Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dwarven HP Blob with dps (Read 2647 times)
Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Dwarven HP Blob with dps
Jan 11th, 2017 at 9:50am
Print Post  
I just want to build something using "Throw your weight around" that actually works, has tons of HP and maybe tier 2 DPS.

I was thinking a maul pally. Better options?

What might it look like?

Any chance Onatar Pally (warhammer) + shield would be any good using the dwarven ENH "Dwarf Fortress" for +7% dmg?

Will the to-hit be enough given STR as a secondary+accuracy item+racial and deity bonuses?

(+7 to +9 to-hit for warhammer vs. maul respectively from ENH; +8 to +10ish dmg + 7%)
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2017 at 10:41am by Head-Meat »  

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Dwarven HP Blob with dps
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 11:00am
Print Post  
If you are doing pally, then the synergy between a Strength + Charisma build is very strong due to divine might.  You might be giving up a little too much.  But it would be viable.

For a TYWA dwarf build, a fighter or barb is worth a look.  The barb is solid because all the rage stuff boosts Con as well as Strength.  The fighter, you can do a con + int build and use KTA and the kensai surge boosts both stats by +8.

You could always splash 6 cleric with 14 fighter on a  dwarf to add in a little self healing and the onatar bonuses that merge nicely with LD bludgeon crit extra and a heavy Kensai and SD AP spend.

Any of these would probably fit the criteria of tier 2 dps.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 11th, 2017 at 11:00am:
If you are doing pally, then the synergy between a Strength + Charisma build is very strong due to divine might.  You might be giving up a little too much.  But it would be viable.

For a TYWA dwarf build, a fighter or barb is worth a look.  The barb is solid because all the rage stuff boosts Con as well as Strength.  The fighter, you can do a con + int build and use KTA and the kensai surge boosts both stats by +8.

You could always splash 6 cleric with 14 fighter on a  dwarf to add in a little self healing and the onatar bonuses that merge nicely with LD bludgeon crit extra and a heavy Kensai and SD AP spend.

Any of these would probably fit the criteria of tier 2 dps. 

Solid points.

Does a S&B ftr have decent DPS these days? Back when I was keeping up it was OKish now but the shieldbashing never worked liked it was supposed to. Is that fixed?

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2017 at 11:10am by Head-Meat »  

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Pure paladin with the capstone from sacred defender.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jan 11th, 2017 at 11:08am:
Solid points.

Does a S&B ftr have decent DPS these days? Back when I was keeping up it was OKish now but the shieldbashing never worked liked it was supposed to. Is that fixed?

Dwarven Vanguard, TYWA build with THF and shield feats and dwarven axe should be acceptable DPS if done properly.  Headman's Chop, Anvil of Thunder, and +Con in LD would help. 

Dire Charge would be a must have on this and the DC should be workable since you want to min/max on Con anyway.

The Fighter version would likely be higher DPS but the Paladin version might be better overall.   Good saves, self healing, self-buffs, Zeal, Holy Sword, etc.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2017 at 12:41pm by Digimonk »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Here's a build:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1477867768

It's fortress, but no TYWA. The problem with TYWA (other than discarding DM synergy) is that it costs 24 AP to have TYWA and Fortress at the same time, and there is no Con to hit ability (and to hit matters in LE).

If you go Maul pally, you will quickly regret not going PDK for Silvanus as that is strictly better:

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1477330451

Also, S&B really needs to go Dwarf Axe or Bastard Sword for the glances, you can still go Onatar and use the MP boost though.

Also, I've concluded that Fighter is better for actual tanking since sacred stance, intolerant blows, and divine righteousness do not stack, but fighter stance stacks with intolerant blows so fighter gives a way higher threat potential. (If for some reason people want to play that way...tank value is debatable at best.)

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 11th, 2017 at 1:04pm:
Here's a build:
...The problem with TYWA (other than discarding DM synergy) is that it costs 24 AP to have TYWA and Fortress at the same time, and there is no Con to hit ability (and to hit matters in LE).

Didn't realize this as I hadn't personally rolled a dwarf.   If TYWA doesn't give Con-to-Hit, it's pretty lame.  You'd definitely be better off going Str with Con and Cha secondary.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint