Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) 6 Fighter / 14 Wizard (Read 12774 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

6 Fighter / 14 Wizard
Jul 19th, 2016 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Bear with me a moment, because this build sounds really stupid... and probably is.

14 wizard levels gets you into lvl 7 spells and all the fun buffs, that's part of the idea, here.
6 fighter - specifically bastard swords and SWF(hey, wizard, rune arm in the off-hand.

Hardpers tree for Int to Damage (Strategic Combat II in case you're wondering)
Eldritch Knight for some extra fun buffs and permanent Tenser's Transformation
Palemaster for Undead form(vampire at least, shade if humanly possible)

Warforged(bladeforged would be better, but this saves a +1 heart and gives you the option to do both an epic and a heroic TR on 1 life)

Undead robot fightermage!

Again: no idea how effective this will be, but I might play it irregardless because it looks like a lot of fun  and I want to melee/spellcast, damnit!

If anyone can think of a better use for the fighter-feats I'm all ears, though.

Keep in mine I'll be playing this on a character with +7 tomes and about 14+ past lives.

EDIT/UPDATE:

I thought I'd add some information in here about how the build ultimately played out.

1. Race. Going Warfoged/bladeforged was entirely unnecessary. Human would likely be a better choice for the free extra feat.

2. Armor. You can easily use medium armor.. Eldrich Knight tree lets you get past 15% arcane spell failure, no problem. I didn't got for an AC build personally but if you've got the right gear you could get very high AC.

3. PRR. Splash a few points for Stalwart Stance, Eldrich Knight improved Shield, and some gear. I was able to reach 100 PRR pretty easily, more could be possible with better gear.

4. Miss Chances. I liked running Displacement with the Wraith 25% Incorporeality. Improved Shrouding would have been nice, but I barely had enough points into PM to get Wraith Form. You could also probably pull off dodge but I didn't really bother with it.

5. Crowd Control! Which I enjoyed quite a bit. That was my favorite part, just CC stuff and melee.

6. Spells In General. Try to focus on just a few. Running out of buttons is my biggest challenge on casters as it is(Gonna fix that, methinks). I went for Ice Storm and Cloudkill. CloudKill was an unexpected winner.

7. Melee DPS. I'll be honest, it's fairly lackluster. I went for THF/AOE type effects and did well enough. The DPS isn't bad, I saw some good crits. THF is DEFINITELY recommended over SWF. You won't be leading the board on kill counts either way, but AOS DPS is more important than single-target in most cases. The DPS may not be tops, but you can fight your way out if you get in a touch spot.

8. INT vs. STR. I've been going back and forth on this one the whole time. Hapers Int to Hit is easy to get into, Int to Damage is a bit more of an investment. Personally, I had so much STR-enhancing gear that up until level 26 my STR and INT were about even(despite putting all leveling points into INT). Over all STR wins out by virtue of freeing up more points to spend in other areas, but there is enough goodness in Harpers that it may be worth giving up some defense in order to get the Int to Damage. I may respec into it myself.

9. Fun. Oh yes. I started looking at this for flavor, I really liked being a wraith but also enjoy being a melee. Having permanent Tensers also looks cool, especially while gliding around and just exuding death. This build could be a challenge or it coulde just be a flavor, either way it's a lot of fun to play.

Over all, build is totally viable if you're grouping. Hang back and let the tanks do their job and you can really have a lot of fun. A better player than I could probably solo EE content, and really I did well enough in EE with groups. In fact, at higher levels with better gear available I've been doing really well.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

TRd out of the build last night, even haphazardly-geared was doing pretty well. At the higher-end(28+) the build does fine in LH content. Its not top-shelf but you won't be a drain on the team needing constant rezes. Was fun and may be seeing a re-visit down the road.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2016 at 11:17am by noamineo »  

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: 6 Fighter / 14 Wizard
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I've always wanted to do vampire form with PSWF. Reconstruct doesn't work in undead form though.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Reconstruct doesn't really have to if you can get the negative spellpower up high enough. After doing a life using palemaster self-healing techniques I feel like that part at least is viable.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 8:47pm:
Reconstruct doesn't really have to if you can get the negative spellpower up high enough. After doing a life using palemaster self-healing techniques I feel like that part at least is viable.

I've always felt PM or robot was a basic build decision. Both just compromises too much for nearly no gain. Makes even less sense than a robot wolf, since so many of the robot immunities are duplicated by undead form.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Robot is slightly more of a flavor decicion at this point. Plus, there's one simple reason for robot: I have Docents. I do not have robes. I have docents coming out my ears. Blue dragon. black dragon, epics, heroic, I got more docents than you can shake a dead cat at. I have practically no robes Tongue

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 6:49pm:
Hardpers tree for Int to Damage (Strategic Combat II in case you're wondering)

If your goal is melee, Str should probably be your max stat. What will Int do for you, since you'll be spending most of your time swinging? Especially multiclassing with fighter, which can net you 6 more Str, on top of Tenser's 4. That's 10 Str you're leaving in the dirt, which can't be replaced by 10 Int. Plus, you're paying AP for the privilege. KtA will be worthwhile, but Strategic Combat seems counter-productive.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 9:23pm:
Robot is slightly more of a flavor decicion at this point. Plus, there's one simple reason for robot: I have Docents. I do not have robes. I have docents coming out my ears. Blue dragon. black dragon, epics, heroic, I got more docents than you can shake a dead cat at. I have practically no robes

I hear ya.

From a build perspective though, I'm more like: *shrug* Sunken Cost fallacy. You've got to admit most of those docents will be useless regardless. Unless you've got some super-twink rng docent, the only docent that could make a difference is Heartwood, from Search and Rescue.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 9:34pm:
If your goal is melee, Str should probably be your max stat. What will Int do for you, since you'll be spending most of your time swinging? Especially multiclassing with fighter, which can net you 6 more Str, on top of Tenser's 4. That's 10 Str you're leaving in the dirt, which can't be replaced by 10 Int. Plus, you're paying AP for the privilege. KtA will be worthwhile, but Strategic Combat seems counter-productive.

You raise a valid point. Though doesn't INT effect the DC of spells? The goal is to actually be able to melee AND spellcast. Though I think I can still get pretty damn high on both, may just drop harpers.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 9:49pm:
I hear ya.

From a build perspective though, I'm more like: *shrug* Sunken Cost fallacy. You've got to admit most of those docents will be useless regardless. Unless you've got some super-twink rng docent, the only docent that could make a difference is Heartwood, from Search and Rescue.

I have black and blue dragon, blue dragon, heroic and epic, plus some various other high-level epics, the list just goes on and on. I've invested too many lives in robot. On my current life I was still wearing a level 14 robe at 24 because I literally could not find anything better. I have a hard time seeing what I loose on robot vs what I gain in equipment.

IP Logged

Astral
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 3:20am
Print Post  
6 fighter - specifically bastard swords and SWF(hey, wizard, rune arm in the off-hand.

You need 2 arty levels for rune arm.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 3:42am
Print Post  
Bear with me a moment, because this build sounds really stupid... and probably is.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Astral wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 3:20am:
You need 2 arty levels for rune arm.

This is definitely true.

I MEANT to say orb. Yeah. Totally meant that. Ayuip.

Anyway, TRd in last night and split points between INT and and STR. Gear may end up being a tad tricky but I think I should be able to get both stats plenty high. Since it's mainly about buffs and a few choice spells I can afford to let int slide a few points.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 11:19am
Print Post  
You’ll need at least some STR to qualify for the THF feats.  So, that shouldn’t be a complete waste.

There’s some theorycrafting going on in this thread that may be of interest to you:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/476982-The-Arcane-Warrior-3-different-...

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 11:31am
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 11:19am:
You’ll need at least some STR to qualify for the THF feats.  So, that shouldn’t be a complete waste.

There’s some theorycrafting going on in this thread that may be of interest to you:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/476982-The-Arcane-Warrior-3-different-...

Lol fun coincidence: that's actually the thread that made me decide this build could be semi-viable Tongue

I'm going to be doing SWF instead of THF. Mostly I've just always wanted to run around with a sword in one hand and nothing in the other, feels freer. But realistically I'll be carrying an orb, have a few nice ones flitting about.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 10:47am:
Anyway, TRd in last night and split points between INT and and STR. Gear may end up being a tad tricky but I think I should be able to get both stats plenty high. Since it's mainly about buffs and a few choice spells I can afford to let int slide a few points.

Wraith + Death Aura is very durable. Imo, there will still be times you'll miss Con. SWF is great, but I'm inclined to agree with THF, purely because glancing blows will make it less boring. The novelty of standing in a cloud of mobs wears off pretty quickly when you've decided to melee them one at a time instead of firewall/ice storm/etc. Death Aura is your substitute cleave, but it doesn't feel like it helps speed things along, simply because it ticks instead of button-mash. Of course, then there's undead....

My gut says you'll regret splitting between Str. and Int. Keep us updated on how it plays. I'm curious to know if my gut's right.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #14 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 6:41pm:
My gut says you'll regret splitting between Str. and Int. Keep us updated on how it plays. I'm curious to know if my gut's right.

Honestly that's not the only thing I'm likely to regret, if I even notice Tongue

Frankly, I have so much gear that on my recently completed shiradi life my STR was still into the 30s, despite being a dump-stat Tongue I've got plenty in CON, too, so I should have passable hit points.

I am starting to lean towards THF for a fairly simple reason: you still get all the THF bonuses with a bastard sword(my weapon of choice). Then there's also my extensive collection of axes..

Ok, time to take a trip to Fred while I'm still only level 1.

I was actually going to try and stay away from Cleave this life, probably wonb't take the actual cleave'n"great cleave feats. I'll have so many cleave attacks later on... but you're right, its powerful. Also, I will still be firewall/ice storming like a madman. Plus Acid Fog.

This certainly won't be a top-tier build, but at the end of the day I think it'll play pretty well.

Do Lesser Death Aura and Death Aura stack? I could keep those both running! Plus spamming Negative Energy Burst. All in all I feel viable. Will find out, I should get to munch on my otto's rock this evening. I know most people maintain it's easier to grind out the 500k in early heroics, but I honestly prefer the later heroics even if I have to spend forever slogging from 18 to 20. Once I'm in the late heroics I'll have a good feel for the build.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #15 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 6:51pm:
Do Lesser Death Aura and Death Aura stack?

Yes.

I could keep those both running!

Probably won't. It can serve to top up you or your skellie, but as a damage or combat heal, it's very lacking.

NEB is your emergency burst heal. Damaging mobs is a really nice extra, but still an extra.

Acid Fog

Very disappointing spell. Unless there's some trick to getting it to work right, which I missed. Cloudkill surprised me recently, though. It's situationally much more useful than I remember. It actually hurts mobs now. Combine that with having one of the longest durations for its type, and it can now get rid of many mobs in a single cast, even some that take two or three firewalls.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 9:09pm:
Very disappointing spell. Unless there's some trick to getting it to work right, which I missed. Cloudkill surprised me recently, though. It's situationally much more useful than I remember. It actually hurts mobs now. Combine that with having one of the longest durations for its type, and it can now get rid of many mobs in a single cast, even some that take two or three firewalls.

In group its very handy for giving the entire party some cover. And stacking it does do some damage. Its mostly the concealment though.

I'm going to be putting a lot of effort into getting high negative energy spell power and crits, I feel like NEB has GOT to do something in that scenario! But I guess time will tell. I am currently sitting in the Curulean Hills waiting for my 30% potion to tick down so I can chug a 50 Tongue I should be geared and fighting again within the hour!

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Update for all who care: The guild does not suck! My rock got me clear up to level 18 so I'll be 20 and in full stride in no time. It did take a good long while to gear out there, and I still ain't done.

First test was a solo(not even hires) run through Lords of Dust on Heroic Elite. My mana-conservation-fu is dicey, but the DPS was reasonable! Starting to re-think not taking those cleave feats but I may change my mind in epics.

Also, THF was DEFINITELY the way to go. It's reduced my weapon selection some, but cards on the table its definitely better than SWF.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #18 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 3:12am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 11:16pm:
I'm going to be putting a lot of effort into getting high negative energy spell power and crits, I feel like NEB has GOT to do something in that scenario!

Yes, it will cost more SP.

I'm not trying to say NEB is a bad spell. It's a good spell, great for a PM. Its cooldown is a bit longer than say, a fireball's, though. Its damage is a bit lower, and its SP cost is a bit higher.

PM healing really is its best attribute, Imo.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2016 at 11:12am
Print Post  
So when I posted last night I was tripping on Ambien and a tad tongue-tied.

My results on the build so far are positive. Ice Storm is the real winner, slowing everything down helped death aura keep up with the healing. Also I am SO GLAD I took the advice to go full THF instead of SWF!!!!! The clevage really tears mobs apart.

The basic strategy so far is lay down ice storm, then keep death aura up and spam NEB. I kept trying to spam other spells and ran out of mana too fast. NEB is primarily for healing. The build has good DPS output but it pretty squishy. NEB keeps the hit points topped off while dealing some pleasant collateral damage.

When I hit 20 and have a lot more room in my gear, I should be able to get my hit points a lot higher. The Abashai set might also be worth slotting in order to make up some caster level deficiencies, but time will tell.

I think i need to make a second heroic greensteel HP item that goes in a slot other than helm. I've been using the helm since my second life, but it sucks being restricted to just that slot. Neck seems to be pretty open for me on most lives(last life I didn't even wear a necklace), maybe belt or cloak? I already have two seperate SP items to help get around slotting issues.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #20 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 3:21am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 11:16pm:
I am currently sitting in the Curulean Hills waiting for my 30% potion to tick down so I can chug a 50 Tongue

I don't use pots much but my understanding was that when you have multiple pots, the most potent one is active and the other are paused and reactivate once the stronger variety expires. Not sure though.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2016 at 3:22am by crunch »  

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #21 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 5:05am
Print Post  
crunch wrote on Jul 22nd, 2016 at 3:21am:
I don't use pots much but my understanding was that when you have multiple pots, the most potent one is active and the other are paused and reactivate once the stronger variety expires. Not sure though.

Yes. But let him enjoy the view.  Grin

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Experience_Elixirs
Quote:
You can drink multiple potions in succession. The effects don't stack, but they are queued. Your strongest experience elixir will be active first.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #22 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 10:53am
Print Post  
That's interesting, since it works opposite for slayer count boosters. I frequently use minor boosters to "pause" my major boost. I had tried it with XP potions a while back but it didn't work, apparently because of this mechanic.

Damn, wish I'd known Tongue could have saved me an hour of 30% potion!

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #23 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jul 22nd, 2016 at 5:05am:
Yes. But let him enjoy the view.  Grin

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Experience_Elixirs

Hah.  At least he's paying a small price for being too damned lazy to read the wiki and educate himself.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2016 at 12:29pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #24 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jul 22nd, 2016 at 12:29pm:
Hah.  At least he's paying a small price for being too damned lazy to read the wiki and educate himself.

Because the wiki page on experience elixirs is just so damn exciting. It's way more fun than reading about wizard spells or past life feats  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint