Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Racial TR Build Advice (Read 4277 times)
Disarmonia
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Racial TR Build Advice
Aug 3rd, 2020 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Been gone from the game for several updates and on the verge of returning once I get caught up to speed. I'll probably wind up powering through the latter half of my racial past lives, and want to get my build ironed out.

Skimming over things, strikethrough changes seem to be the most significant change, so are THF builds the new flavor of the month?

Really, just looking to hash out a build to reliably zerg through at the very least r3+ since past builds are either nerfed or sub-optimal at this point.

TLDR; Been out of the loop for a minute and looking for advice on builds to crank out some racial pastlives.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Re: Racial TR Build Advice
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Disarmonia wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 1:41pm:
Been gone from the game for several updates and on the verge of returning once I get caught up to speed. I'll probably wind up powering through the latter half of my racial past lives, and want to get my build ironed out.

Skimming over things, strikethrough changes seem to be the most significant change, so are THF builds the new flavor of the month?

Really, just looking to hash out a build to reliably zerg through at the very least r3+ since past builds are either nerfed or sub-optimal at this point.

TLDR; Been out of the loop for a minute and looking for advice on builds to crank out some racial pastlives.

Easiest Buttons:

MELEE: THF Pally or THF Bear

SPELL: FIRE Sorc, Elec sorc (assuming PLs for elec DCs), or Warlock

RANGE: Rog Mech, or Inquisitive (lots of options)

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2020 at 1:55pm by Head-Meat »  

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Curious about how melee bear plays in heroics 1-10, 15 to 20 to 20 to 29?

IP Logged

Disarmonia
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Easiest Buttons:

Interesting to see Pally listed - what make's them favored over others for THF, such as barb?

edit: Oh wow, I just saw the new tooltips for THF feats... I'm not a mathematician but that scaling seems insane.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2020 at 5:08pm by Disarmonia »  

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Disarmonia wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 4:46pm:
Interesting to see Pally listed - what make's them favored over others for THF, such as barb?

Divine Retribution, self healing and slight damage edge versus undead.
Versus Sprint boost and Blood Tribute spam and Blood Strength when you feel like temp hp is not enough.

Not much difference either way, melee is completely brainless point and click in heroics .

Also, recommending ranged as "easy button" compared to other options ? What game are you playing ?
I'd understand motherforums being about year or two "late" but not The Vault lol.

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2020 at 6:08pm by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Disarmonia
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 6:06pm:
Divine Retribution, self healing and slight damage edge versus undead.
Versus Sprint boost and Blood Tribute spam and Blood Strength when you feel like temp hp is not enough.

Not much difference either way, melee is completely brainless point and click in heroics .

Also, recommending ranged as "easy button" compared to other options ? What game are you playing ?
I'd understand shithole DDO forums being about year or two "late" but not The Vault lol.

Yea, the THF/strikethrough changes are new to me, but on paper it definitely seems like ranged would be backseat options lol.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 2:44pm:
Curious about how melee bear plays in heroics 1-10, 15 to 20 to 20 to 29?

We... haven't exactly been playing them 1-10. 17-20 however, Meat's advice is spot-on.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 3:13am
Print Post  
It sounds like you want to get to cap instead of TRing at 20 so i guess it really depends on what gear you have and what you want to play at cap.

Sorc or alch is probably the fastest leveling option now and they are still good at cap, which is why you see so many of those. Wiz is another popular option. Warlock seems to be less popular these days after Sorc got buffed, since you kill mobs way faster.

THF is better now, but still way slower than casters when leveling. Biggest issue at cap is that they need to be in melee range to deal damage, when the meta in high reaper is either to jump on a safe spot and range the boss in total safety, or kite. If you are in melee range, you are going to take damage (unless your group can DPS the boss down before meld expires), and given the choice between taking no damage and taking damage, its pretty obvious which choice is better...

IP Logged

Disarmonia
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 9:27am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Aug 4th, 2020 at 3:13am:
It sounds like you want to get to cap instead of TRing at 20 so i guess it really depends on what gear you have and what you want to play at cap.

Sorc or alch is probably the fastest leveling option now and they are still good at cap, which is why you see so many of those. Wiz is another popular option. Warlock seems to be less popular these days after Sorc got buffed, since you kill mobs way faster.

THF is better now, but still way slower than casters when leveling. Biggest issue at cap is that they need to be in melee range to deal damage, when the meta in high reaper is either to jump on a safe spot and range the boss in total safety, or kite. If you are in melee range, you are going to take damage (unless your group can DPS the boss down before meld expires), and given the choice between taking no damage and taking damage, its pretty obvious which choice is better...

Getting to cap is not at all a concern - My only focus is to power through a bunch of racial past lives. Thus why I asked what the more optimal builds are since I've been out of the loop since some notable changes have occurred.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
If you are just going to 20 and TRing, then just do sorc/alch.

There is no substitute for one shotting 6+ mobs at once.

IP Logged

Disarmonia
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
So after some experimentation.. I'm conflicted.

Obviously sorcs are in a good spot, but personally not keen on playing casters, so not really concerned there.

After rolling my pally and going through a racial life, the THF/pally changes were definitely noticeable, but it still seems like even with said changes, melee can't even come remotely close to past lives in which I went inq or other similar ranged builds.

Don't get me wrong, there wasn't any issues with pally or being melee per se, but the speed/efficiency was noticeable lower.

Am I retarded and missing something completely? Because it seems like the overwhelming consensus is that THF builds are king (excluding sorcs).

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Disarmonia wrote on Aug 9th, 2020 at 1:29pm:
So after some experimentation.. I'm conflicted.

Obviously sorcs are in a good spot, but personally not keen on playing casters, so not really concerned there.

After rolling my pally and going through a racial life, the THF/pally changes were definitely noticeable, but it still seems like even with said changes, melee can't even come remotely close to past lives in which I went inq or other similar ranged builds.

Don't get me wrong, there wasn't any issues with pally or being melee per se, but the speed/efficiency was noticeable lower.

Am I retarded and missing something completely? Because it seems like the overwhelming consensus is that THF builds are king (excluding sorcs).

At least with pally, you wade in, gather mobs, and hit holy retribution. AOE melee instakill. Speed in heroics is like 70% aoe trash killing. Maybe 85%.

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Disarmonia
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Aug 9th, 2020 at 1:37pm:
At least with pally, you wade in, gather mobs, and hit holy retribution. AOE melee instakill. Speed in heroics is like 70% aoe trash killing. Maybe 85%.

Yea, there was definitely an uptick once hitting level 12, but leading up to there definitely still felt way more sluggish than ranged. Obviously things snowball for most builds around that point between gear/enhancements - idk, just felt a little underwhelming until then though.

IP Logged

Nuic
DQ Assaulter

OMEGALUL

Reply #13 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
If you're only going for racials, bite the bullet and just go sorc. I ran pally for a life to see how it would go, I averaged 25% slower than my sorc for quest completion times.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Nuic wrote on Aug 9th, 2020 at 9:20pm:
If you're only going for racials, bite the bullet and just go sorc. I ran pally for a life to see how it would go, I averaged 25% slower than my sorc for quest completion times.

^This.

I thought it would be fun to try out a lot of weird builds, but honestly sorc is just easier. If you are boxing you can stick to quests where few/no things have fire resist, and then its just meteor swarm + delayed Blast Fireball = win. 400k XP takes about 3 hours even if you suck.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #15 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
He said he doesn’t like casters, but sorcs are just faster than pretty much everything.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Well lets ask this: are you just playing 18-20 or are you needing full-blown 1-20 builds?

IP Logged

Disarmonia
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 10:47am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Aug 10th, 2020 at 12:16am:
Well lets ask this: are you just playing 18-20 or are you needing full-blown 1-20 builds?

1-20 builds for the time being.

Head-Meat wrote on Aug 9th, 2020 at 11:48pm:
He said he doesn’t like casters, but sorcs are just faster than pretty much everything.

Honestly the main reason I'm avoiding sorc/casters is due to not wanting have to go back and accumulate all the gear that I already have for melee/ranged.

I'm sure most caster gear could prolly be smoothed out just from basic crafts and what not, but idk, maybe sunk cost fallacy is hitting me lol

Edit: Also, don't get me wrong - Pally is super satisfying to play from about 10-12 onwards, but 1-10 just felt pretty meh. I guess I'd just ideally want something that scales a little more smoothly, rather than going from average to faceroll halfway through.. I might be thinking to idealistically though.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2020 at 3:01pm by Disarmonia »  

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #18 - Aug 11th, 2020 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Easiest Buttons:

Bear is AMAZING, simply AMAZING.

IP Logged

Disarmonia
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Aug 12th, 2020 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Bishop wrote on Aug 11th, 2020 at 8:48pm:
Bear is AMAZING, simply AMAZING.

I was considering giving bear a run next life.. is it more common now with the changes to go pure druid? Or split with barb?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Aug 17th, 2020 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
My only real advice is: do not play a sword and shield horc paladin.

That was the WORST life ever...

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Aug 20th, 2020 at 12:12am
Print Post  
With all the new quests out, anyone have an updated quest list for heroic? Seems most of the good xp quests are the same, plus now there is Sharn.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #22 - Aug 20th, 2020 at 1:44am
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Aug 20th, 2020 at 12:12am:
With all the new quests out, anyone have an updated quest list for heroic? Seems most of the good xp quests are the same, plus now there is Sharn.

One and done on R1 every quest at your level-2 until you run out of quests or cap at 1 xp away from holding 2 levels. Then level and repeat.

(This means skipping content with reaper disabled: Korthos, Tangleroot, Mask of Deception, etc)

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Aug 20th, 2020 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 20th, 2020 at 1:44am:
One and done on R1 every quest at your level-2 until you run out of quests or cap at 1 xp away from holding 2 levels. Then level and repeat.

(This means skipping content with reaper disabled: Korthos, Tangleroot, Mask of Deception, etc)

Thanks, but that's quite obvious, even for us returning to the game. Unfortunately, there are more quests available at each level then is required to cap the level.

So I'm looking to figure out 2 things. With the recent quest xp redistribution, are any of the old obscure quests good to run now? Also, out of the new quests (several updates worth) which are good for xp?

This is for heroic.

Thank you!

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Not sure when not running 50% pots.
the newer quests added really aren't much faster to run for their XP... plus you have to learn them to find fastest path through.
Levels 1 through 4 for me:
Kobold's New Ringleader
Stealthy Repo
Information is Key
Durks
Buthchers
Library tome
Garrisons
Those two level 2s in the market place.
By that point I'm either level 3 or 4.

Then WW and STK
which get me at level 5.
then all the quests in 3BC except the protect the boat one.
At that point I'm level 7 (but that is with 50% pots), so you could hit some other 4s and 5s at that point (the old standbys)

I do the sentinels chain just for 3BC saga.
Then Pit, tear, gwylans, stromvauld, spies in the house, deleras, haunted library (if a group, then Xorian cipher)
At that point I'm level 9.
If a group, plume mountain.
all von 1 thorugh 4
now I'm 10 maybe 11.
shadow crypt 4x (R1, E, H, N) (get a second account with an opener while all quests are free)

Then it is level 12 and I'm to do all barovia (for saga).
Then Relic, Lords march chain1 and chain2
Memories larcener
all of GH
Orchard quests and Litany
grimmm and Barrett

Then I'm usually level 15 or 16 or 17 and I'm off to Sharn for both of those sagas.

then maybe some clean up...
if not 50% pot, you still have Lords of dust, Wheloon, even Meridia quests

nothing really in the new quests worth doing... they aren't much faster, even if you know shortest path.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint