Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Blandest DDO quest (Read 8431 times)
Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Blandest DDO quest
Jan 5th, 2018 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Most TR's I try to hit every quest once. Some quests I look really forward to playing again, some quests I die a little just at the thought of the slog and some quests I just completely blank on. They leave no impression at all.

So I was wondering. In everyone's opinion what is/are the blandest quests in DDO? Quests that, when you see them, make you go "right, this quest also exists".

For me it has to be tower of frost. I don't know why because it has a semi-unique design. But from the lackluster loot to the bland quest design I just Always forget this quest exists.

A runner up would probably be memoire of an illusory larcener but that's mainly because of how much they hyped up the choose your own adventure, the unfinished textures and the completely uninspired mob placement and variety.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2018 at 3:13am by Bushin »  

IP Logged

S_O_B
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Blandest DDO quest
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Black Loch.. ewwww... and there is also that Water Lag, which gives 2 reasons not to run it

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Illusionary larcener is definitely up there.  I think they had this grand idea for this, started to implement it, but then the following happened:
1)  They didn't realize how many different quest possibilities there are even with two choices at every decision point.
2)  They realized the tech of the game could not really handle everything they wanted to do.
3) They ran out of time because of poor planning from the first 2 and just shipped what they had completed.

Grim & Barrett is pretty boring as well.  Just run through hallways and kill piles of mobs every so often.... but it's fast and quick XP.

I won't even touch Acid Wit unless I'm trying to max favor.  Too much of same thing especially near the end having to go left and right at main hallway, then left and right off those two paths.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:41am
Print Post  
To me, the word bland means boring and unremarkable.  For that, I'd go with a quest like Tangleroot part 1.  Go in and kill 20 hobgoblins.  Doesn't matter which ones.  No boss.  Just kill 20.  Or, Kobold Assault.  Go stand around and kill 200 kobolds.  No other objectives.  (Well there is the trog champ, but meh).  Any quest with that kind of objective and a small map is pretty bland.   

Of the new ravenloft quests, the one on the hill is also pretty bland.  They did a great job with Ravenloft overall and the first two chains especially are awesome content, but chain 3 (von Richten;s tower quests), they kinda ran out of steam with the 3 quests you need to get into the Abbey.  (The Abby Quest is nice.  I like that one. Clearly more design effort done there) The Baba one is pretty old school "we throw up barriers to make the quest slower and, at the same time, make it impossible to miss any objectives".  The one on the hill though is just Run in a circle and kill shit.  Barrier drops.  Run in a circle and kill shit.   The Barrier drops.  Kill the boss.  Loot and recall.  Very bland.   

Then there are the tedious quests.  Ones that you just see and say "ugh.  This one again?"   Stuff like Acid Wit.  It's just a slog through same high HP mobs over and over.  Newcomers and Black and Blue are this way as well.  Any quest with the "walk 20 yards and fight 10 more mobs in front of a barrier" mechanic that was prevalent from Wheloon through Dragonblood Prophecy.  I was quite happy that there seemed to be only 1 quest in all of Ravenloft where that mechanic was really used heavily.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Kobold Assault is horrendously boring.

And as a close runner up every quest that has a big pack of abishai at ever hallway intersection.

Not necessarily bland, but every quest in necro 3 makes me skip it if at all possible.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Everything associated with quests that have word “Delirium” in it’s title.  I think the Delirium quests suck so hard that the other quests get pulled in by their gravitational pull.  It feels like I have to be reminded every life that Sane Asylum is a quick XP quest.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:39am:
Everything associated with quests that have word “Delirium” in it’s title.  I think the Delirium quests suck so hard that the other quests get pulled in by their gravitational pull.  It feels like I have to be reminded every life that Sane Asylum is a quick XP quest.

Yeah those quests suck so hard that it may not even qualify as sucking and be closer to being a black hole of shit where no fun can escape from.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Rest for the Restless.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
slavers - all three parts. i was extremely disappointed.
haven't run thetymar so far. maybe that will top it.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:41am:
To me, the word bland means boring and unremarkable.

Either we're wrong about the definition or everyone else is, seem to be more "quests I hate" being listed than "boring and uninspired."

I pretty much agree with most of your list but adding -

Tangleroot - I really hate the whole chain.  It could have been one great, epic type of quest, but chopping it up and re-using it like they did just bores me to tears.

Catacombs - think there's two decent quests in the whole chain, the rest are just crazy boring.  Too much running back and forth.

Sorrow Dusk - last half is decent but I rarely run them because I hate the first two/four parts so much.  I know it's been a decade, but the team that thought breaking up quests like that was a good idea should be beaten daily for their contribution to the grind. 

Most of the Delera's pack outside of the main story line - Keeper's sanctuary and Valak's mausoleum especially.  I don't know how they can cram so much in there and still end up with such boring, repetitive quests - plus the xp is shit.

Some of the best quests in the game are f2p, but so are the worst.  Caged Trolls and Dead Predators stick out as so boring that you can't even remember what the quests are till you step in then you're like "oh yeah, this piece of shit."

Escape Plan and Disciples of Shar - two of the most God-awful boring quests in the game.  They were the first new quests released that I was actually at the right level and didn't have to buy a pack, so I rushed to play them the day they came out.  That "are you serious, that's fucking it?" feeling has lasted to this day.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Surpised nobody said "Hold for Reinforcements" in Threnal.  That has got to top it.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Skrilla
Puppy Farmer

Reply #11 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
I dont plat at least 1/4 of the quests...  Grin

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I would say blandest is different from boring, or for quests I don't like.

A short bland quest can be okay, because it's too short to become boring and tedious.

The quests I really dislike are:
Madstone
Acid Wit
Shar disciples
The quest after spinner of shadows
Gerard's Crypt

For contrast, here are five quests I really like:
In the flesh
Tempest Spine
Palace of Stone
ADQ
Battle for eveningstar

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #13 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 3:28pm:
The quest after spinner of shadows

It hit me after making my list that I'd forgotten my least favorite quest in the whole game.

Beyond the Rift is the promise of great things that come, but just a fucking lie.  First quarter seemed interesting, till you realize it's a lifeless walk through the demon web listening to pointless expositional soliloquies - which is still more interesting than the last 75%, which is nothing but a boring slog through caves fighting earth elementals and spiders - like we never fucking did that in Eberron. 

As soon as I get a new toon a key to evening star, I do my best to never run that quest with them again.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #14 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:26am:
Not necessarily bland, but every quest in necro 3 makes me skip it if at all possible.

Once you learn the gimmicks Necro 3 is a very worthwhile (well used to be, I don't know how xp works anymore)  xp run with an elite bravery bonus.

The two blandest quests in the game for me would be:

Stop Hazadill's Shipment followed by Protect Baudry's Interests especially after they made the crate indestructible.

Honourable mention goes to: The Cannith Crystal
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2018 at 5:42pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:41am:
  The one on the hill though is just Run in a circle and kill shit.  Barrier drops.  Run in a circle and kill shit.   The Barrier drops.  Kill the boss.  Loot and recall.  Very bland.   

That one did make me think of the old school arcade classic "Star Castle"... loved playing that game.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Toke wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:28pm:
Surpised nobody said "Hold for Reinforcements" in Threnal.  That has got to top it.

yeah, this is the winner!

15 minutes of tedium.  Of course, they removed the fail condition of Coyle dying, and that at least makes it soloable and you don't want to throw your mouse through the screen when he dies in the last 2 minutes.

I would surmise you could now just park a warlock with aura running and leave for 15 minutes.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #17 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
That one where you grind for ingredients to craft outdated loot.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I cast my vote for the Baudry Chain as the most boring in the game, Followed by Coyle mostly because it's wait for the spawn, smack Coyle on the head so he won't die right off... rinse repeat for 15 minutes. Just sheer boredom....

For things I never run... Sarrowdusk comes to mind I mean having to run back and forth to the quest giver gives me flashbacks to Catacombs.... just a pain in the ass and there is much better XP to be had elsewhere. I only do that on rare 5k Favor runs.

IP Logged

Reyes.
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
I like quests for the usual: xp, loot, favor, fun, but specialy, lore. Hell, i even got hooked in this game for korthos, that whole shadow over insmouth thing was just great for me.

I love with passion the Stormreaver in game chain, from waterworks to FoT where he compleates his mission, passing for  shan to kor, Deneith part of therenal, TS, reaver refuge and all the quori-linked quests that expand the lore for him.

Necro with the abbot and leading to shavarath also holds a place in mah hart.

That being said

trials of the archons is boring as fuck.

Tl, dr: I love Yaulthoon in In the Flesh.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Synchrono wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:36pm:
I mean having to run back and forth to the quest giver

Dimension door halves the travel.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #21 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 12:55am
Print Post  

Did they ever bring back ddoor scrolls? Or have they come up with other options?

IP Logged

exploytoften
Waterworks Kobold

Can i haz yer stuffz?

Reply #22 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 3:23am
Print Post  
I'd also have to agree with Baudry chain

My motto is: exploit early, exploit often
YIM  
IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #23 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Strake wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 12:55am:
Did they ever bring back ddoor scrolls? Or have they come up with other options?

They drop rarely. I used to auction them for 10k plat each. There's also the hireling and the Shadowdancer ED, but if you really want it all the time (on a non-bard/wiz/sorc/lock) you can be a human and spend a feat and 7 ap for the dragonmark (at level 2!)

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #24 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:11pm:
That one where you grind for ingredients to craft outdated loot.

Nothing more heartbreaking than watching that guy (those guys) who have decided they need a specific piece of crafted gear from one of the old packs.  I'm talking Vault of the Artificers or (and I've actually seen this recently) Reavers Refuge.

Poor bastards spending all day trying to get groups together and running the same quests over and over trying to get that one weird ingredient they need to craft their gear.  It's hearbreaking, really.

Strake wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 12:55am:

The answer to almost all old issues is now - play a warlock.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint