Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Pure Monk (Read 64944 times)
totally
DQ Assaulter

Re: Pure Monk
Reply #25 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 1st, 2013 at 8:50am:
It does BOTH. Sunder has ALWAYS done the second. The +4 to QP DCs via Improved Sunder is new. See the U19 Release Notes.

From the release notes: The Monk Feat: Quivering Palm now gains DC bonuses from all enhancements, feats, items, and Epic Destiny abilities that increase Sunder DC

Nowhere in the improved sunder feat description on the wiki (or anywhere else) does it state that improved sunder increases base sunder DC by 4, but I'm willing to concede that it's a hidden effect that I've simply never noticed. Have you swapped the feat in/out to check?

Arkat wrote on Oct 1st, 2013 at 9:06am:
Baloney.

-5 to a red or purple boss' AC means squat especially with the advent of FoS's Accuracy suffix. If you are having trouble hittling the big giant spider lady, the jolly green giant, or the big boney dragon without sundering, I suggest you re-roll.

Also, what's the point of lowering red or purple named boss' Fort saves? You can't QP them. You can't Stun them. You can't EiN them. You can't FoD them. You can't Destruct them. Heck, you can't even Waves of Exhaustion them anymore. Besides, I'm skeptical that you can even lower their saves by Sunder or Improved Sunder anyway. Can you even paint mobs blue anymore with Sunder or Shatter??

If you even talk about lowering Fort saves for Orange named bosses, I will laugh. If you can't Stun/QP/FoD, etc. those already without actively using Sunder or Improved Sunder, again, re-roll or upgrade from Starter gear.

^ This. I dropped improved sunder on my horc 16/2/2 build after TRing from a pure helf (I haven't tried swapping it in and seeing whether the DC changes as above though). I used to like improved sunder for increasing the effective DC of TOD, but given that it no longer double strikes, and you have to spend a bunch of points on the dark finishers I've dropped it.

The + 3 sunder DC increase on horc does however provide a static boost to QP DC, and I only have to spend 1 pre-req point to get it. I am not having any issues with my SF DCs, but QP felt a bit lacking. With all the other stuff I want to get from Shintao, Kensai and Ninja Spy, AP were tight, so not needing to spend an additional 5 points in the dwarf tree on fluff felt worth it. Additionally the higher strength increases sunder DC, as well as being able to qualify for OC without spending a level up in strength, or in fact any 3 point stat increases. Stats work out at 18/14/14/10/16/6 (could have got 18 wis by dumping int to 6 and con to 12, but wasn't really that bothered about 1 DC, and being able to max 4 skills, including heal is nice for coccoon). I've currently borked the build though trying to LR in the two druid levels, so sitting at 15m/3f/2d (my own fault for forgetting the stupid LR bug). Still seems pretty solid though, I'm just not getting much benefit from the additional fighter level.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #26 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:29am
Print Post  
YaBB

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #27 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:38am
Print Post  
totally wrote on Oct 1st, 2013 at 9:55am:
From the release notes: The Monk Feat: Quivering Palm now gains DC bonuses from all enhancements, feats, items, and Epic Destiny abilities that increase Sunder DC

Nowhere in the improved sunder feat description on the wiki (or anywhere else) does it state that improved sunder increases base sunder DC by 4,

Yes it does. The tooltip for the feat itself makes it pretty clear:

Quote:
This melee special attack results in a -5 AC penalty and -10% fortification to the target for 24 seconds, if the target fails a Fortitude save (DC 14 + Str mod). Whether successful or unsuccessful, this attack will also reduce an enemy's Fortitude saves by 3, stacking up to 5 times. Some creatures may be immune to the sunder effect.

Contrast with the regular Sunder "feat":

Quote:
A sunder attempt is a melee special attack that, when successful, results in a -4 AC penalty to the target for 12 seconds if it fails a (DC 10 + Str mod) Fortitude save. Some creatures may be immune to the sunder effect.

As you can plainly see, Improved Sunder is one of the things (in this case, a feat) that increases Sunder DCs.

totally wrote on Oct 1st, 2013 at 9:55am:
Have you swapped the feat in/out to check?

I checked my QP DC before and after I swapped out my Toughness feat for Improved Sunder and there was a +4 difference.

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2013 at 2:36pm by Arkat »  

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Deathdefy
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Well shit hey!  Thanks Arkat.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #29 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:48am
Print Post  
No problem man.  Smiley

IP Logged

totally
DQ Assaulter

Reply #30 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:38am:
snip

Ok, my bad then, I had read the tooltip and description, I merely thought that the 14/10 was only referring to use of the active ability. Given how often DDO screws up it's feat descriptions I wasn't sure I could trust it to actually work Cheesy Might have to take it for level 27 feat in which case, as long as I can pick up a 15% melee speed enhance item.

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #31 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 11:42am
Print Post  
-5 to a red or purple boss' AC means squat especially with the advent of FoS's Accuracy suffix

That's not true, there is no such thing as "missing only on 1 ", there was thread with good discussion recently about to hit still making a difference.
It started about oversized twf , even a dev chimed in I think, wish I could find it.
There are some EE red nameds when you can see more misses than you might like.
Also, what's the point of lowering red or purple named boss' Fort saves?

Dark monk life, I remember sundering Elite Horoth, Harry or whatever to get its fort save lower enough to keep triple dark finisher up. - 10 fortification from sunder + another 25 from dark finisher is a big deal raidwide for melees on any high fort boss.
Hell, bring improved destruction on armour for another - 8 if you want.
Depending on individual fort bypass, it can make significant difference, especially for unbridled these days.
More sneak attacks from that rogue ( and yes I remember being reminded by rogue to improved sunder Sully or whatever when tanking on fighter at 4 am my time by , immediately after they started not getting SA on every attack heh )

That - 15 fort save on boss might help that palemaster land necrotic ray for full damage EVERY time in rotation.
Or Avenging Light for divines.
Some affixes on weapons have fort save for half damage, some folks might be using those.

Didn't know about imp sunder directly affecting QP, it's not that clear from the description, and just have not played monk recently, running 2 or more legend TRs are kinda too much.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #32 - Oct 1st, 2013 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Oct 1st, 2013 at 11:42am:
That's not true, there is no such thing as "missing only on 1 ", there was thread with good discussion recently about to hit still making a difference.
It started about oversized twf , even a dev chimed in I think, wish I could find it.
There are some EE red nameds when you can see more misses than you might like.

I'm VERY skeptical of this. Even my pure TWF Rogue is only missing on a 1 now that she has an Accuracy VIII item. To which Red names are you referring??

Wipe wrote on Oct 1st, 2013 at 11:42am:
Didn't know about imp sunder directly affecting QP, it's not that clear from the description, and just have not played monk recently, running 2 or more legend TRs are kinda too much.

It's VERY clear. Perhaps you missed this exchange?

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1380564888/27#27
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2013 at 2:40pm by Arkat »  

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #33 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 3:45am
Print Post  
Arkat, have you actually checked your QP DC and dissected it?

On my monk I currently have a 58 DC.  He has Improved Sunder, but it doesn’t seem to affect it.

10 - Base
09 - 18 Monk levels
02 - 2 Fighter Past Lives
03 - Fighter Tactics III
06 - Legendary Tactics
03 - Grandmaster of Flowers (Capped)
10 - Dun'Robar Sunder Ring
15 - 40 WIS
-------------------------------------

I think what everyone is trying to tell you is that the Improved Sunder attack is a completely different attack than the Sunder attack.  And rather than it being 10 Base DC with a +4 Sunder DC, it’s actually just 14 Base DC.  Or, to put it another way, it doesn't add a +4 to your regular Sunder DC.  It simply gives you a better attack option.

EDIT: Now, maybe it’s a hidden bonus.  Unfortunately, that will require testing in a PvP pit.

Also, what's the point of lowering red or purple named boss' Fort saves? You can't QP them. You can't Stun them. You can't EiN them. You can't FoD them. You can't Destruct them. Heck, you can't even Waves of Exhaustion them anymore. Besides, I'm skeptical that you can even lower their saves by Sunder or Improved Sunder anyway. Can you even paint mobs blue anymore with Sunder or Shatter??

I thought Imp Sunder was all about the fortification debuff.  (Which is a fort save.)
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2013 at 5:37am by QuantumFX »  

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #34 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Now, something *I* would like to know is:  How are you guys gearing your L28 Monks?

The best I could come up with:
Helmet: Black Dragon Helmet: +3 iCON
Goggles: Intricate Field Optics*: +3 iWIS, Trueseeing
Armor: Black Dragonscale Robe
Braciers: Skirmisher's Braciers: +9 DEX, +8% Doublestrike
Ring: Dun'Robar: +2 iSTR, +10 Stunning or Sunder based on your handwraps.
Cloak: Adamantine Cloak of the Bear

Fill in rest with Wonderous Craftsmanship gear.

*Yeah, me getting the +11 EE WIS goggles are somewhere between “Winning the Powerball” and “Snowball's Chance in Hell”.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #35 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 1st, 2013 at 10:38am:
I checked my QP DC before and after I swapped out my Toughness feat for Improved Sunder and there was a +4 difference.

I got Improved sunder yesterday to see if it makes a difference
and nope, no extra +4 dc was added.

So...is it a hidden bonus? is it bugged? or was it stealth "fixed" in the last patch?

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #36 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
I got lost in all the friggin sunder talk. I don't think it adds a passive benefit. I just use it FIRST before an important QP to get the -03 fort save debuff. That's virtually the ONLY think I use it for. I'll throw it in the rotation on bosses too to lower fortification. But I'm not sure how much it matters. I just do that out of habit.

I think the 10 vs 14 thing really only applies to ACTUALLY landing the AC defbuff (+fortification debuff, but regular sunder doesn't do that anyway)
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2013 at 3:16pm by Meat-Head »  

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #37 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Oct 2nd, 2013 at 3:45am:
I think what everyone is trying to tell you is that the Improved Sunder attack is a completely different attack than the Sunder attack.  And rather than it being 10 Base DC with a +4 Sunder DC, it’s actually just 14 Base DC.  Or, to put it another way, it doesn't add a +4 to your regular Sunder DC.  It simply gives you a better attack option.

That seems to be a possible interpretation of the feat. I will, therefore, have to re-check my QP DCs.

Thanks for your PoV.

Reducing Fortification of Bosses DOES seem like a good idea. Hmmm...

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #38 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Best slot for DC monk to have a g.s. HP item?

Any thoughts?

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #39 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I don't use a GS HP item on my main monk anymore. 936 HPs is enough.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #40 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
I've got a shroud necklace

t1. air (hp /dex skills.)
t2. fire (hp / int skills / displace clicky)
t3. Air (sp / cha skills)

It's a hotswap item only.  I've got 800-900hp depending on my ED anyway.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #41 - Oct 6th, 2013 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Oct 2nd, 2013 at 4:50am:
I got Improved sunder yesterday to see if it makes a difference
and nope, no extra +4 dc was added.

So...is it a hidden bonus? is it bugged? or was it stealth "fixed" in the last patch?

Re-checked my QP DC tonight. Started with a 70 DC and had Improved Sunder. Went to Fred and swapped Improved Sunder for something else. Checked my QP DC and it was indeed a 70 still.  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Sorry for the misinformation I apparently spread.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2013 at 1:11am by Arkat »  

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #42 - Oct 6th, 2013 at 2:09am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 6th, 2013 at 1:10am:
Re-checked my QP DC tonight. Started with a 70 DC and had Improved Sunder. Went to Fred and swapped Improved Sunder for something else. Checked my QP DC and it was indeed a 70 still.  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Sorry for the misinformation I apparently spread.

There's three kinds of lies.

Lies.
Damned Lies.
and Arkat.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #43 - Oct 6th, 2013 at 3:21am
Print Post  
Meat-Head wrote on Oct 6th, 2013 at 2:09am:
There's three kinds of lies.

Lies.
Damned Lies.
and Arkat.

It was an honest mistake. I checked it on Lamannia originally and figured it would transfer to Live.

Fuck you.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #44 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 1:14am
Print Post  
Btw, I hate enemy deathward.

Was seeing *immune* messages right and left,
at first I was like da fuq? stun was working fine, but not QPalm...
Inspect monster and ewwwwwww DW ;(

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #45 - Oct 7th, 2013 at 5:36am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 6th, 2013 at 3:21am:
It was an honest mistake. I checked it on Lamannia originally and figured it would transfer to Live.

Fuck you.

Joke. Relax.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #46 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Ok, so I've reached cap and now sitting at 52 unbuffed wisdom.
My SF dc is 75, QP dc is 69. How good are these for current EEs?
Should I be chugging Yugo pots to raise dc by +1, but lose -4 ref save?

For the record, I got just enough str score to get OC:bludgeoning b/c its beast on top earth stance.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #47 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Oct 12th, 2013 at 7:32am:
Ok, so I've reached cap and now sitting at 52 unbuffed wisdom.
My SF dc is 75, QP dc is 69. How good are these for current EEs?
Should I be chugging Yugo pots to raise dc by +1, but lose -4 ref save?

For the record, I got just enough str score to get OC:bludgeoning b/c its beast on top earth stance.

69 + imp sunder is really nice. But, it won't be no-fail in EE stormhorns, I think. Prolly will be anywhere else. Can you breakdown your DC and wis?

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #48 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 5:30pm:
Code
Select All
Wisdom	type			Stun
18	base			10	base
7	levels			14	half character level
5	tome			21	wis mod
2	completionist		14	stunning item
2	monk enhancement	5	combat mastery
1	human enhancment	3	fighter past lives
10	item		 	2	fighter dilly
2	insight			6	legendary tactics
1	exceptional		3	gmof
4	gmof ED wisdom		2	Tacticon

52	Total wisdom		80	Stunning Fist DC

+2 yugo
+2 ship
+2 capstone
+1 profane (not worth giving up +10 deadly / resists to me)
+1 more gmof ED (not worth it giving up 2 points in way of fire)
+4 water stance
+3 alchemical pots
+3 more insight (void dragon)
+2 store bought

74 wisdom.

yeah... I don't have any FTR PLs atm.. Nor do I have completionist Mr. fancypants.

Here's my anticipated layout atm (TRed an leveling into a 16/2/2/ mnk/ftr/pally)

wis

17start
6 LUs
1 human
5 tome
11 item
2 alchemical
3 insight
1 exceptional
2 yugo
2 ship
4 Enhancement
4 destiny
4 water stance

62 wis

2 acute instincts = 64 (not sure on this one yet)

[26-27 mod]  (-2 when DPSing for earth stance)

Q palm

24 mod
3 GMOF
10 shattering item
8 monk level
10 base
6 tactics twist
3 tactics ENH
6 bear cloak

=70 Quivering Palm
+3 Imp Sunder = 73

+2-3 if I swap alchem wraps for sundering 14 or something

possibly 76 Qpalm.

Yeah, I'm going to go with this to fit in O.Crit also.

EIN=

20 Base
28 char
13 wis mod/2

=61.  Good for a lot of quests, but not the newest and hardest.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #49 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Considering 3 Fighter past lives to reach the 80 SF/75 QP plateaus. Depends on what stuff is like in dungeons run by level 29 & level 30 toons.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Send TopicPrint