Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO's DnD License (Read 31812 times)
Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

DDO's DnD License
May 11th, 2015 at 4:38pm
Print Post  

Does anyone know when it's set to expire? I thought it was 2015 or 2016. Just curious, I seriously doubt they will be getting it renewed.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: DDO's DnD License
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2015 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Are you thinking that WB will not want to renew or that WoTC will not want to renew?

You are talking about someone giving up on a revenue stream.  Unless the game is losing money, I don't see WB not wanting to keep it going.  If WB wants to continue to pay WoTC for the license, I don't see why they wouldn't take the money.  It clearly isn't exclusive to the point that they can't do Neverwinter Online or Sword Coast Legends, let alone any of their mobile apps or console games. 

What's your logic?   

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2015 at 4:47pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2015 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
I don't think ddo will want to renew or cost to much too renew, since DnD has changed Timelines and went way into the future of the realms. Not saying they couldn't but figured since DDO is so downscaled atm, it wouldn't be worth the renewal cost.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2015 at 4:58pm by Crotch Goblins »  

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2015 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
And not making this a doom thread, was literally just curious. I've been playing 5e and it's a lot different then what ddo has planned for the near future. and 5e is a shit ton better then 4e.. which was like a bad video game with paper. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2015 at 4:58pm by Crotch Goblins »  

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2015 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Crotch,
None of us know for sure when or what it means for DDO.

We have discussed and speculated on here before.
I'm on my phone so can't be bothered googling a link or two sorry.

Search DnD licence or WOTC or Hasbro.

I think we agreed on failing to renew the licence would not see the end of DDO.  They likely could use whatever content they had created up to that point, but would have to go generic thereafter.

As to when, I've heard 2016, but have no reference.
Will they or won't they.  Who knows.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2015 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Would Wizards have included DDO in its Elemental Evil mutlimedia platform if they weren't planning on letting them keep going?  I doubt it.

Was the Temple update so rushed so that they could meet a deadline necessary to keep the license going?  Maybe. 

Were they given a ridiculous deadline to meet  in order to keep their licence by someone who thought they couldn't release it in time, and would thus go quietly into that good night?  Shut up, ConspiracyStark, you have nothing to add here.

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2015 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Big companies would rather shit out utter garbage than lose a license. For an example, think of Sony and The Amazing Spider Man.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 7:35pm:
Would Wizards have included DDO in its Elemental Evil mutlimedia platform if they weren't planning on letting them keep going?  I doubt it.

Yeah, this. Turdbin clearly wants to keep going - the choice between a modest profit and closing down isn't a hard choice. And Turdbin doesn't have an exclusive license, so Hasbro doesn't have any reason to want them out (other than them being somewhat of an embarasment, and the audience that knows what an embarasment they are is mercifully small).

Starkjade wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 7:35pm:
Was the Temple update so rushed so that they could meet a deadline necessary to keep the license going?  Maybe.

Were they given a ridiculous deadline to meet  in order to keep their licence by someone who thought they couldn't release it in time, and would thus go quietly into that good night?  Shut up, ConspiracyStark, you have nothing to add here.

LOL, now that's a fun line of speculation  Cheesy

Revaulting wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 7:38pm:
Big companies would rather shit out utter garbage than lose a license. For an example, think of Sony and The Amazing Spider Man.

Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2015 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.

This assumes they are competent enough to actually know it is garbage.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

HiWelcome
Titan Demolisher

Hi Welcome

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2015 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 7:38pm:
Big companies would rather shit out utter garbage than lose a license.

Turbine finally found something it is good at?   Cheesy

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:31am
Print Post  
As long as the cost to run and maintain the game up added to the cost of the yearly licence fee is above zero you can be sure that the game servers will be kept running.

We might see a soft merge in the not too far future ( though I'm not certain... D&D licence is cheaper than the Middle Earth one, as WoTC/Hasbro is not a purely IP entity... while Saul Zaentz ( aka Tolkien Enterprise, aka Middle Earth Enterprise ) is definitely on the scrooge side of business. ).

For  WoTC/Hasbro : every year there's the licence fee coming in. That's a stable revenue stream, they are not going to kill it without a very good reason.
( even a DDO2 wouldn't kill it, it's basic corporate management : as long as it brings money with no effort, keep it running ).

For Turbine : as long as the first line I typed above is true, they have no reason to kill it either... As it's a revenue stream too.
they might ( and probably will ) streamline the expenditures to maximize the revenues ( less servers, less support, less development, maintenance mode, ... ) for as long as possible.
They will kill the game only when all the upkeeps are costing them more than what they can earn.

It's a clear case of Win-Win situation... Both WoTC/Hasbro and Turbine/WB wins from keeping the game alive as long as economically possible.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

string table error, tableDID
Stormreaver Piker

ah......fresh meat

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:31am
Print Post  
WOTC/Hasbro may not be as greedy as TSR was in its late days but I am sure they will press every possible penny out of the D&D-Franchises. Perhaps there is a "pay less for the license but keep a low profile" agreement with WB?
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2015 at 4:32am by string table error, tableDID »  

You can't win the Vault, you can only make a fool of yourself and be added to my ignore script. Hi Welcome

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - May 12th, 2015 at 10:43am
Print Post  

I agree with the embarrassment part, ToEE was kind of like Egg in the face.

But yeah I was just wondering since again 5e is so much different and DDO unlike the other games "tries/tried" to be loosely based on 3.5..

And my thought line was, cancel the license for DDO/Turbine, re-release a new one to another game company and follow 5e rules which are probably easier for a game to follow. Or maybe even cancel this license and give it back to turbine for another like DDO 2.0 (But god I hope they dont, I'm sick of turbines idiot management team)

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #13 - May 12th, 2015 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Yeah, this. Turdbin clearly wants to keep going - the choice between a modest profit and closing down isn't a hard choice. And Turdbin doesn't have an exclusive license, so Hasbro doesn't have any reason to want them out (other than them being somewhat of an embarasment, and the audience that knows what an embarasment they are is mercifully small).

Is Turbine that much of an embarrassment?  Find me a player base that is happy with the MMO development company.  Cryptic with NWO?  Lol.  Hated.  ArenaNet with GW2?  Getting slammed.  Bioware with SWTOR?  Nope.  Despised. 

I've yet to see an MMO developer that can make it more than 3 or so years without earning scorn for slow content releases, weak content, bugs, nerfs/mechanics changes, lack of consistency with loot, fucked up economy, etc.  All the stuff we bitch about here.

Also, although I am not in the least impressed by their recent work, I do not believe that any developer takes so little pride in their work (or has so little regard for their career in a talent flooded industry) that they prefer to "shit out garbage" and "crack up" at the player base that buys it/uses it.  That is just an ignorant thing to say.   

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #14 - May 12th, 2015 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Crotch Goblins wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 10:43am:
I agree with the embarrassment part, ToEE was kind of like Egg in the face.

But yeah I was just wondering since again 5e is so much different and DDO unlike the other games "tries/tried" to be loosely based on 3.5..

And my thought line was, cancel the license for DDO/Turbine, re-release a new one to another game company and follow 5e rules which are probably easier for a game to follow. Or maybe even cancel this license and give it back to turbine for another like DDO 2.0 (But god I hope they dont, I'm sick of turbines idiot management team)

You are assuming that WoTC wants another MMO platform that is 5e based.   A lot of it might depend on what they want to do with NWO.  Right now they have two MMORPG's.  Do they need a third?  Do they need to kill one of the ones that is making them money and replace it?  Hard to say.  We don't have any data that they would be looking at.

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #15 - May 12th, 2015 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 11:07am:
Is Turbine that much of an embarrassment? 

Yes.

Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 11:07am:
I do not believe that any developer takes so little pride in their work (or has so little regard for their career in a talent flooded industry) that they prefer to "shit out garbage" and "crack up" at the player base that buys it/uses it.

If nothing else, consider these words in the context of Cordovan's game play and dialogue during his DDO cast and that this is what is chosen to represent DDO.  This is an ongoing and very public example of "settling to shit out garbage".

There are countless examples of Turbine being shown the path to a positive customer-vendor relationship and choosing to shit out results that foster animosity - this is their business model per Fernando.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #16 - May 12th, 2015 at 11:40am
Print Post  
OldCoaly wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 11:33am:
Yes.

If nothing else, consider these words in the context of Cordovan's game play and dialogue during his DDO cast and that this is what is chosen to represent DDO.  This is an ongoing and very public example of "settling to shit out garbage".

There are countless examples of Turbine being shown the path to a positive customer-vendor relationship and choosing to shit out results that foster animosity - this is their business model per Fernando.

What is wrong with Cordovan's game play and dialogue?

When did Paiz say that their business model was to "shit out results that foster animosity"?  I've read a lot of producer letters and never saw that one.  Was it in a WikiLeaks email to a Sony exec?
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2015 at 11:41am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - May 12th, 2015 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 11:14am:
You are assuming that WoTC wants another MMO platform that is 5e based.   A lot of it might depend on what they want to do with NWO.  Right now they have two MMORPG's.  Do they need a third?  Do they need to kill one of the ones that is making them money and replace it?  Hard to say.  We don't have any data that they would be looking at.

Actually you're the only one assuming anything. I'm asking questions, and said what my thought pattern was. I did not say THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN. I do not own a crystal ball or a magic 8 ball.

IP Logged

Crotch Goblins
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - May 12th, 2015 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 11:40am:
What is wrong with Cordovan's game play and dialogue?

When did Paiz say that their business model was to "shit out results that foster animosity"?  I've read a lot of producer letters and never saw that one.  Was it in a WikiLeaks email to a Sony exec?

Cordovan is a terrible player, and should not ever set foot in a twitch arena. He makes poor wording choices and either people are just laughing at him or are irritated with him.

And noone had to say it, it's just what history keeps showing us. Smiley

You should go to the MB's and join up with the rest of the Paladins. Smiley

IP Logged

GooFY
Abbot Raider

Just one of those days...

Reply #19 - May 12th, 2015 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Actually he did say something along those lines.  It's in a video that's linked somewhere around here, maybe in even more than one place, but I am far, far too lazy to find it.

IP Logged

Durk
The Deranged

I've got a secret!

Reply #20 - May 12th, 2015 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Back in 2013 I remember a bird with fans telling me the license ended in 2015 and that there was a very slim chance for renewal due to other providers using the IP.

Given the recent updates I am suspecting that the license was renewed, but probably on a yearly basis instead.

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #21 - May 12th, 2015 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Crotch Goblins wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 12:58pm:
Cordovan is a terrible player, and should not ever set foot in a twitch arena.

Should they show someone plowing through EE content in minutes, instead?  Or should they try to show a game that has challenge and a learning curve?

His twitch vids are NOT for veteran players.  They're just to promote the game, and get people involved with the Turbine team.  He may not be terribly eloquent, but he can generally form complete sentences.  I'm sure a large percentage of even the most well-spoken people here turn into stuttering autistics on a mic when they know there's an audience.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #22 - May 12th, 2015 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Crotch Goblins wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 12:58pm:
You should go to the MB's and join up with the rest of the Paladins. Smiley

I was waiting for that. 

Either join the mob mentality or get labeled a Paladin/fanboi.  There is no room here for conversation or alternate points of view. 

I said several times in this thread alone that I think Turbine is doing a poor job and that, as a player, I am disappointed in their performance.  Not sure how that makes me a Turbine Paladin. 

I guess because I didn't just blindly agree with you.  Sorry.  Let me change my point of view:

You are right.  Turbine sucks so much ass and eats so much cum that WoTC must be totally disgusted by them and will definitely refuse to take their calls, let alone renew the license agreement.  WoTC may even drive over to Cordovan's Mom's house and slap her face for giving birth to him because his game play is an atrocity and embarrassment to D&D.  WoTC will most likely decide to license another developer to build a new (3rd) MMO just 2 years after the release of their last MMO.  It will probably be based on 5e. 

Is that better?  Did you get the validation you so desperately are seeking?

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #23 - May 12th, 2015 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Starkjade wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 2:07pm:
Should they show someone plowing through EE content in minutes, instead?  Or should they try to show a game that has challenge and a learning curve?

His twitch vids are NOT for veteran players.  They're just to promote the game, and get people involved with the Turbine team.  He may not be terribly eloquent, but he can generally form complete sentences.  I'm sure a large percentage of even the most well-spoken people here turn into stuttering autistics on a mic when they know there's an audience.

My thoughts exactly.  The people making fun of his rudimentary game play are missing the point that they are not the target audience.  The target audience does not have the UI and screen and game play memorized.  It is not a YouTube clip of "look how bad ass this build is".  It is a sales presentation for novices. 

Better watch out though.  You might get labeled a Paladin.  You can't say anything nice about Cordovan around here.  He is a cunt with no redeeming qualities. 

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #24 - May 12th, 2015 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 2:13pm:
Better watch out though.  You might get labeled a Paladin.  You can't say anything nice about Cordovan around here.  He is a cunt with no redeeming qualities. 

Yeah, sorry. 

Cordo, you are not a good moderator, and I mock your value system.

Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint