Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Oh, Fran (Read 18750 times)
Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Oh, Fran
Feb 13th, 2017 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Can we start a support group or something?  How the hell do you die to trash with one of the best mass trash-killers in the game?  "Kept?"  You died more than once?!

I'd like to watch this sometime.  Maybe we can offer some tips on how to get to at least mediocrity in a game you've been playing for 10 years.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Re: Oh, Fran
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Ay, mis lados!

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 4:30pm:
Can we start a support group or something?  How the hell do you die to trash with one of the best mass trash-killers in the game?  "Kept?"  You died more than once?!

I'd like to watch this sometime.  Maybe we can offer some tips on how to get to at least mediocrity in a game you've been playing for 10 years.

Honestly I'm still trying to figure that out myself because I've soloed E-BB Servants a number of times over the past couple of years without issue.

My thoughts are that...
1) The Aggro changes have made this quest much tougher. {Probably not tough enough for you guys to notice but definitely enough to bother me.

2) This is an Auralock and the combination of high damage Casters/Priestesses and multiple Archers is a bad one when you can only catch 2-4 of them in your bursts each time.
Auralocks are best when they can get in amongst the mobs and quickly take them out.

3) This is a 1st life ungeared alt on Argo {not my main server, not even a secondary - Sarlona - or tertiary - Khyber - server.}.
Her HPs are lower than they could be and even at 21 she's only just hitting 390 pre Shining Through/Tensers  - Yes that's almost 600 after Shining Through and Tensers but it still could be a lot higher if I went for it}.

4) The first run was with a Piking Dual-box so 2 man scaling - I'm not used to Soloing with 2 man scaling but was actually doing ok until I was joined by that other guy and literally as he entered the quest I got mowed down by the Fire Reavers. {This was just after my hireling had bought it}.
No - Better Self Healing would not have helped me as the damage was simply coming in too fast for me to cope with.

5) The second run was a bigger surprise - I'd got the dual-box alt through this chain in a group and now needed to get the main toon through it too.
So I went in solo with hire and got murdered by the first group of Drow - At that point I gave up and ran Vale instead.

6) Drow and Demons i.e. CC not working! Can't Disco or Hold.
Friends in Low Places probably has higher incoming damage at least in the end fight than any part of Servants BUT Friends is a joke to an Auralock because Disco owns the quest.
Disco is literally useless in Servants.

7) I have also complained multiple times about the lag this weekend - that could have had something to do with it but honestly I died so fast each time that I don't know whether I stutter lagged or not.

Oh and I joined in 2010, I didn't realise it was 2020 already Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2017 at 6:46pm by FranOhmsford »  

Main Characters by Server - Cannith Jelina, Sylveria, Enochpagett, Lieuk, Larystessian, Molineux. Sarlona Keltenn, Franq, Athiina, Nyszsa, Curleag, Nalpheyn. Khyber Tynecastle, Athenion, Argo Clievelund, Bjorkalina, G-Land Hassannavid, Tannadice.

IP Logged

Flipton
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 6:38pm:
1) The Aggro changes have made this quest much tougher. {Probably not tough enough for you guys to notice but definitely enough to bother me.

Agreed, it's great. Very much like when it first came out and the drow would wipe the party.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 6:38pm:
Honestly I'm still trying to figure that out myself because I've soloed E-BB Servants a number of times over the past couple of years without issue.

My thoughts are that...

3) This is a 1st life ungeared alt on Argo {not my main server, not even a secondary - Sarlona - or tertiary - Khyber - server.}.
Her HPs are lower than they could be and even at 21 she's only just hitting 390 pre Shining Through/Tensers  - Yes that's almost 600 after Shining Through and Tensers but it still could be a lot higher if I went for it}.

I haven't logged in the game in months but that point only lets me identify the problem. You bring an un-geared first life in a HE quest and you complain you cannot solo it? The rest of your message is just a plain demonstration that you lack skill that is a mandatory requirement for playing un-geared first life toons in elite (and there are people who can make them work).

TLDR
You kinda asked for it. You know you suck so you should not complain you can't win even with EZ buttons classes.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:13pm:
I haven't logged in the game in months but that point only lets me identify the problem. You bring an un-geared first life in a HE quest and you complain you cannot solo it? The rest of your message is just a plain demonstration that you lack skill that is a mandatory requirement for playing un-geared first life toons in elite (and there are people who can make them work).

TLDR
You kinda asked for it. You know you suck so you should not complain you can't win even with EZ buttons classes.

Go ahead and insult me all you like but perhaps you didn't read that it was ONE quest not ALL!

Well ok 2 quests because frankly Spinner is even tougher to Solo.

And sorry but it's 2016 not 2008 - 1st Life ungeared alts have been soloing Heroic Elites at level and for some people under-level for a good few years now - Where've you been?

Main Characters by Server - Cannith Jelina, Sylveria, Enochpagett, Lieuk, Larystessian, Molineux. Sarlona Keltenn, Franq, Athiina, Nyszsa, Curleag, Nalpheyn. Khyber Tynecastle, Athenion, Argo Clievelund, Bjorkalina, G-Land Hassannavid, Tannadice.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:35pm:
Go ahead and insult me all you like but perhaps you didn't read that it was ONE quest not ALL!

Well ok 2 quests because frankly Spinner is even tougher to Solo.

And sorry but it's 2016 not 2008 - 1st Life ungeared alts have been soloing Heroic Elites at level and for some people under-level for a good few years now - Where've you been?

Don't worry kiddo. Everyone already insult you at their heart content without needing your blessing.

I know what I can do with my 8 year old completionist toon. If I play a first life I don't go chew more than I can handle unless I want to test a build. That is playing using your brain.

You play with your ass (on your head). Burn Tongue

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 7:49pm:
Don't worry kiddo. Everyone already insult you at their heart content without needing your blessing.

I know what I can do with my 8 year old completionist toon. If I play a first life I don't go chew more than I can handle unless I want to test a build. That is playing using your brain.

You play with your ass (on your head). Burn Tongue

Well as you want to insult me so much here's some ammunition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3eKx_Fg8yk&feature=youtu.be

Or maybe like Pook you'd consider offering some advice/constructive criticism rather than insults Smiley

And here's the Spinner Video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tAiqQtY0_Q&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2017 at 9:18pm by FranOhmsford »  

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 8:14pm:
you'd consider offering some advice/constructive criticism rather than insults

It's not the advice, it's the deaf ears upon which it falls.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

People kill guns
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Go ahead and insult me all you like

Cool. You suck. Git gud and stop whining.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Go ahead and insult me

Cool cool. You moved out of your parents attic yet?
You need yourself a real job, man.
Your parents won't live forever and you're pushing early 40s bruh.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 10:43pm:
Cool cool. You moved out of your parents attic yet?
You need yourself a real job, man.
Your parents won't live forever and you're pushing early 40s bruh.

Personal foul: unnecessary roughness, on the offense.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
OK, I ate some pizza and watched your movies.  Here's some thoughts in random order.

It's weird hearing the music.  First thing I turned off.

That's a pretty aggressive playstyle.  You gotta know your build, your abilities, and your quest.  Don't die the same way twice in a row.  Jumping into the middle of a bunch of shit is a good way to get killed.  I know it's a burst build, but that doesn't leave you a whole lot of room to work with.  When you get surrounded, you're depending on killing everything to live.  There's no shame in running away.  It's a fuck of a lot faster than looking for cakes when you don't have them hotkeyed.

The change they made a few updates ago means you can't just jump over everybody and run though.  If you're on the edge of a group, you can back up, or move, or do something.  Use the physics against them - hit the reapers first, then magicians, then rangers, but always keep the goddamn axe murderers away.  Burst has a huge range - far larger than melee.  Use that to your advantage.

Healing - it was making me nervous when you were down to 100 hp when you know how hard things hit.  There's very little benefit to playing that close to the edge unless you're an OS barb running with a cleric with an itchy and subtle trigger finger.  Even in a heroic quest, that's an unlucky roll away from needing a Jibbers, and on a first life...

You need some panic keys.  Some "wow, that really hurt" quickies, and some "shit, I'm about to DIE" ones.  There's a reason when they have games with consoles and PCs, one side tends to wreck the other.  Clicking is too slow.  I use a modified Doom layout; there are plenty of others.  Alt-A/S/D/F for four different heals - usually a spell, a pot, an elixer, and something else, like LoH.  Know them.  Then if you're quelled, or healing somebody else, or whatever, you have something that'll save you.

Alt-X tends to be my "oh fuck" combo.  Queen, or Vanguard, or even some superpots for level (heal 120 hp at level 3).  Buy some pots.  Don't die with spellpoints, or buffs you didn't use, or pots, or plat.  You KNOW you died to the drow last time.  Be prepared this time!

Q/E.  You shouldn't be clicking anything onscreen.  Tab cycles enemies; alt-tab in reverse.

Get a goddamn mouse.  They're like 15 bucks for a six-button thing, and you can switch warlock modes real simple-like.  Then you have both hands raping drow instead of this leisurely clicking.

How would you play on a permadeath toon?  Would it be slower?  Counting releases and running everything twice/thrice/fourth time's a charm?  XP/min doesn't have to mean "zerg everything," it can be "am I going to succeed on the first attempt?"

Again, adapt your play style to your situation, not the other way around.  I did a run of Servants with a slow-ass PUG, and jumped into the middle of the second drow group to fight.  Everybody followed me and died like a bunch of hoes.  I killed the drow, rezzed the nubs, and we moved on.  That was a smashy paladin thing that doesn't die much.  If I'd done that on a first-life stick build, we'd ALL die and they'd really be pissed.  Know your capabilities.  You can't play every cleave toon the same (and a burst warlock is basically that, with a bigger range).

Healbots - if you're gonna solo, you need to be an expert with these fat fucking swine.  Turbine/SSG can't code AI for shit, and they fired the one person who was fixing it, so I'm not sure they'll ever be any good.  You almost never want them on attack, especially when you're about to run into a bunch of drow.  Either way though, they fall asleep a lot.  You'll see that when you need a heal (or they do) and they're not doing anything.  Toggling back and forth (attack/defend) will wake them up.  Again, hotkeys.  Some people like ,/. (< and >) for quick switching.  Every update makes them worse, and this was no exception - the one before added retardation when you do a summon, but now even when you do a stay/follow toggle, you'll have to attack/defend.  Make sure you heal them in reaper, since they'll happily blow all their points healing themselves for 4 hp/shot.

Quest shit:

Servants- Pulling the switches to open that door after the first fight gets you xp and maybe a chest.  Dunno if you skipped that for speed, but it takes 10 seconds, and it's like 4k, even if you don't take the chest.

Spinner- You can do crystals as soon as you have them.  It doesn't change the spawns.  Hit block as soon as you get the web line snare warning.  You're not obligated to get tripped.

I know, I know, retard petting zoo... you ever PVP?  It'll make you twitchier.  Find an empty tavern (Market's usually good) and practice shit with a friend.  Or better yet, an enemy.  If you can handle human I, AI becomes laughable.  Or predictable, if you're prepared, and that's the same thing, really.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 11:21pm:
OK, I ate some pizza and watched your movies.  Here's some thoughts in random order.

Thank you for taking that time.

It's weird hearing the music.  First thing I turned off.

I cannot play in silence, I usually have my own music on but when I don't I have to have at least something and I don't mind DDO's music usually {I do hate Big Top music though!}.

That's a pretty aggressive playstyle.  You gotta know your build, your abilities, and your quest.  Don't die the same way twice in a row.  Jumping into the middle of a bunch of shit is a good way to get killed.  I know it's a burst build, but that doesn't leave you a whole lot of room to work with.  When you get surrounded, you're depending on killing everything to live.  There's no shame in running away.  It's a fuck of a lot faster than looking for cakes when you don't have them hotkeyed.

It's a pretty aggressive build Smiley

You didn't see me get into real trouble in those vids - It wasn't a cakewalk but I did complete with reasonable ease.

I do know my build and I definitely know my abilities or lack of {which I'll go into later} which is why I went into Heroic Elite and not EE even though I was Lvl 21.

The change they made a few updates ago means you can't just jump over everybody and run though.  If you're on the edge of a group, you can back up, or move, or do something.  Use the physics against them - hit the reapers first, then magicians, then rangers, but always keep the goddamn axe murderers away.  Burst has a huge range - far larger than melee.  Use that to your advantage.

I do try to follow this rule {hit the most dangerous first and so on} but I'm SLOW, Really slow when it comes to hand-eye co-ordination unfortunately.

Healing - it was making me nervous when you were down to 100 hp when you know how hard things hit.  There's very little benefit to playing that close to the edge unless you're an OS barb running with a cleric with an itchy and subtle trigger finger.  Even in a heroic quest, that's an unlucky roll away from needing a Jibbers, and on a first life...

Yes there were a couple of occasions where my HPs got mullered and had I been Lvl 18 without the extra 50+ from those extra 3 levels I'd have been dead without doubt.

Again I'm slow on the reaction time - I'm not sure after 6 1/2 years playing DDO I can get any better at reacting than I already am - You should have seen my reaction times 6 years ago!

Maybe this is why I like Auralock so much and by extension S+B Pally, Fighter and Cleric builds too {It's just a pity the Devs don't like S+B}.

I like having that extra defense to reduce my need to react quickly because I'm not capable of reacting that quickly.

This will be a big problem for me in adapting to Reaper, though because the guy who actually originally introduced me to DDO back in 2010 logged on last night for the first time in a couple months I ended up running Reaper 1 skull {yes only 1 skull} 2 toed toby with him - He on his Lvl 30 Rogue Mech 1st life and me on my Lvl 30 second life Lock with 1 wiz past life.
We completed without any deaths but it was close on the end fight with getting stunned and flesh to stoned over and over.

I got 31 Reaper xp, he got 28 RXP because he's not VIP right now.
Guess we need to look at Reaper 2-3 and higher level quests but more likely he'll have to do those in groups rather than with me because I won't be able to keep up.

You need some panic keys.  Some "wow, that really hurt" quickies, and some "shit, I'm about to DIE" ones.  There's a reason when they have games with consoles and PCs, one side tends to wreck the other.  Clicking is too slow.  I use a modified Doom layout; there are plenty of others.  Alt-A/S/D/F for four different heals - usually a spell, a pot, an elixer, and something else, like LoH.  Know them.  Then if you're quelled, or healing somebody else, or whatever, you have something that'll save you.

Alt-X tends to be my "oh fuck" combo.  Queen, or Vanguard, or even some superpots for level (heal 120 hp at level 3).  Buy some pots.  Don't die with spellpoints, or buffs you didn't use, or pots, or plat.  You KNOW you died to the drow last time.  Be prepared this time!

Q/E.  You shouldn't be clicking anything onscreen.  Tab cycles enemies; alt-tab in reverse.

I have enough trouble with the standard keys - I can't handle alt+ in combat, I just can't.

Get a goddamn mouse.  They're like 15 bucks for a six-button thing, and you can switch warlock modes real simple-like.  Then you have both hands raping drow instead of this leisurely clicking.

I'd love to get a better mouse but I don't have the cash, one day maybe.

How would you play on a permadeath toon?  Would it be slower?  Counting releases and running everything twice/thrice/fourth time's a charm?  XP/min doesn't have to mean "zerg everything," it can be "am I going to succeed on the first attempt?"

Well not solo for one - I wouldn't play permadeath solo and yes I know how to go slow in a group.

Again, adapt your play style to your situation, not the other way around.  I did a run of Servants with a slow-ass PUG, and jumped into the middle of the second drow group to fight.  Everybody followed me and died like a bunch of hoes.  I killed the drow, rezzed the nubs, and we moved on.  That was a smashy paladin thing that doesn't die much.  If I'd done that on a first-life stick build, we'd ALL die and they'd really be pissed.  Know your capabilities.  You can't play every cleave toon the same (and a burst warlock is basically that, with a bigger range).

I couldn't solo HE Servants of the Overlord on that character at Lvl 18, I could at Lvl 21.

But that character wouldn't have any problems in a decent group in that quest at Lvl 18.

My original point was more that I can't get that decent group very easily any more - Vale was still easy to get a group for but for some reason not LoD Chain {I'd already had to solo LoD because no-one joined my LFM before or IP.}.

Healbots - if you're gonna solo, you need to be an expert with these fat fucking swine.  Turbine/SSG can't code AI for shit, and they fired the one person who was fixing it, so I'm not sure they'll ever be any good.  You almost never want them on attack, especially when you're about to run into a bunch of drow.  Either way though, they fall asleep a lot.  You'll see that when you need a heal (or they do) and they're not doing anything.  Toggling back and forth (attack/defend) will wake them up.  Again, hotkeys.  Some people like ,/. (< and >) for quick switching.  Every update makes them worse, and this was no exception - the one before added retardation when you do a summon, but now even when you do a stay/follow toggle, you'll have to attack/defend.  Make sure you heal them in reaper, since they'll happily blow all their points healing themselves for 4 hp/shot.

Trust me, I know about Healbots and their quirks.

I have found over the last 6.5 years though that Attack beats Defense every time with them - I don't know why this is but they just don't work for me on Defense mode.

Quest shit:

Servants- Pulling the switches to open that door after the first fight gets you xp and maybe a chest.  Dunno if you skipped that for speed, but it takes 10 seconds, and it's like 4k, even if you don't take the chest.

Spinner- You can do crystals as soon as you have them.  It doesn't change the spawns.  Hit block as soon as you get the web line snare warning.  You're not obligated to get tripped.

Hitting block while tethered will still stop me moving though right?
I don't think you can move while blocking, can you?

And yes I know about the first optional in Servants - I don't have a mobile phone so cannot verify my youtube account - therefore I can only upload under 15 minute videos so I was in a bit of a rush - That run took almost 14 minutes with no optionals.

I know, I know, retard petting zoo... you ever PVP?  It'll make you twitchier.  Find an empty tavern (Market's usually good) and practice shit with a friend.  Or better yet, an enemy.  If you can handle human I, AI becomes laughable.  Or predictable, if you're prepared, and that's the same thing, really.

I loathe PvP - It's one thing I absolutely refuse to do in DDO.

Thanks again for offering the advice - It HAS been listened to.
Unfortunately I was expecting that maybe I'd messed up my build somehow more than it being strictly reaction times/playstyle - My playstyle does change when in groups based on the group and the quest difficulty BUT My reaction times I can't really help unfortunately.

P.S Would you really call that Zerging? I killed everything in my way - I didn't run past any mobs even though I was soloing, Yes I skipped opts but that's because I was strapped for time and I always skip the super-hard drow opt when soloing too.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2017 at 6:46am by FranOhmsford »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 7:08am
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 8:14pm:
Or maybe like Pook you'd consider offering some advice/constructive criticism rather than insults Smiley

You have a tendency to ignore advice/constructive criticism or to consider them to be insults.  Or just consider it impossible to achieve for some reason that you feel the need to punctuate with as pile of exclamation points.

But I'll try anyway:

390 HP, which is what you show in the Harbor prior to entering the quest at 21st level is very low. Gear up or expect to die a lot when running EE quests.  The Warlock ability to pile on temp HP does not obviate the need of any character to have decent HP throughout.  You have played this game for many years, this should not be news to you.

Only a small tip on technique:  In Spinner you targeted Hezrou a few times.  All they do is respawn tougher, so ignore them as best you can and focus on the spiders and lighting the pillars.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2017 at 7:25am by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 7:35am
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 6:44am:
This will be a big problem for me in adapting to Reaper, though because the guy who actually originally introduced me to DDO back in 2010 logged on last night for the first time in a couple months I ended up running Reaper 1 skull {yes only 1 skull} 2 toed toby with him - He on his Lvl 30 Rogue Mech 1st life and me on my Lvl 30 second life Lock with 1 wiz past life.
We completed without any deaths but it was close on the end fight with getting stunned and flesh to stoned over and over.

This is kinda funny for me because I've never been flesh to stoned in TTT, on any character, any life, any difficulty level including reaper.  I didn't even know he was capable of throwing flesh to stone spells until I read about it.  You might need to work on your saving throws.  They are just as important as HP.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #16 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 7:08am:
You have a tendency to ignore advice/constructive criticism or to consider them to be insults.  Or just consider it impossible to achieve

Trust me...I do NOT ignore constructive advice.

I may find it not viable for me personally but it is not ignored.

390 HP, which is what you show in the Harbor prior to entering the quest at 21st level is very low. Gear up or expect to die a lot when running EE quests.  The Warlock ability to pile on temp HP does not obviate the need of any character to have decent HP throughout.  You have played this game for many years, this should not be news to you.

It's a caster - 400 at level 20 is as far as I know still acceptable in Elite - She's only 10 short of that and has a huge buffer of recastable temp hp on top.

Maybe I could get her a better Con item for 20 more hp, Maybe I could get her a better False Life item for another 10 but we're not talking a huge difference here.

Yes maybe that extra 20-30 hp would be enough to stop the one-two shots getting me - the difference between 18 and 21 with no better gear was. But this is what I mean about Insults vs Constructive Criticism - 390 at Lvl 21 is not stupidly low for a Caster, I've seen Rogues with 350 or even less at that level and Casters with under 300.

Could my HP be higher - Yes.
Would I like it to be higher - Yes.
Am I going to search out perfect gear every time I level up - No.
Will my HP get better as I move up through Epics - ABSOLUTELY!
Will I be running EEs on that character any time soon - Well maybe E-VoN 5 but that's easy when you have a full Raid Group.

Only a small tip on technique:  In Spinner you targeted Hezrou a few times.  All they do is respawn tougher, so ignore them as best you can and focus on the spiders and lighting the pillars.

Now this I didn't know - Are you sure they respawn TOUGHER or is it just that it feels that way?

I'm not sure I can just ignore all of them when I run Spinner but I can certainly try.
In groups Spinner can go south fast.

Frank wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 7:35am:
This is kinda funny for me because I've never been flesh to stoned in TTT, on any character, any life, any difficulty level including reaper.  I didn't even know he was capable of throwing flesh to stone spells until I read about it.  You might need to work on your saving throws.  They are just as important as HP.

Flesh to Stone is a Fort save - Already the lowest Save on a Lock.

I've used TWO Twist Slots on getting my Reflex up because I fully realise Saves are important DESPITE constantly being told by others that that's a waste of Twists.

That's ^ my Lvl 30 Lock on Cannith {2nd Life with 1 Wizard Past Life} that I ran Reaper 1 TTT on.

No she's not fully geared up or maxed out, She doesn't have multiple past lives, she does have 3 ERs so far and she's by far the strongest character I currently have.

My saves could be higher yes but I'm not sure how to get them higher without messing up something else - I can't craft for Lvl 30 yet {I think 21 is my limit}.

Again...I'm not ignoring your advice - I'm just trying to make you understand that not all of it will work for me personally.

P.S. What exactly are decent saves for Mid Tier Epics like TTT on EE?
What are decent EH Saves for Mid Tier Epics like TTT?
What are decent saves to be looking to get for LE and LH?
NOT Maxed Saves - Minimum requirements for viability?
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2017 at 8:58am by FranOhmsford »  

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 9:03am
Print Post  
The hireling clerics work in defense mode just as good as fight mode.   But if you ever call them to you (where they teleport), then they will be braindead until you swap between modes.

But having them in attack mode just means they will likely die running into battle or not be able to heal you because they are attacking.

A good logitech mouse with a few more buttons is about $40.  $40... all the time you spend on the DDO forums you could just do a few Ubers and make that much money in no time.

And you don't necessarily need to use Alt to get more keys... you just need to remap some of the ones around the WASD keys. 

Oh, and do you use Mouse-look mode while playing?  Or are you one of those people that try to play in the other mode?

Learn to play in Mouse-look mode.  Map a quick key to get out of it (T is good... I've mapped one of my extra mouse buttons to it) when you have to click on something... but for the most part, most of the stuff you need to click on fast needs to be mapped to key/toolbar.

The extra keys that can be used for quick hitting.
~ (right below Esc... I put my major healing on that).  easy to hit with pinky.

B key... another one that is easy to hit.

F, G, V, C all around there.

Of course, you'll have to practice some and not just give up right away because "I don't like change"

IP Logged

Limpgimp
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 9:41am
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 6:44am:

My original point was more that I can't get that decent group very easily any more - Vale was still easy to get a group for but for some reason not LoD Chain {I'd already had to solo LoD because no-one joined my LFM before or IP.}.

People (at least some) are leaving the chain for epics. Decent xp for first run, part of a saga and fairly trivial to run.

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 9:49am
Print Post  
[] wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 4:59pm:
Ay, mis lados!

"mis costillas" you illiterate fuck.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #20 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 10:03am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 9:03am:
The hireling clerics work in defense mode just as good as fight mode.   But if you ever call them to you (where they teleport), then they will be braindead until you swap between modes.

On this I'm afraid we'll just have to disagree because though Hireling Clerics aren't perfect on any mode I have always found them to be much better on Attack than on Defense.
Much more likely to throw a heal on Attack than on Defense.

In fact the ONLY ones I'll put on Defense are Larafay and Barrage strictly because on Attack they run out of SPs faster, Not as much faster as you'd expect because Defense doesn't work {at least not for me} the way it should.

But having them in attack mode just means they will likely die running into battle or not be able to heal you because they are attacking.

And I've found they do exactly the same in Defense only are even less likely to heal for some unknown reason - I'm not lying here, I wouldn't use Attack if Defense was better for me but it isn't.

And I'd be willing to bet that I've used a lot more Hirelings than you or indeed pretty much anyone else playing DDO has.

A good logitech mouse with a few more buttons is about $40.  $40... all the time you spend on the DDO forums you could just do a few Ubers and make that much money in no time.

One problem - I can't drive!

I had about 6 lessons when I was 16/17 and started dreaming about driving into a wall - I stopped taking lessons!

And you don't necessarily need to use Alt to get more keys... you just need to remap some of the ones around the WASD keys. 

Which ones exactly?

I already have T for changing between mouse look and non-mouse look.
I already have G for disabling/enabling auto-targeting {I still don't know which one I should be using because I can never remember...Is it disable or enable I want?}.

Oh and G and T are both really annoying for me...G because I keep hitting it by mistake and can never remember which one exactly it should be on? Does this change by character and build too?

And T for reasons I'll go into below....

Oh and F is my Voice activation which I never hit by mistake even though it's between G and D {No idea why that is but I've never hit F by mistake so far}.

Oh, and do you use Mouse-look mode while playing?  Or are you one of those people that try to play in the other mode?

Oh GOD!

I LOATHE Mouse Look mode - Every time I hit T by mistake I'm all over the place!

I don't play FPS games, I haven't played FPS games going back 20 years or more to the original Doom and Tomb Raider which I wasn't good at.

I came to DDO from PnP - The only other Computer Games I'd played at all in the 10 years prior were TIF and Madden {again I wasn't good at those either}.

Learn to play in Mouse-look mode.  Map a quick key to get out of it (T is good... I've mapped one of my extra mouse buttons to it) when you have to click on something... but for the most part, most of the stuff you need to click on fast needs to be mapped to key/toolbar.

You see T is terrible for me because I keep hitting it by mistake - I don't know why but I do.

And I cannot play in mouse look - The only time I do play in mouse look is when I hold down the right mouse key to swim.

Please don't say I'm ignoring advice here - This is quite simply one bit of advice that is no good to me....I can't play in mouse look.

The extra keys that can be used for quick hitting.
~ (right below Esc... I put my major healing on that).  easy to hit with pinky.

This key...¬?

Actually I don't think that's used for anything but I do hit it a lot by mistake when going for 1 or Tab - I'm not sure I want to waste heal scrolls like that but it might be useful for Cocoon on characters that have it - I'll give it a shot ty Smiley

B key... another one that is easy to hit.

B's a bit too far for me, I sometimes have trouble getting my thumb to hit the space bar properly and B is above the middle of the space bar out of reach for quick access.

F, G, V, C all around there.[/QUOTE

F is my voice chat

G is for enabling/disabling Auto-Target - And again I hit G a lot by mistake for some reason.

C might be doable for something but V probably suffers from the same issues for me as B does.

My Hand-eye co-ordination and manual dexterity are a lot worse/lower than yours - I'm not good with computers, in fact I'm not "good" at much and indeed am pretty average all round unfortunately.

[quote author=170007100C0D010B16170607620 link=1487021447/17#17 date=1487081001]Of course, you'll have to practice some and not just give up right away because "I don't like change"

I don't have the benefit of years of FPS gameplay as a kid.
Don't think I haven't tried mouselook, it doesn't work for me.

And I had trouble with the Playstation and Nintendo Gamepads trying to play old Beat em ups like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter - The number of keys some of you guys use is well beyond me.

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 10:07am
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 10:03am:
On this I'm afraid we'll just have to disagree because though Hireling Clerics aren't perfect on any mode I have always found them to be much better on Attack than on Defense.
Much more likely to throw a heal on Attack than on Defense.

You do know you can deactivate hires specific spells or skills, dont you?

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #22 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Limpgimp wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 9:41am:
People (at least some) are leaving the chain for epics. Decent xp for first run, part of a saga and fairly trivial to run.

It's possible that some people are doing that which WILL reduce the numbers running Heroic too but...

1) what are they running instead? I'm guessing they're also skipping heroic Wheloon, Mask, Druids, High Road and Storm Horns.
I suppose Battlefield would do it but I don't see that many Battlefield LFMs.
IQ XP is notoriously low.
RR = Rofl

2) At low level Epic levels most of my characters are not yet EE capable outside of EE VoN 5/6 which I swear is underscaled comparatively even once you add in the extra damage 6-12 players do when running together.
I'm not exactly usually the one farming kills at the puzzle and I stay on the right usually when doing south.

3) I actually saw 2 Servants LFMs up on Cannith this morning together with one having 2 players in and the other 1 player {no idea why he didn't just join the other 2 as they went IP literally at the same moment.}.
Maybe I just picked a bad time to put up a Servants LFM on Argo but it was SATURDAY EVENING GMT so prime time for US which is the bulk of Argo's population!

Oh and don't tell me it was because it was me - That character is pretty new and barely known - People might recognise Clievelund as me and ignore him but I doubt many would have recognised Bjorkalina as me prior to yesterday/today and those videos {which don't have all that many views either} and these forum posts about her.

IP Logged

FranOhmsford
Dragon Raider

Rule Britannia

Reply #23 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Lhynn wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 10:07am:
You do know you can deactivate hires specific spells or skills, dont you?

Yes but it deactivates them from you being able to use them too and is in effect a terrible system that the Devs put in the game borked and decided not to bother fixing.

For instance:

Larafay spams Cometfall, Destruction and Greater Command over and over again no matter what the mobs are she's facing.

Destruction and Cometfall are on her bar and in the UI tab you can disable them.
BUT
Then you cannot tell her to use either without messing around and enabling it first.

AND worse of all you cannot stop her from spamming Gtr Command!
Which she will spam at Undead, Golems or indeed anything and everything she sees whether it works on them or not!

Also - When this system was put into place I REJOICED!
Because it meant I could switch off Heal Mass on Albus who I seriously would not use prior because he wouldn't heal me in time or himself - because he insisted on casting non-quickened heal mass by which time it actually cast either he, I or both of us were dead!
This was before I started to get enough HP at lvl 20 to cope between his Heal Masses - Albus was loved by the Elite as perhaps the ONLY Hireling other than Mikayl they considered actually good but that's mainly because they didn't realise how bad he was for newer and more casual players with lower than average HP.
Really at that point you required 450+ to be safe with him as your healer {I think it's dropped a bit since but that may just be my reactions getting better}.

BUT
Unfortunately again You have to switch Heal Mass back on if YOU want to tell him to cast it!

It's a terribad system that was released in a borked state and then left by the Devs.

IP Logged

DoRayEgon
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 11:15am
Print Post  
FranOhmsford wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 10:11am:
3) I actually saw 2 Servants LFMs up on Cannith this morning together with one having 2 players in and the other 1 player {no idea why he didn't just join the other 2 as they went IP literally at the same moment.}.
Maybe I just picked a bad time to put up a Servants LFM on Argo but it was SATURDAY EVENING GMT so prime time for US which is the bulk of Argo's population!

I find that on Friday/Saturday evenings, most players that are on are not interested in that type of content.  They are hitting Raids (Legendary Shroud, Spine, HoX, Fire Peaks, Deathwyrm) or running upper end content like Slavers.  At least on Cannith time of day often dictates LFM content.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint