Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Pay to Win (Read 24591 times)
Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Re: Pay to Win
Reply #25 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Fair enough.  You are by far a better person to talk to on here than some, as you actually seem to understand how conversations work.

To simply answer your statements.  It really doesn't matter if it is full of P2W, and someone else paying to win does not affect me in the slightest. 

There is a line that I have for how far I'm willing to let p2w affect the game...that is when they design roadblocks that are infuriating in game so that the p2w option is the only one that is really viable. (see stormhorns teleport dude)  They could have let you unlock teleporting right to the quest as proven in e3BC, but they chose not to.

Another good example is the when the Reroll loot button was much larger and in the spot that the old 'loot all' button was located in.

IP Logged

DropBear

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #26 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Shadehater wrote on Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:00pm:
There is a line that I have for how far I'm willing to let p2w affect the game...that is when they design roadblocks that are infuriating in game so that the p2w option is the only one that is really viable. (see stormhorns teleport dude)  They could have let you unlock teleporting right to the quest as proven in e3BC, but they chose not to.

Another good example is the when the Reroll loot button was much larger and in the spot that the old 'loot all' button was located in. 

I agree with your sentiments on this and with your examples - they have started to cross a line.
I think options should be available to those who want them, but they should not engineer the game to make the pay option almost obligatory.

That reroll button was really poor implementation.  It came across as deliberately deceptive - particularly given the location and no conformation at the time.

If they ever get the dumb idea to make AS mandatory to do something, they will alienate a large portion of the player base who would find that strategy very unpalatable.

IP Logged

deftest
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 12:06am
Print Post  
so what the fuck am i winning in ddo you idiots?

the question was asked earlier in the thread and the only responce were to the effect of i dont really know but its p2w because i said so

spewing as much vitreol as the chicken nuggets you call brains can muster in responce to people who find the assertions your making ridicoulos is about the lvl of intelligence that people expect from you imaranger or is it imaretard ?

IP Logged

Fire Foot
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 12:20am
Print Post  
deftest wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 12:06am:
so what the fuck am i winning in ddo you idiots?

the question was asked earlier in the thread and the only responce were to the effect of i dont really know but its p2w because i said so

spewing as much vitreol as the chicken nuggets you call brains can muster in responce to people who find the assertions your making ridicoulos is about the lvl of intelligence that people expect from you imaranger or is it imaretard ?

OH MY GOD!!! your Atomic mew aren't you!? ha ha! I caught you! you used the "spewing" and "vitreol" in a post again see!?

Ha ha! caught!

Boy I am one smart fella! Grin

IP Logged

Fire Foot
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Shadehater wrote on Aug 15th, 2014 at 11:00pm:
Fair enough.  You are by far a better person to talk to on here than some, as you actually seem to understand how conversations work.

Oh yeeeeeeeeeah.....

« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2014 at 12:25am by »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 12:41am
Print Post  
deftest wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 12:06am:
so what the fuck am i winning in ddo

Wait, what? What are you winning in any MMO? Battles? Quests? Loot? Character levels? More power? Or do you expect some Game Over Thanks For Playing sign at the end of it so that it fits in nicely with your definition of winning?

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Shadehater

Smite Stupid!

Reply #31 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 12:41am:
Wait, what? What are you winning in any MMO? Battles? Quests? Loot? Character levels? More power? Or do you expect some Game Over Thanks For Playing sign at the end of it so that it fits in nicely with your definition of winning?

IP Logged

deftest
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 12:41am:

wow you really are a fuckwit but certainly not undeserving

if thats your defination of winning then nothing the store sells is needed to win ....since ive done all on your list without a single store bought item

its pay for convienance poc, pay for shortcuts pos or some other pithy acronym

is the game becoming filled with needles monetization sure it is..... is it p2w nope not even in the same zipcode

well i guess not entirely true since quests need to bought to "win" them but since some are free i guess you can win on those
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2014 at 2:03am by deftest »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #33 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 2:53am
Print Post  
IMARANGER wrote on Aug 15th, 2014 at 8:06pm:
Yes, DDO has gone with full-on P2W.  If you think it's not, you are a dumb loser.  Reasonable people can disagree about whether or not the P2W model is a good one, but only unreasonable forumtards and basement dwellers argue that DDO isn't P2W.  There are more of those in this thread than there are on the entire DDO Vault:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/446913-Pay-to-quot-win-quot

Turbine seems to have done a pretty good job of easing folks into the full-on P2W model.  It won't be long before they can sell anything at all in the DDO Store and the game still won't be considered P2W by some of these forumtards.

Since I can't access the mother boards from here, I'll just assume you're an idiot.

For the record: the only thing I consider P2W right now are epic destinies. You pay for that, or you suck.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 2:54am
Print Post  
The game has some P2W stuff but it's far from full-on P2W.
- we don't have to spend AS/TP to open epic chests
- we don't have to spend AS/TP to be able to wear or wield named/raid/epic items
... and many more things that other games have.

Buying otto's boxes to effectively shorten your playtime will not make you a winner. Past life feats are not "uber roxxor"

5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 2:53am:
For the record: the only thing I consider P2W right now are epic destinies. You pay for that, or you suck.

This.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2014 at 2:56am by Illetirated »  

IP Logged

Fire Foot
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Just allow me to say how absurd it is to have Exploit lovers bitching about P2W!

Really leveraging money is just another way to exploit a quality for gain, like cleverness, connections, large guild, whatever.

The only thing that could ever bother me was if they offered a way to P2MOL, or pay to make others lose.

I now return to smart ass commenting, fucking with big heads, and match-making for the love lorn

Grin
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2014 at 3:32am by »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #36 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Just thinking out loud but does p2w even matter at all when its so easy to cheat in the game?

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #37 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 4:51am
Print Post  
Pay to cheat! Isn't that what raid timer bypasses are?

I heard people got permabanned way way back for bypassing raid timers.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 5:02am
Print Post  
deftest wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 1:59am:
wow you really are a fuckwit but certainly not undeserving

if thats your defination of winning then nothing the store sells is needed to win ....since ive done all on your list without a single store bought item

its pay for convienance poc, pay for shortcuts pos or some other pithy acronym

is the game becoming filled with needles monetization sure it is..... is it p2w nope not even in the same zipcode

well i guess not entirely true since quests need to bought to "win" them but since some are free i guess you can win on those

Youre a super duper retard. Beyond just normal conventional retards. Who gives a fuk what you did without store items? Was that the topic? Maybe to you p2w = cant be done without store items, but youre retarded, so. You simpleton ass to tongue scraping mouth breather.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2014 at 5:03am by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

DropBear

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #39 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 5:21am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 4:51am:
Pay to cheat! Isn't that what raid timer bypasses are?

I heard people got permabanned way way back for bypassing raid timers.

Now you're just throwing fuel on the bonfire...   
Wink

IP Logged

KingLurker
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 6:10am
Print Post  
This thread amazes me for 2 reasons.

1st how people bother with terms like that in a fucking VIDEO GAME. Pay to win...you pay the game for various reasons , but it is a game versus pre-programmed , with close to zero artificial intelligence PIXELS...and u cry for P2 winning? I'd cry if u managed to lose , pre-historic lifeforms..

2nd I am amazed by the sheer power of will from Dropbear to try and structure a conversation with the people that are starting such thread..../applause.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #41 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 7:00am
Print Post  
People buy Boxes, xp pots, fucking pets, tomes, augments.
Turbine introduces more xp needed, doesn't have to do almost anything content / quality wise, fuck the droprates in game.
It's simple.
Short term profit, bleeding players in the long run. Especially long time players, there is fuck all to do except etr, etr, fucking etr. Looking forward to next update that you "complete" in few hours so retards can have same things too just because they log in.
Actual updates are scaringly rare. What we got this year ?
Parrots, unending dupes ( hey I don't judge, still think it's fucking up the game in the ass hard though ) and "Limited offer " ox Boxes and Tomes.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #42 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 7:18am
Print Post  
Cosmetic pets are p2w. Grin

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 7:18am
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 7:00am:
People buy
Parrots, unending dupes ( hey I don't judge, still think it's fucking up the game in the ass hard though ) and "Limited offer " ox Boxes and Tomes.

Turbine brought back the boxes and tomes just for the dupers. Its become commonplace for turbine to try and capitalize on exploiting since they cant fix it. shearly I jest right? right?

IP Logged

OnePercenter
Advocatus Diaboli

Ants Eat Dead Grasshoppers

Reply #44 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Pretty much the only thing I buy is character slots and storage.  Oh, maybe a teleport wand for pre-UMD teleport scroll levels.  My toons are lazy sometimes... I'm amazed at the people who spend real money on XP stones, AS for items and things to skip the game.  Is it P2W?  No.  You are paying to skip playing, which to me is losing.  I play because I have fun doing it, not to get it done.

Feynman wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
One thing for everyone who is a "skeptic" on this issue: Insurance companies are basing their underwriting on the assumption that it is real. They are refusing to write policies on homes that are likely to be in danger from rising seas 20 years from now, even though the resale rate of the homes is so high that they could keep writing policies for another 10 years and still not have to pay out on 1 policy in 5, but that would be irresponsible. Unethical, as well, but that's never stopped anyone before.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:12pm:
It is fairly natural to assume that the fair price for the pot is the fair value of the resources I needed to make the pot plus the fair value of my labor.

IMARANGER wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 4:56pm:
You were right this time, OnePercenter. 

iliveyourdream13 wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 2:02pm:
#bringbackreadingcomprehension

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 8:04am
Print Post  
OnePercenter wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 7:35am:
I'm amazed at the people who spend real money on XP stones, AS for items and things to skip the game. 

You would find it ironic that many of the folks exploiting will buy a box  from turbine to dupe it. Somehow they think they are getting a good deal since they get to use a box 5 times. Yet these customers would not have bought the box in the first place without the exploit. Turbine is aware of this ironic situation.

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #46 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 8:12am
Print Post  
¸Ironic or moronic?  Cheesy

IP Logged

onions
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 8:14am
Print Post  
I really don#t care. I spend money if I want to (and because I can).

The problem is, where do I need to spend money where it wasn't needed before and do they adjust droprates to encourage people to buy more store items.

IP Logged

Oyster
Korthos Resident

I Love Oysters!

Reply #48 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Dear diary, today I learned that you can win DDO other than getting Completionist feat.

While I understand the frustration some people feel about the so-called "P2W" situation, for me (and many, many others) P2W is exclusively the availability of paid gear/buffs/classes/abilities that are simply superior to free ones. There are many browser games where free gear (from dungeons/quests) gives you, say, +10 stat, and paid gear gives you +250 stat, so that one paying character can withstand assault of a dozen F2P characters and don't even break a sweat. This is a prime example of P2W, where you literally pay to win.

If a game has ways to achieve the same power level as a paying customer for a player without paying money, then it's not P2W.

The only 'P2W' elements DDO has are epic destinies and the quest packs. And if you're dedicated enough, even those can be gotten without paying a dime (helluva grind though to get 800 TP for EDs). So, as most games that are labelled 'P2W', DDO is basically "Pay to not grind".

But then again, I do understand the sentiment. Surprised that OP's wrath is more directed at XP stones and not Quest packs, Epic Destinies and Elite difficulty unlock.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #49 - Aug 16th, 2014 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Aug 16th, 2014 at 7:18am:
Cosmetic pets are p2w. Grin

Take your pecker out of that Balkan sheep arse and start thinking Ivan.
That's not what I said. Of course people making pets probably won't start making content/fixing shit but those resources could be spent elsewhere.
Green scorpion instead of red is not exactly gonna fix memory hogging/double login/raid lag/umd swap lag/godawful Friday evening server lag for everybody.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint