Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) U27 Release Notes (Read 18751 times)
iGouger
Ex Member

Re: U27 Release Notes
Reply #50 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 1:35am
Print Post  
I'm a little late to the party but...

Was I the only one who laughed out loud when I read the part about Melee/Ranged/Spell Power tomes? Rubbinns and a couple others were sarcastically calling them in that other thread before they were confirmed... Really does look like Turbine is turning everyting into tomes now.

The BB change thingamabob is nice. I'll give them that. But not much else.

Aside from that though, I didn't see anything of note. New pack looks and sounds boring as fuck, and we totally need more level 13 quests.  Roll Eyes No cool new features/quests, no bug fixes, and a known issue list which seems to be expanding at the same rate as the universe. And they still haven't acknowledged the ladder bug...

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #51 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 1:34am:
Varg is a coder, he don't read bug reports... Those are read ( and reproduced )by Kookie, then Kookie send stuff to coders so that they can try to piss the codefix.

Thanks for the responses Flav.  On my iPad now, so will just address the above for now.  I appreciate your insights as you know more about Turdbine and the people than I do.  I'm sure some of them mean well, but the culture, lack of resources and amateur hour systems makes life hard. So I didn't intend to target Varg explicitly.  I intend my criticism for the DDO team - both historical and present.

I understand in large corporates, Comms and narrow role defns make it hard to see the big picture.
Part of my current role is addressing these silo based problems and getting cros functional teams working together.

But I don't see Turdbine being like this.
The team can all fit inside a room.  I can't believe that Kookie and Varg don't talk.
I can't believe they don't have 1-3 status meetings per week in which the latest issues would be raised - including exploits and bugs and that the devs wouldn't listen to those and think, "hmmmmm.... I've encountered that before" or "that sounds familiar"
I am sure that morale in the team is so low that no-one volunteered to fix anything.
What exactly does Kookie do with the bug reports if she doesn't pass them onto a dev?
I think they're probably so busy trying to pump out new content on fixed deadlines, that no-one cares about bugs unless they dramatically affect the game negatively or adversely impact store sales.

At the end of the day, Sev is the Producer and is responsible for the issues.
Sorry if I came across harsh, but that is the reality of the real world, even if it isn't in game's development.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #52 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 1:34am:
Varg is a coder, he don't read bug reports... Those are read ( and reproduced )by Kookie, then Kookie send stuff to coders so that they can try to piss the codefix.

Sorry, Flav, but it's still possible Kookie had already sent Varg. that bug. And he still felt it was a special favor just to look at it.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 3:41am
Print Post  
I heard they managed to break the shroud. It cannot be completed now? How do they break Vale when doing shav? Also, fuck this raid. 5 more to go tonight and I'll probably get a fucked up and broken 20th list that gives me random gen. \0/ wooot

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #54 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 4:36am
Print Post  
This is Bugzilla, yes.  Smiley  Or Trac, or Jira, or 8 million other systems.  Launchpad.  RT.

Excellent post.

DropBear wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:21am:
I think bug tracking is haphazard as evidenced by their approach in general.

Agreed.

We had two environments - "production" and "test" for sandboxing.

Yep, pretty standard.  It's better with (at least) a third environment - one that's as close to production as possible.  It's bizarre - that's a 4-digit dollar investment, and some code-moving changes, but it'll save you hours every time.  Remember that last update where they went ___ hours over... oh right.  All of them.  How does that happen after the first time?

To address your question: I don't think they track bugs other than in a haphazard fashion.  I'm sure that there used to be a bug tracking system, but it was "someone else's" and has fallen into neglect.

Completely agree, and I'd add one crucial part here:  I think they're lazy and too entrenched.  The problem with a company like Turbine is you have nobody who's accountable but also knows a) coding and b) coding within the system.  That's where the producer steps in and says 'wtf, three weeks to fix this string table error?"  When you have codemonkeys who set their own schedules and are indispensible, you're going to have issues.

1. The online bug reporting tool doesn't work.  Why the frack not?  how fracking hard can it be?  ...  A convenient excuse to minimise bug reports that you have to read?

Yes.  (Seriously.  I can't come up with any other reason than they're overwhelmed with reports.  Were.)

2. ...What is the criteria for the "official list"?

This they've actually described before... it's basically "we have enough reports."  Kind of cheap, because that *should* mean "we can replicate it, we know what's up, so more reports won't help."  I have no idea what it actually means, because some of that shit's been on there for literally *years*.

3. When they do fix bugs, they forget to mention it in the release notes sometimes.  If they were serious about bugs, there would be more transparency and reporting.  If they were fixing bugs and tracking them, they could easily roll out a list to quell the "whiners".  Never seen it done.

That's in line with the above.  They have no QA.  You can't just use the changelog summary, because with these idiots it's 50 lines of "after you drag the stone to your bag..."  You need somebody in between Varg and Cordo, where the shit actually gets *tested*.  Not only are the release notes incomplete, half the time they're wrong, and 90% of those are shit you can confirm/deny in five minutes.  Spend an extra hour and go through your list, and just check them off.  It's so basic.  Blood pressure rising...

4. Bugs are being fixed, but it is completely haphazard ... This to me is a clear indication of a haphazard system where devs pick the low hanging fruit to fix to meet some arbitrary KPI.

Probably right.  Ties in with nobody being accountable to how long things should take.  "Look, I fixed 35 bugs this month!"  "Yeah, but 30 of those are string table errors."

5.  Bugs re-appear over and over again.  Poor code version control.

Agreed, although version control doesn't really have anything to do with bug tracking itself.  This is two things: bad version control and shitty testing.  There are arguments for and against test-driven development (where you write the test first, and then the code, or vice versa), but in either case, first thing you do when you find a bug in *existing* code is write a fucking test!  That way, when some idiot "fixes" bags, it blows up right away, before it hits Lam, and everybody figures it out but nobody reports it because omg won't this be fun and now it's live and now your economy's shot for *years*.

Last count, it has 4 developers and 1 system engineer left + some other support types.  Who do you think does the bug identification?

I think they don't.  We're not arguing about that.  :-D  I think they have a system in place.  It's just not used well.  Partly that's understaffing, partly it's shit code, and mostly lethargy.

Look, here's the problem: you can't fire these guys until the game's not making money.  Warner's gonna milk this thing until it's just Fran buying cakes to get through EN LoD and Uurlock and Cordo jerking each other off in some warehouse.  And probably longer - look up Hollywood Accounting - they're experts at keeping losing companies around until it *actually* hurts the bottom line.  The problem is not that Warner knows that, it's that *Turbine* knows that.  How hard do you work when you know they can't live without you?  It'd be almost impossible to bring somebody new in at this point to do anything other than specialization - AI, graphics stuff, sound...  nobody would take this job anyway, since the pay is shit and you'd have to live in Boston.

Summary: I reckon it's a complete mess.

That sums it up nicely.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #55 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 5:43am
Print Post  
TL :  DR
I think bug tracking is haphazard as evidenced by their approach in general.  There are a number of clear indicators that bug tracking is not taken seriously (bugged online tool).

Excellent post, I agree enthusiastically with pretty much everything you said.

One thing I'd like to add - in my 30+ years writing commercial software, both as a front line coder and later as a manager of coders and a system architect, the "good" companies (admittedly all with fewer than 10 software developers) all had all coders see all bugs, at least in summary form.

In the good companies, it was a point of pride to have the reputation as making the fewest mistakes, or be the best at finding and fixing somebody else's mistakes. The biggest faux pas was to try to cover up a bug you made. We were always a team, and at the end of the day everyone shared responsibility for bugs in the code. Nobody got crucified for introducing a bug (unless they'd made the same mistake before, that was blood in the water). Every bug was a learning process, and the trickiest would get shared so everyone had the opportunity to learn from the mistakes of others.

One of the best companies went so far as to require all developers, from the lowliest intern to the highest manager, take a regular rotation into customer support. It might be only 4 hours a week, but it was a great way to make you aware how your bugs affected your customers, and to see what it cost the company. Partly this was successful because we had a profit sharing plan, so costing the company cost the employee, but even without that I think it would have been very useful.

I don't know how Turbine could turn around their culture, but I'm pretty sure paying close attention to bugs is a necessary part of any successful solution, and I'm pretty sure they won't get credit for it with their customers unless they are transparent about it.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #56 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 4:36am:
Remember that last update where they went ___ hours over... oh right.  All of them.  How does that happen after the first time?

Smiley

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #57 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 6:57am
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 3:41am:
I heard they managed to break the shroud. It cannot be completed now? How do they break Vale when doing shav? Also, fuck this raid. 5 more to go tonight and I'll probably get a fucked up and broken 20th list that gives me random gen. \0/ wooot

Completed a 2 man elite shroud a few hours ago and everything looks fine to me. Swirling blades were hitting much harder than usual tough

1 more shroud to 20th completion FTW  Cheesy

IP Logged

Rubbinns sock
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Artorias wrote on Jul 31st, 2015 at 6:57am:
1 more shroud to 20th completion FTW  Cheesy

Plot twist: you get 20th reward list of Defiler of the Just.

IP Logged

m4lacka
Horoluth Raider

Coitus ergo sum.

Reply #59 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Quote:
Plot twist: you get 20th reward list of Defiler of the Just.

That would be too rewarding. Unless there was a way to grab nore than 1 named item from end reward. But gotta pm Epoch on that one. Roll Eyes

Vaultaccount wrote on Aug 29th, 2016 at 7:06pm:
The most broken epic PL in the game is the ridiculous AC buff from martial PLs. But when you include all the inherent benefits from reincarnation, the thing is above the roof. The benefit from TR was supposed to be minimal, but now it is game breaking. start a new character and you will feel, you will get raped in heroics.

Personally I think lower heroics on new characters are harder than Legendary Elite content on a character with good gear and has all destinies farmed.

Arkat wrote on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 4:14pm:
And someone in another thread called ME delusional recently!

Wow.

Have you EVER gone to Law School Feyn? Have you EVER been asked by a United States Senator who is now the Vice President of the United States to write a paper just for him on a particular topic of Constitutional Law for his use as a Senator? Have you ever been asked to help a very notable Harvard PhD turned Constitutional scholar with his very-well received book on Legal Philosophy and Constitutional Revolutions? Have you ever been offered a job as a Deputy Attorney General BEFORE you even graduated Law School?

No? Then STFU you fucking amateur.

Meat-Head wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:03am:
Thx. I was semi-waiting because windows 10 will be here soon. but, the crashing is making me want to punch old people.

IMARANGER wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
Pretty sure that the fact that a service can be hacked doesn't make it the "community chest".

IP Logged

AAH
DQ Assaulter

SSG .. making shit a reality.

Reply #60 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
Guild Airship Tavern Regeneration will now allow players to swap and select spells, and rejuvenate clickies

Think Keanu Reeves - "Whoa ..."

Finally a reason to visit my ship.

Gunga wrote on Apr 6th, 2021 at 9:31am:
This game doesn’t deserve great players, honestly.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #61 - Jul 31st, 2015 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
m4lacka wrote on Jul 31st, 2015 at 8:00am:
That would be too rewarding. Unless there was a way to grab nore than 1 named item from end reward. But gotta pm Epoch on that one. Roll Eyes

It is a good exploit, being able to keep all of the end rewards. Fucking love that shit!

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint