Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Best Caster Path? (Read 29874 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Best Caster Path?
Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
The main toon I've been working on was intended to be a strong, reaper ready melee toon (pretty close to getting him to be able to solo pussy reaper or at least survive in the mid range right now with my gear set - but he still doesn't have many PLs or reaper points) but I've decided to switch him over to a caster (at least for awhile) and maybe run some lock lives to boost his reaper points and run some racial lives.

But if I wanted to buff him a bit running 3 to 4 other caster lives, what would be the best selection and in which order?  I'm thinking FvS, Wiz, Sor.  Or is there a better selection order?

I'd also like to create a generic spell caster gear set (and by create I mean slightly modify Rubbinns caster set).  Is it at all do-able to organize it where there's only one piece that can be specifically designed to be switched out for each class?  Like the googles are one of the slavers pieces?

I'll probably switch to another toon for awhile and run a few heroic arti, rogue, monk lives first, but I need to know what to TR this toon into to prep him.

Thanks.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Re: Best Caster Path?
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 6:57pm:
I'm thinking FvS, Wiz, Sor. 

3x Morninglord (Cleric, naturally if you dont have cleric yet.. otherwise.. w/e) = +9 Universal Spellpower, +30 Light/Alignment (for Stricken/Consume.. nom nom nom), +3 Tentacle DC

3x FvS = +3 Spell Penetration, 60 Spell Points -> Honestly, your gear alone should cover more than enough SP, no reason to go out of your way for the past lives for it..
3x Wiz = +6 Spell penetration, +6 Wand dc -> Again, see FvS on SP.
3x Sorc = +3 Evocation, +60 Spell Points -> surprisingly not as useful on a Lock as youd think, only for webs, which is what Tentacle is for.. (Locks inherently have 0 Evocation spells, Therefore making Sorc past life useless on em, save for the Spell Points.. is 3 more lives worth it? Cheesy)

Of the 3 you listed, i honestly wouldnt go for any of them. I would rather pick up the x3 cleric, and since youre doing cleric, might as well knock out morninglord at the same time, past lives. They benefit the Lock hella more than the others do.. IMO

I'd also like to create a generic spell caster gear set (and by create I mean slightly modify Rubbinns caster set).  Is it at all do-able to organize it where there's only one piece that can be specifically designed to be switched out for each class?  Like the googles are one of the slavers pieces?

Sadly, it will require at least 3 pieces to be swapped, spell lore wise - Trinket, Gloves, Weapons (if using Rubbins layout, as i re-iterated int he Caster Tr Train thread for Arganthonius  Here
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:36am by Vendui »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:32am:
3x Morninglord (Cleric, naturally if you dont have cleric yet.. otherwise.. w/e) = +9 Universal Spellpower, +30 Light/Alignment (for Stricken/Consume.. nom nom nom), +3 Tentacle DC

That'll depend on how the epic arti lives go and how quickly I can knock them out and if I go for the best path.  Definitely keep that in mind though

Probably should have been more specific though (my fault, sorry).  Was thinking 3 different classes to get them knocked out in case I ever decide to go for completionist - kind of thinking about killing a bird and a half with one stone, so to speak (might not want to kill that second bird right away, but would like to wound it a little in case I decide to Wink ).

Sadly, it will require at least 3 pieces to be swapped, spell lore wise - Trinket, Gloves, Weapons

That's actually not too bad.  Already figured the weapon would vary by class, so two pieces isn't horrible - as long as I don't have to make a complete set for each class.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Everything has a price.

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Just spell lores/powers need swapping, since you cant put all of it on just the trinket/weapon. Well, you could, but then you would lose out on Dodge, since that cant go on gloves.. but thats up to you. You could take off dodge from the build, and put the Lore from gloves, onto the trinket, thereby making it, for example, acid amp/acid lore/insightful acid trinket. and then the same thing on the mainhand for power 2.. leaving gloves be heal amp and insightful power 2 only.. Would still need to swap out the gloves on some lives, depending on what power you use though. so still best to just keep it as is, and swap all 3 pieces as needed.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:38pm by Vendui »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Ug, what destiny should I start with or does it really matter (fucking hate destinies so much.  Too much time spent grinding XP on worthless destinies ><).

I just finished a barb life.  Do I want to open up the destiny there so I can grab cocoon early on?  Or wait and open it up on a caster life?

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Everything has a price.

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 5:36pm:
Ug, what destiny should I start with or does it really matter (fucking hate destinies so much.  Too much time spent grinding XP on worthless destinies ><).

I just finished a barb life.  Do I want to open up the destiny there so I can grab cocoon early on?  Or wait and open it up on a caster life?

Depends really, if you run reapers, cocoon really wont help you too much, its useful but to an extent due to reduced self heals. Personally, id go for Cotq x3 (Primal), followed by Skill Mastery x3 (martial), x3 Brace (Divine), and then Enchant Weapon x3 (Arcane). the extra 10% spell critical looks nice on the surface, but you should have enough from gear, to make it not as good as the extra 3 implement bonus. (Math required there.. too lazy to math to see which is actually better)

This unlocks the extra fate slot, but not enough points to entirely make use of it just yet.. would need more epic past lives for that.

** The above 4 are the stances i would have active, I would naturally still get x3 on every tree for fate points..
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2018 at 9:18pm by Vendui »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 10:23am
Print Post  
I'd also like to create a generic spell caster gear set

This is what I'm going to do. Ravenloft gear is easy drops. Adherent set is very adaptable to cover different stats and school DCs. Beacon set belt can swap to your spellpower of choise. Still ironing out what all to craft onto the slaver pieces.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1515014735/12#12

Quote:
5-piece adherent + 5-piece slaver + 3-piece beacon
Goggles: Summoner's Specs
Helmet: Slaver (Hardened Hide)
Necklace: Kindred Pendant
Trinket: Slaver
Cloak: Silverthread
Belt: Silverthread/Burnscar
Gloves: Blurfingered
Boots: Slaver
Ring1: Slaver (Spinneret)
Ring2: Skulled Ring
Bracers: Slaver
Armor: Noble's Regalia
Quiver: Alacrity
Shield: Mistfallen
Weapon: Barovian Scepter (or whatever)

3x Sorc = +3 Evocation, +60 Spell Points -> surprisingly not as useful on a Lock as youd think, only for webs, which is what Tentacle is for.. (Locks inherently have 0 Evocation spells, Therefore making Sorc past life useless on em, save for the Spell Points.. is 3 more lives worth it? )

You can't take this guy seriously. Been out of the game too long. He doesn't know that Web and Evards are conjuration or that Evo DCs affect eldritch blast.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Everything has a price.

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:16am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 10:23am:
You can't take this guy seriously. Been out of the game too long. He doesn't know that Web and Evards are conjuration or that Evo DCs affect eldritch blast.

Hms.. why was i under the impression web was evocation.. weird.. still, you dont need sorc for the dcs, gear alone gets you enough dc on it to not care, sorc past lives just make it even more ridiculous..

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
I do have 42+ Evo DC on a level 12 cleric.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

SirValentine
Korthos Resident

Never.

Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2018 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
But if I wanted to buff him a bit running 3 to 4 other caster lives, what would be the best selection and in which order?  I'm thinking FvS, Wiz, Sor.  Or is there a better selection order?

Throwing one Wiz life in early on is good.  +2 Spell Pen isn't useless, and you also get the option for +1 to all DCs.

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
3x FvS = +3 Spell Penetration, 60 Spell Points -> Honestly, your gear alone should cover more than enough SP, no reason to go out of your way for the past lives for it..
3x Wiz = +6 Spell penetration, +6 Wand dc -> Again, see FvS on SP.
3x Sorc = +3 Evocation, +60 Spell Points -> surprisingly not as useful on a Lock as youd think, only for webs, which is what Tentacle is for.. (Locks inherently have 0 Evocation spells, Therefore making Sorc past life useless on em, save for the Spell Points.. is 3 more lives worth it? Cheesy)

Of the 3 you listed, i honestly wouldnt go for any of them.
Here

This is so wrong :-D the only usable warlock sell without spellpen check is web. And as warlock you never want go for triple spell pen feat line. 9 spell pen from pastlifes making a GREAT difference (literally 45%). Wizard pastlifes is much better in this term: great feat, better spellpen per life and neat offensive wands DC: with W&S mastery you can use web wands like a boss at lower levels: DC will be same to better over actual spellcasters. Also helping to kill faster those rats in tormented. 60/120 sp from pastlifes are not needed, yet not bad to have.
Both cleric and sorc pastlifes are not needed on heroics. Warlocks are using evocation DC for their pact damage, yet it counts as lvl 9 spell so basic DC 19. Is much better than any warlock spell anyway, yet if you dont wanna see on epics and legendary save save save save while you are doing pfft pfft you need to slot evocation focus and sorc pastlifes are helping there too.
Overall for any arcane, not warlock only, pastlifes needed are: 1) 3x wizard 2) 2x racial stat 3) completionist for feat 4) energy criticals or rapid arcane epic pls x3 5) cleric and sorc pastlifes 6) defensive padtlifes: prr/mrr/ac/hp/saves

For divines its slightly differrent cause, say, druid has only single one spell that uses spell pen check. Most offensive spells are evocation and conjuration, making sorc and cleric lifes more needed.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Rzyman wrote on Sep 8th, 2018 at 9:00pm:
This is so wrong :-D the only usable warlock sell without spellpen check is web. And as warlock you never want go for triple spell pen feat line. 9 spell pen from pastlifes making a GREAT difference (literally 45%). Wizard pastlifes is much better in this term: great feat, better spellpen per life and neat offensive wands DC: with W&S mastery you can use web wands like a boss at lower levels: DC will be same to better over actual spellcasters. Also helping to kill faster those rats in tormented. 60/120 sp from pastlifes are not needed, yet not bad to have.
Both cleric and sorc pastlifes are not needed on heroics. Warlocks are using evocation DC for their pact damage, yet it counts as lvl 9 spell so basic DC 19. Is much better than any warlock spell anyway, yet if you dont wanna see on epics and legendary save save save save while you are doing pfft pfft you need to slot evocation focus and sorc pastlifes are helping there too.
Overall for any arcane, not warlock only, pastlifes needed are: 1) 3x wizard 2) 2x racial stat 3) completionist for feat 4) energy criticals or rapid arcane epic pls x3 5) cleric and sorc pastlifes 6) defensive padtlifes: prr/mrr/ac/hp/saves

For divines its slightly differrent cause, say, druid has only single one spell that uses spell pen check. Most offensive spells are evocation and conjuration, making sorc and cleric lifes more needed.

Thanks for taking the time to respond because I never got an actual answer on this one.

As you mentioned in the other thread - 8 months later I have figured most of it out (and lingering questions I usually just bother 5FS or Rubbinns for).

Solid advice on the epic past lives and what I'm in the middle of doing right now.  If I'd know how quickly I can knock out epic lives, I wouldn't have wasted so much time in heroics.

My present plan is to grab one wiz life via a left over +20 heart and then run maybe 2 cleric and 2 fvs lifes for a slight boost.  Yes, I know that's not the optimal path but I still have zero interest in playing a sorc or a wiz.  I'm not big on instant kills or needing a group to balance me out (though, oddly enough, my builds are always made to balance out a group when I'm not soloing).

I'll run cleric and FvS because they're classes that look fairly fun or interesting and my end game isn't r10 - I just like playing.  If I can hit being useful in r5-r7 and able to solo everything on r1-r3, I'll be happy.

But again, thanks for the response.  Solid advice  Smiley

IP Logged

Rzyman
Waterworks Kobold

lovers gonna love

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Sep 9th, 2018 at 3:04pm:
My present plan is to grab one wiz life via a left over +20 heart and then run maybe 2 cleric and 2 fvs lifes for a slight boost.  Yes, I know that's not the optimal path but I still have zero interest in playing a sorc or a wiz.  I'm not big on instant kills or needing a group to balance me out (though, oddly enough, my builds are always made to balance out a group when I'm not soloing).

I do understand you, most people are playing terrible classes they dislike, yet still, such a waste of heart :-D If I've you I'd run 12 wiz 8 fighter wf for heroic wiz pastlife or sort of repeater build, or, maybe, monk. Just take first wizzy level at 2-3 with extend and 3 10 min buffs you'll rock on low level content. Again, its extra cleave for literally one AP. Once you hit 8 fighter and 12 character level you'll become strong enough to carry self on heroics and extra wizard levels will mean more buffs and better repair spells. Self-repairing is awesome on r1 mate ^^ just slot this repair spellpower ruby and enjoy Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint