Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic PDK 12mnk/5rng/3ftr build idea (Read 5850 times)
Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

PDK 12mnk/5rng/3ftr build idea
Jul 9th, 2015 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Sup,

thinking of rolling up 12 mnk/ 5 ranger/ 3 ftr PDK TWF unarmed.
Mostly for the PDK+Monk lives, but also to see how viable it can be in the high end EEs.

So, the idea of the build is to abuse Dance of Death from Tempest,
Someone said that it allows for things like Stunning fist to multi-strike several mobs. Also, whirlwind.
Hopefully, its just enough not to suck too much donkey balls

The build would be STR-based with enough WIS-score to reach about 75+ SF DC. I have almost all of the gear and 3 ftr PLs.

Starting stats would be like:
Str:17 +7 lvlups (+6 tome)
Dex:13 (+5 tome)
Con: 14 (+6 tome)
Int: 10 (+5 tome)
Wis: 16 (+6 tome)
Cha: 8 (+6 tome)

36+ points in Tempest for DoD
23+ points in DS for killer (Alternatively drop DS and rearrange points in Shintao and Harper)
11+ points in NS for shadow veil
8+ points in SD for the PRR/MRR stance
1+ point in PDK for damage boost
1+ point in Shintao for the core

Main ED: Legendary dreadnaught with Sense weakness, Balanced attacks, Cocoon (Dance of Flowers as 4th twist, if open)

Levelling order be like:
1ftr -> 5 ranger -> 12 mnk ->2 ftr.
Just need an appropriate feat layout to fit in PA, Cleave, G.Cleave, Whirlwind, ITWF, GTWF, IC:bludgeon, + w/e is usable in epics like OC at lvl21, Vorpal strikes(?) at lvl24, PTWF at lvl26, Epic DR at lvl27, Tactician at lvl28. Might also take Manyshot + Zen Archery if there's enough room.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks in advance

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: PDK 12mnk/5rng/3ftr build idea
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 12:26am
Print Post  
1st off, I wouldn't fight unarmed without at least 7 pts in Shintao.

After that, my concern is that any centered monk in EE's making use of DoD is going to be dying all the time. You need big PRR to wade through EE enemies like that.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 12:45am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 12:26am:
1st off, I wouldn't fight unarmed without at least 7 pts in Shintao.

Deft strikes and iron skin? I guess I understand why.

5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 12:26am:
After that, my concern is that any centered monk in EE's making use of DoD is going to be dying all the time. You need big PRR to wade through EE enemies like that.

Alternatively drop DoD and most of the Tempest tree and pick up Violence begets Violence +Empty handed.
Does the +10% offhand from the Tempest core even work for unarmed? Too many differing opinions on that and I dont have the time to check myself.

I've been feeling nostalgic about monks, unarmed fighting and abundant step a lot lately Cheesy

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 12:45am:
Deft strikes and iron skin? I guess I understand why.

Just Deft Strikes actually.

Alex DeLarge wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 12:45am:
Alternatively drop DoD and most of the Tempest tree and pick up Violence begets Violence +Empty handed.
Does the +10% offhand from the Tempest core even work for unarmed? Too many differing opinions on that and I dont have the time to check myself.

I've been feeling nostalgic about monks, unarmed fighting and abundant step a lot lately Cheesy

Tempest core wasn't working with unarmed last time I checked. This is the best unarmed monk build that I could come up with:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1421923017/33#33

It got nerfed an update or 2 ago when sneak attack no longer amplified with helpless damage. It should still be viable, but I haven't really played it since then.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 1:54am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 1:37am:
This is the best unarmed monk build that I could come up with:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1421923017/33#33

It got nerfed an update or 2 ago when sneak attack no longer amplified with helpless damage. It should still be viable, but I haven't really played it since then.

Thanks, too many rogue levels for my taste, but thanks.

There were, also. 19rog/1mnk unarmed builds back in the day, those were fun.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 2:06am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 1:54am:
Thanks, too many rogue levels for my taste, but thanks.

There were, also. 19rog/1mnk unarmed builds back in the day, those were fun.

I had a 19/1 for a while too. Smiley

This is my current pure monk build:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1427180132/122#122

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 5:43am
Print Post  
When you say unarmed, does it need to be a non tree build?
Since going tree fixes almost all isssues you can have with survival and single target dps + aoe clear.

Just throwing a suggestion in case you want to play a monk.

Also in case you are interested 2 splits i would propose are 12 monk 4 palie 4 wiz or 12 monk 5 palie 3 wiz.
Plan to post both versions maybe in case more people find interest in it.
Pretty mucho the most broken treemonkbuild i played in a while

In case you want a hdwraps based then 12 monk 5 ranger 3 palie seems better to me, you can get most relevant feats on that split (including ww line) or go for 2 palie if you dont want stance prr, and bf for recon heals
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2015 at 5:44am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 5:43am:
When you say unarmed, does it need to be a non tree build?
Since going tree fixes almost all isssues you can have with survival and single target dps + aoe clear.

Yeah, I was leaning towards a non-tree monk build just cause it's not as broken as a "twitching tree" was before u19.

Also in case you are interested 2 splits i would propose are 12 monk 4 palie 4 wiz or 12 monk 5 palie 3 wiz.
Plan to post both versions maybe in case more people find interest in it.
Pretty mucho the most broken treemonkbuild i played in a while

How do you keep the spirits up? Zombie + Lesser Death Aura?
Eternal CLW wand in between fights and drop Ice storm on mobs? Cheesy

In case you want a hdwraps based then 12 monk 5 ranger 3 palie seems better to me, you can get most relevant feats on that split (including ww line) or go for 2 palie if you dont want stance prr, and bf for recon heals

3 palie is better than 3 fighter, but I want PDK and save +1 heart.
PRR/MRR stance is a must have for obvious reasons.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Spirit is borked since day 1.
Most people dont know it tho, thing is you get 2 spirit for every selfcast spell, there is no offense/defense tick at all.
So out of combat im just spamin mage armor sla on a macro that does it every 2 sec, press a button and it does it for me.
In combat lesser death consecration ticks and the regular unarmed allow me to stay as tree as long as any regular cleric split.
Since you cant really do melle ticks every 2 sec even with  5 swing reset animations you cant really be perma tree, but its enough to kill anything that exists in the game when you are 28.
On the 5 palie split i take tier 5 in kotc and that way get 3 feats for completionist/monk plife/imp martial arts, on the 4 split i go for tier 5 in monk for violence /the one i took right now, but both builds are quite impressive

For you hm, yea 12 monk 5 ranger 3 fighter seems quite interesting, should have enough feats for anything, but you could drop it to 12 monk 4 ranger 4 fighter, since tier 5 in shintao is slightly better and you get a feat that way + stance.
As i know nothing from tempest really works with unarmed, but i think the offstrike works now /out side of attacks, growing storm is still good imo.
Could be tested on a iconic with deft strikes and ranger levels.
But to lazy myself for that heh, no will to retest every thing anew each update/patch
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2015 at 7:30am by Lelouch »  

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 10:32am
Print Post  
In the more recent past I TR'd my 3PL Monk into a PDK 8Ftr/6Monk/6Ranger to give DoD and GS a whirl.

It's effing brilliant seeing SF proc on 4 EE mobs not to mention FoL and the not stop incoming amp'ed healing and deception/improved deception procs...

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 10:34am
Print Post  
At one time 5ranger/15 monk with QP and DoD could have been meaningful...

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

playing ddo

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Mokune wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 10:34am:
At one time 5ranger/15 monk with QP and DoD could have been meaningful...

I havent tested but people say that the charisma part from pdk still works and that kta also adds dc to quivering palm.

So something could be made with 15/5 split dual shortsword int/wisdom/char based build ugh

I wouldnt bother with it tho, there is no way you can reach high enough dc for temple even if all of it worked.

IP Logged

MrWindupBird
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Yeah, I'm the one who posted about Dance of Death and stunning fist/etc on motherboards. I think it is about as decent as you can make an unarmed toon (trees and wolves are entirely different things).

Stunning fist x 4 is nearly infinitely entertaining, though you do have to learn the spacing that works best for Dance of Death when unarmed- it works, but it takes a little getting used to. Whirlwind is nice in the absence of dance of death but in no way does it compare, so why bother. I also thought about 5 ranger/15 monk, but likewise who the hell cares about quivering palm. Anything you can QP you can easily stun, and anything you stun will be dead momentarily with +230% damage, even with crappy unarmed damage.

I chose 12monk/6ranger/2paladin since I didnt want or need defensive stance. The free saves and light damage from 2paladin seemed as good as any other option, and monk is the only remaining melee I think works better as bladeforged: the tactics are great, and more importantly you aren't nearly as AP-crunched as everyone else, since monk class enhancements are terrible.

As far as AP, 36 pts in Tempest, taking the core (it worked when I used it, roll a BF lvl 15 monk to test if you don't believe), taking dodge/dodge cap/Elaborate parry (63% dodge for 20 out of 60 secs, 33% rest of the time is useful), Growing storm, haste boost, 10% offhand.
7 pts in Shintao for offhand
11 pts Ninja Spy for Shadow veil, dodge, sneak attack.
6 pts in DWS for 3d6 sneak attack
16 BF
wherever you want the rest, I picked up more sneak dice and light damage.

You have plenty of feats, so I went full-on with damage taking PL monk, PL pally, Improved MA, Overwhelmin Crit, vorpal fists, the usual. With feat changes weapon focus for melee power may be an option.

If you want a defensive stance, you sacrifice 6 ap, 1 feat, and 2str/con for 25 MRR/PRR. I dont have issues staying alive, but if you do that isn't a bad trade.

The build is more about fun-factor than performance. It works fine (solo'ed ee ToEE Pt1 and 2 blind, first time through. I did not know earth eles could be charmed, so it wasn't exactly record-setting), but the redname damage pales in comparison to pally/barb/rogue, and it's probably strictly inferior to an ice bard. However it's the best you can do with unarmed.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 1:10am
Print Post  
MrWindupBird wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 12:27am:
Yeah, I'm the one who posted about Dance of Death and stunning fist/etc on motherboards. I think it is about as decent as you can make an unarmed toon (trees and wolves are entirely different things).

Stunning fist x 4 is nearly infinitely entertaining, though you do have to learn the spacing that works best for Dance of Death when unarmed- it works, but it takes a little getting used to. Whirlwind is nice in the absence of dance of death but in no way does it compare, so why bother. I also thought about 5 ranger/15 monk, but likewise who the hell cares about quivering palm. Anything you can QP you can easily stun, and anything you stun will be dead momentarily with +230% damage, even with crappy unarmed damage.

I chose 12monk/6ranger/2paladin since I didnt want or need defensive stance. The free saves and light damage from 2paladin seemed as good as any other option, and monk is the only remaining melee I think works better as bladeforged: the tactics are great, and more importantly you aren't nearly as AP-crunched as everyone else, since monk class enhancements are terrible.

As far as AP, 36 pts in Tempest, taking the core (it worked when I used it, roll a BF lvl 15 monk to test if you don't believe), taking dodge/dodge cap/Elaborate parry (63% dodge for 20 out of 60 secs, 33% rest of the time is useful), Growing storm, haste boost, 10% offhand.
7 pts in Shintao for offhand
11 pts Ninja Spy for Shadow veil, dodge, sneak attack.
6 pts in DWS for 3d6 sneak attack
16 BF
wherever you want the rest, I picked up more sneak dice and light damage.

You have plenty of feats, so I went full-on with damage taking PL monk, PL pally, Improved MA, Overwhelmin Crit, vorpal fists, the usual. With feat changes weapon focus for melee power may be an option.

If you want a defensive stance, you sacrifice 6 ap, 1 feat, and 2str/con for 25 MRR/PRR. I dont have issues staying alive, but if you do that isn't a bad trade.

The build is more about fun-factor than performance. It works fine (solo'ed ee ToEE Pt1 and 2 blind, first time through. I did not know earth eles could be charmed, so it wasn't exactly record-setting), but the redname damage pales in comparison to pally/barb/rogue, and it's probably strictly inferior to an ice bard. However it's the best you can do with unarmed.

Thanks for the info,
it will help me make a proper informed decision  Wink

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 3:02am
Print Post  
Lelouch wrote on Jul 9th, 2015 at 11:35am:
charisma part from pdk still works

Worked for me about year ago. Might be possible to get high dc, but it would have to be a wolf to use qp with short swords. At which point taking 2 ranger levels makes sense. Requiring a heart of wood +1 to build. 16/2/2 for 2wf/swf, charisma based using kta.

Assuming 62 wisdom, 40 charisma, 42 int.

+18 from 16 monk levels
+25 from 60 wis
+5 from 40 cha(replacing combat mastery nerf)
+8 from 42 int (replacing sundering item nerf)
+3 ftr lives
+6 from LD twist
+3 in GMoF lv 5
+2 tactician feat
+1 from Fatesinger's Echoes of Ancestors LD(idk if it stacks with any of the above because it was not last I tried qp wolf)

total qp dc = 71(don't think is worth)

Another 3 could be from fighter splashing over ranger, but fuck that noise unless you want to spend 20 minutes on end boss.

Edit: doesnt have to be a wolf, really. I just wouldn't bother trying to dps anything without druid splash.

edit, edit: bard does it better, despite 15 second cooldown. No ki build up or management required.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2015 at 3:07am by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #15 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 4:41am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 3:02am:
Worked for me about year ago. Might be possible to get high dc, but it would have to be a wolf to use qp with short swords. At which point taking 2 ranger levels makes sense. Requiring a heart of wood +1 to build. 16/2/2 for 2wf/swf, charisma based using kta.

Assuming 62 wisdom, 40 charisma, 42 int.

+18 from 16 monk levels
+25 from 60 wis
+5 from 40 cha(replacing combat mastery nerf)
+8 from 42 int (replacing sundering item nerf)
+3 ftr lives
+6 from LD twist
+3 in GMoF lv 5
+2 tactician feat
+1 from Fatesinger's Echoes of Ancestors LD(idk if it stacks with any of the above because it was not last I tried qp wolf)

total qp dc = 71(don't think is worth)

Another 3 could be from fighter splashing over ranger, but fuck that noise unless you want to spend 20 minutes on end boss.

Edit: doesnt have to be a wolf, really. I just wouldn't bother trying to dps anything without druid splash.

edit, edit: bard does it better, despite 15 second cooldown. No ki build up or management required.

So, PDK training + shortsword, does the to-damage, to-attack still apply while being a wolf?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #16 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 5:15am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 4:41am:
So, PDK training + shortsword, does the to-damage, to-attack still apply while being a wolf?

None of those work in wolf form.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 5:29am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 5:15am:
None of those work in wolf form.

pdk training dc increase worked on qp in wolf form. me and shat both played the build around when thunderholme released.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #18 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 5:32am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 5:29am:
pdk training dc increase worked on qp in wolf form. me and shat both played the build around when thunderholme released.

I meant all alternative stat to damage abilities do not work in wolf form. I haven't tested the DC.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #19 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 3:02am:
it would have to be a wolf to use qp with short swords.

Update 19 changed QP to work with monk weapons.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Mokune wrote on Jul 10th, 2015 at 9:06am:
Update 19 changed QP to work with monk weapons.

yea, i edited post to state that it doesnt have to be a wolf. Just that the red named dps will be dog shit without swf/twf wolf.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint