Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) How are you playing Sorc? (Read 30917 times)
Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

I'll lead you to my basement

How are you playing Sorc?
Sep 11th, 2020 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Glass cannon? CC'er? Mix of both? Something else?

I'm not sure what to play in high reapers.
Glass cannon gets me all the juicy high damage but relatively weak DC's in some quests.

Atm I'm playing a mixed build. 124 on meteor, Glacial Wrath and 98 on mass hold.. which works most of the time on groups of mobs with 1 or 2 saving, nothing Greater Shout can get with a 123.
My Dire Thaumaturge isn't filled yet, missing 1 DC and a CHAR which would net me 119 CHAR in reaper. I could prob swap something to even in out later.

My feats:

Empower
Maximize
Quicken
Embolden
Evocation, greater and Epic
Great Charisma
Burst of Glacial Wrath
Spell Power Fire
Spell Power force
Deific Warding
Scion of Air

Gear:

Goggles: Collective Sights: 21, 10 CON
Helm: LGS SP
Neck: Sigil of Regalport
Trinket: Slavers
Flamecleansed set
Ring: Shattered Onyx
Ring2: Clouded Dreams
Belt: Burnscar Sash
Gloves: Bluescale guides
Boots: Sunken Slippers
Weapon1: Wild Flame
Weapon2: LGS Vacuum - MRR35 - MRR9 - Exc. Char2

Insults and shit welcome and greatly appreciated!

karavek wrote on May 6th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
Look dude just because you hate a cunt doesn't mean you stop fucking the bitch you just turn her over and hate fuck her ass bloody then your take her to Tijuana and sell her ass to some spic pimp.

IP Logged

the_biggest_dog
Waterworks Kobold

fuck

Re: How are you playing Sorc?
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
alcamist

Rubbinns wrote on Oct 31st, 2020 at 7:26pm:
pretty dope shit. congratz. i take it back.

al ca mist

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Halfmaniac wrote on Sep 11th, 2020 at 8:32pm:

...why do I keep forgetting this is an option? Been driving myself up a fucking tree searching CON items and this nets you 31 in a little used slot. I'm such an idiot.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Nuic
DQ Assaulter

OMEGALUL

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Glass cannon? CC'er? Mix of both? Something else?

Glass cannon gets me all the juicy high damage but relatively weak DC's in some quests.

Atm I'm playing a mixed build. 124 on meteor, Glacial Wrath and 98 on mass hold.. which works most of the time on groups of mobs with 1 or 2 saving, nothing Greater Shout can get with a 123.
My Dire Thaumaturge isn't filled yet, missing 1 DC and a CHAR which would net me 119 CHAR in reaper. I could prob swap something to even in out later.

My feats:

Empower
Maximize
Quicken
Embolden
Evocation, greater and Epic
Great Charisma
Burst of Glacial Wrath
Spell Power Fire
Spell Power force
Deific Warding
Scion of Air

Gear:

Helm: LGS SP
Neck: Sigil of Regalport
Trinket: Slavers
Flamecleansed set
Ring: Shattered Onyx
Ring2: Clouded Dreams
Belt: Burnscar Sash
Gloves: Bluescale guides
Boots: Sunken Slippers
Weapon1: Wild Flame
Weapon2: LGS Vacuum - MRR35 - MRR9 - Exc. Char2

Insults and shit welcome and greatly appreciated!

Seems fine. I'd try to switch out empower for intensify since they're the same thing but you get extra sp with intensify. LGS ash over vacuum because mrr stripping is less common than vuln stacking in groups.

I tend to make the majority of my feat and gearing options towards dps more than cc. So I sit around 102 cha, run 2x lgs domi set, fire scion, and wellspring

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
I don't run high skulls but I build into DPS and survivability. IMO getting the DCs on CC effects high enough to do shit requires too many tradeoffs to be worth it.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
the_biggest_dog wrote on Sep 11th, 2020 at 8:58pm:
alcamist

If they hadn't made each elements' Multivials share a cooldown, then it wouldve been appealing. But currently as is and long cooldowns, it has nothing on Sorc.

Look dude just because you hate a cunt doesn't mean you stop fucking the bitch you just turn her over and hate fuck her ass bloody then your take her to Tijuana and sell her ass to some spic pimp.

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 11th, 2020 at 10:37pm:
I don't run high skulls but I build into DPS and survivability. IMO getting the DCs on CC effects high enough to do shit requires too many tradeoffs to be worth it.

Yea i can see being max DPS on lower reapers being the more tempting thing. I can't say i'm doing bad DPS having sacrificed Intensify, Wellspring and Fire Scion for DCs. I do feel more useful by being able to CC mobs.

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Nuic wrote on Sep 11th, 2020 at 10:14pm:
Seems fine. I'd try to switch out empower for intensify since they're the same thing but you get extra sp with intensify. LGS ash over vacuum because mrr stripping is less common than vuln stacking in groups.

Yea you're right. I do carry both around. I alternate between them now and then between boss fights.

IP Logged

the_biggest_dog
Waterworks Kobold

fuck

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2020 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Halfmaniac wrote on Sep 11th, 2020 at 11:42pm:
If they hadn't made each elements' Multivials share a cooldown, then it wouldve been appealing. But currently as is and long cooldowns, it has nothing on Sorc.

what server u on bud I wanna come shit in your garbage sorcs mouth

Rubbinns wrote on Oct 31st, 2020 at 7:26pm:
pretty dope shit. congratz. i take it back.

al ca mist

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2020 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I solo low reaper and I group for reaper 6+. Fire Scion and Draconic for soloing. Swap to Magister for groups because I make more of a difference in the group with landing spells 100% than I do with the higher DPS from Draconic. Multiplying the party’s DPS >> doing more DPS on my own (in the parties I end up in)

Embolden, Wellspring, and Enlarge make me enjoy the game more than Intensify, Wellspring and Empower. I’m not going to claim that they’re better for everyone, but I’m very happy with them. Quicken is globally turned on and then individually turned off for every spell except for SLAs, Meteor Swarm and long cast spells like Disco Balls and Symbols.

IP Logged

Halfmaniac
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2020 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
the_biggest_dog wrote on Sep 12th, 2020 at 10:37am:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/554813323108155402/754349522444091482/i...

TIL Alchs are better cuz they shit in mouths.

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2020 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
the_biggest_dog wrote on Sep 12th, 2020 at 10:37am:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/554813323108155402/754349522444091482/i...

You, my friend, are wasting your art talent on these forums!

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2020 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
The vast majority of high-level Players who nuke are Alchemists rather than sorcs at least on Khyber. I loved my fire sorc, though. But, I doubt all those players are wrong.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 4:19am
Print Post  

Mass Holds, Shouts, pwk, flesh to stone, RELIABLE Vengeance holds. Dust on bosses and Dooms, Meld.

Or do nothing except blinding your party with meteors.
Then complain how hard reaper is Cheesy

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Sep 12th, 2020 at 11:00pm:
The vast majority of high-level Players who nuke are Alchemists rather than sorcs at least on Khyber. I loved my fire sorc, though. But, I doubt all those players are wrong.

For decades, every doctor in London believed you could revive a drowning victim by blowing tobacco smoke up their ass. I'm not saying everyone playing alchemists are wrong, but it is possible for everyone to be wrong about something.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #15 - Sep 14th, 2020 at 12:19am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 13th, 2020 at 5:28pm:
For decades, every doctor in London believed you could revive a drowning victim by blowing tobacco smoke up their ass. I'm not saying everyone playing alchemists are wrong, but it is possible for everyone to be wrong about something.

Yep. It’s possible. But I doubt it.

There’s a thread on the mobos about this too. Consensus was alch. It’s not like sorcs are bad. They’re great. But Alchs are a little greater overall. Mainly heals, dcs, and better instakill is my understanding.

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #16 - Sep 14th, 2020 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Oh and they get more feats and evasion

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #17 - Sep 14th, 2020 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Disclaimer: I’ve never really run one.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Sep 14th, 2020 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Sep 14th, 2020 at 12:20am:
Disclaimer: I’ve never really run one.

I did 1 life to get back completionist and nopped out of it as fast as I could. I don't know if they're "bad" per-se but "fun" it definitely was not.

Let's put it this way: I turned my main into a fire sorc after I realized I played my fire sorc alt more than any other character. I've cast literally thousands of meteor swarms and it still hasn't gotten old. Alch got old after about 5 minutes.

But all that being said... given the current resources available I guess it wouldn't be so difficult to spin up an alt and give it another shot. Maybe I just got turned off by how weak they are at low levels. I can't see ever playing that as my main but I do enjoy having practically every class imaginable as an alt.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Sep 14th, 2020 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Alch is currently better - we will see how they fall after the U47 nerf (CC duration)

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #20 - Oct 14th, 2020 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Sep 12th, 2020 at 11:00pm:

You are correct.  My sorc is fun, but it is not top meta.   Alchemist is better.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Oct 14th, 2020 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Sorc is just better all around. No alchemist is beating my nigga Fati https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/509515-Ascendance-runs?s=156cf219c87f5...

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

makar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Oct 14th, 2020 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Oct 14th, 2020 at 3:47pm:
Sorc is just better all around. No alchemist is beating my nigga Fati https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/509515-Ascendance-runs?s=156cf219c87f5...

Neat and all but I'm not all that impressed. Alchemist has better cc, burst, and utility.

How many pots to do those solos? Even with eross + bauble, I imagine quite a few.

Lastly, alchemist is far better for a group or raid environment. The only advantage I see over alchemist is being able to cc reapers, but even this is only really a benefit in groups. Potentially, they also are less likely to be nerfed.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Oct 14th, 2020 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
makar wrote on Oct 14th, 2020 at 5:52pm:
Neat and all but I'm not all that impressed. Alchemist has better cc, burst, and utility.

Hard to impress bads because they don't understand what they are looking at. Is the CC really better? For who? The duration is no longer 3 minutes long now. Is the burst really better than Meteor Swarm? Has anyone tried testing the dps on lama or Bruntsmash?

How many pots to do those solos?

Does it matter? How many do you think you would need on an alchemist to match these times?

Lastly, alchemist is far better for a group or raid environment.

Wait, so you think that a build that allows Fati to solo a large swath of quests is somehow going to be worse in a group?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

makar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Oct 14th, 2020 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Oct 14th, 2020 at 6:07pm:
Hard to impress bads because they don't understand what they are looking at. Is the CC really better? For who? The duration is no longer 3 minutes long now. Is the burst really better than Meteor Swarm? Has anyone tried testing the dps on lama or Bruntsmash?

The cc is better for when you are dealing with mobs that aren't going to die in one rotation. If we cherrypick quests (and note the solos he posted are restricted to ones where cc beyond helpless does not matter), then yes cc doesn't matter. But if we go with modern raids, longer quests, etc., then cc starts to matter.

I mean the raw numbers for burst are pretty self explanatory... do you want me to walk you through the math?

Does it matter? How many do you think you would need on an alchemist to match these times?

I mean it doesn't if you have a bunch of duped pots laying around. Otherwise it does. And it does speak to the efficacy of the build imo. Maybe I'm just old school, but I still remember back when using pots was frowned upon as it pointed to build weakness (I get not everybody plays that way, and if you are doing achievements nowadays, you kinda have to).

As for alchemist, they may have 2kish less sp, but they have less than 50% costs as well as lower numerical sp base costs. 5k sp with 50% efficiency is better than 7-8k sp sorc in this regard.

Wait, so you think that a build that allows Fati to solo a large swath of quests is somehow going to be worse in a group?

Solo efficacy does not equal group efficacy. That's a pretty trivial statement that's long held up. In fact, usually to increase your solo efficacy you give up other things.

For example, his build would be better (objectively) in a group environment if he switched from aasimar to dragonborn, assuming that someone in the group could heal.

Alchemists provide a lot more utility to a group than sorc does, while surpassing w.r.t. to burst.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Send TopicPrint