Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) WTF?! A consensus?! (Read 7786 times)
5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: WTF?! A consensus?!
Reply #25 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:54am
Print Post  
If they are going to still refuse to merge (against all sense) they should at least make the default chat channels (general, advice, trade) into global channels so that the worlds appear less dead.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #26 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:33am:
This seems like faulty logic. If the servers lag when they're a ghost town, then obviously that lag has nothing to do with population.

Further, we know from the oracle archive that Thelanis and Khyber both used to have more logins than all of the servers combined currently have, and everyone agrees that there was less lag back then, so obviously current lag has nothing to do with population.

Again, since the worlds are now virtual servers and hardware is cheap, if population load were to be a problem in the future, they could simply add physical servers to the cluster (EVE style) until it can handle the load.

You're trying to apply common sense and logic to SSG.  When has that worked out well for anyone lately?

The point you're missing is that yes, with the currently abysmal server populations, they still lag.  Regardless of why they lag, adding increased load onto a given server/cluster will likely make the lag worse.

Citing numbers and stats from a few years ago has zero bearing on the current state of the game.  The hardware is different, they've piled multiple new systems on top of the known broken/unfixable ones, etc. etc.

Hell, in a somewhat recent mobo thread, the devs just admitted that a big part of the problem with the older code is that it uses an integrated, proprietary database (or something similar) that causes them all kinds of headaches.   They also stated that due to the nature of the integration, it is not really feasible to convert it to a modern, proper database.

So yes, piling more players onto a system that's broken and/or exceeded it's limits in multiple ways is probably not a good idea.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #27 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 12:18pm:
You're trying to apply common sense and logic to SSG.

Granted, you have a point that there is a history of ineptitude; however, regardless of how inefficient the code is, any idiot can brute force solve an insufficiency of processing power in a cluster by throwing a few dollars at it.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #28 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Praise be to the Covefe sock

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
pescha making sense?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #30 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 12:54pm:
Granted, you have a point that there is a history of ineptitude; however, regardless of how inefficient the code is, any idiot can brute force solve an insufficiency of processing power in a cluster by throwing a few dollars at it.

If they were willing to throw money at problems, the game wouldn't be the raging mess it is today.  All they have to do is hire one solid, experienced dev and dedicate him to "fixing things" while the rest keep doing whatever the hell they do.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #31 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 12:28am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:54am:
If they are going to still refuse to merge (against all sense) they should at least make the default chat channels (general, advice, trade) into global channels so that the worlds appear less dead.

as long as they do not change the way a hard merge is handled it wont happen as it will be too disruptiveand drive away too many people.

Now if they stop being dumb a soft merge is the way to go: free server transfer and let the players choose where they want to go....
after a few months look at the ghost towns ( the empty servers ) and make an announcement that they will be shut down in X weeks, please transfer to another server if you're still there.

Last keep all the untransfered data in a corner so that when a returning player asks you can recover the toons. ( through a support request or automagically )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #32 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 12:28am:
as long as they do not change the way a hard merge is handled it wont happen as it will be too disruptiveand drive away too many people.

Now if they stop being dumb a soft merge is the way to go: free server transfer and let the players choose where they want to go....
after a few months look at the ghost towns ( the empty servers ) and make an announcement that they will be shut down in X weeks, please transfer to another server if you're still there.

Last keep all the untransfered data in a corner so that when a returning player asks you can recover the toons. ( through a support request or automagically )

dis so hard

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #33 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 2:56pm:
Praise be to the Covefe sock

http://i.imgur.com/UpO5Oxp.png

Apparently the Covfefe sock has spawned it's own sock, Transgender.  What's next?  An AffimativeAction sock?  Or a FakeNews sock?  Linking the sock with one of Trump's latest blunders is a bit obvious.   

IP Logged

HernandoCortez
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:37am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:54am:

LOL. You deserve a +1 for this.

IP Logged

HernandoCortez
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 9:47pm:
If they were willing to throw money at problems, the game wouldn't be the raging mess it is today.  All they have to do is hire one solid, experienced dev and dedicate him to "fixing things" while the rest keep doing whatever the hell they do.

That ain't gonna happen and I think thats because DDO is beyond fixing now.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #36 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
HernandoCortez wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 11:37am:
LOL. You deserve a +1 for this.

They should also merge the auction houses. How hard would that be?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint