Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Doom? (Read 26850 times)
Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Re: Doom?
Reply #25 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 9:38am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 14th, 2014 at 7:34pm:
I am slightly confused by your data. The Wayfinder server in particular. There are a few hours of the day in which there are less then 30 people on the server, yet I dont see this reflected in your data. Makes me wonder if all the servers data is the same.

This is measuring log ins.  Char swaps I'm assuming affect this?

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #26 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Jan 14th, 2014 at 7:34pm:
I am slightly confused by your data. The Wayfinder server in particular. There are a few hours of the day in which there are less then 30 people on the server, yet I dont see this reflected in your data. Makes me wonder if all the servers data is the same.

Not sure where there 30 number comes from, but actually it's right there on the graph.

Yesterday there were several hours where under 100 people logged in per hour.  Figure some people are just logging in to check mail, roll the dice, random disconnects, check PUGs (well, Wayfinder, but still…), etc.  If you're seeing 30 people on simultaneously, that's about right.

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #27 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 9:38am:
This is measuring log ins.  Char swaps I'm assuming affect this?

Account logins, not character logins.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #28 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 3:55am
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 5:15pm:
Account logins, not character logins.

So char swapping does not count, but people restarting client due to crash-bug and/or memory leak from char swapping will count.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Doom is overrated.
# of players is not everything. There are so many other things to measure. There are some great articles on Gamasutra that do a great job of showing what F2P models look at. We are a hybrid, so we live in the old way and new way of looking at server/player data. For an old game that just basically had a 'replacement' MMO come out last year, we did wonderfully.

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 9:56am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 9:32am:
Doom is overrated.
# of players is not everything. There are so many other things to measure. There are some great articles on Gamasutra that do a great job of showing what F2P models look at. We are a hybrid, so we live in the old way and new way of looking at server/player data. For an old game that just basically had a 'replacement' MMO come out last year, we did wonderfully.

Thanks for this post.  That's actually the most reassuring thing that I've seen from anyone at Turbine in a long while.  If anyone tried to deny that the number of players active today is less than it was a few years ago, they'd just be laughed at.  Knowing that you at Turbine do see the decline in numbers, but that you expect at least some decline for various reasons and still view DDO as a successful MMO is good news.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Iran is almost having the nuclear bomb since 1993.

http://original.antiwar.com/sahimi/2010/05/04/irans-ever-imminent-nukes/

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #32 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Doom is overrated.

You'll note, while reading the thread that while the title say doom, it's content has almost nothing related to doom. On the other hand dithering and discussing on numbers provided through the API is high in the thread. But since we all know the data from the API are only a part of the information ( there's nothing related to the store for example, or to take a purely gaming point of view, while we have a number of logins per hour, we don't have any data that tells us how long people stay logged in. )

You could probably take a few things from the Replacement MMO, especially on the out of game playing side ( the gateway website is really great, and something similar in DDO would be really nice ) and on the crafting side. ( their crafting is a coherent whole that has some appeal, while DDO crafting is a pack of unrelated stuff that is totally incoherent... The most developed one is Greensteel )

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #33 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:09am
Print Post  
# of players is not everything. There are so many other things to measure.

Great, where can we see them! I'm all for using the best data available. Link please!

Flav wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:32am:
You could probably take a few things from the Replacement MMO

That's ... a tactful understatement. Their crafting system rocks with great inventory management for crafting supplies, DDO's is a jumbled mess. Their Gateway is awesome, DDO closed MyDDO and the API is broken. DDO has Comms and Tokens and stuff that are an inventory nightmare and subject to duplication bugs, their Seals and Coins are a seamless part of of the character sheet without general inventory implications. The list goes on. Steal their good ideas, they'd steal yours without a moment's hesitation.

And on the subjects of NWO Gateway, the DDO API server, and traffic data, their equivalent to MyDDO is ranked 22k in the US by Alexa, better than twice the US rank of DDO's whole everything (http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/playneverwinter.com). You might want to bring that up if the discussion ever wanders back to how important is it to fix the API server. Total Immersion, Continuous Presence, buzz buzz buzz.

Doom is overrated

Doom is NOT overrated, it's a pastime, not a prediction! It's a way to stay connected while not logged in and playing  Cheesy

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #34 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
# of players is not everything. There are so many other things to measure.

I knew I remembered this thinking from somewhere.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Funny dilbert, but not at all what I'm talking about. In the F2P arena 1 player is not equal to another money wise. Some people spend tons, others nothing. If you have a healthy population of big spenders, but not large numbers of players...you see where I'm going.
Historically DDO death is a yearly event. I've heard it every year I've been at Turbine.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #36 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:58pm:
If you have a healthy population of big spenders, but not large numbers of players...

The problem is that what motivates many big spenders to spend big is to do better than "the masses". So losing your small spenders can demotivate some, or maybe many, of your big spenders. And it won't even be immediately obvious, because those big spenders will continue to coast. For a while. Their eventual exit may be the result of a population decline that happened months before. Sales are good, but population is still very important.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

IMARANGER
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
If you have a healthy population of big spenders, but not large numbers of players...you see where I'm going.

It looks like you're saying that there are not a large numbers of players.  So DDO is not an MMORPG anymore?  It's got a small number of players who pay out the ass to avoid the shit grind you folks built into the game?  Sounds like a very good, sustainable business model.

What do you call it these days?  Pay to not play?  Let's coin an acronym: P2NP.  We might also call it the Zynga business model, though that's not a sexy.  Still, you can't miss the point that tons of folks hate playing your game so much they'll pay you money to bypass having to fucking play it.

But you're good at your job!
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:51pm by IMARANGER »  

OnePercenter wrote on Jan 19th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
I agree with 0bama...

OnePercenter wrote on Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:18am:
Not saying that others weren't better, just that quantity does not always indicate quality...  I mean, look at my post count...

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #38 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 12:17am
Print Post  
If you have a healthy population of big spenders, but not large numbers of players...you see where I'm going.

I get it.

I also remember when the only time there were fewer than five market instances on Argo was between 2a and 8a (boston time) and that the game felt a lot more vibrant at that time. 

Historically DDO death is a yearly event. I've heard it every year I've been at Turbine.

It's clear that decision makers are desensitized to player outrage. 

DDO remains a great game in spite of the shenanigans that go on, but repeated Ghostbaning is not healthy. 

Even if the key performance indicators have been chosen to make 2013 into a great year, a trend that culminates in a couple of whales funding the game is not a great business plan.

The game is still fun, but it was more fun with more players.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Sim-Sala-Bim
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Wha...?

Reply #39 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 2:20am
Print Post  

I'm just curious. You heard it from players or staff?

IP Logged

AnalFissure
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 4:02am
Print Post  
DDO is not an MMO... Massively Multiplayer? 6 man quests and 12 man raids are not *Massively* multiplayer. Fucking consoles host larger games than DDO.

DDO is Phantasy Star Online redux.

It's still fun, but it's not an MMO.

And a business model based on whales is not sustainable, as Zynga has shown.

And what the hell is up with Ghallanda? I'm only estimating, but it looks like it has an increase larger than the other servers decline...

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #41 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
There is a circling the drain effect with DDO.  The players express hate at any little thing, no matter what is done by devs, someone will be vociferous in their hatred of it and express their desire for its creator to be fired because it's so bad. 

After a while, management comes to realize that this behavior will never stop no matter what they do, so they then turn a deaf ear to the masses.  Regardless of how viable any suggestions from players are, they won't be heard.  The player population begins to leave, the remaining begin to realize the game is no longer entertaining to them and they begin to look around for something new.  Management is still deaf and the game begins to circle toward the drain even faster.

If you think Turbine is unique in this position, I can assure that ArenaNet and the Guild Wars 2 staff are receiving the same amount of hate as Turbine.  The current difference, so far, is that GW2 staff are still trying to find ways of listening to the good things the players are saying.

Want to see what is probably pinned up in every cubicle at Turbine?  This article

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #42 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
IMARANGER wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:48pm:
But you're good at your job!

Wrong guy dipshit.

FoS said that.  Roll Eyes

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #43 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Funny dilbert, but not at all what I'm talking about. In the F2P arena 1 player is not equal to another money wise. Some people spend tons, others nothing. If you have a healthy population of big spenders, but not large numbers of players...you see where I'm going.

The idea of a niche game or a developer that doesn't need to beat WoW in numbers to consider their game a success is lost of most of the player population.

It's a Ricky Bobby world.  If you are not first, you are last!

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #44 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:14pm:
The problem is that what motivates many big spenders to spend big is to do better than "the masses".

That is debatable.  I spend money on the game.  This logic has nothing to do with it.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #45 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 2:34pm:
That is debatable.  I spend money on the game.  This logic has nothing to do with it.

I didn't claim "all" or even "most", just "many", so not applying to you does not weaken my argument.

And I'm sure you've seen this behavior in game - people who buy a ton of mana pots and supreme tomes to help them run with elite raiding groups, or to help them get an undergeared PUG to completion.

Even just buying cosmetic armor or pets, surely these are more attractive if you have an admiring audience not similarly equipped.

Or maybe it's as simple as you are friends with people who are fun to hang out with but don't spend a ton. If they leave or even just log in less, you are less likely to log in and buy the stacks of potions you use when you run with them.

Even all of those cases don't cover the whole range of motivations for people to spend big in the game, but they add up.

And I don't mean that to be critical of big spenders, it's a natural and healthy aspect of group dynamics. But if Turbine ignores that and feels they can blow off the small spenders, the game is in trouble.

It's 2 pages back now, but near the start of this thread I observed that the current login numbers were good news - most servers are stable for the last 3 or 4 months, ending a year long cycle of decline. And more importantly, signaling that Turbine *can* stop the decline, and that the population isn't in a vicious cycle of decay where shrinking population drives people away leading to ever more shrinking population.

Turbine has the ability and the need to hold population steady, we just have to make sure they realize that, and numerous statements they've made leave me unsure that they do.

IP Logged

The Oracle
Korthos Resident

I See Dead People

Reply #46 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Hijacking my own thread, one concept that you might stir into population numbers is "wallet share."  Customer wallets are finite - how much does Turbine get?  Well in real dollars, the Oracle has spent more on DDO than any other game, albeit over a stretch of time.

In a likely common scenario, the Oracle started as F2P, and like many never had the intention of spending that money at the onset.  It was just that the game warranted the investment, with a combination of earned updates and investment updates, which were fun and worth it.  The pay-only Menace was new and disturbing, but worth it.  And then there was Shadowfell, which has led to only regrets.

As such, while subscribers foot bills, I would suggest those F2P masses represent the real value of the game.  Both as humanity to keep VIPs in a community to play with (or lord over,) and as potential customers that, as long they're in DDO, aren't in something else.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #47 - Jan 17th, 2014 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
The Oracle wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 4:17pm:
In a likely common scenario, the Oracle started as F2P, and like many never had the intention of spending that money at the onset.

Ditto for me. I was F2P for 6 months before my first purchase, and have spent about $500 over the past 4 years. No regrets for $ spent, it was worth it, but I'd like to continue to see a return on my investment. BTW, I own MOTU but not ShadowFail.

Also, F2P (and meaningfully F2P, not F2Try) was a major selling point to get friends to join me, some of which have ended up spending as much as or more than I have.

And I've voted with my wallet, my purchases have been below $100 for late 2012 through early 2014, and are unlikely to be anything at all in 2014. My friends are taking a break that shows no sign of ending soon, and without them I have little incentive to play or pay.

edit: My "walet share" for Turbine was about 75% up to 2012, about 50% in 2012, and about 25% in 2013. And I have thousands of TP still, I made it a point to buy points to support the game, so even if I spent TP in 2014 they aren't likely to be replaced with $ purchases.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2014 at 5:42pm by Meursault »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #48 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Been ViP since the begining ( few weeks after release )...  Considering that the change from Europe ( 15€/month ) to US ( 54€ with change included for 6 month ) dramatically reduced the cost involved and the fact that if I go F2P I won't be able to go back to that 6month plan I'm keeping it.
( between the time I took it and now they added payment in Euro, so if I go F2P and want to go back to VIP I'd that to subscribe to a Euro plan... they are less interesting )

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #49 - Jan 18th, 2014 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Bill Z Bubb wrote on Jan 17th, 2014 at 1:38pm:
There is a circling the drain effect with DDO.  The players express hate at any little thing, no matter what is done by devs, someone will be vociferous in their hatred of it and express their desire for its creator to be fired because it's so bad. 

that's not new.  not new at all.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint