Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) You think Otto's boxes are p2w... (Read 10430 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

You think Otto's boxes are p2w...
Jul 15th, 2016 at 10:48am
Print Post  
https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/99059447-Level-80-Boost

Quote:
What is the Level-80 Boost and how does it work?
The Level-80 Boost is a consumable item that boosts a character to the maximum level. Activating the boost will start a level 80 trial for the character, moving them to the Silverwastes and temporarily making them level 80 with level-appropriate equipment. If the player likes playing their character at max level, they can make that character permanently level 80 by consuming the boost item.
Video: Learn to Use the Level 80 Boost
How do I get a Level-80 Boost item?
Heart of Thorns owners receive a Level-80 Boost item in a free shared inventory slot as soon as they log in to the game.
What happens after I consume the Level-80 Boost to make a character permanently level 80?
You will receive a package of rewards to help get you started on your level 80 adventures.  The full set of exotic gear that the character received for the trial period will be permanently soulbound to the boosted character.  In addition, this character will receive:
4 15-slot Leather Bags
Orichalcum Harvesting Sickle
Orichalcum Logging Axe
Orichalcum Mining Pick
A Mystic salvage kit
5 Teleport to Friend consumables
1 Celebratory Dye Pack
1 Celebration Booster
A stack of 25 food consumables
A stack of 25 utility consumables
2 Gold
Additionally, if the character hasn't already unlocked them, waypoints in Frostgorge Sound, the Straits of Devastation, and Dry Top will be unlocked.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Re: You think Otto's boxes are p2w...
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 11:24am
Print Post  
This is how games like Destiny manage to not alienate new people who come to play as a game ages.

Its not pay to win, it's smart. Although in Destiny's case, you don't buy anything, you just play for a while to get level appropriate gear.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
I'm not opposed to Otto's boxes.  I use them to shortcut lives I don't like or level ranges where I don't like the quests or the build is in a weak point.

But I know a lot of people whine and don't like "p2win" or "pay not to play" features. 

I agree with you that it would probably be something that newer players would make use of as a game ages and feeling constantly behind is a problem.

IP Logged

longbolts
Dirty Sock

I Love Socks!

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 12:20pm
Print Post  

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
I take issue with the usage of "pay2win" in this instance.

Exactly how are you "Winning"? DDO is not a competitive game. In every other instance(WoW, Guild Wars, Perfect World, etc) where things have been called out as p2w there is usually a heavy PvP element, and buying stuff either gets you there faster or gives you an advantage over other players.

How do you call it paying to "win" in a game that has no win condition and does not pit you against other players?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Never played GW2 but I'd think the difference is that there's shitton of stuff to do at cap ?
While in ddo ...well, fuck.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 15th, 2016 at 1:35pm:
Never played GW2 but I'd think the difference is that there's shitton of stuff to do at cap ?

I think that's the thing most people don't get about DDO: the ENTIRE GAME is the end-game thanks to the TR mechanic.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Dunno about that mate, Waterworks with a character you spent 5 years playing, gearing and improving doesn't sound that exciting.

I get tring, it's fun now and then, but if the whole game is about character building and improvement and there's no content to put all that in use, then what's the point ?

Ok, it's a game so it's waste of time basically but you get my point.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 15th, 2016 at 2:04pm:
Dunno about that mate, Waterworks with a character you spent 5 years playing, gearing and improving doesn't sound that exciting.

I get tring, it's fun now and then, but if the whole game is about character building and improvement and there's no content to put all that in use, then what's the point ?

Ok, it's a game so it's waste of time basically but you get my point.

I wish they would have the balls to put some content out there that is virtually unable to be completed without proper character building, improvement, gearing, and strategy and coordination.  But that ship has sailed.  Both for Turbine and the player base.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jul 15th, 2016 at 1:35pm:

No not really.  I played GW2 for the last 3 years, mostly WvW which was really fun but Anet just let the game mode die through neglect and changes in the game mechanics that ruined large scale combat, leading to what people call "the pirate ship" where blobs of 20 or more attack each other from range, rather than really push in for melee.  Anet also really likes the "one mistake and your dead" mechanic which can be extremely frustrating as a new player.  But it's an interesting alternative to ddo if you are looking for something different...  combat ain't bad and you can dodge...

IP Logged

Illiterate
Titan Demolisher

Yataaaa

Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 15th, 2016 at 2:24pm:
I wish they would have the balls to put some content out there that is virtually unable to be completed without proper character building, improvement, gearing, and strategy and coordination.  But that ship has sailed.  Both for Turbine and the player base.

Some of the latest quest packs are more difficult than the other quests at the same level. There is a noticeable difference in difficulty between the Archons chain and GH walkups, on Heroic Elite mobs have like 3-4 times more HP, and being spammed by the abishais blasts without evasion must be quite painful (haven't experienced it myself because I always have evasion, but i've seen other people get killed in seconds).

« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2016 at 3:13pm by Illiterate »  

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 15th, 2016 at 12:45pm:
I take issue with the usage of "pay2win" in this instance.

Exactly how are you "Winning"? DDO is not a competitive game. In every other instance(WoW, Guild Wars, Perfect World, etc) where things have been called out as p2w there is usually a heavy PvP element, and buying stuff either gets you there faster or gives you an advantage over other players.

How do you call it paying to "win" in a game that has no win condition and does not pit you against other players?

You aren't pitted against other players specifically, but when you are declined a spot in a raid because your 28 point first life character can't perform a job that a 36 point build with a pile of past lives can, then it is a valid consideration.

Sure, that 36 point character with the pile of past lives could have been earned across years of play.  Or, since this is a valid possibility given the store, they could just be some noob whale who bought 10 Otto's Boxes and is better than you only because they bought their way to the top.

Now, I don't really think that this is a valid argument.  Nor do I think it is worth bitching about.  But the fact that this scenario is possible does seem to fret some people greatly.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2016 at 3:45pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

TornadoJoe
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
TL:DR

It's pay to win when I traded duped scales for two, then used them 40+ times each. I didn't pay shit, other than my VIP monthly.

IP Logged

DDORumors2
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Asheras=DDOTalk71

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 2:05am
Print Post  
This is totally different.  Unlike DDO, there is no re-incarnation in GW2.  Once you hit 80, you're done forever.  BAM.  You don't need to continuously eat Otto's to max out your character.  Also, a lot of content starts at level 80.  Leveling up is more like a tutorial.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #15 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 8:51am
Print Post  
DDORumors2 wrote on Jul 16th, 2016 at 1:22am:
Asheras=DDOTalk71

Sigh.  Another Grand sock.  (Why bother making it if you are just going to out it immediately)?

You could have just posted a link to where I said this 6 years ago (and have referenced a few times in the last several months)

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1283071966/75

I know the sock master probably finds this shocking, but when this board was formed everyone was here for a common interest and it no one would  hide behind a legion of fake accounts.  What are  you up to?  30 socks?  Ridiiculous.  There used to be a Vault channel on Khyber so that vaulties could talk in game and group together.  At one point a guild as well just for vaulties.  Those were good times.  Before morons like you showed up.

« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2016 at 9:16am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

@i@
Dirty Sock

Evading a ban XD

Reply #16 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 16th, 2016 at 8:51am:
Sigh.  Another Grand sock.  (Why bother making it if you are just going to out it immediately)?

You could have just posted a link to where I said this 6 years ago (and have referenced a few times in the last several months)

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1283071966/75

I know the sock master probably finds this shocking, but when this board was formed everyone was here for a common interest and it no one would  hide behind a legion of fake accounts.  What are  you up to?  30 socks?  Ridiiculous.  There used to be a Vault channel on Khyber so that vaulties could talk in game and group together.  At one point a guild as well just for vaulties.  Those were good times.  Before morons like you showed up.

Don't be so mean with Fag Master she got rid of Nignog for you right, didn't she?  Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2016 at 9:42am by @i@ »  

Quote:
No dumbass, they're mediocre. Most of the people have about 6 int in real life and chew rather than playing.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Can't say I'm terribly upset with this concept.

After all, weren't Iconic characters the same idea? Hell, even "Veteran" toons starting at Level 4 or 7?

I don't see many people griping about using them for their experimental builds/ TRs/ whatever. They even came fully geared an equipped right "out of the box".

My only regret is that they don't have "flat" Iconics for every race, with no automatic class levels. I'd buy the shit out of those.

Wipe had a valid point about not wanting to Level through Waterworks on your 64th life. I don't mind, because Epic/ Legendary (HaHa) content interests me not at all, but other people may want to just skip it.

Time is a commodity, so if somebody can pay to keep theirs, well... More power to them.

And yes, having some NewGuy join a group who hasn't paid any dues is annoying, but there's no Death Penalty anymore, so who gives a fuck if he dies 50 times?

Let him learn the ropes riding in a backpack like everyone else.

tl;dr- I'm OK with Otto's Boxes.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 15th, 2016 at 3:40pm:
but when you are declined a spot in a raid because your 28 point first life character can't perform a job that a 36 point build with a pile of past lives can, then it is a valid consideration.

But when does this ever happen? There are 3, maybe 4 raids, total, that require 1 or 2 players to be able to complete a highly specific "job" (shadow kiter on ToD, crystal poper on Shroud/LShroud, etc). And, yeah, a 28pt, first-life character can't do those jobs. But there's also 11 other slots in the raid for someone who CAN do them, and if you are pugging, odds are no one is getting turned away.

The only time I can really see the gimp first-lifer being turned away is from a hardcore raiding guild that's organizing LE content on the regular.

Frankly, I think store-bought mana potions and spirit cakes are considerably more "P2W" than ottos boxes, since they could easily let you complete content you otherwise wouldn't be able to handle.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 18th, 2016 at 1:05pm:
Frankly, I think store-bought mana potions and spirit cakes are considerably more "P2W" than ottos boxes, since they could easily let you complete content you otherwise wouldn't be able to handle.

The argument could be made that the Otto's Box allows you complete content you otherwise wouldn't be able to handle, simply by leveling you up so far past it that you can run it on HE for the favor and the challenge will be negligible.

I don't know.  It's been a long time since I couldn't step into any at-level elite and run it solo.  And for my chars with several past lives, even elites at a few levels above.  Power creep has made trivial almost all content, and so denying someone a raid spot is pretty much a thing of the past.  I've been in raids with newer players who hadn't seen the content where if they said "Hey, I haven't done this before" I'd be sending them tells explaining what was coming up.  They still got a spot, and I didn't have a problem with trying to help them out.

No, let me be Frank.

I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #20 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Mana pots and cakes are worse for the game because they trivialize content.

Ottos boxes don't affect the content challenge level when you do actually run content.  Past lives are much less valuable than unlimited mana and unlimited resurrection.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 18th, 2016 at 1:56pm:
Ottos boxes don't affect the content challenge level when you do actually run content.

How can you claim this?
Is the 'content challenge level' higher or lower if you eat an Otto's Box XP stone and then go run Korthos?

There can be no valid argument that an Otto's Box XP stone doesn't make content easier, simply because it levels the user past the point where the content is a challenge at all. 

The player whose character eats a heroic Otto's Box XP stone isn't going to be running LE content, but they have magically made themselves able to run a huge pile of HE content without any challenge at all.

That is the very definition of 'trivializing content.'
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2016 at 4:31pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #22 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 18th, 2016 at 4:29pm:
How can you claim this?
Is the 'content challenge level' higher or lower if you eat an Otto's Box XP stone and then go run Korthos?

There can be no valid argument that an Otto's Box XP stone doesn't make content easier, simply because it levels the user past the point where the content is a challenge at all. 

The player whose character eats a heroic Otto's Box XP stone isn't going to be running LE content, but they have magically made themselves able to run a huge pile of HE content without any challenge at all.

That is the very definition of 'trivializing content.'

I'd say a few past lives (and build points, if we are comparing to a base 32 point build) are less valuable than unlimited mana.  And let's not use Korthos as the measuring stick.  Past lives and extra build points are magnified at level 1.  +1 or +3 to damage, for example from Monk PL, at level 1 is somewhere between a 20-30% improvement in damage.  Whereas, at level 25-30, it is maybe 1%.  Anything under level 12, except maybe TOEE on Heroic Elite, isn't even in the discussion.  The content is already trivial without past lives or mana pots or rez cakes. 

Challenging content would be the more recent additions in heroic (Curse the Sky, Creeping Death, Larcener, Search and Rescue, etc) or LE content or higher end EE content.

In any challenging content, unlimited mana and unlimited ressurrections are more likely to get a mana using class through the content to completion than a pile of past lives.  Raids aren't necessarily a fair evaluation criteria because rez cakes don't work there. 

Let's take ToEE end fight.  On a sorc, wizard, cleric, favored soul, or druid (non wolf), would you prefer a stack of mana pots and rez cakes on a 32 point build or heroic completionist with no mana pots and only a jibbers blade if you had to ensure you could complete that end fight?  What about WGU on EE?  Think about it in a group vs. solo. 

There is a reason most of the major solo/duo achievements in game have been done by caster classes using unlimited mana.  Unlimited mana is game breaking in terms of balance. 

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 18th, 2016 at 4:45pm:
There is a reason most of the major solo/duo achievements in game have been done by caster classes using unlimited mana.  Unlimited mana is game breaking in terms of balance.

Ok.  I've seen the solo FoTP videos posted by Shiradi builds.  And yes, they have had to drink a few or several mana pots to achieve that.  And I've also duoed FoTP as a melee with another melee.  So by adding only a second person we eliminated the need for mana pots.  So I'm not really seeing your point.  If someone wants to solo a raid meant for 12 people and they have to spend mana pots to do so, how is that 'ptw' as opposed to my experience duoing that exact same content and not needing to drink mana pots?  Sure, they did it with half the people, but you cited solo/duo achievements and my experience is that mana pots aren't needed as long as your duo group is strong enough.

No, let me be Frank.

I will not chone.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #24 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Jul 18th, 2016 at 5:21pm:
Ok.  I've seen the solo FoTP videos posted by Shiradi builds.  And yes, they have had to drink a few or several mana pots to achieve that.  And I've also duoed FoTP as a melee with another melee.  So by adding only a second person we eliminated the need for mana pots.  So I'm not really seeing your point.  If someone wants to solo a raid meant for 12 people and they have to spend mana pots to do so, how is that 'ptw' as opposed to my experience duoing that exact same content and not needing to drink mana pots?  Sure, they did it with half the people, but you cited solo/duo achievements and my experience is that mana pots aren't needed as long as your duo group is strong enough.

We do still have the issue of how do you quantify it as "winning"? The game isn't a competition.

I listed mana pots and rez cakes because they'd let you complete content easier. Past lives don't help you complete content, but getting to rez yourself infinitely(at about 50 cents a rez) does. Mana pots do because you can not worry at all about build or mana effiency, just chug pots and use everything hightened/maxmmized/magnified/extended/quickened/etc/etc/etc.

But I still wouldn't even call that "winning" because this game has no win-condition, at least not as far as the other players are concerned. You getting to solo/duo a raid doesn't mean you "won" and I "lost", it means you did something fun, and I can go do it too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint