Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) hotfix 3.19 (Read 41434 times)
iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Re: hotfix 3.19
Reply #100 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 2:55pm:
It is not that really.
Some of the things suggested, automated code checking exc. are awesome for our new game...and this does exist on IC. 
For this thing, the 7+ years of who knows how many toes have been in the code pool. I doubt HAL 9000 could see down all the rabbit holes of a 7 year old MMO by any company.
Unlike something that you can tie a ribbon and version off, MMO's stay live. They have to always be backwards compatable. You cannot break legacy. These kinds of things stop us from doing 'the right thing'. We know how to fix say, handwraps. But to fix it, and version successfully, and not break people, or now god forbid support two types of handwraps...it's ROI. Some investments are just not worth the pain. Sadly there are many of these warts now in DDO. And maybe there is an argument that there were times that we should have been more aggressive about revamping things, killing others, exc.
Now take all of that, apply shared scripting that the ancients used, and attempt to untangle the web.
Why does it get missed. Sheer numbers usually. I have a few, you have many. You find the edge cases or the thing missed. 20000 vs the few.
It's cool, QA is used to the hate. We still have your back. You have no idea how much pain we spare you from.
Lag is the hands down biggest deal right now. It has a refocus on it...again. We have found some things, that again were designed poorly by the ancients that we can fix and hopefully help in raids, and big ass party situations.

Meh, I've rebuilt legacy code bases before.  You need someone smart enough to figure out the contact points where you can cleave out the old safely and put in the new.  For every ninety-nine people that tell you something is too hard, there's one person who can see how to do it.  Hire that person.

I've done it before with code bases no one was willing to touch, no one understood, and everyone just thought worked like magic.

Code isn't magic.  It does exactly what you tell it to do.  The fact that most people writing it have little idea how to tell it to do what they really want is the problem.   Roll Eyes

ETA:  You all let go of the person who was taking it on their own time to fix hirelings.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2014 at 5:17pm by iliveyourdream13 »  

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #101 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
It is not that really.
Some of the things suggested, automated code checking exc. are awesome for our new game...and this does exist on IC. 
For this thing, the 7+ years of who knows how many toes have been in the code pool. I doubt HAL 9000 could see down all the rabbit holes of a 7 year old MMO by any company.
Unlike something that you can tie a ribbon and version off, MMO's stay live. They have to always be backwards compatable. You cannot break legacy. These kinds of things stop us from doing 'the right thing'. We know how to fix say, handwraps. But to fix it, and version successfully, and not break people, or now god forbid support two types of handwraps...it's ROI. Some investments are just not worth the pain. Sadly there are many of these warts now in DDO. And maybe there is an argument that there were times that we should have been more aggressive about revamping things, killing others, exc.
Now take all of that, apply shared scripting that the ancients used, and attempt to untangle the web.
Why does it get missed. Sheer numbers usually. I have a few, you have many. You find the edge cases or the thing missed. 20000 vs the few.
It's cool, QA is used to the hate. We still have your back. You have no idea how much pain we spare you from.
Lag is the hands down biggest deal right now. It has a refocus on it...again. We have found some things, that again were designed poorly by the ancients that we can fix and hopefully help in raids, and big ass party situations.

See, for most of us and I mean most, that bolded bit is the one thing that can make us happy. I can live with other bugs that are simply an irritation factor compared to lag  Wink

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #102 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 4:23pm:
For every ninety-nine people that tell you something is too hard, there's one person who can see how to do it.  Hire that person.

Maj: code is not magic
Turbine mgmt: ROI

End of story

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #103 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
iliveyourdream13 wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 4:23pm:
Code isn't magic.  It does exactly what you tell it to do.  The fact that most people writing it have little idea how to tell it to do what they really want is the problem.   Roll Eyes

You never had the fun to troubleshoot compiler generated bugs... Trust me Code do not always do what you told it to do... Unless you code in Assembler. In that case, kudos, in these days of Visual This or That you're an endangered species.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

HairyO
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #104 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I'd love to see a list from Turbine setting out what they see as the most important use of their time, and a % of overall time dedicated to it. We then get to comment on it and maybe we end up seeing what we want.

Something like this:

1. Develop new content (25%)
2. Develop new races (10%)
3. Develop new classes (10%)
4. Fix exploits which cost us money (10%)
5. Fix lag (10%)
6. Fix easy bugs (10%)
7. Update old content (5%)
8. Update Enhancements (5%)
9. Update EDs (5%)
10. Kobolds (5%)
99. Fix bugs which were placed in the too hard basket years ago (0.1%)
100. Fix exploits which make us money (0.1%)

Because at least to me and the people I play with, the direction Turbine is heading and the things they see as important seem to be completely different to what we want.

We love D&D and we love playing as a group, but are just getting sick and tired of so many small things in the game. Its still a great game, but its very much a case of a death by a thousand papercuts.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #105 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
ILoveExploits wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:05pm:
Maj, seriously now the lag is 50% of the problem in this game. Every time we have a new pack we have the freezing lag of death. I ran the raids 1 time each and i have no intention to play it again cos the lag. Why the crippling lag in EVERY NEW PACK?

Most of the ppl just give up to try it cos the lag...

Because the devs have the default approach that more mobs = more challenge, rather than being innovative.  And when you max the mob count, you quintuple the HP?  Job done.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #106 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:02pm:
I'd love to see a list from Turbine setting out what they see as the most important use of their time, and a % of overall time dedicated to it. We then get to comment on it and maybe we end up seeing what we want.

Something like this:

5. Fix lag (10%)
6. Fix easy bugs (10%)
9. Update EDs (5%)
10. Kobolds (5%)

Because at least to me and the people I play with, the direction Turbine is heading and the things they see as important seem to be completely different to what we want.

We love D&D and we love playing as a group, but are just getting sick and tired of so many small things in the game. Its still a great game, but its very much a case of a death by a thousand papercuts.

Whilst this seems like a logical approach, it would only make matters worse.
Having asked people what they want, you would get such diversity of opinion (especially with a long list) as to be almost unworkable.  And then any decision made that differed from the feedback would alienate that group having perceived to have been ignored.

And going with the simple majority may not be right either.  They may not be the ones that fund the ongoing development of DDO.
No business is going to lay out their business plan and ask their customers for advice.
They have taken a middle ground with the Player's Council which is a focus group.
It's 30 different people presumably representing the diverse interests.
What you get now is not consensus, but enough diversity of viewpoints to allow you to avoid some major blunders - which turbine is renowned for.  It has the potential to work, just depends on the willingness of turbine decision makers to listen.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #107 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:03pm:
Because the devs have the default approach that more mobs = more challenge, rather than being innovative.  And when you max the mob count, you quintuple the HP?  Job done.

The lag and instant red alert are the most stupid thing i ever seen.

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #108 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
HairyO wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:02pm:

Something like this:

5. Fix lag (10%)
6. Fix easy bugs (10%)
9. Update EDs (5%)
10. Kobolds (5%)

that is pretty accurate. Especially the Kobold part.
I'd move lag higher.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #109 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Lag is the hands down biggest deal right now.

Player retention is your biggest deal right now.

Me & most of the people I grouped with didn't quit over lag, we quit due to:
1st. Endgame turning into a no synergy xp grind (Karma should not be tied to spheres.)

2nd. Equipment / Enhancement / ED bugs that prevent characters from working as intended.
eg:
Flameblades / Celestias constantly being fucked up by abilities
Handwrap bugs
Throwing weapon crit mods
non str - damage mods

3rd. Stop bumping the character levels, Even going up to 30 is a bad idea.  The player base is too small and too fragmented now, another increase of the cap is not a good idea. 

4. Change all the N/H/E named loot so that the hard/elite versions have the same ML as it's normal counterpart.

5. Stop fucking around with shit like 3bc.  Make old raids epic, Don't make them ingredient based. Give them 1/2/3% drop rates, stop selling raid timer bypasses.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2014 at 7:21pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #110 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 7:12pm:

1st. Endgame turning into a no synergy xp grind (Karma should not be tied to spheres.)

2nd. Equipment / Enhancement / ED bugs that prevent characters from working as intended.
eg:
Handwrap bugs
non str - damage mods

3rd. Stop bumping the character levels, Even going up to 30 is a bad idea.  The player base is too small and too fragmented now, another increase of the cap is not a good idea. 

4. Change all the N/H/E named loot so that the hard/elite versions have the same ML as it's normal counterpart.

5. Stop fucking around with shit like 3bc.  Make old raids epic, Don't make them ingredient based. Give them 1/2/3% drop rates, stop selling raid timer bypasses.

this

IP Logged

Shadehater

Smite Stupid!

Reply #111 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Most of the flame blade and celestia thing could be fixed by changing things that increase enh value to just give a flat +1 hit/dmg

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #112 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 8:12am
Print Post  
In other unrelated news, Update 21 stealth "fixed" Let Sleeping Dust Lie "rubble pile" that was used for jumping to the the 2nd floor. It is nigh impossible to jump up the rubble now.

Really? Why do we need to spend "dev time" fixing things that belong to quest geometry? These are not exploits! They were found by using trial and error, and deserve to be part of the quest strategy, be it a perch spot, a jumping spot, or a shortcut.    Angry

Quests that got the short end of the stick so far: Maze of Madness, Gianthold Tor, Let Sleeping Dust lie...
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2014 at 8:13am by Alex DeLarge »  

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #113 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:01am
Print Post  
tho i dont like the change in sleeping dust, but i understand the reason behind it - i find solving it by invisible wall really cheap solution - if they want make the top of the heap unreachable, they should make it look so. This is just poor design solution - and pretty inconsistent. Why in one quest is exactly the same solution encouraged (lost in swamp - bonus chest on pillar) and prohibited in other one?

Active approach to dungeon and combat (using terrain and tactic advantages) is imho significant feature, which makes DDO different from other MMORPGs.

And actually i dont mind the change - sleeping dust is walk in park and actually much easier on elite then on norm:)

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #114 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 8:12am:
In other unrelated news, Update 21 stealth "fixed" Let Sleeping Dust Lie "rubble pile" that was used for jumping to the the 2nd floor. It is nigh impossible to jump up the rubble now.

Really? Why do we need to spend "dev time" fixing things that belong to quest geometry? These are not exploits! They were found by using trial and error, and deserve to be part of the quest strategy, be it a perch spot, a jumping spot, or a shortcut.    Angry

Quests that got the short end of the stick so far: Maze of Madness, Gianthold Tor, Let Sleeping Dust lie...

That sucks. Way to go, Turbine. Gave higher priority to "fixing" a silly jump spot to skip 25% of a long quest over fixing game-breaking lag issues and ladder bugs that's as old as the game.

Or was this a long time planning?

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #115 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:24am
Print Post  
NOTSunnyshadow wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:18am:
That sucks. Way to go, Turbine. Gave higher priority to "fixing" a silly jump spot to skip 25% of a long quest over fixing game-breaking lag issues and ladder bugs that's as old as the game.

Or was this a long time planning?

Yup, all the right priorities....   Angry
If it is any benefit to players......

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #116 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:31am
Print Post  
balls deep.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #117 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:57am
Print Post  
while it probably took all of 10 seconds to add/resize an invisible wall on top of some rocks, it does kinda bother me that this was addressed. I've always been an advocate of using the terrain to your advantage. Is that not the entire idea of DnD, to make use of what you have and your surroundings as best as you can while remaining within the predefined rule set? The game determines the rules, and if it lets me stand on top something or skip an objective, then I'm doing it right.

I understand that whoever created the quest did not intend for it to be completed in this manner, but I find it a waste of resources to change something that has no negative affects on any consumer, again, while long time complaints are still unaddressed.

Also this:
Munkenmo wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 7:12pm:

eg:
Handwrap bugs
non str - damage mods

too long didnt read: You could have addressed a bug that pissed off 20000 players but instead chose to fix a bug that pissed off 2 devs.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:03am by eighnuss »  

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #118 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:01am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:57am:
too long didnt read: You could have addressed a bug that pissed off 20000 players but instead chose to fix a bug that pissed off 2 devs.

But those 2 devs have EXXXXXXTREME PREJUDICE!!!1111!1!!1

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #119 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:04am
Print Post  
while it probably took all of 10 seconds to add/resize an invisible wall on top of some rocks, it does kinda bother me that this was addressed. I've always been an advocate of using the terrain to your advantage. Is that not the entire idea of DnD, to make use of what you have and your surroundings as best as you can while remaining within the predefined rule set? The game determines the rules, and if it lets me stand on top something or skip an objective, then I'm doing it right.

I understand that whoever created the quest did not intend for it to be completed in this manner, but I find it a waste of resources to change something that has no negative affects on any consumer, again, while long time complaints are still unaddressed.

This definitely. I don't know what's going on in their heads, they'd rather focus on things like this, than actual bugs.

I haven't read this whole thread, but if u're referring to "Let the sleeping dust lie", then I can tell u, that I frickin hate that quest, and the only way I would even do it, was to do the jump thing.

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #120 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 8:12am:

1) maybe vale is close to getting epic treatment, hence the fix?
2) what was the tor change?

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #121 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:34am
Print Post  
blu dragon or white dragon pillar thing i guess

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Re: hotfix 3.19uo
Reply #122 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:34am
Print Post  
I've always been an advocate of using the terrain to your advantage. Is that not the entire idea of DnD, to make use of what you have and your surroundings

DnD allowed me to equip my character with ropes for climbing, turbine needs to sell ropes and snakes and ladders in the ddo store now to compensate the 20000 players for this change

Quote:

Grin

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #123 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Hey Maj, do you ( could you say more) have more info regarding 2 things ?
2 stacking DC on Thunderforged
Plans on "fixing" Colours

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #124 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Gringo wrote on Mar 21st, 2014 at 10:34am:
blu dragon or white dragon pillar thing i guess

Blue, white still works fine, But doesnt even matter if youre monkcher anyway, so.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.ďż˝ Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.ďż˝ They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint