Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) New Producer - In Case Anyone Still Cares (Read 33082 times)
Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

New Producer - In Case Anyone Still Cares
Jul 1st, 2013 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/419586-Introduction!-And-a-brief-Produ...

Hello! I’m Aaron Campbell, the new Franchise Director for Dungeons & Dragons Online.

Some of you may know me from The Lord of the Rings Online where I’ve managed production (most recently as Senior Producer) since 2006. In reality I’ve only moved about four rows over, so I’m closer to Erik Boyer (Senior Producer Glin) than Kate Paiz (Executive Producer for LOTRO). Like always, I still see them both every morning.

My first day on the job, the DDO team gave me a trivia challenge. I’ve been playing D&D for almost 30 years now, but I barely passed. It went something like this….

Q: What is your favorite edition of D&D?
A: AD&D 1st Edition, although I started with the red box “Basic” set.
Q: What is your favorite class?
A: Paladin (the 1st Edition version, complete with vow of poverty)
Q: What is your favorite setting?
A: Dragonlance… no, Planescape. Auuugghh!*

We’ve got a great year planned for you, headed into 2014. Here are some highlights.

Update 19: The Shadowfell Conspiracy! Level cap to 28, new adventure areas in Wheloon and the Stormhorn mountains, and of course new Iconic races.
Update 20 (late 2013): Epic True Reincarnation! (We’re still gathering your feedback and input)
Update 21 (early 2014): A new threat (complete with multiple dragons), and a tribute to a classic Forgotten Realms module.

And more…

The team is thrilled to be going strong after over 7 years online, especially as we approach Dungeons & Dragons 40th Anniversary in 2014. We owe our success to you, our dedicated fans. Thank you for loving this game – we’ll keep making it bigger and better.

*All respect to Monty Python.

IP Logged

umeannothing
Stormreaver Piker

Wall building professional!

Re: New Producer - In Case Anyone Still Cares
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
I saw your post and I thought: sweet, finally get rid fernado.

Then I read his post.

He sucks ass already, he brought fernado's old lady into the post. She is no better than fernado...... Well, maybe in one aspect, she lets the devs talk to the players on LoTRO.

What exactly is a "franchise director" anyway? Is that a new name for EP?

Until I see a new EP post and say they are the new EP, as far as I am concerned fernado is still there fucking shit up.

MAGA!

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Producer IV: A New Hope

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
A new hope?
or the same old cynicism and despair?

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Kate is fine.
Aaron is awesome, I have worked with him in the past and he is the most...human exec we have. Love the move. Love working with the guy. Level head, and makes the right call for the franchise most of the time.
I'm no longer having screaming matches, and pulling my hair out.
told ya...things change.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:19pm:
Kate is fine.
Aaron is awesome, I have worked with him in the past and he is the most...human exec we have. Love the move. Love working with the guy. Level head, and makes the right call for the franchise most of the time.
told ya...things change.

This is all I need to know right now. Thanks Maj.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Kate is fine.
told ya...things change.

Actions speak louder than words Maj. I prefer to wait and see.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Kate is fine.
told ya...things change.

Sounds good to me and I hope people will give him a fair shot and a clean slate, at least until he starts talking about paralyzing weapons.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Kate is fine.

nudge nudge wink wink

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Kate is fine.
told ya...things change.

Sorry Maj, I had to officially ask what you gave them all to eat/drink/smoke.

And I'll follow Arkat...
The first good move would be if he decided to move the enhancement crash out of Shadowfail  so that the various problems can be addressed calmly.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:48pm:
The first good move would be if he decided to move the enhancement crash out of Shadowfail  so that the various problems can be addressed calmly.

They have almost two months but I agree it needs a little more time in the oven.  A lot of it is really good but there's a few things that are borderline game-breaking and absolute class-breaking that need to be addressed.

What we saw over the weekend was better than Alpha but more needs to be done.  I prefer it wasn't railroaded.

IP Logged

sadface
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
blah.

his list of upcoming events does not even tempt me.

enhancements pass. do not want it do not like it. would prefer you finish the prestiges we have in the current system and be done, as a player i do not want another non d&d system forced into ddo.

not free to vip adventure pack, meh

epic tr, another idea i liked before i saw what the developers wanted to do with it. vote of no confidence on all 3
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:02pm by sadface »  

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Cautiously optimistic here.

OnePercenter wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
I agree with 0bama...

OnePercenter wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:18am:
Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 1st, 2013 at 2:48pm:
Sorry Maj, I had to officially ask what you gave them all to eat/drink/smoke.

And I'll follow Arkat...

Enhancements are 99% sure to be in the xpack. Data shows for the most part people are happy. The ones that are obviously mentioned...clerics, sorcs exc...are all being examined again. I don't think a redesign of the whole thing is needed at this point. The biggest reason to do the system is so we can add on easily later.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
lol data shows.

what data?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #15 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:43pm:
Enhancements are 99% sure to be in the xpack. Data shows for the most part people are happy. The ones that are obviously mentioned...clerics, sorcs exc...are all being examined again. I don't think a redesign of the whole thing is needed at this point. The biggest reason to do the system is so we can add on easily later.

Thanks for the honesty. Atleast now I know it's safe to give up hope and quit.

What still has me underwhelmed:
- action boosts being a tier 2 ability requiring 7ap and 2 class levels to obtain vs lvl 1, 1ap on live.
- monk capstones blow for unarmed
- so many trees are filled with virtually useless clicky based +w combat abilities.
- paladin hunter of undead / kotc merged tree is effectively no better than the old seperate trees, Combining these, should have made you good against both undead and EO's at the same time.
- Requiring a shield to be equipped in stalwart / defensive stance.
- druid tier 5, Crown of summer can only be cast on others, currently it's yourself or others.
- alot of the enhancements don't stack (dodge, skill boosts, saves), especially around. This is something most obvious when you do a 1-3 level splash and end up with alot of underwhelming - useless abilities.
- The original 40 points for tier 5 setup was acceptable, so long as points count as spent across all trees, along with the access to 6+ trees.
- Racial Trees in general totally suck, look at human, who on earth thinks a heroism clicky is worth it. It's a ml 0 potion.

I've honestly tried to be really objective about this enhancement pass, but I'm a builder, I've played this game because of the versatility that it bought.  The enhancement pass I was always hoping for was going to add to the game.  This is at best to most, a sideways shuffle, but in my eyes, it's a big step backwards from our current offering.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:03pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

sadface
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:53pm
Print Post  

facepalm Cry

IP Logged

sadface
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:51pm:
Thanks for the honesty. Atleast now I know it's safe to give up hope and quit.

IP Logged

LafoMamone
Waterworks Kobold

Feather of Sun's Chief
Muse

Reply #18 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
I, too, would like to know what this "data" is. Clearly you are not polling people, and lam is not exactly a representative sample.

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Enhancements are 99% sure to be in the xpack. Data shows for the most part people are happy. The ones that are obviously mentioned...clerics, sorcs exc...are all being examined again.

What about wizards?  It is universally agreed that there will never be another Archmage if you go live with that stuff.

OnePercenter wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
I agree with 0bama...

OnePercenter wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:18am:
Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

sadface
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
IMARANGER wrote on Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:03pm:
What about wizards?  It is universally agreed that there will never be another Archmage if you go live with that stuff.

or it is universally agreed most archmage players are happy.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #21 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
sadface wrote on Jul 1st, 2013 at 3:02pm:
blah.

his list of upcoming events does not even tempt me.

enhancements pass. do not want it do not like it. would prefer you finish the prestiges we have in the current system and be done, as a player i do not want another non d&d system forced into ddo.

not free to vip adventure pack, meh

epic tr, another idea i liked before i saw what the developers wanted to do with it. vote of no confidence on all 3

The enhancement pass is happening.  people wanting them to drop it and just finish the existing trees are living in fantasy land.  Might as well ask them to roll the level cap back to 20.  It's got as much chance to happen.  They have a huge investment in development on this.  Ideas on how to alter it are all that is going to be worthwhile.

Also, your comment about non-D&D systems is invalid.  The current enhancement system is not pure D&D either.

IP Logged

sadface
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:22pm:
Also, your comment about non-D&D systems is invalid.  The current enhancement system is not pure D&D either.

so we should replace it with a system that has less to do with d&d. brilliant!

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:31pm
Print Post  

I sincerely hope you're not basing that on those surveys.

Whoever wrote those wasn't looking for data, they were fishing for compliments with a side of exhausting any complaints by requiring a wall of text.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #24 - Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
things change.

Sure things change - except the size of the Known Issues List or the noticeable fuckton of bugs in the game.

Actually no, credit where credit is due - those do change. The bugs and Known Issues list just steadily grow until players like myself just leave the game out of sheer frustration and despair. So yeah, I guess you may be technically right - things change. It's just not really in a way I'd crow about.

Oh, and the "people" who are happy with the new Enhancement Pass are either the egregious suck-ups on Mournlands or Turbine staffers. During my time on ML, the obsequiousness was at revolting levels, and the Devs did their level best to quash those who didn't lick the boot. I left because it was an even bigger joke then Llama. Or Turbine QA. And that's a mighty big joke in and of itself.

At best, the opinion that people are happy with the EH pass is selective perception of epic proportions.

So, congrats on the new guy. I have little doubt he'll be just as ineffective and inept as the last few. And if he really is as "human" as you say Maj... then I kinda pity him.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2013 at 4:35pm by Memnir »  

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint