Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) help finding best repeater/Gxbow build? (Read 13924 times)
Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

help finding best repeater/Gxbow build?
Apr 28th, 2015 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
What ranged repeater or great xbox build is currently considered best for EE clearing?

I'm doing searches but few come up that are updated with the last pass that made these bows good and most seem to run pointing to Tinkerhell, which if I cant find a good bow build will be my fallback.

Thanks for the pointer - all I need is a link or the build name please.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2015 at 2:43pm by Fail »  

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: ? Best repeater/Gxbow build?
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Read these two threads:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1428810580

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1428433579

18 rogue/2 artificer or 20 rogue are probably your best options.  I think the 18/2 split with a RXB is slightly better.  The good thing about these builds is that you can easily swap between GXB and RXB.  See which one you like.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Human

18rogue/1ftr/1brd.

Full mechanic fun, 1 extra feat, cheapest haste boost, 4% extra dodge, +3 threat range shot that sheds hate (blow by blow), empower heal if you need it.

Or

Human

18rogue/2brd

Full mechanic fun, 4% extra dodge, blow by blow, empower heal, +30% doubleshot boost, emp heal
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2015 at 11:14pm by Hag Master »  

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 9:20am
Print Post  
What is the splash of bard for?

Is it to have a heal, cc from otto's, exped retreat, or some part of one of the enhancement trees?

I made this character as a tester and can easily delete and reroll if I screwed something up, but:

I went ahead and rolled a pdk iconic  as fighter 1/ bard 1/ rest rogue and used the human/pdk enhancement tree for the heal amp and damage boost, and bonus Int (just one time), then full Harper all the way to the top  (taking know the angles and INT boost to ranged attack ones) with the rest going into mechanic for most of the xbow bonuses.

I was looking at the assassin tree to see if it could be used to further boost sneak attacks, but wasnt seeing anything I had points for nor in  bard   could I see anything easily grabbed that was in your face useful (but then I've never played bard).

Started with 18 Int (planning to base everything around Int), put first 2 bonus stats into CHA to bring it from 8 to 10 (figured Id need at least that to do anything bard wise), dex to 15, rest con.

Levelled skills across the board as a trapper would with 10 in perform (again just in case with the bard being an unknown), and maxing umd (no brainer).

I dont have a lot of tomes - just enough to raise con up two points, str 2 points, and dex 1. (basic build, havent unlocked 32pt yet).

I took all the feats that were ranged oriented and grabbed empower healing as a bonus just in case and because I didnt see anything more useful towards level 15.

The servers went to shit right after I rolled up,so wasnt able to even test him at all, but trying to get an idea as to what I should be looking to do.

LMK what you think and keep in mind I am really new to this game with little experience outside running a wolf melee build.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2015 at 9:21am by Fail »  

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Apr 29th, 2015 at 9:20am:
What is the splash of bard for?

Access to empower heal, +4 dodge, +6PRR and sprint boost.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Best repeater/Gxbow build? help me decide.
Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Waffling and not enough knowledge of the game to decide - both character planners I have downloaded omit the harper tree, so I cant really use them effectively.

Could use a hand deciding.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2015 at 1:20am by Fail »  

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: help finding best repeater/Gxbow build?
Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Does anyone play ranged non-thrower or is throwing so good that it's the only ranged that makes sense?

I got to be missing something here.

IP Logged

AngryKobold
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
I hear of them, haven't played one yet. They definitely do exist now.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 3:04pm:
Does anyone play ranged non-thrower or is throwing so good that it's the only ranged that makes sense?

I got to be missing something here.

Yes, plenty of non-thrower options now.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2015 at 4:27pm by Hag Master »  

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
I ran across this old thread from a bit ago.

Does it look like it would be okay now to any of you who have experience with these?

http://pitntdw.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=367093&TabID=3075179&ForumID=1...

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
And this weeks award for most subtle builder trolling goes to Fail.

Nicely done sir.

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Hag Master wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 5:58pm:
And this weeks award for most subtle builder trolling goes to Fail.

Nicely done sir.

and this means what exactly?

I'm just trying to get some useful info on building one of these.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2015 at 6:24pm by Fail »  

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 6:24pm:

Don't mind hag, he's relatively undermedicated.

What you're looking for really doesn't exist yet, since non-repeating crossbows were not even considered flavour-viable until the recent patches, so the full, tested builds you're looking for are still in the "tweaking" process on live.  There is no current "best."

Try following some of the suggestions and tweak as you see fit.  If you insist on having all the work done for you, you'll need to wait a while until something gets posted. 

That build off the guildportal site is so out of date, none of the enhancements are available any more.  Just look at the numbers; 399hp?  3540 damage per MINUTE?  Those were pre-u14 numbers, when the cap was 20 and there was an actual "endgame."  Damn near everything has changed since then.

I'm not terribly familiar with ranged builds, especially with the brand-new updates, but AtomicMew's is probably your best shot to start with.  Hag's premise seems like more of a "zerg backwards and pew-pew" which might be a bit advanced.  Arkat's "Turret" idea in another thread might work, too, with some modifications, if your playstyle is a "kill everything in the room" type.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 7:19pm:
"zerg backwards and pew-pew" which might be a bit advanced.

Really, just on this note. I usually just hold down W until I get xp. With a ranged toon it's S. You need to know where you are going and be intimately familiar with the quest though, or you are going to run into a wall and get gang raped.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
uh ha.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 6:24pm:

You were already given several links and several builds.  What more do you want?

18 rogue/2 X as a base, tier 5 mechanic, max INT.  Lots of options, but it's all pretty flexible and also differences are probably marginal. 
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2015 at 8:01pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
I finally TR'd into this build. Pretty badass at level 2, lol.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1428810580/11#11

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
I suppose I came across as wanting a fully fleshed out on a  plate build, but I was looking more for ideas on what I had thought about and posted in the thread a couple above.

I see what was posted but the issue is more I dont understand why they work or what people were accomplishing by taking the builds in the directions that they did; game is still pretty new to me.

I'd like to get ideas as to how or why the builds work, just like I did with the wolf melee and people were really helpful with getting me to not only understand the build but the mechanics behind it - thats kind of what I was going for.  The wolf melee became much more enjoyable to play after I understood what was going on under the hood so to speak.

Like, for example, why would you take 18 rogue over say a lower splash but with 4 fighter for the ranged bonus and no penalty ranged shot?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 10:42pm:
Like, for example, why would you take 18 rogue over say a lower splash but with 4 fighter for the ranged bonus and no penalty ranged shot?

The level 18 mechanic core is way stronger than anything you could gain by multiclassing more than 2 levels.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Fail wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 10:42pm:
I suppose I came across as wanting a fully fleshed out on a  plate build, but I was looking more for ideas on what I had thought about and posted in the thread a couple above.

I see what was posted but the issue is more I dont understand why they work or what people were accomplishing by taking the builds in the directions that they did; game is still pretty new to me.

I'd like to get ideas as to how or why the builds work, just like I did with the wolf melee and people were really helpful with getting me to not only understand the build but the mechanics behind it - thats kind of what I was going for.  The wolf melee became much more enjoyable to play after I understood what was going on under the hood so to speak.

Mechanic core 5 gets you +1 extra critical multiplier on repeating xbows and +2 crit multiplier on great xbows.  This requires 18 levels of rogue. 

Also, rogue levels gets you a sneak attack damage, which is getting boosted by ranged power.  It's significant.  You can't get tier 5 mechanic and extra critical multiplier except with 14 paladin.  But you are losing a lot of sneak attack damage in the process. 

With the last two levels, you can do a lot of different things.  2 arti lets you use rune arms and gets you one extra feat. 

IP Logged

Fail
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - May 1st, 2015 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I could see then why 18 rogue becomes so important as I learned the value of expanded crit with the wolf build.

I do keep hearing as how being so close to mobs for sneak attack to proc is a problem in and of itself and (I think, right?) only the first wave would get SA dice.

How is that overcome to make SA so powerful in the build?

Does sneak attack just add a bit of damage (maybe even a lot, but all front loaded?) and crit damage + mass fast shooting aoe style become the real power behind the builds?

If SA plays a larger role, do builds have to utilize a radiance/deception weapon and deception gear to make  SA count reliably?

If so, is that when you just toss out a ton of hits and take them down as you backpedal or find a safe spot to camp;thats kind of what Im getting now from some of the previous comments and just wanting to make sure I have this right.

I appreciate the information you have to share btw - I really want to play with one of these builds and right now I'm just starting to get whats going on with them.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2015 at 12:33am by Fail »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #21 - May 1st, 2015 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Mech cores increase SA range quite a bit, so that's not really a big issue. The sneak attack damage is huge, so you'll want to slot deception and improved deception accessories. Diplo is a good idea as well, since you will pull a lot of aggro.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #22 - May 1st, 2015 at 1:03am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 10:54pm:
The level 18 mechanic core is way stronger than anything you could gain by multiclassing more than 2 levels.

I'm still weighing it up vs endless fusillade, it's the only ability arguably worth dropping below 18rogue for.

Leaves me thinking
18rogue/2arti for that juicy core
or
13rogue/4arti/3fighter for endless fusilade and weapon focus feats.

Leaning towards 18rogue/2arti though.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2015 at 1:40am by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - May 1st, 2015 at 2:26am
Print Post  
My Pally/rogue GxB is destroying crap left and right.

Seems odd not to have a runearm on but so far so good.  His skills are only marginally less than my pure mechanic, and the threat range is magic. He can also take a lot more hate and so I find I am running higher archer focus scores by and large because I will stand and shoot much longer than I will on the Pure Mechanic.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2015 at 2:27am by Hag Master »  

IP Logged

WelloveLLamas
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - May 1st, 2015 at 9:26am
Print Post  
If deep splashing don't count out deepwood stalker. It's like assassin but tailored for range. Not sure myself if to take up more ranger levels for more feats and stalker abilities or stick with 18 rog

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint