Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Pure Monk (Read 64715 times)
Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Re: Pure Monk
Reply #175 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jan 4th, 2014 at 10:28pm:
You get used to reconstructs speed, fortunately there's no concentration check. If youve not tr'ed yet try out the alchemists pendant, its really nice on bladeforged monks.

Your summary definately comes down to opinion, imo cocoon doesnt compete with bladeforged recon at all given the opportunity cost of giving up a twist.

Ditto the saves, the failure differnce is unnoticeable,  but the fort is very obvious,  ive never been critted this life.

I dont bother with the capsones anyway on pures, i dont think theyre worth the ap investment. If you free up 6 or 8 ap (giving up ek) you can get +1 ki regen from kesai or henshin.

I do wish my lotus / petals / ein were better, but theres no way in hell id go back to fleshy, unbalancing strike is, a fort save, only useful on bosses, improved sunder is enoungh to make it work for everyone.

Personally once I get a couple of prr lives out of the way, im going to drop ek to the core enhancement only and spend 8 ap in henshin.

I use alchemists. It was an obvious choice for me since I HAVE to have a +ki item.

I actually plan on testing ki gen with mystic/shintao differences

-As-is
-Staff? (does cleave give ki per hit? not sure)
-Mystic with Crane?
-Contemplation + crane?
etc..

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #176 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Munk here's something else I think about.

pure DPS is quite secondary to me. On trash I can qp/stun.

Raw dps matters most on bosses/non-QP/stun mobs. For ME all DPS = is time. Essentially, I just need to SURVIVE long enough to kill the boss.

Obviously you could take that to an extreme where you are so defensive that your DPS is ANNOYINGLY slow. But in this case, I have QPALM to pwn trash. Also, I'm not saying I should DUMP dps.

But, I'm considering moving some dps APs into mystic for ki.

I REALLY wish heal amp was available in other trees. I'm addicted to heal amp on fleshies, so I can't abandon shintao completely... unless I go helf.. which I don't put past myself.

In fact, let's play theory for a second:

what's the best way to go pure monk MYSTIC (helf monk dilly)? Unarmed? Staff?  These are questions I'm asking myself atm.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #177 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 1:55am
Print Post  
There is no good way to go mystic, its less usefull than acrobat for a staff user and a terrible option when compared to shintao or ninja for 2wf.

Beyond the 8ap yield there is nothing worth investing in.
I will be going monkey for the stacking resists. 

Cleaves do give ki per hit, as well as proc shaken on everyone. I alays open up against groups of trash with a great cleave, then gmof abilities + qp, dismissing strike and more cleaves.

I dont find myself usung stunning fist as often as I was as a fleshy, mobs arent that threatening atm.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #178 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 1:59am
Print Post  
I dont mean to be rude, but I cant help but think that because of your boxing, you've not learnt how to play this build properly yet.

PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #179 - Jan 5th, 2014 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jan 5th, 2014 at 1:59am:
I dont mean to be rude, but I cant help but think that because of your boxing, you've not learnt how to play this build properly yet.

That's not rude. That's reasonable.

I'm not done playing with it. First off, I need to get to 28 to TR regardless. I'm not there yet. Secondly, I'm dumb. Thirdly.... is there a thirdly?

In any case, my lack of ability to play this guy is not lost on me at all. It doesn't solve some of the problems I have with DCs, but I'm sure it does with regard to ki and the SLA. I'll be working on it as I finish leveling it.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #180 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Meh, I've been playing this (munk's BF version that is) more. It's good. But, it's not good enough that I want to abandon the fleshie way. I still like my heal amp and healing curse/fol combo. I think heal curse actually allows me to be on-target more than the Bladeforged does since recon is slowish. So, the dps difference is probably minimal.

I'm going to try helf next life and go crazy wis. I have everything I need except a litany.

18 base
5 tome
7 levels
1 human
1 dilly
4 enh
2 capstone
7 levels
11 item
1 exc
3 insight
2 ship
5 destiny
2 acute instincts
1 great wis feat (not for CERTAIN yet on this)
1 profane
2 completionist
=73 standing in Mt Stance (

=79in water with yugo

81 with alchemicals
84 with actionboost (37 mod)

EiN= 20base+28charlvl+18=66 DC

Stun
10base
14 halfcharlvls
10 item
3 GMOF
6 tactics item
6 twist
31 wis mod in mt stance
3 ftr PL
2 epic feat
=85

QP
-4 (based on monk level)
+1 11 shattering item
=82 standing in mt non-yugo.

Water stance, yugo, +impsunder=

88 effective DC situationally.

HERE's one I'm liking more and more:

Unbalancing strike:

It follows the same save as QP except it's reflex. It's the best RED-NAMED damage mitigator I know of.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2014 at 1:37pm by Meat-Head »  

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #181 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
THEORETICALLY, unbalacing on EE LOB would mean he turns his back to you when you solo him...

I haven't tried that one yet though.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #182 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Red and purple bosses arent turned by unbalancing strike, they just becom susceptible to sneak attacks.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #183 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 8:21pm:
Red and purple bosses arent turned by unbalancing strike, they just becom susceptible to sneak attacks.

I swear I've turned red-names.

Wait.. No, I KNOW I have. I did EE WGU the other night and I was turning the end boss. Mind you, he turns right back, but it gives you a second of no dmg output from him.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #184 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Coincidence?

If its not thats a bug, used to be able to turn bosses with effects like this, it got changed to orange or less only years ago though.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #185 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I will be testing this tonight.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #186 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Confirmed that it works on some bosses.

EH/EE ID Boss- she stays turned for about 3-5 secs a pop; More like 2-3 in EE.
EH Battle for EH- worked on Beblith first time (turn for 5 sec) then it wouldn't. But it worked nearly every time for chick boss after bebe was dead.
EH Green Dragon- didn't work.
EH- Marut- couple seconds
EE- LOD Chick end boss 2 seconds ish. Maybe 3.
EE- Unquiet Graves boss- 2 secsish
EE- Beyond the Portal boss chick works

I'll add to this list as I can.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2014 at 11:37am by Meat-Head »  

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #187 - Jan 21st, 2014 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
In other news, did they ninja >10 stunning/shattering out of the loot table? I've been searching vendors, AH, and reward lists for them. I've never seen any recently. I was able to get some 11 wraps a while back. But that's the last time I've seen anything.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #188 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Hasn't it already been stated that imp sunder does not increase your quivering palm dc?

I think it has!

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #189 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 2:36am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 11:09pm:

EH ID Boss- she stays turned for about 3-5 secs a pop
EH Battle for EH- worked on Beblith first time (turn for 5 sec) then it wouldn't. But it worked nearly every time for chick boss after bebe was dead.

2 weeks ago or so, during a VoN6 pug, Velah turned its back to us. I don't know if it was someone using unbalancing strike. You may like to try it as well.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #190 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 12:57am:
Hasn't it already been stated that imp sunder does not increase your quivering palm dc?

I think it has!

If it has been stated, it was wrong.

There was some back and forth on this between Munk and Arkat a while back.

But, let me say: Imp sunder reduces mob fort saves by 3 effectively raising your QP dc by the same amount. Imp Sunder does this even when the mob FAIL THE SAVE against the other effects of Imp Sunder.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Improved_sunder

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #191 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 2:36am:
2 weeks ago or so, during a VoN6 pug, Velah turned its back to us. I don't know if it was someone using unbalancing strike. You may like to try it as well.

that is... awesome AND hilarious.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #192 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 8:15am:
that is... awesome AND hilarious.

Yep. For a second I thought I saw a pet behind the Velah. (How it can get there or if it's possible, I don't know as well) Maybe it reacted to that but I'm no sure, cause I was so happy stabbing Velah in the back. The whole pug was laughing so it was a fun moment.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #193 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 9:29am:
Yep. For a second I thought I saw a pet behind the Velah. (How it can get there or if it's possible, I don't know as well) Maybe it reacted to that but I'm no sure, cause I was so happy stabbing Velah in the back. The whole pug was laughing so it was a fun moment.

Interesting. There were three times when the green dragon DID turn around at the EXACT TIME I used the strike. But, I chalked it up to coincidence since he flips around for tail strikes. Plus, I was just constantly spamming the move. So, could have been a timing thing. But 3 times was a bit suspicious. Could be he just has high saves and when he turns he goes into tail attack.

Could be Velah rolled a 1 on save or something. I dunno, but I'm TOTALLY trying that next von6 i run.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #194 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 8:15am:
If it has been stated, it was wrong.

There was some back and forth on this between Munk and Arkat a while back.

This is a fight ive gotten into twoce, with arkat and chai, ill simplify it.

Taking the improved sunder feat does not provide a passive +4 boost to your quivering palm dc's.

Using improved sunder before quivering palm will lower the opponents fort save, it still does not boost your qp dc.

Tl;dr Epoch is right.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #195 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 10:10am:
This is a fight ive gotten into twoce, with arkat and chai, ill simplify it.

Taking the improved sunder feat does not provide a passive +4 boost to your quivering palm dc's.

Using improved sunder before quivering palm will lower the opponents fort save, it still does not boost your qp dc.

Tl;dr Epoch is right.

He's right with an asterisk. First because he uses steroids. Second because lowering fort save and upping DC are the same result. In any case, he was responding, apparently, to the part in my breakdown when I used the phrase "effective DC".

Also, the roids explain the rage.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #196 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 9:14pm:
I swear I've turned red-names.

Wait.. No, I KNOW I have. I did EE WGU the other night and I was turning the end boss. Mind you, he turns right back, but it gives you a second of no dmg output from him.

Are you wearing a greater deception item?

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #197 - Jan 22nd, 2014 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Jan 22nd, 2014 at 2:04pm:
Are you wearing a greater deception item?

Negatory sir. See post #186 for some testing I did on rednames.

No deception or greater deception. I hit UB Strike, and then they turn.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2014 at 4:19pm by Meat-Head »  

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #198 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Jan 21st, 2014 at 11:09pm:

EH/EE ID Boss- she stays turned for about 3-5 secs a pop; More like 2-3 in EE.
EH Battle for E.S.- worked on Beblith first time (turn for 5 sec) then it wouldn't. But it worked nearly every time for chick boss after bebe was dead.
EH- Marut- couple seconds
EE- LOD Chick end boss 2 seconds ish. Maybe 3.
EE- Unquiet Graves boss- 2 secsish
EE- Beyond the Portal boss chick works

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #199 - Feb 11th, 2014 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Dec 31st, 2013 at 8:14pm:
Speaking of Pure Monk, thinking of re-doing Arkat.

Currently he's an 18/2Ftr split WF with 3 past Monk Lives (4 Monk lives total). 72 QP and 77 SF DCs.

Want to either go pure and make him a Bladeforged or go 16/2Ftr/2Pal and stay a WF. In either event, I want to TR him three more times for the three Fighter past lives for the +3 to my QP and SF DCs. I could always stay an 18/2 WF and just get the three Fighter past lives too.

If I go the 16/2/2 WF route, my saves go up by +7 and the QP DC will wind up being 74 and SF DC will be 80. Enhancements would pretty much stay the same as I wouldn't put any APs into any of the Pal trees. If I went BF with this split, oh boy, talk about a headache! Too much good stuff in the BF tree to not get which would cause problems with my other trees.

If I go Pure, my QP DC will only go up to 73 and my SF DC will rise to 78. I'd also get all the Bladeforged Reconstruct/Forge buff goodness. I'd definitely have to change my Enhancements though but I wouldn't have to worry so much about spreading my APs across so many trees.

If I stay 18/2 and get the three Fighter past lives, I'd have a QP DC of 75 and a SF DC of 80. I wouldn't have to really change gear nor mess with my Enhancements.

There are reasons to take any one of the three paths. I'm just not sure which one I'll take.

I'm currently leaning towards the 16/2/2 path, however.

Meat, just thought you might want an update.

After much thought/debating with myself, I went the Pure 20 BF Monk route.

It came down to losing some DPS (the Precise Shot bug) and 2 DCs on my Stunning Fists with the 18Monk/2FTR build versus some nice defensive abilities, sneak damage of the Ninja Spy, higher Dodge cap, and some other things that my Pure build has.

I was able to mitigate some of the DPS loss somewhat with re-slotting some augment slots, the sneak damage from Ninja Spy, and adding a Deadly +10 item so the net result was much better defense (+8% more Dodge and Shadow Veil) and about the same DPS. The self-Reconstruction is nice but with 250 spell points, I can only do about 10 between rests. This is about the same number of Silver Flame pots I might consume between rests if I were doing something like tanking the SR without a healer but with the Recon, I don't suffer the -10 to stats and slowness thing so it's better than the SF pots.

I also didn't want to exploit by taking advantage of the Precise Shot bug mentioned above.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with the new Bladeforged Arkat.  Smiley 
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2014 at 6:17pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 
Send TopicPrint