Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Pure Monk (Read 65005 times)
Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Re: Pure Monk
Reply #50 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Oct 12th, 2013 at 10:15am:
69 + imp sunder is really nice. But, it won't be no-fail in EE stormhorns, I think. Prolly will be anywhere else. Can you breakdown your DC and wis?

Stat spread breakdown:
(34 point build, human)Build is 16monk/2ftr/2pal

Str:16+3lvl+4tome+7item+2ins+1exc+1enh+2ship=36
Dex:14+4tome+8item+3ins+1exc-2earth+2ship=30
Con:14+5tome+8item+2ins+1exc+4earth+2ship=36
Int:10+4tome+2ship=meh
Wis:16+4lvl+5tome+11item+3ins+1exc+4enh+6gmof+2ship=52* score (+21 mod)
cha:8+4tome+7item+1ex+2ship=20

Tactics breakdown:
+10item+6exc+6legendary+2ED:tactician+3ftr(enh)+3gmof=+30* tactics bonus.
SF gets half character level: 28/2=14 dc to stun fist
QP gets half monk level: 16/2=8 do to quivering palm

SF: 10base+21mod+30tactics+14char=75 dc
QP: 10base+21mod+30tactics+8monk=69 dc

Now, I can obviously raise DCs by Buffing Wis score and Shattering and Stunning 14, TR'n into fighter 3 times over:

Be Aware that currently Shattering and Stunning wraps are giving bonuses opposite of each other:
Shattering gives stunning, Stunning gives shattering.
I find it hard to give up my current set up: Dun Robar Shattering and t4 Antipodal wraps.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #51 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
YaBB

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #52 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Oct 12th, 2013 at 11:37pm:
Stat spread breakdown:

Tactics breakdown:

Now, I can obviously raise DCs by Buffing Wis score and Shattering and Stunning 14, TR'n into fighter 3 times over:

Be Aware that currently Shattering and Stunning wraps are giving bonuses opposite of each other:
I find it hard to give up my current set up: Dun Robar Shattering and t4 Antipodal wraps.

What's this? That the epic tactics feat?

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #53 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Oct 13th, 2013 at 9:14am:
What's this? That the epic tactics feat?

Yes. It's the level 26/28 feat you can get if you have at least on of the EDs from the Melee Sphere maxed out.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #54 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Oct 12th, 2013 at 11:37pm:
Stat spread breakdown:

Tactics breakdown:

How tight are the AP's on this build? I'm not feeling the +5 saves from 2 paladin but I love the idea of the build overall. 2 ranger splash buys us an extra feat (twf), some extra devotion (I'm a sucker for light-path and tossing out healing finisher), and sprint boost to take the already stupid monk run speed and allow us to go plaid. What in Tempest now works with handwraps?

Also, assuming the 16mnk/2fig/2rng I'm trying to settle on a race.

• Dwarf gives 3 to all tactics. Dragonmark could be interesting at very little extra cost (basically talking 4 more AP to take it all the way to Radiant Force Field after getting +3 tactics). Only down-stat is charisma and that only effects Kukan-do and UMD.
  • Human gives another feat as well as +1 to all wis-based tactics and abilities thanks to core enhancements (more than +1 if we takes some of the boost options). We get double-boosts (haste + dmg). We get the saves boost which can be really handy in certain situations for it's 'no-fail on a 1'. Healing amp is a huge plus. Dragonmarks could be interesting but honestly with all the high level boosts to UMD now it's not that hard to have meaningful UMD even if it's not a class skill - only real benefit would be DDoor.
  • I'd normally toss them out but Half Orc can have a higher wisdom since they don't need to spend two level-ups in strength to qualify for Overwhelming Critical (I have a +5 str tome so 18 starting str + 5 tome gets me there). In addition I can boost my qp dc on a Horc very cheaply (T1 sunder dc) and get extra boosts/damage as well if I went deeper.
  • Warforged always makes me want to reject them out of the box due to healing penalties...but they're really the strongest of all options once you get past the -2 wisdom and healing amp. Being able to be repaired isn't a big deal but isn't negligible either. Fortitude bonuses from the core enhancements are a huge boon - being able to sit at 150-175% fort without any twists makes a pretty large difference. The AP's for fortitude, hp's, tactics, and power attack boosts are the best racial AP package for this build. Just not sure I could deal with 80% healing out of the gate instead of 100%+.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 5:40pm by Darkrok »  

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #55 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 5:14pm:

Just adding this to the mix:  Aside from looking horrible, Half elf could add the Rogue Dil for SA damage & the same stat ups as human.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 6:35pm by Aeolwind »  

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 6:35pm:
Just adding this to the mix:  Aside from looking horrible, Half elf could add the Rogue Dil for SA damage & the same stat ups as human.

I'd be more likely to take the fighter dilly if I went that route for the +2 dc's but the AP's are pretty expensive to pull that off (at least 17AP for the +2 to tactics). That's part of why I'm not a big fan of half elves - the backloading of the trees. That and looking horrible. Smiley

IP Logged

Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Reply #57 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:46pm:
I'd be more likely to take the fighter dilly if I went that route for the +2 dc's but the AP's are pretty expensive to pull that off (at least 17AP for the +2 to tactics). That's part of why I'm not a big fan of half elves - the backloading of the trees. That and looking horrible. Smiley

Fighter tactics shouldn't be able to stack with fighter dill. Not much point with 2 fighter then.

Personally I'm waiting on u20 to finish my completionist box as a monk. Max dps and 2 fighter away from max tactics with bladeforged 16 monk / 2 ranger / 2 fvs. Bladeforged gives tactics, -2 to opponent saves on hit, power of the forge, no pen to wis, and last quickened reconstruct.

I will be losing 3 dc from not having 2 fighter but 3 fighter pl and completionist should make do.

2 fvs because I don't want to waste a twist on turn undead, especially with more fate points from epic tr. 2 fvs also gives magical training and empowered healing in the case you don't want to go bladeforged. Smite weakness also makes raid and red names quicker.

The main issue here is sp, enough for recon and divine might. GS sp item, +225 sp augment, base and bauble should be enough for grouping.

2 ranger gives prr, and something else good... you can ask through pm.

I did sacrifice some saves from paladin levels.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 9:40pm by Sham »  

IP Logged

Deathdefy
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
I went 18 Monk / 2 Fighter - largely because of AP constraints.  Also 18 Monk is +1 DC over 16 which might be worth considering.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/427387-Bandwagon-QP-focused-18-Monk-2-...

is the build.  It's pretty uninspired apart from taking throwing feats which always go over well at the vault!

Logical changes if you care about dps more than I do would be to get the strength high enough to get OC (instead of epic Toughness), and drop Quick Draw and Rapid Shot for Cleave and Great Cleave.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2013 at 9:53pm by Deathdefy »  

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Sham wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 8:58pm:
Fighter tactics shouldn't be able to stack with fighter dill. Not much point with 2 fighter then.

Personally I'm waiting on u20 to finish my completionist box as a monk. Max dps and 2 fighter away from max tactics with bladeforged 16 monk / 2 ranger / 2 fvs. Bladeforged gives tactics, -2 to opponent saves on hit, power of the forge, no pen to wis, and last quickened reconstruct.

I will be losing 3 dc from not having 2 fighter but 3 fighter pl and completionist should make do.

2 fvs because I don't want to waste a twist on turn undead, especially with more fate points from epic tr. 2 fvs also gives magical training and empowered healing in the case you don't want to go bladeforged. Smite weakness also makes raid and red names quicker.

The main issue here is sp, enough for recon and divine might. GS sp item, +225 sp augment, base and bauble should be enough for grouping.

2 ranger gives prr, and something else good... you can ask through pm.

I did sacrifice some saves from paladin levels.

Good call on the fighter dilly. So used to not having fighter levels forgot about that part. I actually thought about Bladeforged for this build but I wasn't crazy about losing the healing amp (even more loss than WF'd) when I'm really in to the light finisher. Also thinking about going against the grain for Henshin T5 which would fit in pretty well with light (every light casts a shadow). Would be slick having QP, Void IV, and every light.

I definitely considered fvs or cleric splash over the ranger...fvs/cleric gives empower healing, PRR, etc...but I like the idea of having that sprint boost a lot. Smiley 18 monk/2 fighter is workable but at that point you're really only gaining 1dc on QP over staying pure since you could take a monk capstone for +2 wis and get +1 QP dc from monk levels. 10/epic isn't what it used to be but it's something...there are a few bene's still to being pure.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #60 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 5:14pm:
How tight are the AP's on this build? I'm not feeling the +5 saves from 2 paladin but I love the idea of the build overall. 2 ranger splash buys us an extra feat (twf), some extra devotion (I'm a sucker for light-path and tossing out healing finisher), and sprint boost to take the already stupid monk run speed and allow us to go plaid. What in Tempest now works with handwraps?

Dwarf gives 3 to all tactics. Dragonmark could be interesting at very little extra cost (basically talking 4 more AP to take it all the way to Radiant Force Field after getting +3 tactics). Only down-stat is charisma and that only effects Kukan-do and UMD.
    Human gives another feat as well as +1 to all wis-based tactics and abilities thanks to core enhancements (more than +1 if we takes some of the boost options). We get double-boosts (haste + dmg). We get the saves boost which can be really handy in certain situations for it's 'no-fail on a 1'. Healing amp is a huge plus. Dragonmarks could be interesting but honestly with all the high level boosts to UMD now it's not that hard to have meaningful UMD even if it's not a class skill - only real benefit would be DDoor.
    I'd normally toss them out but Half Orc can have a higher wisdom since they don't need to spend two level-ups in strength to qualify for Overwhelming Critical (I have a +5 str tome so 18 starting str + 5 tome gets me there). In addition I can boost my qp dc on a Horc very cheaply (T1 sunder dc) and get extra boosts/damage as well if I went deeper.
    Warforged always makes me want to reject them out of the box due to healing penalties...but they're really the strongest of all options once you get past the -2 wisdom and healing amp. Being able to be repaired isn't a big deal but isn't negligible either. Fortitude bonuses from the core enhancements are a huge boon - being able to sit at 150-175% fort without any twists makes a pretty large difference. The AP's for fortitude, hp's, tactics, and power attack boosts are the best racial AP package for this build. Just not sure I could deal with 80% healing out of the gate instead of 100%+.

The reason why I have 2 pal there is because its a leftover from a previous LR. Build used to be 12mnk/6pal/2ftr. Considering how they borked Defender stance + how awesome QP is that was a way to get it quick. I will do another LR to get rid of pally levels.

Possibly even get 2 ranger and Manyshot. Feats are incredibly tight but its doable.
That brings me to a second point: Human, extra feat and Hamp.
This build heavily relies on Cocoon for self-healing, every extra bit of Hamp and pos.spell power I can squeeze out without hurting the other areas. Its impossible to give up 180-200 hp per tick.
The only other race you could prolly go for is Helf, but then lose 1 feat, and spend more AP to get the same as human.
Of course, you can try other races and stuff. However, no other race will be able to reach same level of sufficiency as human.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #61 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
I did consider manyshot... 2 or 3 feats min but it could work. Definitely a thought.

IP Logged

Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Reply #62 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 11:40pm:
I did consider manyshot... 2 or 3 feats min but it could work. Definitely a thought.

You would want 10k star rather than manyshot on a high wisdom monk if it's only one or the other. You would want zen archery, 10k, manyshot, and maybe PBS and IC. You get bow str and rapid shot from 2 ranger.

IMHO, ranged is a bad idea to add further. With only 30 seconds when you are not on timer for 10k or manyshot for you to melee, you would just be an inferior monkcher that can QP. If you have no-fail qp, you should be using that whenever it's off timer charging your master's blitz effortlessly.

I really can't justify putting that many feats and enhancements into melee only to use it that sparingly. Plus I'm already working on a monkcher, I don't want to justify another 2 ranger lives.
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:24am by Sham »  

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Yeah, I thought about 10k too and doing throwing as well just to have a ranged option. I decided that I'd rather fit in something like Empower Healing with the divine splash, maybe a dragonmark on a human or dwarf, that sort of thing because you're right - if you can QP and stunning fist that reliably you're going to want to be doing that. It's a shame that my monkcher is also my best toon for doing this. I might end up burning his +20 heart to pick up a past life for this...have 3 fighter/monk/ranger on him so maybe a pally life with the +20 heart.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #64 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Sham wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:22am:
You would want 10k star rather than manyshot on a high wisdom monk if it's only one or the other. You would want zen archery, 10k, manyshot, and maybe PBS and IC. You get bow str and rapid shot from 2 ranger.

IMHO, ranged is a bad idea to add further. With only 30 seconds when you are not on timer for 10k or manyshot for you to melee, you would just be an inferior monkcher that can QP. If you have no-fail qp, you should be using that whenever it's off timer charging your master's blitz effortlessly.

I really can't justify putting that many feats and enhancements into melee only to use it that sparingly. Plus I'm already working on a monkcher, I don't want to justify another 2 ranger lives.

Hmm, at this point I really want the ranged option. So, its either Manyshot or 10k stars. Manyshot has 20 sec duration, 2 min cooldown. 10k stars has 30 sec duration and what was its cooldown?

IP Logged

Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Reply #65 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:58am:
Hmm, at this point I really want the ranged option. So, its either Manyshot or 10k stars. Manyshot has 20 sec duration, 2 min cooldown. 10k stars has 30 sec duration and what was its cooldown?

30 sec duration, 60 sec cool down for 10k star
20 sec duration, 120 sec cool down for manyshot

That's why I said if either or it's 10k star for high wis toons.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #66 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Sham wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 1:15am:
30 sec duration, 60 sec cool down for 10k star
20 sec duration, 120 sec cool down for manyshot

That's why I said if either or it's 10k star for high wis toons.

Well, I can't have both, so 10k stars without a doubt. In addition, assuming 2 ranger lvls, it doesn't require PBS like Manyshot does, but I assume it is still a must.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #67 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Oct 15th, 2013 at 10:19pm:
since you could take a monk capstone for +2 wis and get +1 QP dc from monk levels. 10/epic isn't what it used to be but it's something...there are a few bene's still to being pure.

Stop kidding yourself.

Splash.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #68 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 1:40am:
Stop kidding yourself.

Splash.

Name of the thread does state "Pure" Monk xD

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #69 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Anyone know if Empower Healing affects the lightx3 finisher or if it's just devotion/heal skill?

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #70 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 7:56am:
Name of the thread does state "Pure" Monk xD

Yea but whoever named this thread is a moron.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

NOTdarth
Puppy Farmer

Save the Planet, Kill
Yourself

Reply #71 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 9:09am:
Yea but whoever named this thread is a moron.

Only 53% though. Thus the build should have at least 53% Monk in it.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #72 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 9:47am
Print Post  
NOTdarth wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 9:42am:
Only 53% though. Thus the build should have at least 53% Monk in it.

QFT. I find this logic impervious to criticism.
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2013 at 9:48am by Meat-Head »  

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #73 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 9:05am:
Anyone know if Empower Healing affects the lightx3 finisher or if it's just devotion/heal skill?

none of the metamagics help trip pos finisher.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 3:09pm:
none of the metamagics help trip pos finisher.

Meh, I think I've got enough healing then that cocoon won't need Emp Healing. That kicks out the divine splashes and gets me back to pure, 18/2fig, or 16/2fig/2rng, rog, pal. I think race will fall out of the decision about class splits or at least I hope it does. I'd really like to TR to this after I'm done farming Mabar.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Send TopicPrint