Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ranger tempest - Is it a trap? (Read 5011 times)
Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Ranger tempest - Is it a trap?
Aug 6th, 2020 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Playing one right now, str. I do so very little damage compared to nukers, and because i have to be in melee i get squashed way too often by a stray arrow hitting my pinky toe.

What am i doing wrong? Or is that par for the course for this shit?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: Ranger tempest - Is it a trap?
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 1:35am
Print Post  
What level? Leveling up Tempest wasn't fun. Hows your gear? Melee in general is kind of dependent on uber named items.

Kind of sucks that they gave away tempest's unique hallmark ability to every THF ever for free.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2020 at 1:36am by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 8:44am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 7th, 2020 at 1:35am:
What level? Leveling up Tempest wasn't fun. Hows your gear? Melee in general is kind of dependent on uber named items.

Kind of sucks that they gave away tempest's unique hallmark ability to every THF ever for free.

Level 30, working on getting the named gear shit. I do notice a huge improvement every time i get a part, but he still gets oneshotted more than i find acceptable while doing a lot less in comparison to most others.

IP Logged

StratleThot
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Without knowing specifics; such as your gear, PLs, point spread, destiny, feats, etc...its kind of difficult to pinpoint your deficiencies.

Tempest has taken a back seat compared to other melee classes, but I still play one; albeit sexy dexy.  And she does very well soloing mid-reapers and R10 capable with a competent grp.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Tempest is still good. It's just that the THFers are now king. You might like that more, and the higher prr/mrr is what you probably are after.

Junk's thread is still viable, gear might be different now a bit than from all the sets posted in that thread, but the thread is solid. Lot of good players posted there while playing tempests.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1533080274

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 7th, 2020 at 4:08pm:
Tempest is still good. It's just that the THFers are now king. You might like that more, and the higher prr/mrr is what you probably are after.

Junk's thread is still viable, gear might be different now a bit than from all the sets posted in that thread, but the thread is solid. Lot of good players posted there while playing tempests.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1533080274

Thanks, this is good. And yeah, i suppose im just annoyed at taking 11k damage from a random swing  Angry

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 7:28am
Print Post  
You are always going to get 1 shot on a dps focussed toon. The trick is learning not to get hit as a melee. 300 PRR might save you a few times but you are still going to need to learn to use tools like meld, uncanny dodge, flight, spell absorb, cc etc.

Your survivability will increase greatly if you can provide your own cc like using flow for trash and not going max dps.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2020 at 7:31am by Justanotherlurker »  

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 7:34am
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Aug 8th, 2020 at 7:28am:
You are always going to get 1 shot on a dps focussed toon. The trick is learning not to get hit as a melee. 300 PRR might save you a few times but you are still going to need to learn to use tools like meld, uncanny dodge, flight, spell absorb, cc etc.

Your survivability will increase greatly if you can provide your own cc like using flow for trash and not going max dps.

He doesnt even have a full set of named legendary gear yet, he probably doesnt even have 150 PRR.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Lhynn wrote on Aug 6th, 2020 at 12:50pm:
Playing one right now, str. I do so very little damage compared to nukers, and because i have to be in melee i get squashed way too often by a stray arrow hitting my pinky toe.

What am i doing wrong? Or is that par for the course for this shit?

Tempest definately isnt good now because THF is just better. Tempest used to have the best melee AOE because of dance of death, then THF got strikethrough, except they deal more damage.

If you are at cap, your main issue is gear. End game content is all designed for people in full legendary gear with at least 2x set bonuses from ravenloft or sharn. Many people who talk about end game stats are doing it from the perspective of having almost all past lives and 100+ reaper AP, so the numbers might seem ridiculous to you, if you are new, you just have to work towards that goal slowly.

Aim for about 150 PRR first and enough reflex to no fail reflex saves with epic reflexes (should be a piece of cake if you are dex based). At minimum, try to get the silent avenger + adherent of the mists set bonuses if you can't get sharn set bonuses. You also want to make sure you stack as much CON and damage mitigation as possible.

At cap, you should have something like :

-20 or 25% concealment

-15% incorporeal

-Elusive target for additional 5% evade

-30% dodge

-Deflect arrows that can trigger every 2 seconds

The key is to have enough hp, PRR and damage mitigation so that when you do take a big hit, you survive long enough for someone to heal you.

If nobody is healing you, you are going to die, thats just how melee works which is why most people prefer to play ranged or casters. Nothing beats kiting a boss and taking 0 damage, or sitting on a safe spot. Meld is of course, a nice layer of defense, but you wont be able to use it for every wave.

Dont bother doing reaper levels that you cant handle, unless its your friends carrying you and they are fine with that. If you still need gear, focus on that first, do r1 for the first time bonus with a large party and subsequent farming runs on EE.

Throw some cheap melee power filis on your weapon, you dont want to waste rare filis in there since you wont be using it for long. Run in shadow dancer to remove sneak attack immunity.

If you just want to get your ranger lives out of the way, there are better options like Ranger 12/Rogue 6/Artificer 2 inquisitive. If you really want to do tempest because you have nightshard or something like that, at least use aasimar scourge to avoid the nightmare of leveling a tempest from level 1.

Also, dont expect to compete with nukers, the way they scale damage is completely different from melee/ranged, it is impossible to compete with them in kill speed until mid/high reaper. At anything below that, they will one shot an entire wave (or come close to it) before you can even get in melee range.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 1:53pm
Print Post  

+

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I usually find myself going all DPS then slowly trading off DPS for more survivability until I reach some compromise that I’m ok with.

Then I’ll read some technical game mechanics info on here and find out what i was doing was moronic and change it to some less moronic setup.

I feel I do pretty decent Dps just button pressing.  I’m just starting to do the weapon swap debuff  stuff. Making my 1st dust LGS and working in flow.    Many of my khopesh(s) are being phased out so I’m considering dropping the feat in place of another improved critical or something.

Trying a ton of weapon combinations. 

What method are you guys using to calculate DPS?  And when you mention a number in seconds when talking about DPS, what does that measure?  Usually like 30 sec or 27 secs?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Mattyo wrote on Aug 8th, 2020 at 3:02pm:
I feel I do pretty decent Dps just button pressing.  I’m just starting to do the weapon swap debuff  stuff. Making my 1st dust LGS and working in flow.    Many of my khopesh(s) are being phased out so I’m considering dropping the feat in place of another improved critical or something.

Assuming LD using Headmans Chop then grab Untold, Crack in the Sky battleaxe. Knight Training feat over kopesh proficiency. The critical profile ends up better than Calamity and it's a 34 armor piercing item with vacuum, as well. Obviously only if you have the item or runes to spare for this build.

Offhand a Flow for trash but you will need IC Piercing for Flow as it is not keen. Nightshard has keen but Flow is superior in what it does as long as you can crit the target, and it works for both hands, Shard is only offhand attacks when used as offhand.

Grabbing Whelm for offhand on bosses is highest dps swap due to Blunt Trauma working for both hands, but you will need IC Bludgeoning to maximize it.

You will want LGS Dust somewhere. LGS Legendary Affirmation for the temp hp swap. I fashion the weapon as a hamp item for tiers 1 and 2, leave tier 3 empty or put in whatever you want because the hamp does not stack with sharn armor so it serves two functions when I solo or shortman and need to stop and heal.

What method are you guys using to calculate DPS?  And when you mention a number in seconds when talking about DPS, what does that measure?  Usually like 30 sec or 27 secs?

Lamania dojo has red named kobold dummies with 500k hit points and 0 AC/PRR/Fort, and all red named immunities. The seconds are how long to kill and the 500k is divided by the time to kill. 30 seconds would be 16,666 dps.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2020 at 4:11pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 5:45pm
Print Post  

https://github.com/Maetrim/DDOBuilder/releases

If you take the time to fully reproduce your build, this is very very good in my opinion. I just found it and have been doing all this stuff in my head forever. What I've been doing is setting up a build pretty meticulously here, taking the final stats/calcs and then building a spreadsheet that allows me to individually tweak variables to get a sense of contribution and where to min/max judiciously. That being said your point about go for full DPS and then peeling away layers to add defenses resonates with me a lot.

I just came back to the game after a long time out and did a Ranger 20 thrower. I knew about the higher DPS 11/6/3 builds but I liked how well rounded R20 was, and DPS was very high in any case. On FE's, of which I had like 8 or 9, damage was stupid. But I was dying a lot, part of which was lots of out of date gear, but also adjusting to a new meta where more stuff hit harder and Evasion wasn't easy button defense anymore.

I just TR'd into 9Rgr/9Clr/2Barb to pick up 6% DR when in FOTW, 190 Base HP (Cleric 5), 15% Armor Piercing (Cleric 9), even better off healing capabilities (Ranged Mass Cure from War Priest), self cast Mass CLW and Cure Crit, as well as permanent Vacuum on any weapon I wield (T2 Warpriest Ranged Smite), 10% move speed, Cha based Divine Might + Force of Personality mean all 3 of my max stats are save modifiers. The 11 levels of ranger I peeled off cost me a bit of FE damage, and 1 feat, (and the ability to be capstone in DWS which is nice but mostly a wash with Vistani). But I feel like I'll be alive a lot more with this build. If it's as good as I hope, I might even try swapping most of those cleric levels with more barbarian for Imp. Uncanny Dodge. Being able to hit a temp invincibility button + CC is totally worth it, and having multiple versions of that (Unncanny + Imp Uncanny, T4 Tempest elaborate, Mist Walker V from Vistani, Meld, etc) is way too much fun.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2020 at 10:09pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 8th, 2020 at 4:10pm:
Assuming LD using Headmans Chop then grab Untold, Crack in the Sky battleaxe. Knight Training feat over kopesh proficiency. The critical profile ends up better than Calamity and it's a 34 armor piercing item with vacuum, as well. Obviously only if you have the item or runes to spare for this build.

Is vacuum the fetters vulnerability debuff? This wouldn’t happen to work with the whorefrost  or tornado would it?  Or is it specifically only “battle” axes?  I only ask because I have this weapon already.  I am closish to having the runes for the other,  it just wondering.  Using the soulrazor in that spot right now.  Also have IC slash and knights training.

Offhand a Flow for trash but you will need IC Piercing for Flow as it is not keen. Nightshard has keen but Flow is superior in what it does as long as you can crit the target, and it works for both hands, Shard is only offhand attacks when used as offhand.

Just started working this offhand combo in.  So a lot of offhand swapping with flow, whelm, dust, etc.

Grabbing Whelm for offhand on bosses is highest dps swap due to Blunt Trauma working for both hands, but you will need IC Bludgeoning to maximize it.

I made the Reflection [color=#ff0000]of Whelm today.  I took IC bludgeon and pulverizer from LD.  If there is a way, would you try for headman’s chop and pulverizer?[/color]

You will want LGS Dust somewhere. LGS Legendary Affirmation for the temp hp swap. I fashion the weapon as a hamp item for tiers 1 and 2, leave tier 3 empty or put in whatever you want because the hamp does not stack with sharn armor so it serves two functions when I solo or shortman and need to stop And heal.

For the LGS dust weapon: do you or can you just put the dust effect on it?  I started making one and it’s- earth/neg/earth/neg (Acid/neg blast/acid blast so far.) not sure how well it will work.  Also have LGS spellpower/hamp/good blast; waiting on mats for affirmation.  Does the affirmation proc or click?  I have been sacrificing healing/casting feats for combat as I have been experimenting. I think I only have maximize now.  Heals are like 4-600. Are you investing more into healing than that? 

Lamania dojo has red named kobold dummies with 500k hit points and 0 AC/PRR/Fort, and all red named immunities. The seconds are how long to kill and the 500k is divided by the time to kill. 30 seconds would be 16,666 dps.

Gunna try the lammania.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
I usually find myself going all DPS then slowly trading off DPS for more survivability until I reach some compromise that I’m ok with.

Then I’ll read some technical game mechanics info on here and find out what i was doing was moronic and change it to some less moronic setup.

Trying a ton of weapon combinations. 

IMHO Flow isnt necessary unless you play in a static that has no other sources of vulnerability, or you really need guardbreaking to solo. Nightshard has the slow and thats enough to stop the occasional mob.

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #15 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Do any of these debuffs stack with purge the wicked ED purification debuff?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Mattyo wrote on Aug 8th, 2020 at 6:52pm:
Do any of these debuffs stack with purge the wicked ED purification debuff?

Purge is an attack damage debuff on the target. Lowering its offense, it does not apply any damage increase like dust or vacuum.

Mattyo wrote on Aug 8th, 2020 at 6:25pm:
Is vacuum the fetters vulnerability debuff? This wouldn’t happen to work with the whorefrost  or tornado would it?  Or is it specifically only “battle” axes? 

Fetters is what vacuum was on LGS weapons. Knight's Training is for battleaxe improved critical profile. Headmans Chop works on any axe.

I took IC bludgeon and pulverizer from LD.  If there is a way, would you try for headman’s chop and pulverizer?

If I could, yes, but there is no way to spend 26 points into your ED that is capped at 24.

For the LGS dust weapon: do you or can you just put the dust effect on it? 

https://ddocrafting.info/lgs/

Does the affirmation proc or click?  I have been sacrificing healing/casting feats for combat as I have been experimenting. I think I only have maximize now.  Heals are like 4-600. Are you investing more into healing than that? 

Affirmation procs off of any hit. For healing I swap to Silverthread belt and my hamp stick.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2020 at 10:28pm by Rubbinns »  

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #17 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Thanks for helping me out with that info.  The 26 Ed point in a 24 ED point jar was especially enlightening.  I asked without looking at the ED screen to see if that combo would be possible.

I was hoping there was some inside info that knights training was broken and worked on any axe or something else in the caste pool of what I don’t know.

It’s good to finally know what vacuum debuff means.  I was out during those years.  Also thanks for the affirmation info on how it works and what it does.

IP Logged

Lhynn
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Very helpful thread.
What i got out of it was "Gear up faggot." and "Yeah not in the best shape."

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #19 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 11:12am
Print Post  
It’s not just faggots that need to gear up, it’s all varieties of rangers.  And not many are in the best shape after DDO binges during COVID.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #20 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
And not going max dps.

Wrong.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #21 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 8th, 2020 at 4:10pm:

You will want LGS Dust somewhere. LGS Legendary Affirmation for the temp hp swap. I fashion the weapon as a hamp item for tiers 1 and 2, leave tier 3 empty or put in whatever you want because the hamp does not stack with sharn armor so it serves two functions when I solo or shortman and need to stop and heal.

Yo DDO skills poppin. Wanna go out on a date?

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #22 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Lhynn wrote on Aug 9th, 2020 at 11:43pm:
Very helpful thread.
What i got out of it was "Gear up faggot." and "Yeah not in the best shape."

Welcome to the Vault!

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #23 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
The correct question is: <Any race/class> Two Weapon Fighting - Why?  Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #24 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 9:48am
Print Post  
It’s almost like Steelstar’s micropenis got needle hard at the thought of nerfing tempests to the point they were no longer useful for anything other than flavor.

That said, as long as jacktards like him are running things at SSG, this game is going to suffer from a never ending cycle of extremely unbalanced nerfs to combat previous extremely unbalanced nerfs because they’re entirely too fucking clueless to consider implementing any form of balance into classes or races.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint