Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Leveling quickly on low dps lives? (Read 6218 times)
ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Leveling quickly on low dps lives?
Apr 20th, 2019 at 3:06am
Print Post  
Short of lucking out and finding a great group to run with  when leveling in heroics (pretty rare these days), is there any way to level quickly on low dps lives?

I'm leveling a monk at the moment and it's a total snore fest before level 6 (whirlwind attack) even with full twink gear. Really picks up at level 10+ but soloing some quests still takes much longer than I would like (attack on stormreach has some pretty tanky trash mobs i think).

Half the time when I get a party going, I still have to solo everything because most puggers in heroics are permanent soul stones or worse. Tried the new amber temple with puggers running around and aggroing everything? Very fun and exciting.

At least monks can kill stuff, not looking forward to soloing on a bard life.

Can't afford ottos by the way.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Re: Leveling quickly on low dps lives?
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 8:44am
Print Post  
10 warlock, 10 whatever.  You will get the past life of the 10 whatever.  Easy button.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Agree with raybob.  Any class PL can be obtained with 10 Warlock/10 whatever.   Or 10 Artificer/10 Whatever as an X-Bow build.  Or do a dagger vistani build for a melee (like the bard).   It will give if some juice.

IP Logged

TornadoJoe
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
8 whatever/6 arti/6 rogue was a standard build before warlock. i could see if still being effective but you do the 6s first

IP Logged

Ulysses
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Honestly best right now is any class, 41 Ap in Inquisitive and a stat to dmg (int from harper or wis from falconry).

Farm Ratcatcher from Threnal, don't wimp out and skip this step as it is extremely more powerful than other heroic xbows. Literally might be the best xbow until 29 unless you have epic storm.

Sprinkle in low hanging fruit from whatever class you are doing (eldritch knight stuff, swashbuckling, barb extra action boost, rogue mechanic enhancements, rune arm, favored soul/cleric favored weapon, paladin defensive stance, fighter defense/kensai dmg, monk sneak attack and 1 point wonders, druid beguile et cetera).

Use rest of the Ap for racial enhancements and bam you are a powerful ranged, high defense, super high single target dps and extreme multi target dps once you get ips.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2019 at 1:18am by Ulysses »  

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Do people really do that 10 warlock/10 whatever thing? I thought that was just a meme. Never seen anyone do it...how does it work? I mean, you do the 10 warlock levels first i guess, and level with eldritch blast...but after level 10 when you start taking the other class, your warlock stuff stops scaling. And I guess you can forget about doing anything at cap for rxp.

IP Logged

Humble Pie
Korthos Resident

Never settle.

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Apr 21st, 2019 at 4:11pm:
Do people really do that 10 warlock/10 whatever thing? I thought that was just a meme. Never seen anyone do it...how does it work? I mean, you do the 10 warlock levels first i guess, and level with eldritch blast...but after level 10 when you start taking the other class, your warlock stuff stops scaling. And I guess you can forget about doing anything at cap for rxp.

I am proof that this method works very very well.  I did all 3 lives of Wizard, 3 lives of Sorcerer, 3 lives of FVS, and 3 lives of Cleric using this method.  It took me approximately 1 week - 10 days (per life), depending on my real life schedule.  Remember, you still have all the gear you farmed/created for a warlock, and all the weapons already in stock.  All your past lives continue to be useful.  At level 10, a warlock gets Evards (black/purple tentacle spell) which usually holds (with Web) until its time to TR.  About the only thing that it does not have is Insta-Kills, but I put the feats toward spell-pen, and it works out well.  I did 10 levels of Warlock, 8 levels of my chosen class, held at 18, then TR'd when I got enough XP to reach 20.  Oh, I really only run Reaper, mostly R1-R2 ('cause its faster), but occasionally will run up to R5 with a good group. Very rarely did I die.

So yes, this is a very viable and easy way to get racial lives out of the way, and not have to actually run any of them.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Apr 21st, 2019 at 4:11pm:

I've never done it but I've run with people who were doing it.  It worked just fine, better than fine it was a no-brainer.  This was all pre--multiple-nerfs Warlock, but it probably would work almost as well today.  You've got it right, 10 Lock followed by 10 in the class you want the pl in since lock was last and has least precedence for pl.  Knowing then what I know now I'd have dropped the coins on the class and done the same to knock out a pile of pls with ease.

Quote:
And I guess you can forget about doing anything at cap for rxp.

Yeah.  You're a broken build at 20th so you just tr and do it again.  Again this was long before reaper.  I haven't seen anyone do this since all the lock nerfs but I'm betting that you could still take a first life char and streak r1 1-20 fairly easily and quickly.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2019 at 8:38pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Humble Pie wrote on Apr 21st, 2019 at 7:32pm:
So yes, this is a very viable and easy way to get racial lives out of the way, and not have to actually run any of them.

And then we have astonishing amount of clueless people with 50+ lives. r1 heroic EN epics superstars, sadly even old timers.
Pure sorc, wizard, cleric,fvs, barbie, tempest, monk, whatever will shit on such build - no spell pen, no DCs, not much useful spells, no reaper and champ control.  And is useful past 20+ or high cap reaper.

I don't get these "multiclasses" either. But then you can read 6 fighter splash on barbie for "defense" on the motherforums.

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Apr 21st, 2019 at 8:51pm:
And then we have astonishing amount of clueless people with 50+ lives. r1 heroic EN epics superstars, sadly even old timers.
Pure sorc, wizard, cleric,fvs, barbie, tempest, monk, whatever will shit on such build - no spell pen, no DCs, not much useful spells, no reaper and champ control.  And is useful past 20+ or high cap reaper.

I don't get these "multiclasses" either. But then you can read 6 fighter splash on barbie for "defense" on the shithole DDO forums.

I realize I am out of my depth by only just "returning" but the point of the 10/10 split is not to be the best at something beyond 20. The 10/10 is simply the easiest, fastest way, to 20 for attaining PLs.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2019 at 11:24pm by Vendui »  

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Apr 21st, 2019 at 8:51pm:

the point of the builds is to solo from 1 to 20 in the fastest possible way. 
So, this eliminates:
1) doing anything higher than reaper 1
2) Doing High Reaper
3) Doing epic quests.

10 Warlock/10 Whatever (except Druid... don't do it with Druid.. you'll need 11 druid) will allow you to burn through all the quests you need to do in heroics.

At 10 warlock you will have Evard's and enough DPS with Cone (Utterdark blast and all enhancement that improve Light).

You don't need Reaper CC... since you can easily kite them without getting hit.

Some people however, are so OCD that they think they need to have every perfect to run an R1 streak to level 20.  Those people can't just deal with "good enough" to get through heroics. 

You'll burn through heroics easily (again, if the goal is just to get 20 as fast as possible and not trying to maximize reaper XP or do quests that are not optimal for XP.)

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 10:39am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Apr 22nd, 2019 at 8:37am:
10 Warlock/10 Whatever (except Druid... don't do it with Druid.. you'll need 11 druid)

Is this because you need Druid levels to be the highest number in order to get the Druid past life? It's an exception to the 10Warlock/10Whatever rule?
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2019 at 10:39am by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Ulysses
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Which past life you get in the case of a level tie goes in alphabetical order for all original classes, after that it goes by oldest released class priority. Druid was released after warlock so warlock has "priority" in a tie.

More under "dominant class" at top of page here:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Apr 22nd, 2019 at 3:10pm:
Which past life you get in the case of a level tie goes in alphabetical order for all original classes, after that it goes by oldest released class priority. Druid was released after warlock so warlock has "priority" in a tie.

More under "dominant class" at top of page here:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats

TY!

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #14 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Ulysses wrote on Apr 22nd, 2019 at 3:10pm:
Druid was released after warlock so warlock

No it wasn't.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Dominant class
When you perform a Heroic or Iconic True Reincarnation, your character gains the Past Life of your dominant class, the class that is shown as your character's class icon in parties. This is determined by:

the class you have the most levels of.
In the case of a tie, the dominant class is the first listed on this list (the one with the lowest number):
Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Fighter
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Wizard
Monk
Favored Soul
Artificer
Warlock
Druid
That is: alphabetical for the original 9 classes, then new classes added at the end in (rough*) order of release.source
* Warlock is dominant over Druid when their levels are tied, despite Druid being released before Warlock. This is confirmed by the order presented at the Life-Shaper, and also Warlock is the icon displayed in the party panel in a tie.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #16 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on Apr 21st, 2019 at 11:24pm:
I realize I am out of my depth by only just "returning" but the point of the 10/10 split is not to be the best at something beyond 20. The 10/10 is simply the easiest, fastest way, to 20 for attaining PLs.

Wipe doesn't need to understand a topic to have a strong opinion on it.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Vaultrunner
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Hi.

Levelling quickly or having fun while levelling ? For both of those I believe you shall solo for enjoying the runs.

Players are to chat at DDO not to team up. Why ?

They will zerg and die, go smoke and troll-lure monsters top of you. Players may simply leave without a word loosing connection or vanish due to an urgent issue real life.

It will take double time to finish a quest when you try to end a quest.

If you have a team of long time friends then Teams work solid.

Fun facts:

The 'Reaper' mode was found to support the 'Hjeal meh!' DPS whales of the society to make them buy more cakes and spend more cash when they troll amongst themselves. Well company needs to make cash out of something (shrugs)...

My words may sound harsh, but I am being honest. These are the facts.

As a returning player I believe you will remeber the Old school style:

Human Rogue/Barb or Rogue/Wizard with 1 or 2 levels of fighter.

Warlock and Artificer if you like playing 'Hold my hand gummy bear' baby sit build.

Fair warning(Not a troll): Avoid especially the LFG teams build out with those  two classes. You will see what I mean if you ever find the chance to run with a team consist of pure or splashed version of those two classes.

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2019 at 9:26pm by Vaultrunner »  

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #18 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Apr 23rd, 2019 at 2:50pm:
Wipe doesn't need to understand a topic to have a strong opinion on it.

What's the topic here ? Low dps lives in heroics ? And that might be what class or build ? Because almost everything is roflstomp zerg and every decent melee or caster is faster and easier than shitty lock 10 multiclass.

IP Logged

Petik
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 5:41am
Print Post  
The 10 warlock 10 whatewer doesnt feel right for me Shocked
You will be seriously gimped those last few levels before 20.
And suggesting to doing sorcerer life as 10 warlock 10 sorc is ridiculous. Pure sorcerer will be alot stronger at lvl 18 compared to 10warlock 8 sorc Shocked and dont even see any weak spot for sorc in whole 1-20 lvl range.
If you want to "cheat" some classlives you see as too boring and/or too weak you can always go Inquisitive for example (it progress to 20 no matter what classes you use).
Or if bored with ranged on monk you can always pretend you are not a monk grab SoS and mix in kensei for crit and damage and cleave your way to 20 Cheesy
But picking something that stops progress copletely after 10 ?

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Petik wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 5:41am:
The 10 warlock 10 whatewer doesnt feel right for me Shocked
You will be seriously gimped those last few levels before 20.
And suggesting to doing sorcerer life as 10 warlock 10 sorc is ridiculous. Pure sorcerer will be alot stronger at lvl 18 compared to 10warlock 8 sorc Shocked and dont even see any weak spot for sorc in whole 1-20 lvl range.
If you want to "cheat" some classlives you see as too boring and/or too weak you can always go Inquisitive for example (it progress to 20 no matter what classes you use).
Or if bored with ranged on monk you can always pretend you are not a monk grab SoS and mix in kensei for crit and damage and cleave your way to 20 Cheesy
But picking something that stops progress copletely after 10 ?

Inquisitve might be the new warlock for burning through heroic past lives.

However you cherry-picked one class to make your point that the 10 Warlock/10 whatever won't work.

OP was asking about low DPS classes.  If there's a particular class you don't like to play or don't know how to play well, then do 10 Warlock/10 whatever.  if  you can play it well, then just play that class and have fun.

it might be noted that low level sorcs could have a bad time and if you are stopping to shrine in some quests all the time because you didn't take advantage of the anniversary dice/cards and don't have 20,000 Mnemonic potions then sorc could be slower to level.

If you are struggling at levels 15-18 with 10 Warlock/10 whatever on R1, then you just need to Git Gud!
Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:38am by bob the builder »  

IP Logged

Petik
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 5:44am
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:27am:
Inquisitve might be the new warlock for burning through heroic past lives. ...

This i agree with Cheesy

I used sorc no to cherrypick but because ManyCookies was suggesting (wrote he used on) exactly this and on sorcerer it looks ecpecially awfull choice to me Cheesy

Its not about you will be "struggling" at lvl 18 ... you just will be considerably slower .. and thats oposite of wat you want.
You used example with sorc stopping for shrine. I will not do speculation about right geared sorc dont need to stop at this level but suppose you will need to stop sometimes.
But whats the difference if sorc instakills everything with AoE while sprinting and then stops for 5 sec to shrine vs gimped warlock will need more time to kill on every encounter ?

IMHO the 10 warlock /10 anything played as 10 warlock ignoring the other 10 is considerably weak at high heroic compared to mostly all things that dont ignore 1/2 of their levels. You will still have about 60-70% blasting power of pure warlock between lvl 16-20 depending on talents so you will be OKist. But personally i dont think warlocks are so OP that even gimped by 30-40% they are so stronger than other classes that this will be your best option.

But in the end it depends on personal preferences i think. You will be able to do the past life and if you like endless blasting with warlock go for it.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Apr 26th, 2019 at 6:26am
Print Post  
I never suggested running 10 warlock/10 sorc though. Infact, the whole 10 warlock thing was not my idea.

IP Logged

imanoob
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 12:52am
Print Post  
The only advantage of 10 warlock/10 whatever is lack of gearing. Pure classes, geared decently (even cannith crafting will get you there) will be superior.

I did a few lives of Pastlifenmo back in the day, but that build is now dead:
http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1372284751/0

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:27am:
Inquisitve might be the new warlock for burning through heroic past lives.

Sorc or any vorpal repeater, or a sorc with a vorpal repeater, do the same.

The point is to identify ways to run racials or heroic lives. 

For that you want AOE or strong single target damage.  Warlock is just a no-brainer given cone and no mana required for eldritch blast.  Sorc has the same aoe appeal.  Repeater is also strong because of the 3 shots, and ofc inquisitive is just the new repeater.  Monk or a swf build served for focused single target damage, and also twf for an approximation of spell aoe.

This is of course before reaper and the nerf of cleave/glancing damage.  Post-reaper spell aoe is probably a more attractive prospect, but inquisitive is the new hotness and might take the lead until the inevitable multiple nerfs roll around.

« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:10pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint