Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Thrower Builds? (Read 8153 times)
Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Re: Thrower Builds?
Reply #25 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 2:08am
Print Post  
makar wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:39am:
To figure out whether ranged power or doubleshot matters more, is simply a matter of doing dojo testing. In my experience, there are very few builds where the doubleshot is superior to ranged power for boosting (especially if you are already using one of the throwing double shot boosts). Personally I think 1.5 doubleshot is about equal to 1 ranged power on most of the builds we are talking about (this is still eyeballing / papermath right now, so I might be off by a bit).

Good points!  I do test there myself, and I would hazard that this is one of those builds that does, not only because of it's very high doubleshot and high RP but more importantly because it's attacks are AOE all along the flight path. Not only are each one of its attacks actually resolved as 3-5 attacks but each of them is a AOE that attacks all the mobs around the targets hit in flight path, that includes the extra effects of special ranged attacks. With the attack acting like a wide paint brush along the flight path of the attack the Damage output climbs exponentially, and if you farmed enough Force trap parts you may find yourself giggling.

Definitely not endgame or even post level 20, but up until then pretty darn great!  Thanks for starting a great thread and gpod luck with whatever you run! and make sure to report back here with your impressions as you play and tweak,
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2020 at 2:09am by Bishop »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #26 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
makar wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:35am:
I need them to put lamma up before I'll decide, but "fun" is a big factor for me as well (so long as its still competitive), so I'm actually leaning towards the alch split now.

SD is fun in general right now because so many of the abilities are "broken" in a way that they work for almost any build, though shiradi is still the best imo (fury situationally for certain quests/raids).

I'm a bit confused by your split you list here. I'm not sure the 2 rogue / evasion is worth the trade off of MRR cap (for endgame - also one of the reasons people are avoiding monk based throwers)? It sounds like a fun build, strong consistent damage but it does raises the question of whether or not that's worth the trade off of burst. I've found that in addition to burst being fun, it is extremely necessary nowadays for dealing with doom reapers. The loss of sniper shot here seems like it would hurt?

Anyways, thanks for the productive convo - it has me actually spreadsheeting again in prep for lamma, which is to say that I'm excited to try some new stuff.

You are right and I am also fighting myself on the evasion split. The issue is I don't know if I can get enough HP/MRR to make it worth not taking. There's still a lot of things Evasion helps with, though you're right it's far less of an invincibility trait than it use to be (I am learning the hard way after being gone a couple of years in end game raids).

Maybe I should consider 14 Pally/6 Fvs and go heavy armor...but I don't actually have much experience with heavy armor builds at this point. What's the PRR/MRR and Saves that make it worth it over evasion? I'm more concerned with survivability than I ever used to be

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Unless you just like being ranged or different ( or have to fulfill another role ) there is no reason to not be running a pally or a bear right now. They're just stupid, two handed, eyes closed, whirling dervishes of aoe damage. While ranged plays this cutesy, elegant game of trying to line things up in orderly columns, the two handed fighters are playing on path of exile clear speed.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #28 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Bishop wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:14am:
+30% doubleshot is lame?   Smiley how so? unlike the speed or haste boosts it delivers exactly what it promises not fractions. It's an additional +1 threat from bard, plus the 11% doubleshot pure ranger or others won't get, while still getting all the double shot of ranger. 

should be using damage boost on a thrower, don't know anything about throwing pots for TRs, that is not something I have ever tried or likely to. These discussions are default about end game, or at least my responses are.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #29 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 1:51pm:
While ranged plays this cutesy, elegant game of trying to line things up in orderly columns

Roflmao. I've stopped using IPS almost completely because the procs were causing major FPS lag and stutter for the whole party.

Let Big Chad Melees in first and snipe a dangerous champ/reaper. Easier to control the fight around Venges too. UNless i'm trying to be funny  Grin

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #30 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 3:18pm:
Roflmao. I've stopped using IPS almost completely because the procs were causing major FPS lag and stutter for the whole party.

Let Big Chad Melees in first and snipe a dangerous champ/reaper. Easier to control the fight around Venges too. UNless i'm trying to be funny  Grin

yeah it's a great point you both make about general meta, especially R8-10 end game. You don't want to be kiting anymore, you want to be snipering/bursting where it counts

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #31 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 2:00pm:
should be using damage boost on a thrower, don't know anything about throwing pots for TRs, that is not something I have ever tried or likely to. These discussions are default about end game, or at least my responses are.

Oh, I thought you would know, no harm done!  You should try it sometime, 30D6 force X 3 per target in AOE flight path is great fun.

IP Logged

Doogy
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Unless you just like being ranged or different ( or have to fulfill another role ) there is no reason to not be running a pally or a bear right now. They're just stupid, two handed, eyes closed, whirling dervishes of aoe damage. While ranged plays this cutesy, elegant game of trying to line things up in orderly columns, the two handed fighters are playing on path of exile clear speed.

Or an Assassin- just flank the Pally's\Bears and kill anything outside of their OAE, and once every 3 minutes, consume the entire room, and claim victory Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint