Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) hotfix 3.19 (Read 41356 times)
KilgoreTrout
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: hotfix 3.19
Reply #75 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:09am
Print Post  
But seriously Maj, what code practices do you guys use? Do you have source control or is there a flashdisk that does the rounds? The number of issues reintroduced in live after being fixed in Lamma are ridiculous.

Also, do the developers do any form of peer code review?

How does a bug like the Die 20 timer get through QA without being fixed?

Seriously, I'm not being an asshole. As someone who is a software engineer for a company with a complex eco-system I'd love to know what the fuck goes on there.

IP Logged

NOTSunnyshadow
Out of Order

Kobold remember waterworks!

Reply #76 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:27am
Print Post  
KilgoreTrout wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:09am:
But seriously Maj, what code practices do you guys use? Do you have source control or is there a flashdisk that does the rounds? The number of issues reintroduced in live after being fixed in Lamma are ridiculous.

Seriously, I'm not being an asshole. As someone who is a software engineer for a company with a complex eco-system I'd love to know what the fuck goes on there.

Give Majmal some slack - all that was planned in advance.

En taro Tassadar!

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #77 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:28am
Print Post  
NOTSunnyshadow wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:27am:
Give Majmal some slack - all that was planned in advance.

Cheesy

IP Logged

OldCoaly
Puppy Farmer

Why did you think this
time would be different?

Reply #78 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:20am
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 7:15am:
I have that program. And we do track it.

Screenshot or it didn't happen.

Groo The Wanderer wrote on Sep 8th, 2013 at 10:43pm:
they will probably congratulate themselves on how long they "kept it going" never able to see that it could have easily managed to keep itself going for far longer if they had just meddled far less drastically and with some semblance of an actual gameplan.
Darth Anonymous wrote on Feb 1st, 2014 at 1:11pm:
Hearing something has "merit" but we don't have "time" kind of says everything about how Turbine works on things.
eighnuss wrote on May 27th, 2014 at 12:52pm:
everyone but turbine knows that we are sad they are destroying our game
majmalphunktion wrote on Aug 30th, 2013 at 12:12am:
I don't make the game, I just get tested what they build. Sorry you are not happy.
Skoodge wrote on Nov 27th, 2014 at 6:54am:
DDO is easy to summarize - the greatest game to suck the most ass.
GooFY wrote on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:36pm:
Turbine - So incompetent that we are skeptical when they report their own incompetence.  
Meursault wrote on May 11th, 2015 at 8:10pm:
Other companies will settle for shitting out garbage, Turdbin actually prefers to. Especially if they can get us to buy it, that just cracks them up.
Meursault wrote on Nov 12th, 2015 at 2:50pm:
Breaking something and putting it back together isn't as good as not breaking it to begin with, it's not even close.
palmer01 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Devs do not care what players want - they already have an agenda and give out token gestures so the paladins can feel worthy.
PersonaNonGrata wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:24am:
The DDO devs aren't motivated by a positive user experience.

IP Logged

Booooga
Dragon Raider

Drama? What's drama?

Reply #79 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:24am:
Drow cosplay costume of Tolero?

No... my eyes... what the... Cry

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #80 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 11:03am
Print Post  

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #81 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 11:05am
Print Post  
The classic drow look always make me think of this color of horse

IP Logged

KilgoreTrout
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #82 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:24am:
Drow cosplay costume of Tolero?

The one in the middle looks kind of like the type that I would try to pick up in nightclubs after about 6 beers in my glory/single days. Cuteish and seemingly attainable in my drunkenish state.

Also, I may be about half way through a bottle of wine right now.

I'm not too proud of that either.

Also, at least she has the pride not to go all blackface and shit.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2014 at 11:54am by KilgoreTrout »  

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #83 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
KilgoreTrout wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 9:09am:

Yes we have version control
yes we do peer reviews
QA missed it because shit happens. (read into that and what happened recently and it will appear as a word about being under...ssss...)
Software complexity...yes this is a problem. KISS was not something that was followed at points during the long history of DDO. We pay for those sins constantly. So many times good intentions turn into something else evil.

IP Logged

Gringo
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #84 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
btw where are all those white knights on motherforums? havent seen any long time - thats pretty strange

IP Logged

iliveyourdream13
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #85 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 12:02pm:
yes we do peer reviews
QA missed it because shit happens. (read into that and what happened recently and it will appear as a word about being under...ssss...)
Software complexity...yes this is a problem. KISS was not something that was followed at points during the long history of DDO. We pay for those sins constantly. So many times good intentions turn into something else evil.

If QA is where you expect to catch software flaws you're doing it wrong.  A QA department is the most over-rated methodology for catching software flaws ever.  The best QA does is user verification testing.  Tooling has long surpassed the point where you should have automated testing firing through every known code path and reporting out the results.

I can only imagine your cyclomatic complexity score.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Had to do it...
Reply #86 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 12:49pm
Print Post  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

KilgoreTrout
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #87 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
yes we do peer reviews

I've been in this position before. Software quality drops, everyone is overworked and stressed so people start making even more stupid mistakes. You're client base is starting to get restless and nobody feels good when their work is being criticized all the time. People get a bit half-arsed because that is just human nature.

Management needs to realize that some sort of critical mass has been reached and it isn't business as usual.

You need to get a trunk branch working as it is now, give all the engineers a Friday family day and long weekend to reset.

Then implement a new feature freeze and spend one iteration just working on quality of life fixes while artists can start working on the airship and Epic 3BC stuff. You don't even need to fix the big stuff. Get as much of the low hanging fruit fixes sorted as possible. Little one or two hour fixes here and there that add up over a two or three week sprint so you have a huge whack of stuff to get customers back on your side. Seeing a bug list halve in size is awesome for the morale of everyone. You'll find developers not forgetting to merge shit from the bug fix branches to trunk as frequently as well, I guarantee it.

Then after that take another break. Give everyone a Friday afternoon off and on Monday start working on those features. You'll be amazed at how quickly people will catch up with the "lost" iteration. Your customers will be happier, devs will be happier and you'll find that happy customers are willing to spend more cash.

Anyway, enough of this.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2014 at 2:29pm by KilgoreTrout »  

IP Logged

majmalphunktion
Major Motherfucking Malphunktion

I Love Drama!

Reply #88 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
It is not that really.
Some of the things suggested, automated code checking exc. are awesome for our new game...and this does exist on IC. 
For this thing, the 7+ years of who knows how many toes have been in the code pool. I doubt HAL 9000 could see down all the rabbit holes of a 7 year old MMO by any company.
Unlike something that you can tie a ribbon and version off, MMO's stay live. They have to always be backwards compatable. You cannot break legacy. These kinds of things stop us from doing 'the right thing'. We know how to fix say, handwraps. But to fix it, and version successfully, and not break people, or now god forbid support two types of handwraps...it's ROI. Some investments are just not worth the pain. Sadly there are many of these warts now in DDO. And maybe there is an argument that there were times that we should have been more aggressive about revamping things, killing others, exc.
Now take all of that, apply shared scripting that the ancients used, and attempt to untangle the web.
Why does it get missed. Sheer numbers usually. I have a few, you have many. You find the edge cases or the thing missed. 20000 vs the few.
It's cool, QA is used to the hate. We still have your back. You have no idea how much pain we spare you from.
Lag is the hands down biggest deal right now. It has a refocus on it...again. We have found some things, that again were designed poorly by the ancients that we can fix and hopefully help in raids, and big ass party situations.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #89 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
I thought everything was thoroughly planned at Turbine WELL in advance.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #90 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 2:55pm:
It is not that really.
Some of the things suggested, automated code checking exc. are awesome for our new game...and this does exist on IC. 
For this thing, the 7+ years of who knows how many toes have been in the code pool. I doubt HAL 9000 could see down all the rabbit holes of a 7 year old MMO by any company.
Unlike something that you can tie a ribbon and version off, MMO's stay live. They have to always be backwards compatable. You cannot break legacy. These kinds of things stop us from doing 'the right thing'. We know how to fix say, handwraps. But to fix it, and version successfully, and not break people, or now god forbid support two types of handwraps...it's ROI. Some investments are just not worth the pain. Sadly there are many of these warts now in DDO. And maybe there is an argument that there were times that we should have been more aggressive about revamping things, killing others, exc.
Now take all of that, apply shared scripting that the ancients used, and attempt to untangle the web.
Why does it get missed. Sheer numbers usually. I have a few, you have many. You find the edge cases or the thing missed. 20000 vs the few.
It's cool, QA is used to the hate. We still have your back. You have no idea how much pain we spare you from.
Lag is the hands down biggest deal right now. It has a refocus on it...again. We have found some things, that again were designed poorly by the ancients that we can fix and hopefully help in raids, and big ass party situations.

Maj, seriously now the lag is 50% of the problem in this game. Every time we have a new pack we have the freezing lag of death. I ran the raids 1 time each and i have no intention to play it again cos the lag. Why the crippling lag in EVERY NEW PACK?

Most of the ppl just give up to try it cos the lag...
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:05pm by ILoveExploits »  

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

Shadehater
Dropbear Awareness Society

Smite Stupid!

Reply #91 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Sometimes door is a mushroom

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #92 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
It is not that really.

I'd be cool with giving up all of my old handwraps to get a new Handwrap-weapon that works right.  I know I'm not your only constituent, but I just wanted to share my opinion.  Smiley

IP Logged

Hathorian
Waterworks Kobold

blah

Reply #93 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
yes we do peer reviews

It does sound like you are seriously understaffed. QA 'department' of 1?

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #94 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
It is not that really.

I was going to say take a cue from Telco... our system upgrades are fully backward compatible ( when we don't fail at catching The Bug they makes them backward incompatible ).
But you nailed the heart of the matter : ROI.

So for the unwashed masses of the Vaulties :
It means that in the 7 year old Spaghetti that the DDO code is nothing will get fixed unless it's really worth ( financially speaking ) to fix it. Personally I have no problem with that, I have to deal with fucking bugs all day long ( or broken hardware ).

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Booooga
Dragon Raider

Drama? What's drama?

Reply #95 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
It is not that really.

If lag is your main concern, why the hell do you make new quests a la "every encounter on elite is a guaranteed red alert?"

IP Logged

JustOneGuy
Korthos Resident

Reply #96 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 3:55pm
Print Post  

Oh, it can, it's just pointless to do it.  It's going to spit out a list of problems about three times as long as your codebase, if you're lucky, and you'll spend 80% of your time just sanitizing your code to meet the norms of the automated tool..which might find a few end cases, but equally might break something that was accidentally working right (sometimes two bugs make a right).  It's a horrendous effort to add something like that to a large, mature code base, and it takes a long time before you start to get to the benefits of it.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #97 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Booooga wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 10:51am:
No... my eyes... what the... Cry

Nice costume for Jerry on the far left. I didn't know he shaved his beard.

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Meli
Titan Demolisher

Reply #98 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 4:04pm
Print Post  

Oh wow... this is great news that it's got new attention.

Because of lag zoning is becoming a big issue for me now when it never was before....

IP Logged

FakeStrake
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama, Derailment
and Duping!

Reply #99 - Mar 20th, 2014 at 4:09pm
Print Post  

Wow, the DDO population is lower than I thought
Unless Maj missed a "0"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint