Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Blandest DDO quest (Read 8443 times)
iGouger
Ex Member

Re: Blandest DDO quest
Reply #25 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 12:28am
Print Post  
This is sort of an interesting topic, because on one hand, you have quest which are unique and which technically have interesting, or at least unorthodox design--Tomb or the Tormented comes to mind. And yet, as far as I know, there are few quests which are as universally despised as that one.

On the other hand, you get quests like Warehouse District or Tear of Dhakaan, which are very vanilla quests, yet everyone always runs them due to great experience. I'd say those are "uninspired," but then by the same token, at least 50% of DDO's quests are equally "uninspired" or "bland." A lot of quests fall in the category of "they're bland, but people still run them anyways," while a lot of others fall in the category of "they're bland and nobody runs them because there's no incentive to do so." I have an inkling that the quests in the latter category, rather than the former, are typically what come to most people's minds first. 

There's also the issue that, after playing through any given quests so many dozens of times... the game just gets old. Certainly, you can vary it up by playing through with different builds, but even then, it gradually starts to get stale over time. By that token, I personally kind of feel that every quest is getting bland at this point. I've been trying to get back into DDO over the past week, but I just can't do it; I can play one or two quests but I'm simply too bored to continue. Maybe it's time for me to move on.  Embarrassed

If I had to pick any quest as "most bland," though, I would say that all the quests in Sschlindylryn take the cake for me. Not because the quests themselves are terribly boring, mind you, but because the requisite trek through the Underdark is so nightmarishly one-note and stale. Even if I have a somewhat better grasp of the area at this point, the whole are is just fucking depressing and more so than any other area in the game, makes me want to uninstall the game for good and play something else.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #26 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:11pm:
That one where you grind for ingredients to craft outdated loot.

This is how you win at forum posts.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #27 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 10:18am:
They drop rarely. I used to auction them for 10k plat each. There's also the hireling and the Shadowdancer ED, but if you really want it all the time (on a non-bard/wiz/sorc/lock) you can be a human and spend a feat and 7 ap for the dragonmark (at level 2!)

Huh. I've still got 'em in stacks, or at least I did last time I logged in.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Wish I had bought thousands of them before they were taken out of the game.

Only removed from vendors because Devs got their panties in a wad that people were using them to "cheat" the Yellow side in Twilight Forge Raid.

No reason for them to be gone now.

Same with Cloudkill.   

People used to drop cloudkill in front of closed doors in Tempest Spine and kill all the mobs on the other side because it would drop CON to zero, and from a scroll it would last about 10 minutes.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #29 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
The days when CK was king, W/P rapiers... I love it.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Firewall scrolls as well... firewall would also last about 10 minutes.

They fixed all the reasons why they removed certain scrolls from vendors, but never put them back in to the vendors.

Also remember when web lasted forever, and firewalls/fireballs did not dissipate them, (and I think mobs would never "save" out of them).  This was the reason Misery's Web trinket from WW end reward list was nerfed down to 1 web/day from 3/web day... too many fighters able to kill everything themselves.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2018 at 4:48pm by bob the builder »  

IP Logged

Mr Reilly
Stormreaver Piker

They're all gonna laugh
at me.

Reply #31 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Devil's Assault.

- Zorro

IP Logged

dragblood
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Third time's a charm

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #33 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
On the other hand, you get quests like Warehouse District or Tear of Dhakaan, which are very vanilla quests, yet everyone always runs them due to great experience. I'd say those are "uninspired," but then by the same token, at least 50% of DDO's quests are equally "uninspired" or "bland."

The TR grind is one thing that makes you take the brilliance out of most of the low level quest design for granted. On one hand I agree with you but I will say that when I started playing Tear was one of the first quests I had done which truly showed the verticality that DDO can accommodate and not a lot of games really take that dimension into account to the  same degree. Now I will say at an earlier level STK shows it as well but initially I was a Free-To-Play player and didn't have that pack. Consider Redfang in the Marketplace, Its relatively moderate XP and in truth fairly bland and boring but I usually run it most lives I run simply because it reminds me more than nearly any other quest in the game of classic PnP from my days in High School playing on the Redbox basic rule set.

Lets face it just how many people low level players got hooked into staying from Searing Heights and in getting that explorer you have to jump from above and Feather Fall too managed to fall in love when you looked into the distance and see that Tower of the Twelve and wondered just WTF that was and can we see it? Korthos I am not much of a fan of but most of the low level content in this game is very well done but then it's from the original dev team and they are pretty much head and shoulders over the current batch for the most part.

I mean recently I ended up deleting my preference.ini file to reset a hardware sound issue and it forced me to re-watch that opening cinematic the game shipped with and Hell I still want to see that particular map the column with the Giantish architecture leading upwards etc is still no were actually in the game and Damnit I always wanted the rogue to get an attack to jump up and backstab the back of somethings head in a freaking flip. I mean that sort of thing was always something I loved about the game.

Another point to consider when you crank your settings on high and look at the new content I will say their Art department is doing a pretty damn fine job with a 10 year old graphic engine. They suck as systems but their artwork is still first rate.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Synchrono wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:41pm:
I mean recently I ended up deleting my preference.ini file to reset a hardware sound issue and it forced me to re-watch that opening cinematic the game shipped with and Hell I still want to see that particular map the column with the Giantish architecture leading upwards etc is still no were actually in the game and Damnit I always wanted the rogue to get an attack to jump up and backstab the back of somethings head in a freaking flip. I mean that sort of thing was always something I loved about the game.

This?

IP Logged

Synchrono
Waterworks Kobold

I am not a noun, I am
a VERB.

Reply #35 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 4:29am
Print Post  
Yep that's the one...

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Bushin wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 3:12am:

For me it has to be tower of frost. I don't know why because it has a semi-unique design. But from the lackluster loot to the bland quest design

I glossed over this because I had only done this quest one time and that was right after it came out.

Recently, I had lost my Elite Streak by Accident at level 30 (did Baba Raid and the text in the XP dialog said that it would not disrupt my streak, so afterward, my 2950 streak was down to 0) going to do the 3x Scourge Iconic in March when they put it in store so I needed my streak back to 5 by then and I had very few level 30 on Elite quests left undone.

I thought to myself "I've been pwning all these higher level Barovian quests on R1, so this level 28 on Normal quest should be a cakewalk and I'll pay attention to the quest this time."

dear lord, that was a bad thought and assumption.  This quest killed me more times than I've died in the last year total.  Champs were just 1-2 shotting me (1800 HP, 225 PRR, 170 AC, 38% dodge, 25% incorperal, 25% displacement) and I had 7 Assimar LOH that heal me for 500 to 1000 per tap.

Freakin' A.  I found the wiki and just doing the bare minimum on each level was painful. 

And then having to Listen to Cordovan doing the DM voice was just the fucking icing on the cake.

NEVER AGAIN!

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Jan 17th, 2018 at 4:05am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Jan 16th, 2018 at 5:50pm:
I glossed over this because I had only done this quest one time and that was right after it came out.

Recently, I had lost my Elite Streak by Accident at level 30 (did Baba Raid and the text in the XP dialog said that it would not disrupt my streak, so afterward, my 2950 streak was down to 0) going to do the 3x Scourge Iconic in March when they put it in store so I needed my streak back to 5 by then and I had very few level 30 on Elite quests left undone.

I thought to myself "I've been pwning all these higher level Barovian quests on R1, so this level 28 on Normal quest should be a cakewalk and I'll pay attention to the quest this time."

dear lord, that was a bad thought and assumption.  This quest killed me more times than I've died in the last year total.  Champs were just 1-2 shotting me (1800 HP, 225 PRR, 170 AC, 38% dodge, 25% incorperal, 25% displacement) and I had 7 Assimar LOH that heal me for 500 to 1000 per tap.

Freakin' A.  I found the wiki and just doing the bare minimum on each level was painful. 

And then having to Listen to Cordovan doing the DM voice was just the fucking icing on the cake.

NEVER AGAIN!

yep, the basic trash in this quest hits for like 1600 on LE before prr.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #38 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Glad to see this threat got so many people chiming in. My intent was to make people name the quest they found most forgettable. For example tear of dhakaan i don't find bland because of the change in enviroment halfway through and the huge optional objective combined with the good xp. I actually don't mind running that because the quest layout is quite fun.

I didn't go for most-hated quest because that's an entirely different can of worms (and most really bad quests get discussed from time to time). Good intentions is a quest I find quite bland as well but at least they tried to make something out of that (but really, an entirely reused map?)

EDIT: If we're talking about tedious quests fuck creeping death in particulair. Whoever thought that waiting for instatouch the worlds slowest ooze was a good idea deserves a knee to the throat... repeatedly.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2018 at 7:24am by Bushin »  

IP Logged

Fuckwit
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Y’all wrong as fuck on this one. The blandest quest in DDO is the giant cave

Now, most of y’all are probably thinking “Hey fuckwit, that’s not a quest” and you’re right. I don’t even know the actual name of this fucker, I just call it the giant cave. It’s a walkup in Threnal and it is the blandest shit imaginable. Go in a cave. Kill some giants. Done.

This quest is so bland, they couldn’t be fucked adding it to the quest list. There’s no god damn reason for Threnal to have a fucking walkup.

Some of you are probably nodding along, vague memories stirring in your empty skulls. Well guess what? Fuck you, there’s three of these fucking quests. That’s how fucking bland they are.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #40 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Fuckwit wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 10:43pm:

Now, most of y’all are probably thinking “Hey fuckwit, that’s not a quest” and you’re right. I don’t even know the actual name of this fucker, I just call it the giant cave. It’s a walkup in Threnal and it is the blandest shit imaginable. Go in a cave. Kill some giants. Done.

This quest is so bland, they couldn’t be fucked adding it to the quest list. There’s no god damn reason for Threnal to have a fucking walkup.

Some of you are probably nodding along, vague memories stirring in your empty skulls. Well guess what? Fuck you, there’s three of these fucking quests. That’s how fucking bland they are.

Those used to be the endgame loot farm.

I guess that's how fucking new you are.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Fuck you, there’s three of these fucking quests. That’s how fucking bland they are.

They're so bland, I only remembered two of them until this comment.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #42 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 10:01pm
Print Post  

easiest and quickest RXP at level tho.

IP Logged

Bushin
Korthos Resident

Getting too old for this
shit

Reply #43 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 7:27am
Print Post  
You're right.... I completely fucking forgot those quests exist, mainly because they don't award favor. The weird thing is that in all the years after Threnal was released they never introduced a similair non favor super small quest again (or i'm blanking on them)

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  

You know those give reaper xp, right?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #45 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 4:39am
Print Post  

I'll have to agree there...
But initially it wasn't a bland quest... it was The Loot Run.

1 Minute - 1 Chest
some Xp ( unless you ran it too much and got the repeat xp decay to max on it )

rinse, repeat...

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint