Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) hotfix 3.19 (Read 41432 times)
iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Re: hotfix 3.19
Reply #125 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 11:06am
Print Post  
FakeStrake wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 5:30pm:
Maj: code is not magic
Turbine mgmt: ROI

End of story

Even with mgmt that are pure tools, a really good developer can sell them on just about anything.

ROI is a game mgmt plays.  Once you learn how to play it, it's not hard to get what you want.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #126 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 5:57pm:
You never had the fun to troubleshoot compiler generated bugs... Trust me Code do not always do what you told it to do... Unless you code in Assembler. In that case, kudos, in these days of Visual This or That you're an endangered species.

You think that's legitimately the issue here?  Or in 99.99% of flawed code?

I spent past years dissecting how certain VMs work, and in the languages I'm versed in, I can pretty well do anything I please.  Yes, I've found issues with certain build tools and implementations, specifically IBMs zSeries special snowflake JVM implementation and their SQLJ language that I ran bareback on that box w/o paying for their overpriced web containers. It's actually not that hard to find those types of bugs, if you build in different environments using more than one compiler tool.  The one that compiles, but doesn't act like the others is the issue.  Doesn't happen often though, nowhere near the prevalence of your average developer completely missing run of the mill edge cases.

Truly good developers are always an endangered species.  I was mentored by some of the best, talk to others yearly (the ones that write the books that O'Rielly churns out), and I've mentored a tiny few kids that were capable and ambitious enough.  The vast majority of the developers churned out the education system will never be anything more than average code punchers that do exactly what mgmt tells them and wouldn't have any vision even if they dropped acid before they sat at a computer.

I got hired into an organization that had a huge, rapidly grown, tightly coupled, code base (millions of lines and hundreds of applications, thousands of pieces of source) that used to throw tremendous numbers of very real business exceptions on a regular basis that required all kinds of manual intervention on a regular basis.  It took a while, but it all got tamed and I'd say I re-designed almost every major area of their system all while keeping it running and new parts got swapped in an old shit got excised.  It's really no different than surgery (and vastly easier I'd argue).  You can replace just about anything in the human body, provided you know how and where to cut and how to keep the patient alive while you do so.  The problem isn't that coding is hard, it's that people are stupid.  No educational system teaches how to work on enterprise scale systems safely.  You either learn that from people who already know how to do it or you don't, most don't.

I've thrown plenty of things into high volume production environments without even bothering to do more than compile them, as long as I'm confident in my language skills and I'm satisfied as to the risk profile (I don't recommend that to 99.99% of developers).  Most developers fold like cheap suits the minute you quiz them on the languages they work in.  They know the terms they use everyday, and that's about it.  I'm only special in that if I'm going to bother to learn a language or an environment, I'm going to take the time to master it.

Code doing exactly what you tell it to is going to be accurate in most all the cases that matter.  Developers being mediocre coders is far more common than them getting bit by an obscure compiler flaw.  Frankly most of them couldn't find those even if they knew they existed, they'd just try something else until it gave them one successful test result.  Roll Eyes

ETA:  I did some time learning Assembler back in the day.  Virtually never used it for anything since I never went into the engineering side and chip design that I studied for a while in college.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2014 at 11:50am by iliveyourdream13 »  

IP Logged

AngryKobold
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #127 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
that is pretty accurate. Especially the Kobold part.
I'd move lag higher.

So if New Races = 10% and Kobolds = 5% does that mean a Kobold Iconic is at 15% priority?!?!?!?

*drools....*

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #128 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 11:45am:
You think that's legitimately the issue here?  Or in 99.99% of flawed code?

No... I was just pointing to facts.
Assembler is the less bug prone language...
Almost the only bugs can can be generated by assemblers are the bugs generated by the coder.
( there's still that occasional compiler bug )

As for Java... You don't want to know what I think of Java. You really don't want to know. 

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #129 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 2:06pm:
No... I was just pointing to facts.
Assembler is the less bug prone language...
Almost the only bugs can can be generated by assemblers are the bugs generated by the coder.
( there's still that occasional compiler bug )

As for Java... You don't want to know what I think of Java. You really don't want to know. 

If Assembler were even remotely useful as an abstraction layer for expressing intent, I'd say yes.  Unfortunately, it's not.

Compilers, to the extent they have bugs, can be caught simply by diversification of compilers.  The coder can solve that problem pretty easily if they choose.  The fact that most languages in use have free compilers makes the excuses of the past (I don't want to pay for different compilers) even less meaningful.

Meh, every language has its uses.  What I think of any one particular one isn't really important, and I could honestly care less about those who go to war over them.  They're simply different modes of expression.  I'd argue, given enough study, you can make almost any language do any particular task, even if some lend themselves better to certain types of problems than others.  I've seen things solidly built in languages that people would say were never possible in language xyz.  Since most VMs are increasingly unconcerned with the language used to generate the machine code, it makes even less sense to emotionally invest in hating this language or that one.  They're all less than perfect, as if one could ever be.

If I have any dislike for any languages at all, it's simply the proprietary ones, but solely based on the politics of having to own/invest in a particular ecosystem to use them, not on their actual makeup or usefulness as a language. 

Or, if you hate them all, you can create your own DSL anyhow for a VM.  That gets more trivial by the day.

One day someone will create one where I can simply tell the IDE verbally what it is I want to write, and I've never have to hit another fucking semicolon or brace key again in my life.  Until someone creates that vIDE, everyone else is squabbling over peanuts.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2014 at 3:41pm by iliveyourdream13 »  

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #130 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 5:57pm:
Unless you code in Assembler. In that case, kudos, in these days of Visual This or That you're an endangered species.

I remember writing in machine code. ofc, I also remember punch cards for loading fortran.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #131 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:02pm:
1. Develop new content (25%)

From what we've heard from the producers earlier this year, this needs to be split up into two sections. 20% for new permanent content; 5% for new events content.

Remember one of the producers said that there's a renewed focus on limited events such as the rugby in House K. Seems a bit pointless to continually release new limited events that break and players never get to take full advantage of the events, IE Mabar and now Traveler.

And some of the events should be on full time anyway, such as DeGenev Brothers or Build Your Guild.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #132 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 8:12am:
In other unrelated news, Update 21 stealth "fixed" Let Sleeping Dust Lie "rubble pile" that was used for jumping to the the 2nd floor. It is nigh impossible to jump up the rubble now.

Really? Why do we need to spend "dev time" fixing things that belong to quest geometry? These are not exploits! They were found by using trial and error, and deserve to be part of the quest strategy, be it a perch spot, a jumping spot, or a shortcut.    Angry

Quests that got the short end of the stick so far: Maze of Madness, Gianthold Tor, Let Sleeping Dust lie...

One of their issues was geometry reuse. They would resize the geometry for a stuck point and later find out it caused issues in other dungeons. They don't have an effective tracking program for their objects or code.

In this case, it was probably a dev "pet project".

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #133 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 2:59am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:24pm:
I remember writing in machine code. ofc, I also remember punch cards for loading fortran.

Ah Punching Cards...

If you want I have at home a piece of one of the first IBM ever installed in France...
It's a book sized module with 8 LAMPS on top of it. My mum used to work with it, in the 60s/70s.
It trumps Card Punching.  Cheesy

iliveyourdream13 wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 3:40pm:
If Assembler were even remotely useful as an abstraction layer for expressing intent, I'd say yes.  Unfortunately, it's not.

Assembler is not abstracting anything... But at least it can produce compact and fast code.

What I have against Java is also have against any language that use the same kind of tech and VMs. Too many points of failure.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #134 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 22nd, 2014 at 2:59am:
My mum used to work with it, in the 60s/70s.

Luckily, I only had one legacy piece of gear to deal with. I am not as old as your mum, 40's and climbing....
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2014 at 9:58am by mystafyi »  

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #135 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:24am:
Drow cosplay costume of Tolero?

wow it is true: blackface is slimming.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint