Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Unintentional exploiter gets screwed (Read 8558 times)
m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Unintentional exploiter gets screwed
Jul 17th, 2017 at 3:06am
Print Post  

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

knockcocker
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Unintentional exploiter gets screwed
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 3:53am
Print Post  
And cue the white-knighting in 3...2...1...

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Meh *shrug*.. they went to ML14.. so now you can craft same.. (bonus + insightful bonus=10 @ lvlv 14) Into the locker they went.

Their usefulness @ lvl1 was only slightly reduced by their tendency to break when someone sneezed in the same room, but they were still nice.

IP Logged

CrazyOldCatLady
Korthos Resident

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 8:49am
Print Post  
I think anyone who buys something like that should really know that's it's not right and will likely get fixed at some point so I'm finding it hard to sympathise.

I'm not anti-exploitation but they really should have known better than to spend that much on it

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Has +10 stat item at level 14 and is complaining?  Sounds like a nice item to me.   Also, did he think the no ml +10 int item was legit?   Come on.  There's gullible and then there is head in the sand  stupid.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 9:53am
Print Post  
There are tons of ml 2 armors  with absolute ml 22 on the ah.  Before u36 you could equip them at 2.  Now you can't.  But they show up on the ah when you search for gear range ml 2 to ml 2.   That's a problem.  Some idiot is going to buy one and be pissed.   The ah Ui needs to function the same as the armor and work off the higher of ml and absolute ml.

IP Logged

knockcocker
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 9:50am:
Has +10 stat item at level 14 and is complaining?  Sounds like a nice item to me.   Also, did he think the no ml +10 int item was legit?   Come on.  There's gullible and then there is head in the sand  stupid.

Sure.  However, I think it's a bigger problem that the owner of the cash auction did nothing about
busted stuff on there for literally years, took their cut then ret-conned the desirability out of
that stuff.  That's a cunt's trick.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 11:41am
Print Post  
knockcocker wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 10:37am:
Sure.  However, I think it's a bigger problem that the owner of the cash auction did nothing about
busted stuff on there for literally years, took their cut then ret-conned the desirability out of
that stuff.  That's a cunt's trick.

This, I am going to have to agree with... the fix was bullshit, and to be perfectly honest I'm tired of this "we've fixed an issue where such & such under so-n-so blah blah blah..." when it's almost a non-issue but the loudest sandy vagina on the motherboards wont shut up about it.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
How much culpability does SSG have in these situations where the seller is a player and the buyer is a player?

A lot of focus is made on the AH 30% house rake on transactions, but it's not like the 30% take on a handful of transactions (even at 400 shards price) is really a huge money maker or anything.  We are talking peanuts.  That is hardly a motivating factor for SSG. 

This has been going on for years.

What is SSG's responsibility when players were selling sands scrolls in the weeks prior to the release or immediately after the release where you could trade 3 of any for 1?  Or when they released deadly random items that made Dream Visor complete junk when, before the release it was best in slot for melee?  Players who are paying attention can often find opportunities to cast off formerly desirable gear at a premium on players who are not aware that the item is no longer worthwhile or that the item will soon devalue greatly.  Especially when the opportunity is based on duping, an exploit, or known non-WAI features?

Let's take the case of the no ML items:  What are people thinking SSG should do to prevent players getting screwed by scumbags who are selling stuff they know will change in a day or week?  Should SSG write code to prevent them from being listed on the AH/ASAH?  Should they monitor the AH/ASAH?  Should they start policing the AH/ASAH?  That's a can of worms.  People get screwed all the time there.  Where is the line?  What is buyer's remorse?  What is an unethical transaction?  That's a lot of grey areas and very little black and white area. 

It is easy to point out the problems and to cast shade at the situation.  But identifying problems is easy.  Finding solutions, ones that really work, is much more difficult. 

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 2:22pm:
How much culpability does SSG have in these situations where the seller is a player and the buyer is a player

I would say the most. They provide the platform and the incentive. diablo 3 had to shut down their real money and the gold auction houses because they knew turning a blind eye is actually enabling. you're letting ssg off the hook.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 3:03pm:
I would say the most. They provide the platform and the incentive. diablo 3 had to shut down their real money and the gold auction houses because they knew turning a blind eye is actually enabling. you're letting ssg off the hook.

Not trying to.  Just trying to ascertain what the community feels is the amount of culpability.  If the community of players feels SSG needs to act as a police force on player behavior then they should either:

A) Dedicate the resources to implement tracking on transactions, police transactions, and reverse fraudulent transactions and issue bans (maybe just of the auction house, but maybe game bans) for repeat offenders.

or

B)  Change the AH and work all transactions like the brokers.  Everything has a stated game value  You can keep your loot or sell it for the game decided value.  If you sell it, another player can buy it at a game decided value.  Sellers can't set prices and Buyers can't bid.

To me, option A is an expensive PITA and you will end up with people with buyer's remorse or going on drunk buying sprees or selling sprees wanting you to undo their own stupidity.  Given the nature of anon internet assholes, I'd go with option B.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 4:31pm:
Not trying to.  Just trying to ascertain what the community feels is the amount of culpability.

SSG made the item. 100% culpability.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 4:44pm:

SSG didn't force the seller to knowingly list it for a higher value when the seller knew the value was dropping dramatically in a week or two.  SSG didn't force the buyer to spend more than the item's value because they were unaware of the documented, communicated value change. 

I'm fine with saying SSG has some culpability, but 100% is a bit much.  The seller could have been cool and sold it for a reasonable price.  The Buyer could have said "maybe this is too good to be true"  I'm gonna ask some guildies, search the forums, check the wiki.  You have to give each of them some culpability.  Even if it is only 5%?  10%?  100% on SSG is unreasonable. 

Here's another possible fix:  Make Auctions public.  Require the seller's character name and guild name be visible.  That way everyone can see those sellers listing ML:0 items the day before the update for 1000 shards and know who the dirtbags are.  If you had to own the fact that you were openly trying to cheat other players, it might limit how many people engage in that activity. 
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:15pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:09pm
Print Post  

Oh bullshit.....

A rather memorable night in the ER right before my shift ended, this guy came in with more then 50 'Chinese Checker' marbles in his ass...

This is somehow Milton Bradley's fault? Fuck right off.. People know when something is too good to be true, it has a tendency to go badly...
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:10pm by ZooperDooper »  

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
ShockedRevaulting wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 4:44pm:

This, exactly.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:09pm:
Oh bullshit.....

A rather memorable night in the ER right before my shift ended, this guy came in with more then 50 'Chinese Checker' marbles in his ass...

This is somehow Milton Bradley's fault? Fuck right off.. People know when something is too good to be true, it has a tendency to go badly...

So that guys' ass came with the Chinese Checkers game he purchased from Milton Bradley?  The ASAH is a part of DDO, not some external thing.  SSG made the item, and the means with which to sell it for shards (IE Money.) 

Knowing that most players don't read the forums, and there was nothing posted in the launcher, how do you blame the player?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
no. wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:16pm:
So that guys' ass came with the Chinese Checkers game he purchased from Milton Bradley?  The ASAH is a part of DDO, not some external thing.  SSG made the item, and the means with which to sell it for shards (IE Money.) 

Knowing that most players don't read the forums, and there was nothing posted in the launcher, how do you blame the player? 

What about the seller who knew he was screwing over another player?  It's cool to be an anonymous selfish dick, right?  Because...internet.  Still bullshit. 

I'd say SSG should take the item from the buyer, give him back all his 400 shards, give the item back to the seller, take away the 400  shards, and give the seller a 1 week vacation for being a dick.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 4:31pm:
To me, option A is an expensive PITA and you will end up with people with buyer's remorse or going on drunk buying sprees or selling sprees wanting you to undo their own stupidity.  Given the nature of anon internet assholes, I'd go with option B.

That would be a good option, but I feel defeated in trying to think up ways that the ddo team could implement better solutions to existing problems. They don't necessarily have even a decent track record of making things right or owning up to mistakes. This may be a bit of a stretch and a tad hyperbolic on my part because I feel like they are doing what darknet sites like the now defunct alphabay or silkroad are guilty of doing. By sitting there and not actively stopping situations that create ill will in the community they, in a way foster that type of environment. I see your point of; at the end of the day you are responsible for you, and it's correct. Just wish SSG wouldn't turn a blind eye to things that could potentially cause more unscrupulous types to gain, and less discerning individuals potential grief
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:24pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
There are always guys who are going to try and cheat the system.. get justice when opportunities present themselves.

Knew a guy who doesn't play any more, never would stfu about how his characters were so godamn awesome. One night we are all together getting ready to do some serious farming... and hes wanting time to power stack all that bullshit onto his wraps.. we let him get all good and ready, then we dump a pile of Wonder Potions on him and leave him at the entrance
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:30pm by ZooperDooper »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:05pm:
Here's another possible fix:  Make Auctions public.  Require the seller's character name and guild name be visible.  That way everyone can see those sellers listing ML:0 items the day before the update for 1000 shards and know who the dirtbags are.  If you had to own the fact that you were openly trying to cheat other players, it might limit how many people engage in that activity. 

I hear they do that in LOTRO, so it is probably realistic.

Of course it introduces the problem of jackwagons going "Hey guild, Ash is a gouger, everyone /ignore him."

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Satanscock
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
So moral of the story, if it looks too good to be true it probably, it probably is.

I'm not falling for that bottle of air in the AH....not me, no way.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #21 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 1:34pm
Print Post  

More importantly, they made the items, made changes to the system that broke said items, then left those items broken for months without doing a damned thing about it.   Then they randomly get a hair up their ass one day and decide to retroactively fuck anyone who put time, effort, resources, and potentially real $$ into acquiring some of these items.  Yes, it's 100% on them and the poor way they always handle cleaning up their own mistakes. 

They had multiple options for better ways to handle that shitshow.  As usual, they chose one of the worst.

They could have removed those items from the loot tables as soon as they realized they were broken.  They could have even just changed the wondrous items to BTAoA as soon as they realized the problem.  That would have prevented the AH fiasco.

They could have fixed new ones going forward and left the current ones as is since they took so damned long to fix them.  It's not like a small amount of those items floating around was breaking or ruining the game in any way.

But nope, they chose the "fuck them" option as usual.

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2017 at 1:35pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
I think a better solution would have been to just prevent them from being repaired, and not fixable by the adamantine ritual either

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #23 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:09pm:

Product recall!

A better counter-argument would've derailed the convo into gun control.

Asheras wrote on Jul 17th, 2017 at 5:19pm:
What about the seller who knew he was screwing over another player?

Did he, though?

You have to give each of them some culpability.  Even if it is only 5%?  10%?  100% on SSG is unreasonable. 

I agree, but I don't agree that there's only 100% to dole out. I didn't make that clear, because it meant typing more words. You seem really interested though, so okay. Imo, each party can have up to 100% culpability. The other participants did not seem 100%. We have enough info to say for sure that SSG could have prevented this issue, or resolved it amicably, all on its own: 100%.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Carlin
Korthos Resident

Fuck the Children!

Reply #24 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Make Auctions public.  Require the seller's character name

That's a great statement.  I've been wishing that one for years.  I'd probably sell a lot more goods if I had a mule up with my tag.  Like the bazaar in EverQuest.

I also wish they would have merged all the servers auctions together like City Of Hero's did.  Good times.

My shitty two cents.  A lv 14 +10 int anything is still (2) better then anything you can make in cannith crafting for lv 14 (8).  Also you can stack a +3 insightful in a different slot & a +1 quality slayers on top of that.  So, a +14 int at lv 14 is pretty fucking sweet.  Even lv 18 crafting is not good enough for a lv 14, +10 item.  best you can make is a 9 int, 4 insightful.  So.  My 2 cents.  What a fucking whiner.  Pull your head out of your ass and reliaze what you have is fucking OP.  So many people do not have any.  waah I paid 400 shards for a godly piece of gear, but I cannot put it on with my thumb in my ass.  I need both hands.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2017 at 9:12pm by Carlin »  

You'll be fine if you just wash the main four parts of the body.  Armpits, Asshole, Crotch & Teeth.  In fact to save time, you can use the same brush on all four parts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint