treated as an adult when you earn it, Mookie, and not before.

You're the one who already answered part of the question about orbs you fucking moron.  You even answered it twice in a 2 hour span.  Let me guess... another missed detail excuse.   Roll Eyes

What happened?  Are you so used to being wrong that you assumed that part of your answer was incorrect, too? 

Are you on drugs or drunk off your ass or just delusional and that stupid?

For reference:

Frank wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 4:06pm:
I could be wrong, but I didn't think you could get off-hand augments to proc in wolf/bear/tree forms.

Idiot.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2016 at 12:11am by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Nov 10th, 2016 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Nov 10th, 2016 at 12:04am:
I love you, Daddy!  Even when you say things like "I could be wrong" I will always assume that you are right!  To do otherwise would rock my childlike perception of my beloved, infallible Daddy!

Poor kid.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #18 - Nov 10th, 2016 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Nov 10th, 2016 at 1:03am:
Hey guys!  Can I be cool, too?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #19 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
spyder wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 1:28am:
I couldn't find it, but searching from a smart phone while at work isn't always that easy.  Mind linking it? Please and thank you.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1430127586

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

spyder
Korthos Resident

I Hate People!

Reply #20 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the link.  You are a scholar and a gentleman.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #21 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Still yawning.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint