Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) When and Why did you give up on DDO (Read 11335 times)
Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

When and Why did you give up on DDO
Jun 13th, 2021 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
I've been on an extended break hoping it would rekindle the fires of interest.

Logged on today, didn't last a full hour. I know why I stopped, for me today I noticed that even though I had laid down some real-world money right before I got started on my break it seems to have just underlined my choice rather than being the goad to get me back playing. Blah.

I'm interested in the experience of others, when and why did you stop playing?
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2021 at 10:07pm by Dragonborn »  

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Re: When and Why did you give up on DDO
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
a lot of friends left so finding good groups was a pain, guild kind of fell apart. I had been taking longer and longer breaks and then coming back further and further behind. Being kind of competitive and a min/maxer this was a difficult confluence.

Also had started a family and work got harder as well as more lucrative and so now, just mostly over it

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Dragonborn wrote on Jun 13th, 2021 at 10:06pm:
I've been on an extended break hoping it would rekindle the fires of interest.

Logged on today, didn't last a full hour. I know why I stopped, for me today I noticed that even though I had laid down some real-world money right before I got started on my break it seems to have just underlined my choice rather than being the goad to get me back playing. Blah.

I'm interested in the experience of others, when and why did you stop playing?

Been there. Left the game for almost 3 years and, right now, took a month away and in no hurry to get back. My experience has taught me no to rush things, if you have no "love" for the game it is pointless to force it.

Best advice I can give is to go play something else and don't think about ddo too much. It's best to let time and curiosity for current state of the game do their work instead of searching for a reason to play that is not even there.

Take care dude

IP Logged

Latetotheparty
Dragon Raider

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 12:43am
Print Post  
It started with the optional ransack for me.
I had 6 accounts, now 5, gave 1 away.
I would find at least a half hour to an hour to play and level my alts on busy days.
So now I lost the incentive to log in every day.
When I would sit down and play it would be for 5 to 10 or more hours and play many different quests at that time.
With every decision they made after that just seemed to make me dislike the devs more and more.
And I just can not contribute money to feed Jerry"s ex wife if I have no respect for him.
If even just 1 person was demoted or fired at SSG for poor work performance I might feel different.
I fully stopped playing at least 3 month ago but am yet to uninstall.
I really do not want to quit but I do not want to pay someone to fuck me around either.

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

SSG .. making shit a reality.

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Generally a little bit tired of the 300ms latency and the long list of stupid little bugs that should be fixed.

Oh, and the ancient interface.  When cockface Sev claims it's a well designed game then I would expect an interface that can scale.  Here's my screen at full size and it's near impossible to hover over shit on a map.  Things start to overlap at that size and I can't always find what I'm looking for.

So, recently I've returned to WoW after 10 yrs and 2 mths.  A lot has changed.  Notably the 20ms latency which was a pleasant surprise.  Very pleased to see I can zoom in on maps now too.  Very impressed by the fact that (once I remembered which realm I was on) after logging in everything was just there ready to go.  It doesn't take 40 seconds to get into the game nor 15 seconds to get out of the game.  Also impressed I could start playing after only about 7% of the download complete.  IT'S a well designed game.

The WoW token is a clever way to combat gold sellers.  I'm going to buy one today just to see how long it takes before it's sold.

Gunga wrote on Apr 6th, 2021 at 9:31am:
This game doesn’t deserve great players, honestly.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Maybe today since the latest Windows update wont let me launch DDO.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 9:48am
Print Post  
One problem with this game is the more you advance the closer you get to being bored and further you get from being the target audience of the game.

I stopped before because I didnt have any more time.  I started 10 years later when Covid hit and after a year pretty much max’d out my character and have all 13 other slots filled with level 30 chars in various stages of TR and ETR.  I made them mostly to be able to raid any time after the raid timer deal was changed.  With HC going on the servers are empty on top end most of the time and I hear that the HC isnt any better which doesn’t give me high hopes.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©Í©

Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 9:49am
Print Post  
racial TR and reaper grinds

my goal always was to have not a single character that was min maxed, but an entire run of any build i enjoyed playing, maxed out. as more and more time went on, as i worked toward building more than 2 dozen builds at wnatever end game level was at any given time, the devs instead of concentrating on making the game better for people playing, decided they just needed to make the hampster wheel that much larger in diameter. the back to back releasing of racial tr and reaper points added like literal years to my goals and i simply lacked the devotion to invest that much effort toward a goal the companies direction invalidated.

all i wanted was to be able to tell my guildmates, "oh yeah i can bring my [missing role here] since no one else has a good [insert build here]" on raid nights. instead ddo became about 99% of the players endlessly repeating levels 1-20 out of sync with one another so that u can only choose to play alone, with retards, or a different game.

ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩDISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 10:58am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Jun 14th, 2021 at 9:49am:
racial TR and reaper grinds

instead ddo became about 99% of the players endlessly repeating levels 1-20 out of sync with one another so that u can only choose to play alone, with retards, or a different game.

This is what got me to "quit" for 10 months as I thought the game was heading in to maintenance mode.   Ravenloft brought me back.

Hardcore's draining of the player base sucks so much fun out of playing this game that it's coming close to doing it again.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 11:21am
Print Post  
all i wanted was to be able to tell my guildmates, "oh yeah i can bring my [missing role here] since no one else has a good [insert build here]" on raid nights. instead ddo became about 99% of the players endlessly repeating levels 1-20 out of sync with one another so that u can only choose to play alone, with retards, or a different game.

I like repeating levels 1-20 though. It's objectively more quest diversity than running the same dozen of raids at cap.

Not that I have anything against endgame players. The problem with DDO is we just don't have the population required to sustain a healthy pool of heroic players + legendary players. As others have pointed out, hardcore is definitely a part of this, but really, it's a huge problem even without hardcore.

DDO's been in a terrible place for a long, long time. To answer the original question, I've been on and off for at least 6 years. From 2010-2015, DDO was my main game and I loved it. After that though, I've played less and less, to a point that I play maybe 1 or 2 months out of the year, if that.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
It seems to be Feywild and the return to "run through the god damn fucking wilderness area every time you want to do a quest" mechanic. When they nixed that for Ravenloft and Sharn I had really high hopes and both made me play the game a whole lot. Now? Feywild being incredibly "meh" + how boring it is to autorun for 5 minutes every time you want to quest.

I only ever bothered to play about half of feywild quests and never even touched the raid. I don't know if this is the end of DDO for me but I can probably see it from here.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
The game itself only had limited input on why I quit playing.

Originally it was because I'd injured a lower disc, and I wasn't really able to sit at a desk comfortably for long periods of time.  And I was pretty much using up all of that time at work.

These days, with the new(er) girlfriend, and her two kids, I don't really have the time to spare for anything computer gaming related.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Dragonborn
Shroud Slacker

Savaging the masses...
one dumbfuck at a time

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 2:49pm
Print Post  

I hear that

Osharan Tregarth wrote on Jun 14th, 2021 at 1:36pm:
Originally it was because I'd injured a lower disc, and I wasn't really able to sit at a desk comfortably for long periods of time.  And I was pretty much using up all of that time at work.

These days, with the new(er) girlfriend, and her two kids, I don't really have the time to spare for anything computer gaming related.

Yeah, but how many updates a year do they put out on the Girlfriend for her to be newish? 

Hope that back gets better man.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2021 at 2:53pm by Dragonborn »  

noamineo wrote on Dec 24th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Sadly only scammers are "selling" boxes now. But if you do want to get scammed, I know a guy.

OSeanessy wrote on Dec 26th, 2021 at 6:03am:
Just for the record, I bought ten stones from Dragonborn a few days back. Fair and civil trade which went smoothly

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Dragonborn wrote on Jun 14th, 2021 at 2:49pm:
Yeah, but how many updates a year do they put out on the Girlfriend for her to be newish? 

Hope that back gets better man.

Well, she's an alcoholic with some kind of (untreated) chronic mood disorder.  So she kinda gets an update every couple of weeks!

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Poetry!

Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2021 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Jun 14th, 2021 at 3:33pm:
Well, she's an alcoholic with some kind of (untreated) chronic mood disorder.  So she kinda gets an update every couple of weeks!

Sounds like every ex I’ve ever had. 

I admit that I’m still playing, but I’ve got a daily static group that’s fun to hang with that mitigates a lot of the suck that SSG has engineered into the game recently.  That said, trying to put together a raid is a major fucking pain in the ass, even during the weekends.

Too bad SSG is fucking terrible at everything they do…except for sucking.  They’ve got that shit down pat. 

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #15 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 3:07pm
Print Post  

I officially quit in 2010. Since then, I think I have logged in maybe three times, once to try playing again. I was very quickly overwhelmed by the amount of shit that showed up in my backpack after running just a couple of low-level quests, showing me that they'd only exacerbated a problem from when I'd quit. I never returned.

As for why I quit, there were a lot of things that made me unhappy with the game - Dungeon Alert and Dungeon Scaling among them, and the epic item grind are three that come to mind. The move to be like all the other MMOs - killing things like interest items and AC. But I think the biggest thing to push me out the door was guild renown. Basically, I didn't realize it, but I had been logging in every night so that I didn't let my guild down. Then my guild figured out that they could whittle down members in order to allow the 24-hour-a-day players to capitalize on the small guild bonus, so they moved everyone over to a placeholder guild while they worked on that.

...which made me realize the real reason I was logging in every day (to not let the guild down). This game had become a job - a true grind. Grind for renown, grind for epic item bullshit, grind for TR, grind grind grind. And it was clear things were only going to get worse. More grind, more movement towards being like all other games.

And in the ten years since, I have yet to find a replacement game. I tried SWTOR, but it turns out that is two different games: one really long and boring single-player grind to level your character (mostly just running/driving from point A to B to C... SO MUCH time wasted traveling around); and a second game where you had to be deep into a guild and dedicate serious time to play endgame.

Wildstar seemed like the answer. It was extremely polished, very well thought-out, funny, interesting, and unique. It also got me interested in things I'd never been interested in for any other game - crafting and housing, for example. I found a way to make scads of money and exploited the shit out of that for quite a while. But, in the end, it turns out it was just SWTOR: two games, one single-player leveling grind and one guild-focused endgame with significant and difficult barriers to entry (unless you were deep in a guild). The leveling, while better than SWTOR's "travel forever" bullshit, was still basically the same thing: repetitive, boring combat (press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5; repeat until mobs are dead) taking place over repetitive, boring quests (go here, click the blue thing).

Back in that 2006-2010 timeframe, we had a real gem of a game. In the decade since, everything I hear just makes me cringe. More grind, more moving away from what made DDO great, and a continued complete lack of bug fixing. It is really a shame. I feel bad for the people who came in after 2010, they have no idea what they missed.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #16 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Just read through the ED pass on lamania, and that might kill it for me. To early yet but it looks dumb, level gating on top of that is even worse.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Jun 15th, 2021 at 3:42pm:
Just read through the ED pass on lamania, and that might kill it for me. To early yet but it looks dumb, level gating on top of that is even worse.

Can you link to this? I'd like to see what I'm in for if I stick around.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #18 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 4:47pm
Print Post  

Was dismayed by a lot of what I read.

I'm thinking of leaving, too.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #19 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jun 15th, 2021 at 4:41pm:
Can you link to this? I'd like to see what I'm in for if I stick around.

Start here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/524811-U51-Early-Preview-Main-Thread#p...

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jun 15th, 2021 at 4:48pm:

Ah, beautiful. Not only are they level-gating it, the "gate" is level 30. So they are effectively removing the ED system entirely since everything remotely useful is now a tier5 ability(only available at lvl 30).

Wonderful job, there, turbin. Wonderful.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 6:04pm
Print Post  

Yep. Might be done. And an extended break is definitely happening. Godammit, everything I imagined, but worse than I expected.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #22 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 6:23pm
Print Post  

In the same boat, this looks terrible.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Jun 15th, 2021 at 6:23pm:
In the same boat, this looks terrible.

Terrible is being kind.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #24 - Jun 15th, 2021 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Yeah, was just on there. Basically any build relying on anything in current ED format is ruined...completely.  I just really started enjoying fury ranged.  Adios.  No ranged in fury at all anymore.  Big, how did those axes do on the raid kobold?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint