Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The talk. (Read 13322 times)
Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

The talk.
Sep 7th, 2013 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
I don't think we should see each other as much anymore.

What? Why?

You've changed. I'm just not comfortable with these new directions in which you're taking yourself. I don't have as much fun with you anymore.

Everyone changes. You have too.

Sure. I'm probably more demanding, and less willing to accept annoyances. Like ladder bugs. How many ladders do you have - a few thousand, maybe? How long would it take an intern to check each and every one? One month? Two?

Who has that kind of time? Seriously.

You're really letting yourself go too. The launcher has taken two starts for the past four months and it is affecting more and more players. People still crash entering the Sands. And your networking - a two day downtime on a holiday weekend? What's next? False teeth, hearing aids, and support hose?

Baby, we still have something special between us

We had something special going with the D20. You had that one thing I wanted most in a relationship, and nobody else had it. And you've been throwing it away for the past year or two. It started slowly by devaluing the D20 with inflated monster, character, and gear stats, but the new to-hit and AC formulas meant the end of D20. Sure, DC casting is still D20, but it has been dead for over a year now, unless you have insane gear, House D pots, store pots, multiple past lives, and Yugo pots.

But I have level 28! And level 30 is coming! Just stay a little while. Please

I haven't ever had anywhere near as much fun in epic as I did in heroic. And your epic-commoner levels don't do anything for me. They're lame, an empty shell that just proves how badly you are lacking ideas and sorely bereft you are of vision.

Character building is over and done at level 23 once I cap my main destiny. After that, what is there? Grinding in useless off-destinies and for gear, with the only real thing to look forward to being a few epic feats between levels 23 and 30, and some twists? You really don't understand progression and advancement, do you?

Then there is epic TR. We don't know the final details, but I can't believe how out of touch you would have to be with the playerbase to float the initial trial balloons. I'm not expecting it to be worth the grind, in case you haven't guessed.

Okay, but heroic is still here for you

It is, sort of. I'll probably still play my TRs a bit until you shut down the servers in a year or two. But the latest loot updates and enhancement trees have dragged the giant cesspool of suckage that is your Epic game down to the lower levels. You've invalidated playstyles, destroyed twink gear, and changed enhancements beyond recognition. The degree of Monty Haul is getting disgusting, with Deadly VI at ML11. I remember thinking the Sora Kell set bonus was overpowered compared to other readily available first-life loot available at the time. Now it is junk that is barely worth equipping.

But there are more build options now than ever

Except for the old options. They're gone, and they didn't need to be removed, other than to satisfy the hubris of your developers and the not-invented-here syndrome of your current team.

Whenever you make something new, you shit all over the old stuff. I'm tired of it. I liked a lot of the old enhancements, and they're gone. Radiant servant aura takes half of your enhancement points now, in useless junk. It wasn't that OP compared to a shiradi sorc or juggernaut, but you killed the aura anyways. I think my L16 drunk saw some benefits, but haven't really had the heart to rebuild most of my other characters. Come to think of it, I haven't had the heart to level many of them past 20.

You're getting dangerously unstable and inconsistent too.

Unstable and inconsistent? Moi?

Yeah. You. Look at things like ardour clickies. In 2010, 50% clickies were changed to three minutes of 75%. People rejoiced. But then they got nerfed to 15 spell power or something lame like that in 2012 with the spell pass. I can't remember how much, because I vendored all of mine.

You took roman numerals out a few years ago because they were hard for people to understand, and then added them back to weapon effects last month. You even stopped describing damage using dice. Just in case you hadn't noticed, that's kind of a core element of D&D. You remember D&D, right? Memories of tabletop were the reason a lot of your players are even here.

The rules on stacking are a moving target. I never know what I'm going to come in the door and see anymore - it's like a freakshow around here lately. Consistency and stability. You don't have it anymore. Paladins are dead because you can't even figure out that Divine Might should stack with everything. Instead, you made it share a common bonus type at end game. Changes to the dodge and greensteel skill bonus, what's next?

The game I used to know wasn't greedy and demanding either.

Honey, you know I only ever cared about your money

But it wasn't as blatant. I spent money on content every month, and we had fun together. It always felt like it was worthwhile, and you weren't constantly grasping at my wallet back then like you do now.

How else can you explain the disease immunity nerf at around the same time anti-mummy elixirs came out in the store? The powerful store-only healing potions and mnemnonic pots that you cannot buy from a vendor as a plat sink? +5 tomes? Skill tomes? Hall of Heroes? Pay to teleport to dungeon entrances in Shadowfail? Nerfing XP from Cannith challenges, one of your most expensive packs? Reducing the release rate of new content to two adventure packs a year, putting the other three packs into "expansions" so you can gouge VIP even more without developing content any faster than in 2010 or 2011?

It has gone far, far, beyond convenience items when inconveniences that can only be overcome by the store are deliberately added to the game, such as ridiculously long travel. When you have an NPC teleporter to ToD, but need a store purchase of shards to do the same thing in the Stormhorns? I don't trust you on weapon damage now that the astral shard anvil is available for repair anywhere in the game.

You're even selling XP. I read of someone who got 10k XP on a gold roll, and the Otto's box, XP tomes, and XP potions have been your best moneymakers. You even had a Win button in the store for a while. And don't even get me going on the astral shard total in my inventory, on the main panel, and the re-roll chest button. I would expect better from a cheap whore.

There's nobody else. Who ya gonna go to instead? You'll be back, people like you always will.

Back to Freeciv, probably. Maybe Dwarf Fortress. I dunno. Pathfinder or Wildstar when they come out? Guild Wars 2?

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Re: The talk.
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Put another way : ( and TL;DR )

DDO used to be a Morgan Car in a world of Ford, Renault and Opel.

But now the Morgan is trying to be a Ford, a Renault or an Opel.

( for those Yankees [and others ] that don't know what a Morgan is : http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/ )

the problem is that  :
- The Morgan buyers don't want of a Ford, an Opel or a Renault...
And
- The Opel, Ford and Renault buyers don't care about the Morgan.

In DDO Term : stop trying to be mainstream MMO, DDO is a niche MMO and it cannot be anything else.

Edit : typo
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2013 at 2:04pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Awesome post!

OnePercenter wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
I agree with 0bama...

OnePercenter wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:18am:
Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

Rincewind
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
1+ to the post
and to the 3000 post count hahaha ;p

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Wow.

Yeah, that's it exactly. Even more important than your reasoning was your tone - you've perfectly captured the emotional attachment to the game and regret I feel at the path it's taken.

Well done, and thank you.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 1:04am
Print Post  
If you're not banned this needs to be on the main forums.

IP Logged

tachyon
Titan Demolisher

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Sums it up quite nicely.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Very good post. Like the Morgan analogy too. My Dad had one of those when I was growng up. Captures it perfectly.

Also, are you saying that I have to pay astral shards to use those 3 teleporters in the Stormhorns? FFS.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 3:46am
Print Post  
if you want to teleport to quest entrance ( and it's also valid for wheloon ).

if you are willing to run a bit you can use the free teleporters...
Like for GH you will have to find them first, and they are not at the quest entrance.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
This should be required reading for devs. NICE.

As an aside, I DID cancel my sub and have been playing GW2 in place of DDO for about 60% of my game time now.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 3:46am:
if you want to teleport to quest entrance ( and it's also valid for wheloon ).

if you are willing to run a bit you can use the free teleporters...
Like for GH you will have to find them first, and they are not at the quest entrance.

Ah, Ok. That is less annoying. Damn that place is big though.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 2:27pm:
Ah, Ok. That is less annoying. Damn that place is big though.

In Stormhorns, two of the quests are an easy run.  Think Cabal or Feast in GH.  Three of them are a massive haul.  Think Chains of Flames in the desert.  There is a teleporter that is free that gets you about 70% of the way there. 

It's really not that big a deal.  Wheloon is even smaller.  It's designed to be a convenience thing.  You should pay for convenience.  I'd pay 3 shards to get dropped at the door to Chains of Flame.  I can't think of anyplace else in the Desert or in GH that I'd pay to be teleported to.  Or the Vale for that matter.  Or Amrath.  Or Kings Forest.  or Schindllryn.  Or High Road.  There's a few others though.  LoB and MA?  Amen.  I hate having to activate the elevator and then clear through the second adventure area for both of those raids.  Anything in the demonweb?  Yes sir. 

But then, none of those have a free teleporter that gets you close.   

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
They should fucking give a teleporter for LOB and MA but you shouldn't fucking have to pay for one, sheesh.

There is a reason why Shroud and TOD were popular, when, you know, people ran raids....

I miss drunken raiding, I haven't yelled at Americans in ages Sad

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 6:12pm:
They should fucking give a teleporter for LOB and MA but you shouldn't fucking have to pay for one, sheesh.

There is a reason why Shroud and TOD were popular, when, you know, people ran raids....

I miss drunken raiding, I haven't yelled at Americans in ages Sad

I used to LOVE raiding.  I hated TR'ing because it took a toon away from raiding.  I only TR'd to give me something to do when my toons were on timer. 

That said, I haven't run a single raid in over a month now.  FoT is great and all, but I have all the loot I need from it.  I've only got one toon that needs comms currently.  Of the rest of the raids, the Dragon raid is the only one that even appeals to me.  For the chance at an SoS shard and the XP from Von5.   (And it's still fun).

Now days, I pretty much TR constantly and run the new content/try to level my toons.  Raids are not an efficient way to level, for the most part.   I miss raiding.  I wish it was worthwhile.  That's why I liked Sith's idea so much. 

IP Logged

arjiwan
Titan Demolisher

I Love Comedy!

Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
What a wall of text...

...and I did not realize I read the whole thing.

Thanks for the awesome read.

DDO took 95% of my free time before and I am not even a hardcore player, now I can't even force myself to log in.

IP Logged

Groo The Wanderer
Titan Demolisher

did I err?

Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Great read man, and I think it describes so many players.

The most active guy in my guild, and I am talking a guy who worked full time and still managed to got 7+ hours a day in the game, just quit cold turkey. 4 months or so he just walked away from it all.

And he's not coming back either which shocks me because he's a founder, at his peak he was paying for 4 subs, he's probably spent around 10k since the game launched on TP and his subscriptions.

And he just walked away from all that investment.  He spends his gaming time now playing Civ 5, XCOM, or PS games by and large.

The one silver lining in the cloud of doom is that what used to be a weekly Thursday night guild run has rebooted Neverwinter Nights (not the MMO but the actual PC game).

We got a mod build a DM running things and we are building our toons and honestly have more fun for those 5 hours on any Thursday than I have had in DDO probably in the last 4 months.

It makes me sad to see the game continue to degrade but I honestly believe there is NOTHING that players can do to alter the course, this is how it's going to be.  The worst part is that when the game finally packs up they won't even realize that it was their decisions that caused it to die but will rack it up to being an old MMO in a market full of shiney new MMO's.   

Hell they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.

where's the cheese dip?

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 4:38am
Print Post  
Please post this on the main forums.  If you don't, I will (with attribution); it needs saying, and it needs saying like this.   Cool

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #17 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 9:08am
Print Post  
if it gets posted on the other side, I'll post my Morgan analogy too.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Groo The Wanderer
Titan Demolisher

did I err?

Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Who wants to bet it gets posted and then Locked in the same day though?

where's the cheese dip?

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Apart from doing a character copy to lama a few months ago for the enhancement pass, I haven't logged into the DDO forums since the downgrade, and don't plan on doing so anytime soon.

That said, I'd rather not see it posted over there. Cordovag would close it over dev butthurt, "arguments" in the replies, or simply wait for a few posts and then use his template reply for departure threads, which goes something like "Thanks for playing DDO, have a nice life". I would prefer to deny him that pleasure.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:36pm by Kimberlite »  

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #20 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
IMARANGER wrote on Sep 7th, 2013 at 3:50pm:
Awesome post!

I *gulp* wholeheartedly agree.

...I think I'm gonna go lie down fer a bit...

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Sep 9th, 2013 at 5:42pm:
I *gulp* wholeheartedly agree.

...I think I'm gonna go lie down fer a bit...

Don't worry.  He's still not up to beating a broken clock.  You're still good.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Stanley Nicholas
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
This is the definition of awesome.  I truly hope you reconsider about posting it over there.

IP Logged

Persiflage
Abbot Raider

Reply #23 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 4:23am
Print Post  
Stanley Nicholas wrote on Sep 9th, 2013 at 10:57pm:
This is the definition of awesome.  I truly hope you reconsider about posting it over there.

Aye, seconded.  I'll respect your wish to not post it over there - at least partly because I don't log in either Wink - but reserve the right to shamelessly plagiarize and concoct my own version.

stainer wrote on May 16th, 2013 at 9:26am:
Oh you are good. I will be watching you.

QuantumFX wrote on Jun 5th, 2013 at 11:11am:
You are an evil human being. 

m4lacka wrote on Mar 29th, 2014 at 7:04am:
wow that post hurt a lot more than any of the namecalling i expected. Now I see why ppl consider you evil.

IP Logged

knockcocker
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Sep 10th, 2013 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
arjiwan wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:01pm:
DDO took 95% of my free time before and I am not even a hardcore player, now I can't even force myself to log in.

Yeah, me too. Nice post OP, I think it captures beautifully
what a lot of people are feeling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint