Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Testing on Argo? (Read 4421 times)
Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Testing on Argo?
May 13th, 2016 at 5:29am
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/475380-Notice-of-Impact-Argonnessen-Th...

Cordo:

Quote:
Notice of Impact: Argonnessen, Thursday, May 12th 6:00 - 8:00 PM Eastern

As part of our continuing investigation to improve game performance, we will be enabling some tech tonight on Argonnessen that will have an impact for players on that world from 6:00 - 8:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT). This is a temporary test to gather information necessary to our investigation.

We expect the tech to have the following impact:

- Haywire Foundry will not be able to be completed.
- Moving platforms in the Cannith Manufactury will no longer move, which blocks access to Schemes of the Enemy, The Master Artificer, The Lord of Blades, and the Artificer Workshops and Research Facility.

It is possible there will be other impacts as well. This change will be in place for two hours tonight, after which point we will turn it off, gather the results, and use those results in our ongoing investigation. We apologize for the inconvenience to players on Argonnessen.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Testing on Argo?
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2016 at 6:04am
Print Post  
lol

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2016 at 6:47am
Print Post  
It's those damn moving platforms causing all the lag?
FFS? Who'd have thunk it?
Right under our noses the whole time!
Coming soon - More ladders replacing platforms dudes!   Grin

I'm sure this next fix will be as effective as the lantern archon light source was.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2016 at 7:40am
Print Post  
PersonaNonGrata wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 6:47am:
as effective as the lantern archon light source was.

Yes. Even the world became a better place after that.  Grin

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2016 at 8:14am
Print Post  
I expect all the bridges that needs to be lowered for quests to fail too...

Making it impossible to complete some parts of Splinterskull, some Korthos quests, some Harbour ones, STK, some other in the Market, VON5, ..... and more...

Grin

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2016 at 9:29am
Print Post  
I'll take "Things you do when you have no fucking clue what you're doing" for $1000 Alex.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2016 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 5:29am:
Notice of Impact: Argonnessen, Thursday, May 12th 6:00 - 8:00 PM Eastern

As part of our continuing investigation to improve game performance, we will be enabling some tech tonight on Argonnessen that will have an impact for players on that world from 6:00 - 8:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT). This is a temporary test to gather information necessary to our investigation.

We expect the tech to have the following impact:

- Haywire Foundry will not be able to be completed.
- Moving platforms in the Cannith Manufactury will no longer move, which blocks access to Schemes of the Enemy, The Master Artificer, The Lord of Blades, and the Artificer Workshops and Research Facility.

It is possible there will be other impacts as well. This change will be in place for two hours tonight, after which point we will turn it off, gather the results, and use those results in our ongoing investigation. We apologize for the inconvenience to players on Argonnessen.

PersonaNonGrata wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 6:47am:
It's those damn moving platforms causing all the lag?
FFS?

They're on to me!  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2016 at 1:19pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #7 - May 14th, 2016 at 2:38am
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on May 13th, 2016 at 9:29am:
I'll take "Things you do when you have no fucking clue what you're doing" for $1000 Alex.

Yeah...

Well, they do know some of the lag sources ( guild renown awarding, objective completion ) but they can't be arsed to fix those because it means actually having a clue when it comes to coding and fixing code.

So they just do some testing on live ( because it's cheaper than doing tests on a real test system ) to make people believe they are (still ) working on it,
and go back to LARP PAC MAN.

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #8 - May 14th, 2016 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 14th, 2016 at 2:38am:
Yeah...

Well, they do know some of the lag sources ( guild renown awarding, objective completion ) but they can't be arsed to fix those because it means actually having a clue when it comes to coding and fixing code.

So they just do some testing on live ( because it's cheaper than doing tests on a real test system ) to make people believe they are (still ) working on it,
and go back to LARP PAC MAN.

ive said this before but i wish you guys had spoilers on this forum

a lot of people are accepting the scapegoats that turbine wants to sacrifice in the name of "it wasnt our fault" but you have to realize that, if any of the things they blame atm were really issues, wouldnt the resulting effect have been GREATER in the past, when FAR MORE players were simultaneously triggering these "lag causing conditions" like completions and getting renown? Further more, wouldnt the lag have subsided as more and more players quit due to that same lag?

clearly there is an underlying issue that causes otherwise common events to result in lag. you cant duct tape your asshole closed to cure digestive problems. the "testing" they want to do is only to verify that server-side synced moving entities and database writes consume measurable resources so that they can neuter it to reduce lag. this is bad because it by definition must be true.

the platforms in cannith are basically hard coded players. they are dynamic entities that must always exist, the code that allows them to exist and perform is always active on the server. this is so that, when u arrive in house C, the guy who was riding that platform for 2 hours isnt flying around in a random place when the client side renders the platform at its starting position. since it always exists, that info can be sent to all clients to place that platform at the right place, so you arrive in house C and see that guy standing on the platform mid air, actually on that platform mid air. this consumes server cpu cycles, the info must be sent to all applicable clients, and then those clients must RENDER these objects. rendering these moving objects that generate dynamic shadows as well as interacting with various light sources of house C, all of who's light calculations occur on the client PC based on the server side info relayed from the platform, consumes client cpu cycles

everything that occurs ever consumes cycles. the lantern archon was the shit because it was a portable dynamic light. it also consumed a lot of cycles because it needed to be synced server side, AND the cost of rendering the dynamic lighting client side. a decent pc can eat that but this game is from 2000s and made for brazilians so it got got. their tests are going to show that dynamic entities do consume cycles, in a game that desperately needs to free up cycles, and theyre going to neuter a bunch of game mechanics and make the game even more boring. meanwhile, the actual cause of the bottleneck will remain, waiting in the shadows for the next feature to interact poorly with it, whether its currently implemented or not.

consider the twf nerf. the changes to twf allowed them to drastically reduce the amount of cycles the server had to devote to math for each player's dps, applied to the target, and that info passed back in real time to 6-12 clients. however other work took the place of that math and the game still lagged.

does anyone really believe that the database move was intended to be a infrastructure upgrade? do you think they did it expecting no change at all? they downscaled their operation to save money and as a result the already resource hungry game became starved. its amazing that this hasnt turned into a massive PR shitshow

TL,DR: turbine has always chosen to throttle back on the game rather than ensuring sufficient resource availability, this is yet another example of that practice. the end result will be the removal of more things you like in the name of lagfix, and youll still lag afterward, anyway. id like to see people react negatively to this 'test' and i wonder why people dont accuse turbine of not reinvesting money into the game.

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #9 - May 14th, 2016 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Funny thing: they've stealth tinkered with this stuff before. Historically, the platform "blocking" Schemes has always started in the down position. Until 2-3 updates ago it changed to always being in the up position in a new instance. As of u31, it's about 50/50 starting up or down.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #10 - May 14th, 2016 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on May 14th, 2016 at 12:06pm:
Funny thing: they've stealth tinkered with this stuff before. Historically, the platform "blocking" Schemes has always started in the down position. Until 2-3 updates ago it changed to always being in the up position in a new instance. As of u31, it's about 50/50 starting up or down.

I can't believe there are still people that care enough to check that kind of shit  Cheesy

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2016 at 4:47am
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on May 14th, 2016 at 10:13am:
wouldnt the resulting effect have been GREATER in the past, when FAR MORE players were simultaneously triggering these "lag causing conditions" like completions and getting renown? Further more, wouldnt the lag have subsided as more and more players quit due to that same lag?

One word : Virtualization.

Whe we had a GREATER number of players the servers were 32 bit hardware... Now they are 64bits virtual entities...
There's an issue with the culprits known as renown awarding and quest objective that causes lag spikes in the instance they occurs.
This issue appeared at the time of the move to a Virtual Server Setup... before that it was not there.

The logic say that the issue is caused by the changes that occured in the move. They need to look at how these scripts interract with the virtual system and fix the fucking issue. It can be crippling and a wipe source in quests like Wyrm, Peaks and DoJ. ( if enough people gets renown in chain you just get stuck in a slideshow, add the quests objectives into the thing and you can get unrecoverable situations. )

the platforms in cannith are basically hard coded players. they are dynamic entities that must always exist, the code that allows them to exist and perform is always active on the server.

Anything that moves has to be treated as a player character...
That include roaming NPCs, the Dragons flying high in the sky, the moving platforms, the cranes, the ... well the list is quite long.
But for most of them the script in on the client side since they are doing a predictable path. Said script is just triggered by a message from the server upon entering the area. Only the dynamic entities that do not follow a fixed path are hardcoded server side and completely treated as a player character.... And that's basically all the mobs and not much more.

IP Logged

Barkabout
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - May 15th, 2016 at 6:34am
Print Post  

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #13 - May 16th, 2016 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on May 15th, 2016 at 4:47am:
One word : Virtualization.

Whe we had a GREATER number of players the servers were 32 bit hardware... Now they are 64bits virtual entities...
There's an issue with the culprits known as renown awarding and quest objective that causes lag spikes in the instance they occurs.
This issue appeared at the time of the move to a Virtual Server Setup... before that it was not there.

The logic say that the issue is caused by the changes that occured in the move. They need to look at how these scripts interract with the virtual system and fix the fucking issue. It can be crippling and a wipe source in quests like Wyrm, Peaks and DoJ. ( if enough people gets renown in chain you just get stuck in a slideshow, add the quests objectives into the thing and you can get unrecoverable situations. )

Anything that moves has to be treated as a player character...
That include roaming NPCs, the Dragons flying high in the sky, the moving platforms, the cranes, the ... well the list is quite long.
But for most of them the script in on the client side since they are doing a predictable path. Said script is just triggered by a message from the server upon entering the area. Only the dynamic entities that do not follow a fixed path are hardcoded server side and completely treated as a player character.... And that's basically all the mobs and not much more.

all your posts communicate as little as possible using as many words as possible.

regarding your first "point" (?) all i can do is assume you failed to grasp the context of my post and apologize for not wording it in a manner that was easier to comprehend. sorry.

your second "point" (again not sure what is the point) seems to just be an attempt to disagree with known facts. Things that need to sync across multiple clients are handled on the server. things that dont need to sync are not.

there were problems long long before the move, there's been problems with lag since before u5 and you are retarded for dismissing this in your post. the things they blame are not issues, but are affected by the issue. if you have a stroke, they dont blame the blood for failing to reach your cells, they blame the fucking blockage. data is not the blockage. stop trying to justify their stance that the game from 2005 is too robust for current hardware standards. if this game was run by the same people who run google's infrastructure, none of these issues would exist. the blame lies solely on turbine, not guild renown, not auras, not lantern archons, not red alert, not TWF, you twat

the tldr at the bottom was left for people who cant handle text walls, ill repaste it since you clearly didnt get the gist of the post.

TL,DR: turbine has always chosen to throttle back on the game rather than ensuring sufficient resource availability, this is yet another example of that practice. the end result will be the removal of more things you like in the name of lagfix, and youll still lag afterward, anyway. id like to see people react negatively to this 'test' and i wonder why people dont accuse turbine of not reinvesting money into the game.

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2016 at 3:18am
Print Post  
Barkabout wrote on May 15th, 2016 at 6:34am:

She does a fairly good job of showing what a person who was just shot in the head might look like.  Who is she?  I only ask because her outfit provides wood.

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #15 - May 17th, 2016 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on May 17th, 2016 at 3:18am:
She does a fairly good job of showing what a person who was just shot in the head might look like.  Who is she?  I only ask because her outfit provides wood.

Found out for you. LOL.  Actually, he is not a she.
We don't have this show (RuPaul's Drag Race) where I live.

http://logosrupaulsdragrace.wikia.com/wiki/Laganja_Estranja

Quote:
Laganja Estranja
Biographical Information
Drag Name: Laganja Estranja
Date of Birth: Decmeber 28, 1988
Hometown: Dallas, Texas
Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - May 17th, 2016 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on May 17th, 2016 at 5:39am:
Found out for you. LOL.  Actually, he is not a she.
We don't have this show (RuPaul's Drag Race) where I live.

http://logosrupaulsdragrace.wikia.com/wiki/Laganja_Estranja

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/logosrupaulsdragrace/images/1/14/61251_10151...

GD it!  I can almost understand the homophobia and trans phobia out there when a pic like this can make me go "Hmmm, seems interesting.  Might wank to it." and then it turns out to be a guy.  I can see how this might make a person who is unclear about their sexuality upset.  That doesn't excuse violence, but I can almost sympathize.

Hey Wayne?  Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and dressed up like a girl bunny?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2djHEIxPVs

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

()
Special Attention

Hamster cocks expert

Reply #17 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 1:57pm
Print Post  

Halfmaniac wrote on Nov 26th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
I'm pretty sure it is safe to say that KNN has brought a BUNCH of stupid from users on this forum out in the open

Halfmaniac wrote on Nov 26th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Some of you got baited real bad in an attempt to troll him back.

IP Logged

( )
Korthos Resident

Up in you

Reply #18 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 9:10am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint