Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Pure Monk (Read 64726 times)
Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Re: Pure Monk
Reply #150 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Dec 31st, 2013 at 8:14pm:
Speaking of Pure Monk, thinking of re-doing Arkat.

Currently he's an 18/2Ftr split WF with 3 past Monk Lives (4 Monk lives total). 72 QP and 77 SF DCs.

Want to either Go pure and make him a Bladeforged or go 16/2Ftr/2Pal and stay a WF. In either event, I want to TR him three more times for the three Fighter past lives for the +3 to my QP and SF DCs. I could always stay an 18/2 WF and just get the three Fighter past lives too.

If I go the 16/2/2 WF route, the QP DC will wind up being 74 and SF DC will be 80. Enhancements would pretty much stay the same as I wouldn't put any APs into any of the Pal trees. If I went BF with this split, oh boy, talk about a headache! Too much good stuff in the BF tree to not get which would cause problems with my other trees.

If I go Pure, My saves will be +7 higher but my QP DC will only go up to 73 and my SF DC will rise to 78. I'd also get all the Bladeforged Reconstruct/Forge buff goodness. I'd definitely have to change my Enhancements though but I wouldn't have to worry so much about spreading my APs across so many trees.

If I stay 18/2 and get the three Fighter past lives, I'd have a QP DC of 75 and a SF DC of 80. I wouldn't have to really change gear nor mess with my Enhancements.

There are reasons to take any one of the three paths. I'm just not sure which one I'll take.

I'm currently leaning towards the 16/2/2 path, however.

I'm still thinking about doing a 16/2/2 BF... Man those are strong. Especially when I find myself using TWO slots for heal amp.. cause i like heal amp..

I could get BETTER Tactics DCs, BETTER PRR, BETTER DPS... MOAR feats...

Only thing i lose out on is EiN/Lotus/Petals DCs, DR10 EPIC (replaceable+ with cloak);

Plus. I've never been a lover of the bots.. But dang BF make them hard to hate...

I'm really thinking about it..

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #151 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Dec 31st, 2013 at 8:22pm:
I'm still thinking about doing a 16/2/2 BF... Man those are strong. Especially when I find myself using TWO slots for heal amp.. cause i like heal amp..

Only thing i lose out on is EiN/Lotus/Petals DCs, DR10 EPIC (replaceable+ with cloak);

Plus. I've never been a lover of the bots.. But dang BF make them hard to hate...

Just so you know Meat, I changed the post you quoted. I made a big error in it originally.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2013 at 8:26pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #152 - Dec 31st, 2013 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Dec 31st, 2013 at 8:22pm:

The dr is factored in before prr, I'm seriously considering changing my gear set a bit and picking up the +6 tactics cloak and a cha holy burst ring.  I don't find the dr to be worth a slot.

You think too much though, your New Years resolution should be "just do it"

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #153 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Dec 31st, 2013 at 9:19pm:
The dr is factored in before prr, I'm seriously considering changing my gear set a bit and picking up the +6 tactics cloak and a cha holy burst ring.  I don't find the dr to be worth a slot.

You think too much though, your New Years resolution should be "just do it"

Ok.. well I picked up an EE Livewood today...

Here's one hesitation Munk:

I'm rockin enough heal amp that I often get by with just light curse and finisher and I reserve my cocoon for spikes. This has been working well in a lot of content-- even on EE. Places were it doesn't is like first room in TOR. I still haven't done any EE stormhorns on him yet, though. 

Anyway, I'm scared I will be spamming recon on a BF.

Gimmie a feel for this Munk.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #154 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
I used to roll with the max heal mp possible on war forged monks back in the day, I then ran with 300-400% as a helf monk.

My only regret having gone blade forged is the time I wasted on second and third pally lives.

I'm normally using shrines to reset my action boosts, not because of sp. the defenses are amazing.

PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #155 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jan 1st, 2014 at 9:19pm:
I used to roll with the max heal mp possible on war forged monks back in the day, I then ran with 300-400% as a helf monk.

My only regret having gone blade forged is the time I wasted on second and third pally lives.

I'm normally using shrines to reset my action boosts, not because of sp. the defenses are amazing.

But... But...But...

Ok.

Looks like it's time.

I have a heroic and epic ottos, so I'll be 25 in about 3 minutes..

IP Logged

TractorsareEpic
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #156 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Make sure you use a 50% XP pot this time Meat. Just saying! Tongue! Smiley! Cheesy! Lolz!
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2014 at 9:45pm by TractorsareEpic »  

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #157 - Jan 1st, 2014 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
TractorsareEpic wrote on Jan 1st, 2014 at 9:44pm:
Make sure you use a 50% XP pot this time Meat. Just saying! Tongue! Smiley! Cheesy! Lolz!

Sad

Good reminder..

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #158 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
So, I did it yesterday. I went with the BF.. I ETRed then TRed into BF, then used boxes to get back to 25.

I still wasn't sure if I wanted to stay pure or what... But pure doesn't work, because then I'm down a feat.

Then, if you're going to 18 monk, you might as well go to 16 since you don't lose much.

So, now I'm heading to a 16/2/2. I already bought a LR+3 to swap out pally levels. But I haven't done that yet.

I HAVE noticed my base damage is up about 15%ish just straight up. I haven't figured out why really. But Who cares. It's up.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #159 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Maybe you remembered to drink the 50% damage pot instead of the piddly 35% one.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #160 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 5:04pm:
Maybe you remembered to drink the 50% damage pot instead of the piddly 35% one.

OMG I remembered the pot when I did my epic box.. But I forgot voice and ship buff. I really just blow. It's unbelievable.

Anyway, I still made it to 25, and my first run of EH von3 was 196k.

25-28 isn't really bad. By the time I re-flag for crap, I'll be there. So, whatevs. Only annoying part is losing EE shadowsight for two levels. But I'll live.

EDIT: QUestion to people who ETRed- Do you use favor/flags?  I did Epic and then Heroic, so I lost all favor and such. But if you JUST epic TR do you lose that stuff? I hate having to re-run coin lord crap for bags, Amrath for yugo, reflagging for everything etc..
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2014 at 8:21pm by Meat-Head »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #161 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
ETR:
You don't lose favor
Your explorers don't reset
Your quests/challenges don't reset
You do remain flagged for everything you were flagged for previously.
You won't get bravery for anything you ran in a previous life.

You do lose 6million karma, virtually forcing you to run in that sphere back up to cap.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #162 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Pure monk thread turned into 16/2/2 thread Cheesy

Terebinthia wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 9:26pm:
the Wayward Lobster is a retard petting zoo.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #163 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
kierg10 wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:19pm:
Pure monk thread turned into 16/2/2 thread Cheesy

Hey, if you can't beat em...

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #164 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 9:23pm:
Hey, if you can't beat em...

spend 3 months and 6pages thinking about it before joining?

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #165 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 11:55pm:
spend 3 months and 6pages thinking about it before joining?

That's rather fast considering Meat's standard.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #166 - Jan 3rd, 2014 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jan 3rd, 2014 at 12:28am:
That's rather fast considering Meat's standard.

QFT

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #167 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I don't think I like it.

I did the bladeforged thing. I've run EE TOR, EE GH, EE Stormhorns (haven't done EE WGU yet), and some EE Eveningstar.

Here's what I've noted:

PROS

1. DPS is better than my human version. No question. On bosses, spamming hasteboost and Power of the Forge is awesome. It's about 15% higher probably. Really nice. (note my human had dmg boost, so that takes SOME of the awesome out)

2. QP and stun DCs are effectively slightly better. For ME, this was the draw as I found myself failing on my human in stormhorns EE and I don't want to fail a QP. Me no likey it.

3. The self-heal is hitting me for like 480 a pop. This would go higher with a repair augment. Getting a 30 sec haste for healing is silly good.

4. Running around with 200% fort is good. No, it's awesome. ESPECIALLY around those STUPID chain-whipping little freaks.

CONS

1. Even though it's a pro, the recon SLA is the biggest problem for me. It's slow (no room for quicken imo). It also takes up more SP than I like. MOST of the time, it's ok. But I've run out more than once where I drank pots. On my build I had like 500 sp. That's a 200 augment, 100 shroud sp, mental toughness and some wizzy sp. I could get it higher with some bumping of INT, some more PLs. BUT, it's finite. I felt like on my human I never ran out of self heals. FoL provides a LOT of heals. There were times I had to disengage to heal, but that will always be the case. Also, I LIKE the Heal over time quality of cocoon. Overall, I just like cocoon BETTER than the recon SLA.

2. lotus and EiN are lower. I didn't realize before how much that mattered. Dropping everything around on it's butt with lotus is actually really effective and mitigates a lot of damage. It isn't working well for me on the BF. ALso, I find a lot more saving to EiN. All this was expected. I just didn't realize how much I would care. Oh and dismissing strike is more useful than I thought. It takes a hit from the lower wis as well. Don't forget unbalancing strike-- which is awesome.

3. DAMNIT I HATE BEING OUT OF KI. I'm out constantly. Not having the monk capstone means even LESS as there's no source of passive regen out of water stance. I HATE THAT SO MUCH. I had some problems with this on my human too, but on the BF it's worse. I want that damn QP available every friggin' time it's off timer or as close to that as possible. That's just not happening right now. It's not close enough for my liking. In fact, I'm considering some other adjustments to the build for more ki.

4. Less pos energy healing is not as party-friendly in some ways. On my human, cleric auras would tick on my for 300-400 often. Now, it's 10% of that. No exaggeration.

5. I don't like robots in melee. I don't know what it is. It's literally not as appealing to my eye. It's not a big deal. But, it's not nothing. (I have a WF shiradi btw. Somehow arcanes don't bother me.)

6. THis is pretty far down the list, and it's related to number 5, but it always looks like WF are running slower to me. It's the animation. I don't know why. But I dislike it. Add to that the difference in run speed to the pure human monk I had before, and it bothers me some.

7. Pure human was better saves. That actually matters some.

SUMMARY:

Human better secondary monk DCS = WF better burst DPS

Cocoon+FoL >(slightly) Recon SLA  (if for NO other reason than I can toss a party member a cocoon to help)

Human Look/animation > BF Look (103% subjective)

WF Base defense (fort and PRR) > (slightly) Human Pure saves

Well, the look tips the scales. LOL!

TL;DR  I'll be going back to human. But, I enjoyed the BF experience, and I'll take the PL feat.  Too bad I dropped some money for the LR heart to swap pally for wizzy... :/

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #168 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Next question to overcome: How to go pure human, get higher PRR and Fort, higher QP dc than before, AND run out of ki as little as possible.

I'm looking at going into Mystic some. We'll see. PRR and FORT can and will come through more PLs either epic and/or iconic. Higher QP? Litany, and Great Wis feats? I dunno. Still thinking.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #169 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Just as an idea Monk 17/Fighter 2/Favoured soul 1.....if you aren't gonna go pure, getting divine might from 1 fvs splash could be nice (since even with dumped cha you can get decently high cha for more str), another option would be to get 2 more fighter levels instead of 2 monk levels (i.e., 15 m 4 fighter 1 fvs) and get another feat....

This would also open up empower healing for Cacoon....

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #170 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
You get used to reconstructs speed, fortunately there's no concentration check. If youve not tr'ed yet try out the alchemists pendant, its really nice on bladeforged monks.

Your summary definately comes down to opinion, imo cocoon doesnt compete with bladeforged recon at all given the opportunity cost of giving up a twist.

Ditto the saves, the failure differnce is unnoticeable,  but the fort is very obvious,  ive never been critted this life.

I dont bother with the capsones anyway on pures, i dont think theyre worth the ap investment. If you free up 6 or 8 ap (giving up ek) you can get +1 ki regen from kesai or henshin.

I do wish my lotus / petals / ein were better, but theres no way in hell id go back to fleshy, unbalancing strike is, a fort save, only useful on bosses, improved sunder is enoungh to make it work for everyone.

Personally once I get a couple of prr lives out of the way, im going to drop ek to the core enhancement only and spend 8 ap in henshin.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #171 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Btw im running with con op boots now, ive had 0 sp isses and have even started using the ek cleave, 3 cleaves is working really well for me.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #172 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Unless it was already answered, just curious as to why 2 wizzy instead of 2 sorc?

Sorc would give more sp....although there is the bonus feat for wizzy, would that be the advantage?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #173 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Wiz gives more sp thanks to mental toughness. I did the math somewhere in carpones thread, 2 wiz was for ek enhancements, ill reevaluate my split when I drop ek to core only.

Wiz also has better synergy, with int boosting their sp and my recon spell power.

IP Logged

kierg10
Shroud Slacker

Cuddly wuddly cats

Reply #174 - Jan 4th, 2014 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
aaah true, thanks for the reply.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Send TopicPrint