Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) What were they thinking? (Read 20376 times)
Bacon
Korthos Resident

lost, delicious, edible

What were they thinking?
Nov 1st, 2014 at 1:38am
Print Post  
They were not thinking much when the buffed the shit out of pallies and bards, yet left every other class in the dust. And now they're going to do it again with barbarian? Are they lacking that much in resources to update the other classes?

I'm the useless fuck that has been supporting this dead game.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Re: What were they thinking?
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 1:50am
Print Post  
They are going in order of worst -> best based off of a survey they took a couple of months ago.

We're assuming they'll get through everything eventually in a re-balancing.  The Barb changes make them a little less terrible but pallies still looking stronger.

IP Logged

Hiding
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 2:56am
Print Post  
They're also making some enhancement trees used by more than one class so they don't have to address individual classes. The Harper tree made it so they don't have to worry overmuch about rogues and artificers. The vanguard tree is shared by fighters and pallies.

So who knows what class they'll tamper - er, fix - next.

IP Logged

Bacon
Korthos Resident

lost, delicious, edible

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 10:49am
Print Post  
is there any way I can see that survey? all my google searches are turning up nothing

I'm the useless fuck that has been supporting this dead game.

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 10:52am
Print Post  
survey was done via email. not sure they published results

IP Logged

GermanicusMaximus
Dragon Raider

Thou shalt have no other
trolls before me.

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 10:52am:
survey was done via email. not sure they published results

They published the results. It is someplace on the Turbine forums, although the results were distilled down to a single graph.

It is both funny and pathetic that the devs are so stupid as to not be able to parse the results. The majority of the player base play melee toons because

1) most players have nothing even vaguely  resembling game skill

2) melee toons require absolutely no skill to play

And the survey says: Buff my melee toons! What a fucking surprise.

Dumb asses. Melee players should probably be playing Hello Kitty or My Little Pony Online, except for the fact that they already tried, and failed, at those games. Now, DDO is being targeted to the people who are so inept that they can't make the grade in Hello Kitty or My Little Pony Online.

I guess everyone deserves the right to be uber at something. If you suck at real life, suck at Hello Kitty Online, and suck at My Little Pony Online, come play a melee toon in DDO. Now that should be the center of DDO's new advertising campaign.

Family, Country, and the US stock market. Although, in a pinch, any convertible currency or liquid asset will do.

Yobai wrote on Jun 18th, 2014 at 6:15pm:
I would rather give Thrudh a rim job.

Bigjunk wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:21pm:
That is some masterful trolling.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
GermanicusMaximus wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 12:23pm:
They published the results. It is someplace on the Turbine forums, although the results were distilled down to a single graph.

It is both funny and pathetic that the devs are so stupid as to not be able to parse the results. The majority of the player base play melee toons because

Dumb asses. Melee players should probably be playing Hello Kitty or My Little Pony Online, except for the fact that they already tried, and failed, at those games. Now, DDO is being targeted to the people who are so inept that they can't make the grade in Hello Kitty or My Little Pony Online.

I guess everyone deserves the right to be uber at something. If you suck at real life, suck at Hello Kitty Online, and suck at My Little Pony Online, come play a melee toon in DDO. Now that should be the center of DDO's new advertising campaign.

I realise you're trolling, but I'll take a nibble anyways.
I think you're being a bit harsh.

If we all played the same builds, the game would be a bit boring.
The diversity and choice is what makes this game.
I still think well balanced parties make the most fun experience.  Yes, you can have your party of 6 monkchers, furyshotters or more recently Bard swashies and ROFLstomp any content, but there are many ways to skin the cat.
Prior to U22, we had some really effective Zeus build toons in our guild.  They were well built, geared and played effectively and were always welcome in my parties.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think melees are an easy button either.  Most of the melees require limited use activated abilities and good positioning/timing, which does take some toon mgmt skills.  Sure, you can melee your way to lvl 7 on a wizard with a dagger - but after that, you need to start knowing your stuff or you get swatted a lot.

So I think you're being overly provocative in spanking the melee players.
If Turdbine think the majority of their player base play melees (which I do doubt), then it is not entirely illogical for them to focus some development effort on them.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 1:30am
Print Post  
I don't think melees are an easy button either... most people who say that haven't played once since at least Wheloon.  ALL the new stuff is melee-unfriendly.

Having said that, if you have half a clue what you're doing, the new changes are great.  It's nice to be able to keep up with ranged stuff for once.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Hiding
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 1:30am:
I don't think melees are an easy button either... most people who say that haven't played once since at least Wheloon.  ALL the new stuff is melee-unfriendly.

Having said that, if you have half a clue what you're doing, the new changes are great.  It's nice to be able to keep up with ranged stuff for once.

My crappy fighter works a lot better now.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 3:55am
Print Post  

Because running backwards and casting spells while jumping up and down like a Kansas city faggot takes so much skill.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

KingLurker
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 3:55am:
Because running backwards and casting spells while jumping up and down like a Kansas city faggot takes so much skill.

Hahahahaahahahaahah
+1 sir...that really made me laugh

IP Logged

Viktor Vaughn
Puppy Farmer

Eberron burns

Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Melee takes more skill than casters.
There is a reason why casters are called easy button.

IP Logged

WelloveLLamas
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Saying melee takes no skill is daft. Try walking unprepared into ee on a melee (well before the armor up changes) and get destroyed. I used to love melee alot till i found the joy of Dc casting, but it is no way as easy as he said.

IP Logged

Hiding
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Viktor Vaughn wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 10:48am:
Melee takes more skill than casters.
There is a reason why casters are called easy button.

Personally, I think casters are harder to play well as casters. Yes, you can play them as one-button easy sauce (shiradi), but it's tough to use them in such a way to make use of all of their spells - and that's the fun part.

Melee are harder to prepare. They take a lot of gear planning and then, despite the changes, there are trade offs between self-reliance and raw dps. I keep choosing dps on mine and it's not quite working. I still haven't figured out how to make an EE solo pure fighter yet.

Yet playing melee is probably easier. You just don't have as many abilities - dps is done via weapons. Yes, you can swap them out, but at the end of the day, you have one button to make dps happen (plus cleave/gr.cleave, and other swing weapon buttons). Casters, you press different buttons for each spell you use - and many of them do different things.

But the hardest to play, as far as my experience goes, is a pure fleshy artificer. Not only do you have their spells, their weapons, and the rune arm, you have all the little clickies you've save up that make or break your survival.

I think anyone can play a high-save wf/bf because of the easy healing. Fleshies take work! And at the end of that day, that's more rewarding (at least, to me).

IP Logged

Turd_Ferguson
Waterworks Kobold

It's a funny name.

Reply #14 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
They should default all new players to Paladin. It's the easy button class and with the latest ridiculous buffs a monkey could effectively play one.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #15 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:21pm
Print Post  

That is some masterful trolling.  Have a sock-puppet post that on the motherboards.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #16 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 1:19pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #17 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 1:19pm:

a big puss apparently.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
They published the results.

Found the post: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/439018-Player-Character-Balance?p=5301...

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #19 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
LOL @ monk.  What a bunch of morons.  No wonder this game has such balance issues.  Everybody crying for monk nerfs never played one.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Hiding wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 12:09pm:
Personally, I think casters are harder to play well as casters. Yes, you can play them as one-button easy sauce (shiradi), but it's tough to use them in such a way to make use of all of their spells - and that's the fun part.

Melee are harder to prepare. They take a lot of gear planning and then, despite the changes, there are trade offs between self-reliance and raw dps. I keep choosing dps on mine and it's not quite working. I still haven't figured out how to make an EE solo pure fighter yet.

Yet playing melee is probably easier. You just don't have as many abilities - dps is done via weapons. Yes, you can swap them out, but at the end of the day, you have one button to make dps happen (plus cleave/gr.cleave, and other swing weapon buttons). Casters, you press different buttons for each spell you use - and many of them do different things.

But the hardest to play, as far as my experience goes, is a pure fleshy artificer. Not only do you have their spells, their weapons, and the rune arm, you have all the little clickies you've save up that make or break your survival.

I think anyone can play a high-save wf/bf because of the easy healing. Fleshies take work! And at the end of that day, that's more rewarding (at least, to me).

I agree, I wouldn't say melee take more skill to play, I think it just takes more memorization.  90% of melee bars are just endless rows and rows of clickies, pots and gear swaps to buff up melee damage some more.  I think that's a big problem with how melee works.  Instead of a bunch of active skills that work best in certain situations (like casters), melee mostly just have a bunch of passive skills that have essentially random duration.  It's like taking a handful of dirt, throwing it on the pavement and then memorizing the pattern.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 5:42pm:
LOL @ monk.  What a bunch of morons.  No wonder this game has such balance issues.  Everybody crying for monk nerfs never played one.

Monks include monkchers Wink

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #22 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 5:47pm:
Monks include monkchers Wink

That, and the kensai splashes, cheesy thrower builds, etc. 

Though I'm really curious how cleric got ranked even with fighter.

IP Logged

Meli
Titan Demolisher

Reply #23 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 5:56pm:
That, and the kensai splashes, cheesy thrower builds, etc. 

Though I'm really curious how cleric got ranked even with fighter.

Why? Which is better or worse in your opinion?

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #24 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Meli wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 5:58pm:
Why? Which is better or worse in your opinion?

Fighter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint